Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Games you regret buying.

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:43 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 12:43 AM #51 of 132
Two titles spring to mind pretty quickly.

Unlimited SaGa - Got this on it's release date for 50 bucks. I have tried, God knows I have tried to give this game a fair shake. I just cannot get into even a single character's quest. Just a matter of a few months later, used copies were everywhere for ten or so bucks.

The .hack series - The first one was mildly enjoyable. The second one was just like the first only slightly harder. I bought the third one but hardly laid a finger on the game at all. These games were the first in a long while that I've actually traded in for store credit (along with Graffiti Kingdom, another disappointment).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:18 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 03:18 AM #52 of 132
Sadly there was a ton of crappy PS1 RPGs that came out. Several I own.

Darkstone - $9.99 and looked semi decent. Boy, don't buy cheap games. HORRIBLE load times, and each save took SIX BLOCKS. Gameplay consisted of 1 piece of music (only heard at the beginning), and tons of stop and go action. The graphics were semi decent though.

Beyond the Beyond - MY EYES. MY EARS. MY...Oh how I suffered for about 5 minutes before I couldn't stand it any more.

Final Fantasy Anthology - Besides the bad loading times, the beautiful FF VI SNES sound was trashed.

Parasite Eve 2 - While the original Parasite Eve was awesome, Square decided to turn it into a Resident Evil clone. But they failed. Miserably. Poor controls, bad music, and boring gameplay compared to the original.

I swear, there were only 3 good RPGs on the PS1, and one was a remake.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
terrakazama
Carob Nut

Member 6081

Level 4.94

May 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:49 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 04:49 AM #53 of 132
This one Orphen game for the PS2... I liked the anime, and it was "cheap" (not really; $14.99) at Costco and like the silly girl I was then, I went ahead and purchased it. Played it and cried a little afterwards.

Devil May Cry 2. I think that speaks for itself. I pre-ordered it and bought the strategy guide and everything just to own DMC-related stuff. I still haven't finished it.

Also, Brain Age. I bought that with my DS Lite and now I want to sell it, even for a super cheap price if need be. I guess it kept me occupied while I had no other DS/GBA games, but after a while it gets repetitive. Plus the doctor guy kinda creeps me out.

I think that's it, though. Most games I own I enjoyed or don't mind keeping.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:45 PM #54 of 132
Originally Posted by SOJC
Shadow the Hedgehog: Bought it on the day it was released, got Sonic Heroes free with it(gave that to a friend because I had it already)...Music in levels wasn't great...Black Doom sounded like Claw from Inspector Gadget...Sonic was undermined in the entire game...the 10 endings were meaningless...having to hear "This is who I am" 10 times...the gameplay was slowed down by having to find enemies to kill to complete a mission...the list of things wrong with this game is endless...although Super Shadow cutscene was pretty sweet...compared to this Sonic Heroes was fantastic...

I like the first and last level of Sonic Heroes...it had good gameplay...just a bad storyline...Metal Sonic FTW...unfortunate last words for Ryan Drummand(sp?) as Sonic...
One of the reasons I regretted buying Shadow the Hedgehog was because well...I bought it for the PS2 (slow downs galore, I should've went for the XBox version). Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with the whole slowing down to shoot bad guys thing. That's another reason why I never tried to go A-rank on all of the missions like I did with Sonic Adventure 1, 2, and Sonic Heroes. The music in the game wasn't too bad, "I Am" was very kick ass. I was excited about the multiple endings in the game...then I realized they weren't that great. Final boss was alright, but the ending and the game overall was a bit of a letdown. Oh well, the soundtrack was alright.

I miss Ryan Drummond and the original cast. That's why I didn't get Sonic Riders for Gamecube. I kinda regret buying Riders as well, but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. Japanese Sonic cast ftw.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 04:46 PM #55 of 132
Soul Calibur II (GCN)

They cashed in big time on Link, but it's more of the same of what the original Soul Calibur was. Proof of that is, the same exact choreography was used in I & II in the character demos.

