Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Tales of Abyss - US Bound

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 07:57 PM #1 of 37
Tales of Abyss - US Bound

2006: The Year of the PS2 RPG.

Yet another high profile RPG coming to the US and believe or not it's a Tales game!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/tale...ml?sid=6148428

And here is a nice new trend! New content promised for the US release:

Quote:
hough Tales of the Abyss has been out since late last year in Japan, Namco Bandai promises exclusive content for the US release in the fall of this year.

Most amazing jew boots
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:04 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 09:04 PM #2 of 37
First Rogue Galaxy and now Tales of the Abyss. I think I just wet myself. ;_______________;

There's nowhere I can't reach.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:14 PM #3 of 37
oh, hell ya! there is a god!! I didnt think this would get an NA release.. im so happy right now, almost into tears :P

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:28 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 09:28 PM #4 of 37
So now I wonder what the US exclusive content will be. I'd rather them skip exclusive content and voice the ENTIRE game this time. ToL had half the voice content missing which were missing from the character quests. That was pretty disappointing to me at least. But if they are adding additional content then maybe they're taking this game seriously and there won't be any budget cuts.

I don't care much about new weapons, but extra skits and sidequests would be nice.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:39 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 08:39 PM #5 of 37
Originally Posted by Miles
So now I wonder what the US exclusive content will be. I'd rather them skip exclusive content and voice the ENTIRE game this time. ToL had half the voice content missing which were missing from the character quests. That was pretty disappointing to me at least. But if they are adding additional content then maybe they're taking this game seriously and there won't be any budget cuts.

I don't care much about new weapons, but extra skits and sidequests would be nice.
Hopefully this won't be an issue. This game should benefit from the giant localization staff reworking Bandai did with Namco USA. They'll also have the huge voice cast resources from Bandai's US anime division as well which wasn't available when Legendia was going though localization.

I was speaking idiomatically.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:43 PM #6 of 37
all i care about is the loading times.. and framerate issues on the overworld map. other than that.. im cool, im stoked to just play it!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:29 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 10:29 PM #7 of 37
Originally Posted by Miles
First Rogue Galaxy and now Tales of the Abyss. I think I just wet myself. ;_______________;
That's nothing. I came like three times.

FELIPE NO
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:46 AM #8 of 37
Ugh, another 3D Tales game?

I wanted Tales of Rebirth. That had some high-quality 2D spritework.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:03 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:03 PM #9 of 37
I wouldn't be too annoyed-- Tales of the Abyss is not like Legendia. While it's no Rebirth, I admit, it's an excellent game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:37 AM #10 of 37
Abyss is better than Rebirth. Man, you guys are no better than GameFAQs in this regard. We're getting one of the best Tales games ever (the 10th anniversary game, no less,) and everywhere I look I see responses like "...I wish it was Rebirth."

It kills me that 90% of the people saying that have never even played the game and only want it because OMFG HIGH QUALITY 2D GRPHXS. I've played both, and Abyss is by far the better game. AND I've never even finished Abyss. I did finish Rebirth though, and had absolutely no will to play through it again with the gradeshop.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:07 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 08:07 AM #11 of 37
Kiss my hairy white ass. The only Tales game I haven't played is Tales of Tactics, and I still think Rebirth is better than Abyss. Rebirth is absolutely perfect in almost every regard to gameplay-- loading times, speed, comboing, camera, and hit detection all work beautifully. Story isn't exactly stellar, but now you sort of expect racism to always have a role in Tales games.

Abyss, though not to same degree, has a lot of the problems Symphonia has. Plus you have to tack on the loading times.

How ya doing, buddy?
Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:16 PM #12 of 37
I was mostly directing it at this comment, which proved what I said...

Quote:
Ugh, another 3D Tales game?

I wanted Tales of Rebirth. That had some high-quality 2D spritework.
In any case, I highly anticipated Rebirth and I did have some fun with it. Of course, I only used the same 4 characters the entire game (refused to use Mao and Tytree because of how they look, so sue me) and even then I still didn't like them very much. IMO no Tales cast of characters is better than Legendia's, and I haven't played Symphonia more than 1 hour so I can't compare Abyss to that.

The gameplay was fun but I still like Destiny 2's battle system better (it's extremely fast), and the fact that hi-ougis in Rebirth were finishing moves made me very sad. I also don't think there were enough skills to use in battle and they weren't exciting/flashy enough.

Abyss had better music, at least. (less Tamura, more Sakuraba)

Most amazing jew boots
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:28 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:28 PM #13 of 37
From the screenshots, it looks like a combination of Symphonia and Legendia.
But damn, Rebirth does have some very pretty sprites. I'd love to see both come over.

Admittedly, just as far as graphics are concerned, Rebirth does look a bit more "fresh" while Abyss looks a whole lot like Symphonia and Legendia have a love-child. But I'll take whichever I can get.

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:46 PM #14 of 37
Amazing. It's a very good thing that I picked up a Swap Magic just recently. I don't have the cash to spend on all of these RPGs

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:24 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 11:24 AM #15 of 37
Originally Posted by Vkamicht
I was mostly directing it at this comment, which proved what I said...
Doesn't prove shit. All that proves is that he thought the game's 2D sprites were pretty.

