Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Halo 3: ODST - Regular Niggas: The Game

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 05:15 AM #1 of 58
Halo 3: ODST - Regular Niggas: The Game

Well it's here folks. Dropped on 9/22/09, no more pesky Master Chief, you can now play as a bunch of regular ass space marines for the low low price of $60! Well alright, the ODST are actually better than the regular UNSC marines, but lets conveniently ignore that.

The game bridges the gap between Halo 2 and 3, focusing on the events that happen on Earth while the Chief is busy dicking around somewhere else and not saving the Earth. This is where you, the Rookie, and your squad of five other regular niggas come in. You drop in from space to save the day, only some shit happens and you kinda miss the party and have to go around exploring the city to find out what happened to everyone else while you were dicking around not doing anything, Master Chief style.

The gameplay is pretty neat, for the most part. I spent most of the game running around at night with the Pistol/Carbine/Sniper and fought everything from afar, since up close combat will get you fucked up pretty quick without Spartan armor/shields. It honestly felt more like a mix between Call of Duty and Halo 1 than Halo 3, which is a pretty good thing.

The actual "missions" were all varied enough and full of "fuck yeah!" moments to make it feel worthwhile, even if the campaign was kinda short.

I know a few of you bums went out and got this too, so sound off already. What'd you think of the campaign and so on? Is Dutch not the best regular nigga ever? Has Skills already 1000'd it because he has no life?

Also, you bastards need to get on Firefight more. I looked at the leaderboards and saw that nobody has yet to top the benchmark that was set by The Greatest Team™:

(funny pictures of Daravon being lit on fire by invis Brutes/getting betrayed about five times by Tails to come later)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

#654: Braixen
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 05:20 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2009, 12:20 PM #2 of 58
Hoping the discussion doesn't devolve into FULL-GAME PRICED DLC 2 HOUR CAMPAIGN SHIT GRAPHICS RROD MY FIRST FPS NO EXCLUSIVES like on the rest of the internet. Mine shipped a bit back and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Been looking forward to it quite a lot. playin dat batman while I wait

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 05:31 AM #3 of 58
Really? I think most of the impressions I've heard around here have been positive.

Yeah it's kinda short (7+ hours or so if you run straight through and don't bother to do any exploration and such) but the H3 engine still holds up rather nicely and the graphics look just fine. Music is also on the plus side as well.

I didn't mind the price tag since it comes with Firefight and all of the MP Halo 3 shit, which is perfect because my old H3 disc was unreadable.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 05:56 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2009, 12:56 PM #4 of 58
Yeah, I seem to keep browsing around areas where people who haven't played the game insist on saying dismissive things about it. Plus the game apparently ran over ESheep's mother the way he was hissing in chat about it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:35 AM #5 of 58
The campaign mode is certainly harder than Halo 2 and 3, even 1 on normal.

"you aren't even new to this halo thing are you, okay here's your controls now have a million aliens all shooting at you"

Pretty awesome to say the least. I haven't tried Firefight yet since there's been no night so far this week when #xblive people have said "let's play" so hopefully that'll change this weekend.

I was speaking idiomatically.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 07:31 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2009, 12:31 PM #6 of 58
I've discussed this with Skills a little, but I'm inclined to say that this could possibly be the best Halo campaign going. It is a little short, yes, but it's pretty awesome throughout, the sense of atmosphere and characterisation are both excellent, and the music is pretty damn sweet too. There's no sodding flood showing up two-thirds of the way through the game either.

So yeah, I loved the campaign to pieces, and now look forward to playing through co-op with people on Legendary.

Also, if anyone's down for Firefight then count me in.

Regarding the price though, how was it priced in North America? In the UK it's been released at a lower price point and is generally being sold for £30, or around that price, rather than the more typical £40-45.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 07:49 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2009, 02:49 PM #7 of 58
Mine shipped for €45 (about 64 dollars), while usually new PS3 and 360 games go for €59 (about $84).

