Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Gears of War 3 - Garr's Grenade Erection Delivery Service

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:51 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2011, 04:51 AM #1 of 45
Gears of War 3 - Garr's Grenade Erection Delivery Service

So how is there not already a thread for this?

How's everyone enjoying it so far? Thoughts on the campaign/multiplayer? Does anyone else hate Jace as much as I do, especially after the end of Act 3?

Regarding the story:
Spoiler:
Quite a few questions were answered, like why Marcus was in jail until the beginning of Gears 1 and where the hell Adam Fenix was this whole time, but just as many went unanswered. Like how did Adam and Queen Myrrah meet and why the hell does Myrrah look human? Maybe those answers are in the books?

Dom's sacrifice was the saddest moment in the game by far. Hell probably one of the saddest deaths in video game history, even if it did cheese it up a little with the Mad World instrumental. My best friend and I had followed the games since the beginning, with him as Marcus and me as Dom and after that scene, we almost didn't even want to play anymore, we were so sad. And then it has you playing as that waste of a character Jace right afterward. I was pretty upset.

Adam's death was sad, but only because he's Marcus's father. I sort of feel like it was shoehorned in there, just to give the game another emotional aspect. There wasn't nearly enough development in his character to really form any kind of attachment to him, unlike Dom.

All in all, it's a decent enough end to the story. I didn't much care for the Deus ex Machina, kill every Locust in the world weapon, but after dropping Lightmass Bombs into their tunnels and sinking entire cities to flood them, there's not much else you can do to get rid of them, I suppose.

I'm having a lot of fun with multiplayer so far, but I think we could've done without the Sawed-Off Shotgun. The Gnasher is powerful enough as it is, and as close as you have to get to do any damage with the Sawed-Off, you may as well just use the Gnasher. I suppose it's good for taking out multiple targets at once, but I've yet to see two people close enough together for that to happen. And if they are, most of the time they've already seen you and are unloading clips to put you down before you can get close enough to do it. Otherwise, it seems a lot more balanced than 2. I have games where I get utterly destroyed, but I'll have just as many where I'm at least in the top three at the end of a round.

Beast Mode is fun, but I feel like it was a wasted opportunity. It's an interesting reversal of Horde Mode, but I think it would've been much more fun with human players instead of AI, sort of like the versus mode in Left 4 Dead or Dead Space 2. Maybe something for Epic to consider in future patches.

Horde Mode is greatly improved over 2's, which was already great fun to begin with. I love the new tower defense elements, and having to spend money to pick up the more powerful weapons adds a nice extra challenge to it. I've only seen the first boss wave so far, but after two brumaks, I can only imagine how much more insane it'll get.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:59 AM 1 #2 of 45
TIME TO BRING THE HEAT

WHOO

GAME ON BABY

TIME TO BRING THE HEAT

WHOO

(Protip: Don't play with the thrashball machines until after you've killed all the enemies, right Skills?)

There's nowhere I can't reach.

#654: Braixen
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:09 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2011, 08:09 AM #3 of 45
COLE TRAIN RUNS ON WHOLE GRAIN, BABY. WHOO!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:18 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2011, 09:18 PM #4 of 45
Just got started now. I am down for Horde/Co-op campaign because I'm just THAT awful in multi.

About level 8 right now before we had to stop for the night.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:36 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2011, 10:36 PM #5 of 45
TIME TO BRING THE HEAT

WHOO

GAME ON BABY

TIME TO BRING THE HEAT

WHOO

(Protip: Don't play with the thrashball machines until after you've killed all the enemies, right Skills?)
::suddenly fire::

I was speaking idiomatically.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:56 AM #6 of 45
Alright you bitchessssss, I'm off tonight and will be around most of tomorrow. We need to get some multi going.

I swear I'll write a proper post about the game at some point. Short mode: It's fucking great.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

#654: Braixen
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:11 PM Local time: Sep 28, 2011, 09:11 AM #7 of 45
We've got a four day weekend this week, so I'm good for pretty much whenever over the next four days.

FELIPE NO
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:31 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2011, 07:31 PM #8 of 45
This game is really fun!
In the middle of the story, no time for mp or playing in general actually. Hopefully I can finnish it this weekend!

no homo
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:47 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2011, 11:47 AM #9 of 45
Anyone gonna be around for some 5P shit this weekend?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:47 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2011, 06:47 AM #10 of 45
I've been really enjoying Gears 3, much more than I enjoyed Gears 2. I've been really getting into the multi thanks to Skills, Garr, Sim, Omagnus, and Term. I'm getting decent at deathmatch.

I've gotten a lot of the achievements so far, but I still need to finish up the 4 player co-op, the co-op, and insane achievements for campaign. Hope we can get something going on this next weekend so I can get Act 4 and 5 done 4 player insane arcade.

Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:19 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2011, 11:19 PM #11 of 45
This game is leaps and bounds better than the second game, especially the multiplayer. Dedicated servers are the best thing to happen to this game when they work. It has been so much fun wrecking assholes and delivering grenade erections with you guys in the various modes we've done.
I still think this game needs some sort of message, icon, or other notification about server status. Today was a touch flakey with them being down like that and all of that hilarity lag.

Quote:
I would also like to continue doing the four player co-op we started this last weekend. Realistically, those last three campaign achievements are going to be the only ones I'll have the patience to get. Socialite will just take time when an event is up, but Seriously 3.0 can fuck right off.
I have completely lost track of who needs what chapters with regards to campaign and difficulties/player counts. Maybe people should post them here which ranges they need for both requirements.

Looking at how the event calendar has only three events by the end of October, I'm curious about how often they'll appear and if getting 60 or 70 or whatever it was for that Onyx is even viable or if it'll be a few years out before we see that thing popping legit.

And Seriously 3.0 relies on that, and good lord that nemesis execution thing. =\

Quote:
One Armored Kantus vs. five COGs on Insane Horde is easily the highlight of Horde right now for me.
Laughing forever. I've never seen that much failure condensed into 15 seconds before.

LIAR

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:51 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2011, 06:51 AM #12 of 45
ITT: No one ever follows skills ever again for fear of mutilation.

I need Acts 4 and 5 full for Insane 4 player co-op. I have 1-3 done.

I also need to do executions, and since it'll take me forever to unlock certain executions, means I have to find places in the campaign to get it done (lol mortar execution).

Outside of that, its grinding medals either by getting decent at the game (which I'm getting better at, thankfully), or by using dummy controller and bot tricks to grind out (# of X played etc).

EDIT: oh, also, I'd like to get at least one insane beast run going sometime in the near future so I can get the I'm a beast! onyx, assuming skills doesn't lead us all to our deaths there too.

Most amazing jew boots
SimDaddyGT
Rage Prower

Member 92

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:37 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2011, 06:37 PM #13 of 45
Agreed on an Insane no-fail Beast run. I'd also like to do that, if not solely for the shits and giggles of Skills leading a "Sheep-to-the-Slaughter" scenario, then for the Onyx medal as well.

As far as Campaign/Arcade goes... let's see:

Insane - Need 4-4 to End
4-player - Need 1-3 to 4-2

Medal grinding won't really mean shit for me, as I'm not gonna bother with Seriously 3.0.

I was speaking idiomatically.
LIAR

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:41 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2011, 10:41 AM #14 of 45
I am also down for an Insane run, but there is no way in hell we're going to have a no-fail run. I know the medal says that just like it did for Horde, but you can actually fail a wave and still be fine. It's how I got my casual Beast medal out of the way.

That onyx is going to be tough though. Not at all a sure thing like Insane Horde on Trenches.
One of our Gears glitched then. I did a casual beast run and only failed once, didn't get the bronze for it. I honestly think that we can do an insane run, beast isn't that hard really, its just tough with one person. Get 5 people as berserkers = dead COGs. I think the only difficulty is that with 5 people, the money is split so it gets harder to advance up the beast tree. That being said, its only 12 waves, we can figure it out.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:42 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2011, 09:42 PM #15 of 45
anyone got a tip for how to get that mortar execution?

no homo
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:31 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2011, 07:31 PM #16 of 45
Play the chapter in Act 1 where you play as Cole/Baird, and get to the part where they start shooting mortars at you. When you go to kill them, aim for the legs.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LIAR

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:03 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2011, 07:03 AM #17 of 45
Just make sure you can grab the mortar and get over to a downed opponent before the horrible AI kills the downed guy. Sometimes I really hate the AI.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:25 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2011, 08:25 AM #18 of 45
Don't know if you've gotten that mortar execution yet, Zip, but I've just remembered another great spot near the end of Act 5. Shouldn't be hard to miss, as he's pretty much all by himself in the middle of the area he's in. Just work your way around to him and rush him down.

LIAR

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:50 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2011, 06:50 AM #19 of 45
Don't know if you've gotten that mortar execution yet, Zip, but I've just remembered another great spot near the end of Act 5. Shouldn't be hard to miss, as he's pretty much all by himself in the middle of the area he's in. Just work your way around to him and rush him down.
Act 5 is actually a great place to get most of the executions. Specifically Ascention. You get the mortar, boomshot, hammerburst, and torque bow all in that main lobby area where you wait for the elevators. Up in the hallway just before the door with the red lasers, you get the boom shield, mulcher, and one shot. You can grab the sawed off shot-gun from Sam. You start with the Gnasher, lancer, and boltok pistol. Pretty sure you can get the Snub from there too.