Quote:
In any case, I highly anticipated Rebirth and I did have some fun with it. Of course, I only used the same 4 characters the entire game (refused to use Mao and Tytree because of how they look, so sue me) and even then I still didn't like them very much. IMO no Tales cast of characters is better than Legendia's, and I haven't played Symphonia more than 1 hour so I can't compare Abyss to that.
For me, Rebirth's was my favorite cast. Not great, but I've always thought the Tales series was weak in this regard. I don't see how someone can dislike Tytree, though. Mao definitely, and Annie yes (though she's a must for battle), but Tytree was awesomeness personified.

Quote:
The gameplay was fun but I still like Destiny 2's battle system better (it's extremely fast), and the fact that hi-ougis in Rebirth were finishing moves made me very sad. I also don't think there were enough skills to use in battle and they weren't exciting/flashy enough.

Abyss had better music, at least. (less Tamura, more Sakuraba)
Destiny 2 was fast, but the Stamina system made things a chore (attack, run back, guard till bar replenishes, repeat). You could ignore it until it was empty, but that pretty much guaranteed negative GRADE. Not to mention the single line thing for battle is getting boring. As for the hi-ougis, I share your sentiment to some degree, but I like the idea of not having to play the game three times over to obtain them all. If Majin Rengoku Satsu wasn't worth it, nothing else is going to be. With regular skills, I thought they were flashy, but toned down just enough to not be distracting. I hated being interrupted in Destiny 2 by Harold or Reala when they were casting Crazy Comet and Execution, which was all the time.

Finally, I also kind of agree with the music. I thought some tracks in Rebirth were great, but Abyss had a great soundtrack for having those cool remixes.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Apr 27, 2006 at 01:31 PM.
Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:12 PM #16 of 37
Originally Posted by Generic Badass
Doesn't prove shit. All that proves is that he thought the game's 2D sprites were pretty.
Right. I said there's a disturbing trend in people saying "I wish we had Rebirth in North America" who seem to base that want entirely on the 2D graphics. He also dismissed the game (Abyss) just because it is in 3D, as most games are these days.

Anyway... I could watch the entire Crazy Comet chain 10,000 times and never get bored of it. Oh well.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:46 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:46 PM #17 of 37
You missed my point there. What I'm saying is that, with the evidence shown, all you can prove is that he would have preferred Tales of Rebirth, and one of possibly many reasons is because he thought the 2D graphics were nice.

You're assuming anything else.

Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:18 PM #18 of 37
Originally Posted by Generic Badass
You missed my point there. What I'm saying is that, with the evidence shown, all you can prove is that he would have preferred Tales of Rebirth, and one of possibly many reasons is because he thought the 2D graphics were nice.

You're assuming anything else.
I don't think I outright assumed anything about that poster or about you. If I did, well then I didn't mean to offend. I just made a very general statement. Isn't this getting off topic, anyway?... umm, let's be friends!

yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 04:21 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 01:21 PM #19 of 37
Namco US would not bring something that didn't even make a hit in Japan... Rebirth is probably the only Tales game that did not make it into the "Playstation 2 THE BEST" series, meaning that its sales record is pretty low.

I didn't like Abyss that much, but at least it's got a much more interesting storyline than Rebirth, and the fact that you can run freely around the battle area like Star Ocean is definitely an appealing factor to fans.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:22 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:22 PM #20 of 37
Originally Posted by yangxu
Namco US would not bring something that didn't even make a hit in Japan... Rebirth is probably the only Tales game that did not make it into the "Playstation 2 THE BEST" series, meaning that its sales record is pretty low.

I didn't like Abyss that much, but at least it's got a much more interesting storyline than Rebirth, and the fact that you can run freely around the battle area like Star Ocean is definitely an appealing factor to fans.
Namco US no longer exists. It has been completely replaced by Bandai Entertainment staff which tend to have different views on US releases.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rocca
is Finding Forever.

Member 609

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:25 PM #21 of 37
Hell yeah. I'm surprised as to how many people are taking this news so amazingly. Blogged about it this morning and I'm finding nothing but love for Abyss.

Time to buy it a second time!

(Anyone wonder what'll happen to Karma?)

I was speaking idiomatically.

rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:36 PM #22 of 37
Im really wondering about this exsculsive stuff, for the NA version. I think it would be cool to have an optional dungeon, or optional boss or 2.

Rocca
is Finding Forever.

Member 609

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:19 PM #23 of 37
Originally Posted by rpgcrazied
Im really wondering about this exsculsive stuff, for the NA version. I think it would be cool to have an optional dungeon, or optional boss or 2.
An optional dungeon would be pretty awesome if it were done à la Dawn of Souls style with optional bosses from past foes from the series.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Rocca; Apr 27, 2006 at 06:23 PM.
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:01 PM #24 of 37
Even more good RPG news. I've only played Tales of Symphonia and Phantasia and I've found them entertaining. I haven't got to Legendia but I'll probably get around to it after clearing more of my back log and when it gets to around $20. None the less, I'm looking forward to it.

Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 10:18 PM #25 of 37
I'm so looking forward to this it isn't even funny really, when I saw the initial screens for Abyss back in the day I thought to myself how hot the game looked just with the artwork and initial screens. Then it was skipped over for Legendia, leading to ANGUISH.

But no more, this is great news. The question is how much of my backlog can I vanquish before this is released though.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Tales of Abyss - US Bound