FELIPE NO

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:25 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2009, 01:25 PM #8 of 58
Oh oh oh here's an important question. Is split-screen multi STILL locked at 4:3?

vvv Well fuck, it's no longer an urgent purchase. Shall likely wait until christmas on this one.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bloggs
Gold Chocobo

Member 501

Level 30.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:33 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2009, 01:33 PM #9 of 58
Oh oh oh here's an important question. Is split-screen multi STILL locked at 4:3?
Sadly, yes.

I pretty much agree with Omagnus. By far my favourite Halo game. The game cost me 35 quid, which isn't too shabby. I've paid more monies for far crappier games, plus they've thrown in Halo 3 online so what's not to like?

Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:59 AM #10 of 58
I have been debating getting this but I'm not sure it's worth paying $60 for.. I mean it's basically Halo 3 without the overshields right?

And Firefight is the same thing as Gears of Wars' "Horde" mode right?

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:27 AM #11 of 58
No, it's not Halo 3 without the overshields. It plays much differently, for starters. You play from the perspective of the Rookie, alone wandering the city at night, and a lot of firefights will be fought from a distance or using hit and run tactics since the enemy is very capable of surrounding you (especially in big plazas) and doing you in quickly. The other half of the game is played from the perspective of your teammates in large, open firefight-esque situations.

Essentially it is a Halo game, but it plays out much differently then the 3 main titles.

As for Firefight mode, it's Horde but with major improvements. The areas are much larger (and the maps don't suck), the enemies are greater in number, and the the skull modifications mix things up quite a bit. That and this one feels like an actual challenge. Horde mode boiled down to finding the best corner, mowing down through 8 or so waves until the Bloodmounts came, then shielding yourself up in a corner and killing those until the waves reset.

Firefight gets progressively harder unlike Horde, and I can see it having longer playability.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:43 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2009, 10:43 PM #12 of 58
That, and Halo games have a control scheme that doesn't suck ass.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:58 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2009, 08:58 AM #13 of 58
I ordered mine and should get it Tuesday, then I can teach you nerds how to get shot properly.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:54 AM 1 #14 of 58
I ordered mine and should get it Tuesday, then I can teach you nerds how to get shot cheat properly.

(Really though? Awesome. I haven't played a game with you in fucking forever man.)

Yushiro
Able Squad, More Like Awesome Squad

Member 4745

Level 10.03

Apr 2006

Old Sep 25, 2009, 05:52 PM #15 of 58
I wasn't going to get it originally (still haven't bothered to beat Halo 3 yet, or like 80 other 360 games either for that matter), but Amazon was selling it for basically 40 bucks ($48 gold box, and $10 off next game purchase). Should be the same deal still for anyone wanting to, you know, not pay full price for a brand new game.

Anyway, I haven't had the time to even start playing it yet, but I'm sure I'll catch up with you circle-jerking whorebags eventually.

FELIPE NO
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2009, 04:46 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2009, 09:46 PM #16 of 58
OK, so just played a little session of Firefight and fucking loving that mode an awful lot. And I say little session, well one game lasted an hour, and the second two hours, not that either felt that long at all. The campaign alone had made the cost of the game worthwhile as far as I was concerned, but with Firefight mode too, well damn.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:05 PM #17 of 58
Good to hear people are actually going to be picking this up.

Any of you bitches down for some Heroic/Legendary bullshit this Monday? I'll be off Mon/Wed this week and should have plenty of time from the afternoon on to get some shit going.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:43 AM Local time: Sep 27, 2009, 08:43 AM #18 of 58
Skills and I were talking about doing Legendary campaign stuff Monday (your) afternoon. This relies on Skills actually being around, but if so, you down?

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:40 AM Local time: Sep 27, 2009, 05:40 PM #19 of 58
I'll join in, if lag permits. Monday afternoon should be like Monday night for me.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2009, 06:31 AM #20 of 58
Skills and I were talking about doing Legendary campaign stuff Monday (your) afternoon. This relies on Skills actually being around, but if so, you down?
Yes to both you and Bigblah. I'll be in #xblive for sure, and Skills has my phone, just have him ring me if I'm not there.

