Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Official XBLA thread. Complain about the new price points but buy the garbage anyway!

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:13 PM #51 of 466
What's fun is a combination of the two. If one person has a dangerous bomb, you can always take them (and yourself) out by laying a remote bomb next to it and instantly detonating. Then you just have to hope you can come back in via Super Revenge Cart and win the match.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:28 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 04:28 PM 6 #52 of 466
Since you mentioned Ikaruga, I wonder what the chances are of Radiant Silvergun also showing up.
I hope not, I don't want my copies of Ikaruga (sealed, DC) and Silvergun to decrease in value. Then again the release of Ikaruga on XBLA isn't showing that the value of Ikaruga for DC will decrease.

Quote:
What's fun is a combination of the two. If one person has a dangerous bomb, you can always take them (and yourself) out by laying a remote bomb next to it and instantly detonating. Then you just have to hope you can come back in via Super Revenge Cart and win the match.
Yeah, that's great, but it won't work if there aren't remote carts available or if it's 1v1. Might be a good idea for a draw, but that isn't what you really want. I prefer sniping and lane trickery. Also, seeing someone with full fire and dangerous bomb but no speed is hilarious.

I played a game last night where there were 3 full fires and 3 dangerous bombs. People were constantly dying. It was just too much. I can't host matches myself (some firewall issue, don't know how to fix) but I definitely wouldn't want more than one per map.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 02:14 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 07:14 AM #53 of 466
I played a game last night where there were 3 full fires and 3 dangerous bombs. People were constantly dying. It was just too much. I can't host matches myself (some firewall issue, don't know how to fix) but I definitely wouldn't want more than one per map.
That's not actually something you can set, you can only specify if you have the power-ups/downs on or not. The number of them that appear is just pot luck. Three dangerous bombs in play could certainly lead to a short game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 02:26 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 01:26 AM 1 #54 of 466
I hope not, I don't want my copies of Ikaruga (sealed, DC) and Silvergun to decrease in value. Then again the release of Ikaruga on XBLA isn't showing that the value of Ikaruga for DC will decrease.
Haha, what? "I don't want other people to have a chance to enjoy these games because I want my copies to retain a high dollar value, even though I'll never sell them."

I think you collect for the wrong reasons, boy.

And nothing's been said or heard about in regards to Ikaruga for ages now. It's almost safe to say that it's a rumour that hasn't panned out. I wouldn't totally discount it, but it's appearance would be a considerable surprise.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 04:10 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 07:10 PM #55 of 466
Nooo, don't mutate into the worst type of video game collector!

FELIPE NO
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 05:07 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 11:07 PM 5 #56 of 466
Haha, what? "I don't want other people to have a chance to enjoy these games because I want my copies to retain a high dollar value, even though I'll never sell them."

I think you collect for the wrong reasons, boy.
I'll sell them, eventually. I just don't like people discrediting original copies because "oh well, you can download it". So... SNES games on the VC will probably mean a decline in original cartridge value (Chrono, EB, Terranig, etc) because they're cheaper to buy virtually.

I have a major issue with originality however. I imported Chrono Trigger and an American SNES to play it, and refused roms. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences ever.

Quote:
And nothing's been said or heard about in regards to Ikaruga for ages now. It's almost safe to say that it's a rumour that hasn't panned out. I wouldn't totally discount it, but it's appearance would be a considerable surprise.
"Ages" != 6 months. SotN was announced for the 360 and the wait was longer. I wouldn't consider it a rumour at all, because it appeared on a debug 360 console. That's showing an indication that it's in beta (lol, matches the 360 perfectly) but isn't complete.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 07:46 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 12:46 PM #57 of 466
Yes, because heaven forbid that people who may not have got the chance to play these games originally should do so now. Or that people who enjoyed them but long since lost/sold their copies/machines shouldn't get a chance to re-enjoy them. Sorry Lix, but that's a crappy attitude. Games are for playing, not hording and fretting over the value of.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 08:40 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2007, 02:40 AM 5 #58 of 466
That isn't what I said at all.

Although, if everything becomes downloadable content, people will have less physical gaming material in the future, which isn't right. Less and less people will become interested in games, and more interested in what's "available to purchase via Microsoft Points/Virtual Console points" and what "virtual items" they can buy next.

