Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Best Movie Based Game You Have Played

xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:59 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 01:59 AM #1 of 54
Best Movie Based Games You Have Played

What are the best movie based games you have played? A game can be either based directly on a movie and it's story (i.e. 'Goldeneye', 'The World Is Not Enough') or just have something to do with a movie or movie series (i.e. a prequal like 'The Chonicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay'). My top games:

1)The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Buthcer Bay -- Great gameplay, combination of gameplay (FPS, stealth, exploration), great story, great graphics, great audio, great music, really good acting. I don't think I'll ever get tired of playing this game.

2)Goldeneye -- The first movie based game that I played. While its only mode of gameplay is FPS, it's really fun, gives you good objectives to complete, gives you more objectives to do when you raise the difficulty level, the highest difficulty level can be pretty hard.

3)Everything or Nothing -- Great Bond game. Best Bond game not based on a movie, really good story, has a great cast, really good acting, diverse game play, nice to look at, Sean Callery composed great music, good audio, a fairly long game.

4)The Godfather (XBOX 360 version) -- A pretty good adaptaion of the movie. Brought in some plot points from the second movie. A really long game. It took me a little over 39 hours to do the story missions, take over all store fronts, rackets, favors, merchant favors, contract hits, and take control over all of New York. The faces of the main characters look great. It's nice that most of the actors from the movie voiced their own characters. Al Pacino is missed. I wish EA did a better job of upgrading the visuals for the 360. The music is nice, sounds like it did from the movies.

5)Nightfire -- Second best original-story Bond game, fun and diverse gameplay, nice graphics, the music and audio are both good. The only bad thing is that the game is too short.

6)The World Is Not Enough (N64 version) -- Great adaption of the movie, really fun to play. Good multiplayer, good unlockables for the multiplayer, music is good, the graphic were good for their time. Nice level design.

7)From Russia With Love -- Captures the feel of the movie very well, Sean Connery is back as James Bond, the faces of the characters look just like their movie counterparts, excellent music that sounds very much like John Barry's Bond music, game is fun to play, long game. The one bad thing is that EA changed the driving controls. I don't know why, the previous Bond games had great driving controls.

8)Agent Under Fire -- Third best original-story Bond game. Fun to play, good music, but it's too short and easy.

9)Aeon Flux -- I got this game two days ago. I just started level four (of seven). So I can't give a complete review, but I like it so far. It's better than I thought it would be. When I get through with the game it might go up the list. The gameplay is fun, the graphics and audio are nice. The music is good. Charlize Theron lent her likeness and voice to the game, but it does sound like she is board with everything. One negative, sometimes the camera is pulled a little to far from the action. I finished this yesterday (3/13/06). This was at number 9 behind T3:The Redemption, but after beating it I can say it's better than that game. The game is fairly easy, but the final battle is a little too hard. This game fills the gap between the TV series and the movie. A 400 year gap.

10)Terminator 3:The Redemption -- Expands on the story of the third Terminator movie, long game, diverse gameplay, good music. Bad thing is that the game can be too hard, to add to this, there are no check points, so if you die at the end of a level you have to start all over. What makes this painful is that the levels are long.

11)Goldeneye:Rogue Agent -- Great concept, but average game. Gameplay is clunky, but the music is good, great characters from old Bond movies. Christoper Lee and Judi Dench supplied their voices for Scaramanga and M, respectively.

12)Catwoman -- yeah, yeah I know the movie stunk, but I'm a BIG fan of Halle Berry. I like listening to her say the one-liners that are in the game. The game is actually better than the movie. The music is actually pretty good. The game version of Halle looks good, though not as good as the real Halle, but better than the CGI Halle from the movie.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by xman25; Feb 7, 2007 at 10:27 PM.
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:08 AM #2 of 54
Hell, I've just been playing The Warriors and I'm surprised at just how good it is. There haven't been too many brawlers recently (and I've heard the new Final Fight isn't so hot) so it's nice to see that a game company was able to do a modern take on the genre. It's definitely not Streets of Rage, but at least it knows it's a video game...based on a movie.

Side note: This week I rented The Warriors for PS2 and Doom: The Movie. Consider that for a moment.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:08 AM #3 of 54
I think you just named every movie based game ever made.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:12 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:12 AM #4 of 54
Rogue Agent? Catwoman? My god, both games was seriously some of the worst games ever... The gameplay bad, graphics clunky (Well, in Catwoman they played the: Let's make all the bad guys identical and make everything shiny!-card) Even the proffesional actors hired couldn't save the games for being disasters...
Each to his own, though...

Spider-Man 2 still's the bar when I think about 'movies to games'. The structure was a bit annoying, I grant you that, but it was simply amazing to swing around New York, thanks to some brilliant swing-physics and a good graphic engine.

How ya doing, buddy?

xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:15 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 02:15 AM #5 of 54
I didn't say Rogue Agent and Catwoman were good games, I included them because I played them and they are movie based games. There is a reason why they are at the bottom of the list.

xman25

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by xman25; Mar 10, 2006 at 02:19 AM.
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:19 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 12:19 AM #6 of 54
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and to a lesser extent KOTOR2.

Since KOTOR was basically GOTY 2003, I'd say there isn't much of a contest here. It's one of the few games that managed to get me to play it as much as possible until completion (Other games in recent memory with such a distinction are Fable and Beyond Good and Evil.) Not to mention I played through KOTOR immediately a second time as an evil character (Although, I admittedly did the same with Fable, but I wasn't as motivated.)

The Chronicles of Riddick is also pretty damn good. One hell of a good FPS, honestly overshadowing most regular FPS games.

The Punisher is a damn cool game, despite how the gimmick of torturing people gets old after a while, but some of the torture scenes are just fantastic.