Also I heard there's been reports of lag during play in Firefight between people from different countries, is this true? It seems odd considering we didn't really have that issue when playing Halo 3, what's the deal?

How ya doing, buddy?

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:26 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2009, 12:26 PM #21 of 58
Yes to both you and Bigblah. I'll be in #xblive for sure, and Skills has my phone, just have him ring me if I'm not there.

Also I heard there's been reports of lag during play in Firefight between people from different countries, is this true? It seems odd considering we didn't really have that issue when playing Halo 3, what's the deal?
Firefight seems like it's far more touchy than you'd expect. Playing with Shake was literally impossible. You wouldn't be able to move. Playing with Sim was bad enough, there would be periods where we'd lock up for several seconds to half a minute, but luckily it didn't drop him (and end the match) until we were in the third set. I hope it works for Blah.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:42 PM #22 of 58
Firefight and ODST Campaign run off the same netcode Halo 3 Campaign did, which me and Skills tried with Bigblah on launch day and it was completely unplayable (literally stuttering every second) even after multiple attempts, and we finally gave up. Firefight lag is weirdly inconsistent across continents, and it seems to come down to issues between individual players, even if they both have open NATs, etc. Me, Skills and Shake literally could not play one day (it would just freeze). The next day Shake, Goodhand and 2 others were able to play mostly fine. Then me, Shake and Goodhand tried some 3 player and it was fine for me and Goodhand, and Shake said it was okay for him but that there was some input lag (like it was on ice). But then we got a 4th person in and Shake said that actually improved things where he was still getting some lag but not as bad. It doesn't really make much sense, but the fact that probably 2/3rds of the people I would play Firefight with on a consistent basis are in Europe really kills the longevity of the game for me. Firefight (on most levels) is fucking AWESOME, and some of the most fun I've had with any game in months, but it's a pain getting 4 people in the same country together for a few hours to play.

The Campaign is pretty good (arguably the best Halo campaign), Firefight is fantastic when you can get it working, and the new Halo 3 MP maps are all pretty good. If you enjoy Halo at all it's probably worth picking up. It's also a pretty good deal if you haven't picked up some or all of the Halo 3 maps since they're all included. Really the only downer is the campaign/firefight lag issues; if they weren't there I could easily see myself doing Firefight for a long ass time, but now I only see myself playing it until MW 2 comes out.

Taco, you are completely insane about the difficulty; ODST is by far the easiest of the Halo campaigns on higher difficulties, you're actually the first person I've seen who hasn't specifically agreed on this. As a direct comparison, I was never able to finish Halo 3 on Legendary solo (got stuck on the next to last level). ODST I beat on solo Legendary the day after it came out in about 6 hours. There were single LEVELS on Halo 3 that took me that long on solo Legendary.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:51 PM #23 of 58
Taco, you are completely insane about the difficulty; ODST is by far the easiest of the Halo campaigns on higher difficulties, you're actually the first person I've seen who hasn't specifically agreed on this. As a direct comparison, I was never able to finish Halo 3 on Legendary solo (got stuck on the next to last level). ODST I beat on solo Legendary the day after it came out in about 6 hours. There were single LEVELS on Halo 3 that took me that long on solo Legendary.
To be fair, I don't think Taco plays a whole lot of Halo (or FPS in general outside of TF2 maybe?) so his experience would largely differ with someone like yourself who has lived on Halo since the first on came out.

How ya doing, buddy?

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:55 PM #24 of 58
He specifically commented on it being harder than the previous Halo campaigns, which is the only comparison I made as well, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:55 PM #25 of 58
Basically I said you play too much Halo. I BEAT IT ON LEGENDARY LIKE A TRUE NIGGA BY MYSELF I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ITS HARD. You're failing to account for level of experience (ie, amount of time played, like I kind of mentioned in my post).

(which is entirely true based upon facts stated and number of games played)

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Halo 3: ODST - Regular Niggas: The Game