I'm not even going to bother bringing piracy into the picture, because that's already chewing through the meaning of having an original copy of something day by day.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Elixir; Aug 13, 2007 at 09:03 AM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:10 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 11:10 AM #59 of 466
No one's arguing for or against the benefits of having a physical copy instead of a downloaded copy. What people have an aversion to is you saying the latter shouldn't exist so you have a higher valued item. I coudln't care LESS if some of my high valued games turned out to be worth 5 fucking cents tomorrow if it means that more people got to play it. The monetary value is unimportant. Games are not a worthwhile investment to turn around and sell later. And your argument about people being less interested in specific titles doesn't make sense.

And just because it shows on Partnernet doesn't mean it's destined to hit. Partnernet has given us too many rumours that hasn't played out to trust it entirely. Especially considering Ikaruga was nothing more than a title entry in the list. There wasn't any content under it. All we're basing this on is a name. Wait until someone somewhere shows some footage, or it's actually ANNOUNCED, or something of that nature.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Aug 13, 2007 at 12:23 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:24 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 10:24 AM #60 of 466
I did some reading into the whole X-Box Live Treasure shooter thing. Found something a bit more concrete at 1Up.com. I'd like to play Radiant Silvergun in some form that wouldn't break my wallet. I think any player's top concern should be sharing the experience with other players, not necessarily breaking even on an investment. Kind of symbolic of why other interests look down on "gamers." I know many readers who will give books away, but given the price of the hobby... it isn't too realistic to expect a player to give a game away or purchase a game for another person.

Not that it doesn't happen. Because when it does, well, shit, fucking awesome.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156213

And in case you just want to skip to the point:

Quote:
1UP: So when will we finally see your 360 project?
MM: I can't talk much about it yet, but I will say that it's an original shooting title and that it won't be released for a while. I hope we can start showing and talking about it soon, though.

1UP: A lot of Treasure fans are wondering if the game will be in the style of Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga. Can you comment on that?
MM: It's actually still early enough in the project that we don't yet know how similar it will be to those games. I'm thinking we'll probably want to go in a bit of a new direction now, though.

1UP: But it's at least still a top-down shooter, right?
MM: Yeah. We'll use really great 3D graphics but it will retain the 2D gameplay people love.

1UP: So is this the same team that did Ikaruga?
MM: Yes, the same director and team.

1UP: So would you consider it a new game in Radiant Silvergun "series"? Even though Ikaruga wasn't technically a sequel to Radiant Silvergun, it was the spiritual successor.
MM: I would say no, actually. I know what you mean about Ikaruga being a spiritual successor and I would have to say that this game is totally different.

1UP: Is Microsoft publishing the game?
MM: That is still to be decided, but they would be our first choice to publish it.

1UP: Are they at least helping with the game's development, financially or otherwise?
MM: It's actually too early for those sorts of discussions with them - we haven't even shown them the working demo yet - so right now we're doing everything on our own.

1UP: So in terms of developing on Xbox 360, who approached who first? Did Microsoft come to you and say they would like you to work on their platform or did you approach them?
MM: Microsoft approached us and were very keen to work with us, and later we showed them a concept that they were very excited about.

1UP: Will it be a retail game or are you thinking it could be a downloadable title?
MM: I can't really say since we still need to figure out the business strategy with the publisher, but we're definitely thinking of this being a retail title. We actually want to do something else for Live Arcade, too. Personally, I'm really interested in Live Arcade, and I really want to do something for it - but it depends on whether it'll make sense to do another completely original project just for that.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:34 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 11:34 AM #61 of 466
Yeah, I've seen that before. The thing about that interview is it confirms fuck all for Ikaruga, and it sounds like he's far more willing to do an original title for the service than port Ikaruga again.

Fan speculation on this matter overrides most common sense though.

Most amazing jew boots
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:38 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 10:38 AM #62 of 466
We can always hope. That or Saturn emulation will reach an apex of perfection and I can finally start sticking it to the man. The bankrupt, really awful developer at this point in time Sega-Man.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:56 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2007, 06:56 AM 5 #63 of 466
Radiant Silvergun can be emulated now. No slowdowns on gameplay or videos etc, depending on the computer being used and stuff. I don't really like the game all that much though so whatever. I just love seeing it being sold on Play-Asia for $220 used or $500 sealed. And $150-29356236 on ebay. I can get one from Japan ranging from 8000-15000 yen, and even that's overpriced.

There was a patch to fix the lv2 bug of Ikaruga in the Chankast emulator, but since I already own both JP DC Ikaruga and GC Ikaruga, I don't care. I'd imagine it to still be hell to play on. (It's not like Ikaruga needs to get harder, especially against the Stone-Like).