House of the Dead 2 (DC)

The game is fun the first time around, heck even in arcades. I usually pick up both guns and go berserk but once you get passed all that you come to realize that Sega just pocketed $40 of your dollars in addition to scoring alittle extra because you were duped to purchase a light gun. I was seriously hoping for more games such as Time Crisis but that never surfaced at all and before you knew it the DC was dead. :doh: I've heard better acting at school plays and that's all I got to say about the game before being issued a warning. :argue:

FELIPE NO
devilmaycry
Chocobo

Member 4461

Level 13.07

Apr 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:19 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 09:19 PM #56 of 132
House of the Dead 2? I got that one and I didn't regret it! Why you ask? Because I didn't bought it to 'home fun', I got to train my skills and got for arcade fun!!

Guess what? It worked! Me and my freind were able to finish it on the arcades with 2 coins and still have some spare lifes in the end.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SOJC
General of the Army of Spoons

Member 10884

Level 5.11

Aug 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:54 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 02:54 AM #57 of 132
Originally Posted by SuperSonic
One of the reasons I regretted buying Shadow the Hedgehog was because well...I bought it for the PS2 (slow downs galore, I should've went for the XBox version). Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with the whole slowing down to shoot bad guys thing. That's another reason why I never tried to go A-rank on all of the missions like I did with Sonic Adventure 1, 2, and Sonic Heroes. The music in the game wasn't too bad, "I Am" was very kick ass. I was excited about the multiple endings in the game...then I realized they weren't that great. Final boss was alright, but the ending and the game overall was a bit of a letdown. Oh well, the soundtrack was alright.

I miss Ryan Drummond and the original cast. That's why I didn't get Sonic Riders for Gamecube. I kinda regret buying Riders as well, but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. Japanese Sonic cast ftw.
Well, I got all A-Ranks in like two days, only really struggling with the level where you had to find 30 bombs on the circuit boards to blow up the internet or something... and Hard Mode was really very easy...and no huge challenge...and not worth getting A-Ranks for...
The game in general was too easy, and it was too slow...Lava Shelter was an awesome level though...and probably the best bit about the game(except the cutscenes involving the Eclipse Cannon).

I was lucky enough to get a demo of Sonic Riders before I thought about buying it and the birds' voices made me cringe...
And although I say I don't like the new voices, I do like Robotnik's 'new' voice, he sounds much better in games than he does in Sonic X...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Making the world a spoonier place
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:21 PM #58 of 132
Originally Posted by Gechmir
Blazing Dragons: I didn't buy this stinker. My brother did. Early PS1 adventure-game title. He made it sound like a badass sorta action or RPG game. "YOU'RE A DRAGON AND YOU INVENT STUFF" oh, really. Got into it and was all "the fuck is this." We beat it eventually, but Rob wasted about $40 on the game. I laughed at that, since the game was a horrible mockery of the genre. Wasn't very funny at all. AT ALL.

Blazing Dragons was more enjoyable if you liked Monty Python-esque humor. I love the game, still play it from time to time. The cartoon series was great too. :P

For me:

Beyond the Beyond. (PSX) OH MY GOD WHY. "Oh hay look, it's the first RPG for PS1. YAY!" Play it a couple days "Oh hay, let's make the strongest character in the game be curse for the ENTIRE GAME." Grrrr. The game was awful. Looked to me like a very poor Lunar rip-off.

Vanguard Bandits. (PSX) Granted, the game probably isn't all that bad, but I only bought the game for the Lunar 2 demo. The game, I dunno. I just regret buying it.

CastleVania: Legacy of Darkness. (N64) UGH. To me, it felt just like the other CastleVania N64 game. I swear I'd think it was the same game, just with a guy who can turn into a werewolf instead. ._.

Evil Dead: Hail to the King (PSX) Granted, I bought this cause it was shown off as "Resident Evil meets Ash" more liek Resident Evil meets Ass amirite? The game was just poorly done and I'm ashamed that it had anything to do with Evil Dead. Fistful of Boomstick made up for it then, in a million ways.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

MTGNecro
A family man: Be one.