That just leaves the digger, scorcher, and longshot. You can get the digger on Act 2 Chapter 1 up the hill. You can get the Scorcher on Act 5 "Blackout" just after the lift. You can get the longshot, well, lots of places, but probably most common in Act 2 when you have to stealth run the grub base.

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:18 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2011, 10:18 PM #20 of 45
thx duudes, been working on those but forza4 has eaten my time. Add me to xblv (z1p2kx) if u guyz wanna play sum tho

no homo
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:15 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2011, 10:15 AM #21 of 45
Horde Command is completely killed for me by not being in the standard matchmaking hoppers. I guess it's to avoid splitting the community, but they could do it Call of Duty style where they're in the playlists, but only will trigger if everyone in the room has 'em?

Not the best solution since they'll come up less often in MP than way than the standard maps, but beats a dedicated DLC playlist that'll split the playerbase, or this, which just makes it kinda useless.

RAAM's Shadow is far more interesting, I like the idea of what they're trying to present but I'm not sure if I'll grab it right away or what.

Most amazing jew boots
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:21 PM Local time: Nov 1, 2011, 10:21 PM #22 of 45
That's a pretty big kick in the junk. Especially since now with the free update you'll be able to actually PLAY these maps in matchmaking. Which makes the Horde thing even more useless, I imagine?

Very lame.

Most amazing jew boots
SimDaddyGT
Rage Prower

Member 92

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:48 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2011, 08:48 PM #23 of 45
And even more info regarding Gears 3.

Quote:
Title Update 2 for Gears of War 3 went live last night, bringing with it a range of fixes and additions, including a new Spectator Mode option for gaming leagues, with 5v5 matches now being 4v4 with an optional spot on each team for a spectator.

Then there's easier medals, which should help towards earning that elusive 'Seriously 3.0' achievement. Both the Vengeful and Leader medals are now easier to get hold of, as are the Roadie Comet and Regen Enemies mutators. There are also tweaks to the user interface, such as a visual indicator showing where the ring is going to be next during the last 10 points in King of the Hill, and an option to switch of the HUD altogether for machinima and video creators.

And finally, there are exploit fixes, bug fixes for progression issues and profile freezing, as well as host migration for Horde mode that will enable you to continue from the same wave you were on. Here's the complete list of changes that Title Update 2 has added, via the Epic Community site:

Improvements

A spectator mode option has been added to private versus matches for broadcasting by gaming leagues.
One player on each team will be able to choose spectator mode during match set up.
The matches will be 4v4 with two spectators
The Leader and Vengeful medals are now easier to acquire.
The mutators Roadie Comet and Regen Enemies are now easier to acquire.
Added an option to disable the HUD during multiplayer games for machinima and video creators
Added a visual indicator of the next ring’s location during the last 10 ring points in KOTH.

Exploit Fixes

The Onyx Field Engineer medal can no longer be prestiged.
In Capture the Leader, the overhead Beams on DryDock are no longer accessible.
While affected by the Smoke Grenade stun, players will no longer be able to take hostages, pick up weapons or revive teammates.

General Fixes

If there is a host migration during Horde, the match will resume at the same wave.
Also during Horde, the Combat Engineer ribbon can now be achieved once per wave instead of once per game.
The Ranked Disconnect stat will no longer increase when quitting a standard Horde or Beast game.
The cringe from the Mortar will no longer cause players to drop their primary weapon.
The Hail Mary ribbon is now correctly awarded for long distance Boomshot headshots.
Maps will no longer be immediately repeated when choosing random map selection.
If the host pauses during a private versus match the game will continue for other players.
The game will still pause in the Campaign, Beast and Horde.
Potential fix for the rare lost progress issue.
Potential fix for the rare profile freezing issue.
Beast leaderboard screen no longer refreshes while sending challenges
Didn't know it was humanely possible to score a Boomshot Headshot, but whatevs.

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:35 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2011, 11:35 PM 3 #24 of 45
Also laughing forever at "the price of free" comment.
Laughing forever.

I was unaware that something you paid for was free.

Other industries need their marketing departments to catch up.

"Just give us 20 grand for no reason and we'll give you this FREE CAR."

I will sell millions of Mazdas

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SimDaddyGT
Rage Prower

Member 92

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:30 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2011, 05:30 PM #25 of 45
I'd read about a custom skin pack that was to be awarded to players who had already completed, or need to complete, the campaign on Insane. Didn't realize that was the tie-in. A month of mystery down the drain, I guess.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Gears of War 3 - Garr's Grenade Erection Delivery Service