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Franky Mikey; Aug 13, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:08 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 02:08 PM #64 of 466
Originally Posted by GSB
Hexic 2 and Ecco the Dolphin Coming This Week to XBLA
posted Monday, August 13, 2007 9:00 AM by Gamerscore News

This week, we're happy to announce two family-fun additions to Xbox LIVE Arcade: Hexic 2 and Ecco the Dolphin. Both games will be available to download this Wednesday, August 15, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PDT).

Hexic 2
Carbonated Games
Rated E (for Everyone)
800 Microsoft Points

Hexic2_screenshot (15)

Building on the success of Hexic HD, Hexic™ 2 brings all-new pieces to the board and a new multiplayer mode, so you can compete with friends in your living room or over Xbox LIVEĀ®. The basic gameplay is straightforward, familiar, and addictive—just spin a trio of hexes to create a group of three or more matching colors, or build a formation of hexes to create more advanced pieces. Whether you want a relaxing puzzle break or a frantic race against the clock, Hexic 2 has you covered!

* Acclaimed developer: Hexic 2 is another challenging puzzle hit from Alexey Pajitnov, the original creator of TetrisĀ®.
* New challenges: All-new special pieces, different formations, and modes keep Hexic 2 challenging even for the veteran Hexic player.
* Multiplayer competition: Amp up the gaming excitement playing multiplayer on the same console or over Xbox LIVE (up to two players) in Battle Mode.
* Easy to learn: The gameplay is straightforward, approachable, and highly addictive.
* Stunning visuals: The game is rendered in full 3-D with stunning special effects such as reflections, glow, and spectacular highlights.
* For more details on “Hexic 2”, please visit Xbox.com.

Ecco the Dolphin
Sega
Rated E (for Everyone)
400 Microsoft Points

Ecco the Dolphin 5

Gamers can also travel through time this Wednesday with “Ecco the Dolphin” (SEGA), a fun, whimsical update of the classic undersea exploration game featuring an online leaderboard that tracks “Best Time,” and includes enhanced graphics and sound.
I liked Hexic the first, dunno if I"ll buy the second one though, and Ecco's a damn good console classic choice. Better than Sonic and Golden Axe at least.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:18 PM #65 of 466
I'd buy Hexic 2 if it wasn't $10. Unless it's some great surprise like Pacman CE turned out to be, the game is worth at most $5.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 05:38 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 10:38 PM #66 of 466
I rather like Hexic, but I'm not sure Hexic 2 will be worth 800 MSpoints. Will have to see I guess. Might pick it up if it's got some interesting new features/modes.

I'm guessing people have heard the news about 3D Realms wanting to bring Duke Nukem 3D to XBLA (article). Not sure I'd buy it, but could be an interesting addition.

Parn
Tune in... Turn on... Drop out!

Member 2802

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:08 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 09:08 PM #67 of 466
That or Saturn emulation will reach an apex of perfection and I can finally start sticking it to the man.
Saturn emulation is damned close to perfection. Graphics on games are emulated with 99% accuracy. The biggest stumbling block for a long time was trying to emulate Shining Force 3's transparency effects, and the author of the emulator figured it out mere months ago. I threw up a Youtube video of Shining Force 3 running in the emulator, and the only thing that's off is the sound, which I'd say is about 70% accurate.

Radiant Silvergun runs almost flawlessly. The music plays back about 30% too fast, a problem with all games that use the Cybersound wavetable software, but other than that... it's just waiting for poor saps to get their asses kicked.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2007, 04:50 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2007, 10:50 PM 1 #68 of 466
So. Moving on.

This game won an XNA programming contest put on by Microsoft, which means it's probably going to make it's way to XBLA. I'm not too thrilled about mass blood, but it shows what they can do with 2D on the current consoles. It also looks like it could be fun.

YouTube Video

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:51 AM Local time: Aug 15, 2007, 07:51 AM #69 of 466
I notice Hexic 2 is out today on XBLA. Anyone else thinking of checking it out? I rather enjoyed the original Hexic HD, and the idea of the battle mode and online play sounds like it could be worth a look.

I was speaking idiomatically.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:56 AM #70 of 466
I'm going to download the demo tonight, if I remember, but I doubt it'll be worth 800 points.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:11 AM Local time: Aug 15, 2007, 01:11 PM #71 of 466
Yeah, the 800 points thing is what's slightly putting me off. 400 points I'd get it no question, but I'm hoping the battle mode will justify it. I'll definitely check out the trial version regardless and I imagine I'll get it.