Member 3730

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:01 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 09:01 PM #59 of 132
Um...I just bought Doom 3 today...

Am I going to regret buying it? The horror game thing does not freak me out, but I heard really mixed reviews about it.

Oh, I got it for Xbox too since my comp is elsewhere...

I forgot my old sig...
Mortuary
Syklis Green

Member 10985

Level 8.35

Aug 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:18 AM #60 of 132
Originally Posted by dagget
Vanguard Bandits. (PSX) Granted, the game probably isn't all that bad, but I only bought the game for the Lunar 2 demo. The game, I dunno. I just regret buying it.
I thought that this game was actually pretty good! It just lacked a little something. Maybe a little depth in the battle system. The story wasn't all that great too. But overall I enjoyed this game and thought it was really good. I have weird tastes sometimes.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:27 AM #61 of 132
Originally Posted by Mortuary
I thought that this game was actually pretty good! It just lacked a little something. Maybe a little depth in the battle system. The story wasn't all that great too. But overall I enjoyed this game and thought it was really good. I have weird tastes sometimes.

Like I said, it was OK. I bought this the same day I bought Rhapsody (which I regret selling, heh) I think some of the battles got a bit too "impossible" for me and I'd end up getting 3 people killed before I had a chance to do anything. I don't play SRPGs that well, with the exception of FFT and Vandal Hearts. I really should stop buying them. heh

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:19 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 08:19 PM #62 of 132
Originally Posted by MTGNecro
Um...I just bought Doom 3 today...

Am I going to regret buying it? The horror game thing does not freak me out, but I heard really mixed reviews about it.

Oh, I got it for Xbox too since my comp is elsewhere...
I liked it, and I'm not a big fan of first person shitters. The Xbox version contains Doom and Doom 2 as well, right? Can't go wrong with Doom 2, unless you spill cat food on it or something!

Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:35 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 06:35 PM #63 of 132
F.E.A.R. - My comp couldn't handle the graphics.. The game couldn't load after the first stage. ;_;

Ephemeral Fantasia - I have absolutely no idea how to complete the game. Even after 20 over tries.

Unlimited Saga - Didn't even bother trying to complete the game.

Games that can't even be called games: Maken, Wrath Unleashed, Death by Degrees, etc.

And there are many others I couldn't recall right away.

FELIPE NO
WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:31 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 05:31 AM #64 of 132
Nintendogs - sorta fun and interesting for a week, only DS game I've ever traded in

World of Warcraft - when a single game takes up every evening of your life, you can't help but sorta regret buying it in the first place

- WraithTwo -

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:22 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 01:22 AM #65 of 132
Originally Posted by Sir VG
I swear, there were only 3 good RPGs on the PS1, and one was a remake.
Uh okay. Let me just throw some out there; Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy 7, Grandia and Star Ocean 2 come to mind. I count 7, and they're all good games. It's great that you have selective taste but minimizing a console's RPG catagory to THREE when it has probably the largest RPG archive is just stupid.

It would be nice if you thought before typing.

Last edited by Elixir; Aug 18, 2006 at 07:37 AM.
Dogen
there's no marmalade

Member 10236

Level 7.02

Jul 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:44 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 01:44 PM #66 of 132
Originally Posted by WraithTwo
Nintendogs - sorta fun and interesting for a week, only DS game I've ever traded in..
Yeah, initially I loved Nintendogs, but within a few days I was simply sick of it.

I regret buying Electroplankton too. I imported the Japanese version as soon a I got wind of it. But paying £30 or so for something so basic felt like a waste. You see, I'm not very musically gifted, so in my hands it really was ever so basic.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:15 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 07:15 AM #67 of 132
Originally Posted by Elixir
Uh okay. Let me just throw some out there; Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy 7, Grandia and Star Ocean 2 come to mind. I count 7, and they're all good games. It's great that you have selective taste but minimizing a console's RPG catagory to THREE when it has probably the largest RPG archive is just stupid.