Additional Spam:
OK, so I played the trial of Hexic 2 last night, and perhaps I won't be bothering after all. The battle mode just feels messy and I never really felt in full control of what was going on. I shall stick to the original Hexic me thinks.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Aug 16, 2007 at 03:06 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:55 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2007, 11:55 AM #72 of 466
Originally Posted by GSB
Space Giraffe and Street Trace Coming to XBLA This Week
posted Monday, August 20, 2007 9:00 AM by johnporcaro

[Edit: Space Giraffe is 400 points.]

This week, two great games hit Xbox LIVE Arcade. Space Giraffe and Street Trace: NYC will each be available for download this Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PDT).

Space Giraffe
Llamasoft
400 Microsoft Points
ESRB Rating E for Everyone
Worldwide

Space Giraffe features uniquely beautiful graphics and 100 levels of lovingly hand-crafted shoot-em-up action gameplay from the makers of Llamatron and Tempest 2000. Collect power-ups to activate Bonus Rounds and master the strategies necessary to maximize your score on every level!

SpaceGiraffe_screenshot19

* Extensive gameplay: Play through 100 levels of shooting and strategy.
* Level design: Enjoy the unique graphical appearance of each level due to the use of the Neon engine.
* Special features: Learn special moves to increase the Bonus Multiplier, and collect power-ups to gain access to the Bonus Round.
* Bonus challenges: Finish all 100 levels to unlock a hidden gameplay mode.

More information on the game can be found on Wikipedia (including how the title got its name), and for an interesting glimpse into the dev process, check out Jeff Minter's blog.

For more details on “Space Giraffe,” please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/sp...livearcade.htm

Street Trace: NYC
Gaia Industries
800 Microsoft Points
ESRB Rating E for Everyone
Worldwide (except Korea)

Street Trace:NYC is fast-paced street racing and arena combat set against a grim futuristic corporate-controlled environment. Choose one of nine hoverboard-riding street soldiers to carve a plasma trail as you battle and grind through six areas, including abandoned highways and war-torn arenas. Play all of the seven different games in tournaments or exhibition matches, and upgrade your hoverboard and weapons as you play. Master the trials of the Single Player Campaign or compete with up to four players split-screen or up to eight online via Xbox LIVEĀ®.

StreetTraceNYC_Screenshot5

* A different kind of racing: Race and battle your opponents on decked-out hoverboards in three different arenas and three different street circuits. Grind your hoverboard along metal rails to gain an advantage. Your board's emissions give passing players a strategic speed boost, allowing those falling behind to rubber-band off the race leaders.
* Numerous game modes: Take on the single player campaign with 18 time trials and five champion tournaments, or go multiplayer with four-player split-screen or up to eight players on Xbox LIVE. Choose from four different arena game types, Flag, Hunter, Chaos, and Takedown, and from three different street game types, Screamer, Chaos, and Street Trace.
* Multiplayer join-in-progress: The Street Trace:NYC lobby shows how many people are playing online, allows players to join tournaments in progress, and to follow games as they progress.
* Decked-out hoverboards: Upgrade your board's engine, boost, shields and jump capabilities, and use weapons such as lasers, mines, stampede, and rockets. Gotta love rockets.
* Game goals: Earn your spot on the Leaderboards, and gain twelve new Achievements to increase your Gamerscore.

Don't miss Godfree's report on the Street Trace Community Event, on Gamertag Radio.

For more details on “Street Trace: NYC,” please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/st...boxlivearcade/

Screen shots for both are up on Flickr.

Also, don’t miss out on themes and gamer pics for “Street Trace: NYC”, as well as new downloadable content for “Soltrio Solitaire.” For more details please visit www.xbox.com/livearcade.
Street Trace looks forgettable. Space Giraffe is basically Tempest on an acid trip, and at the very least looks quite visually impressive. At 5 bucks it's hard to say no to as well. I'll *probably* snap that one up.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:08 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2007, 06:08 PM #73 of 466
Jeff Minter had been writing a column in EDGE, mainly about the development of Space Giraffe, over the last 6-ish months. An interesting read and made Space Giraffe sound like an interesting prospect. I'll certainly be playing the trial and for 400 MS points I could see myself buying it.

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2007, 07:15 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2007, 02:15 PM #74 of 466
Yeah, 400 points doesn't sound that bad. And you're right, the columns in Edge was interesting reads.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2007, 07:29 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2007, 12:29 PM #75 of 466
Actually it's going to be 800 points. Seems the 400 points thing was a 'typo' by Minter on his blog (something has me feeling it wasn't a typo and M$ have decided they can get more money for it). See this Eurogamer article for details.

That's a bit disappointing, 800 points makes it far more of a 'maybe'.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Official XBLA thread. Complain about the new price points but buy the garbage anyway!