It would be nice if you thought before typing.
I didn't like Xenogears, FFT, and FF7 filled me with rage. The others I haven't played and don't have any interest in.

And 3 was only a rough figure anyways. Understand that figures are never exact.

And you forgot about Lunar 2. Which blew the Sega CD version out of the water. I almost can't even consider it a remake, but a remastery.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:13 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 10:13 PM #68 of 132
Sorry, both of you forgot about Vagrant Story. Now shut up and take it elsewhere.

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:24 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 01:24 PM #69 of 132
Originally Posted by Sir VG
Darkstone - $9.99 and looked semi decent. Boy, don't buy cheap games. HORRIBLE load times, and each save took SIX BLOCKS. Gameplay consisted of 1 piece of music (only heard at the beginning), and tons of stop and go action. The graphics were semi decent though.
The PC version of this game wasn't so bad. I played it through once, and enjoyed it quite a bit for the price. I imagine a PS1 port would've been very poor though. Saves and load times were fine, you could set your soundtrack. That alone solves 9/10 of the games issues.

Originally Posted by T1249NTSCJ
Soul Calibur II (GCN)

They cashed in big time on Link, but it's more of the same of what the original Soul Calibur was. Proof of that is, the same exact choreography was used in I & II in the character demos.
I didnt get a ton of chance to play SC on DC (as many others) so this was a great buy in my book.

My number one would have to be Jet Force Gemini. Paid waaaay to much for a game that just doesn't cut it. I couldn't get past the controls. #2 would be Luigi's Mansion. Don't know what I was thinking but it really is not my type of game.

~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)

Last edited by TheReverend; Aug 18, 2006 at 02:42 PM.
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:37 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 12:37 AM #70 of 132
Universal Combat (PC)
Ground Control: Operation Exodus (PC)

Both of these games are awful, and I'm not sure what made me buy them. But I do regret buying both of them. Especially Universal Combat, it is possibly the worst game I have ever had the dis-pleasure of playing.

SOJC
General of the Army of Spoons

Member 10884

Level 5.11

Aug 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:15 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 02:15 AM #71 of 132
Originally Posted by WraithTwo
Nintendogs - sorta fun and interesting for a week, only DS game I've ever traded in
Animal Crossing: Wild World was the same for me, too much commitment is required...and my interest in it only lasts a week when I do get round to playing it...

FELIPE NO
Making the world a spoonier place
Mortuary
Syklis Green

Member 10985

Level 8.35

Aug 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:16 PM #72 of 132
Originally Posted by dagget
Like I said, it was OK. I bought this the same day I bought Rhapsody (which I regret selling, heh) I think some of the battles got a bit too "impossible" for me and I'd end up getting 3 people killed before I had a chance to do anything. I don't play SRPGs that well, with the exception of FFT and Vandal Hearts. I really should stop buying them. heh
You're right. Some of the battle were horrendously difficult to get past unscarred. That was one of the game's down point.

PKO
!

Member 656

Level 5.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:50 PM #73 of 132
Only game in recent memory that I regret buying is Chaos Field for the GCN. I guess I had it coming though; I knew the game was bad, I was just really itching to play a vertical shooter and I thought $20 wasn't bad but for this game it definitely was.

Formerly Zero-Fate
Sharaz Jek
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 10557

Level 3.31

Aug 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:09 PM #74 of 132
Hoshigami was the only major mistake. Although Soul Caliber III was a major disappointment. It seems far less balanced than any of its previous incarnations.

How ya doing, buddy?
MTGNecro
A family man: Be one.

Member 3730

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:45 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 10:45 PM #75 of 132
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
I liked it, and I'm not a big fan of first person shitters. The Xbox version contains Doom and Doom 2 as well, right? Can't go wrong with Doom 2, unless you spill cat food on it or something!
*Several days and Doom 3 levels later*

That is the deluxe version, and I was looking for a good, cheap, FPS. It was that or Black, which I heard little about. Doom 3 = 12$ Doom 3 Deluxe Ed. = 50$

Thats me....cheap ^_^

I forgot my old sig...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Games you regret buying.