Star Wars: Jedi Academy is also pretty damn cool, although I really wish they would make a Star Wars game with more precise lightsaber action scenes (Revolution, anyone?)

Goldeneye is always awesome, but more for it's multiplayer than it's single-player campaign. Everything or Nothing has it easily beat in that respect.

How ya doing, buddy?
jRev
XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG

Member 610

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:30 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 03:30 PM #7 of 54
I'd have to say Lego Star Wars and Fate of Atlantis. KOTOR too, but that's already been mentioned.

I don't think anyone could actually dislike Lego Star Wars. And Indy's branching paths, multiple puzzle solutions and great use of the license make it a timeless adventure game classic. Can't say I cared much for the voices in the talkie version, though.

Also, now that I think about it, I really liked Jurassic Park on the SNES. I was trying to get my hands on anything that resembled Wolfenstein 3-D back then, so the first-person segments were right up my alley.

FELIPE NO
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:12 AM #8 of 54
My vote goes in for Spiderman 2 and The Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB.
Spiderman 2 was simply fun. Granted, gameplay was a bit... clunky at times. (Why did I just run into a building again? ;_; )
However, the ability to freely roam around the city (and actually touch the ground this time) is wonderful. Not to mention the sheer amount of crap to collect and complete.

The Chronicles of Riddick was excellent as well; I was addicted to it for a good time...
It's one of the few games--especially out of 'movie games'--that's able to pull off first-person stealth well.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:55 AM #9 of 54
I think all of the best titles have already been mentioned but I'll go back a ways and mention Die Hard Trilogy for the PSone. I rented that game constantly with Die Hard 2 & 3 being my favourite out of the 3 "sections" as Die Hard 1 pissed me off to no end with that "Find the bomb" at the end of every level.

Other top titles include Spider-Man 2 which while it got repetive at times, especially with the civilian missions, the webswinging mechanics and the ability to freeroam through the city was excellent.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. Excellent FP game that as mentioned is one of the few games to pull of FP Stealth well but also FP Hand to Hand combat too. Beautiful graphics with some excellent voice action and a memorable soundtrack.

Blade Runner was another I liked. Of course it was an adventure game so that helped but replicating the sets and environments from the film as well as tracks from Vangelis' score helped recreate the mood and feel of the film in the game perfectly.

Memorable mentions: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King & GoldenEye.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:59 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:59 AM #10 of 54
Goldeneye is such a good game that I never really even consider it a game based on a movie. Because games based on movies aren't typically good things. How can the best game on a console be based on a movie? It boggles the mind.

If you consider Kotor and Kotor II movie based games, then they obviously rank right up there with Goldeneye, but I find it difficult to really consider many of the Star Wars games as being movie based games, with the exception of the ones based directly on one of the films.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Sharath
Screenshot King

Member 1125

Level 12.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:17 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:47 PM #11 of 54
Spiderman : Go Beyond the Movie is a good game...voice acting/action/graphics all are good..best was the gameplay and villians.

Its not exactly a movie based game...but it is almost based on the movie.

I still remember when this got released..it was the first game that dint work on my old p3 system (cause dint have graphics card).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No One Dies as a Virgin....LIFE FUCKS EVERYONE!

Last edited by Sharath; Mar 10, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:24 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 12:24 PM #12 of 54
Scooby Doo: Cyber Chase for GBA...It wasn't really good or entertaining but it was the only Movie Based game I have ever played.

I felt so dumb and used for buying it that I pretty much swore of Movie Based games for good. >_>

Now that I think about it, I must have really been naive at the time to buy a Scooby doo game and expect it to be good, expect for the Scooby Doo game I had for the SNES which I enjoyed.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 12:39 PM #13 of 54
I liked the Star Wars games for SNES. I actually picked up a used copy of Empire because it's my favorite. The pseudo-3d flying levels were pretty impressive for the SNES era if you think about it. The difficulty level is probably the only drawback, but they were decent titles and I enjoyed them.

I own about 45 titles between my PS2 and GC, and I don't think one of them is a title based on a movie. Although Spider-man 2 does indeed look good.

Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:13 PM #14 of 54
Defenitly The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay and Goldeneye. Riddick just had amazing visuals and if you were a fan of the movies you can really like the game too. Goldeneye is one of my favorite FPSes ever so naturally I picked that one.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 05:59 PM #15 of 54
Goldeneye and Spider-Man 2 are my two personal favorites in this category. I think people have already expressed my sentiments towards these games. However, Lego Star Wars is pretty good, albeit short and easy.

How ya doing, buddy?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:09 PM #16 of 54
Man, nobody mentioned the king of movie-based games, Tie Fighter. That game is a total blast. I wonder if anyone actually hates the game. I wish I could play it again, but on the Windows platform and a new joystick.

Pretty much any old LucasArts Star Wars or Indiana Jones games were awesome, such as Dark Forces and Fate of Atlantis. More recent games I've enjoyed are Indiana Jones and The Emperor's Tomb and SW Episode 1: Racer. They sure know how to make movie-based games good, unlike most other companies.

Another noteworthy title is AvP 2. You can play as an Alien, people! It doesn't get any better than that.

How ya doing, buddy?

NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:03 PM #17 of 54
Definately Goldeneye. Probably my second favourite game on N64, and my favourite FPS shooter. Hours of fun, hours of laughs and hours of pure gaming blissdom.

Zero
Lame

Member 573

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:59 PM #18 of 54
Goldeneye is definitely my all time favorite movie-based game. But beside this one, another I found excellent was King Kong. Playing this game was an amazing experience. They captured the tension and the feel of the movie throwing you in the action almost all the time without backtracking or finding keys and solving puzzles. Playing as Kong never gets old and smashing T-Rex too bits was so much fun.

Other of my favorite movie-based games are Everything or Nothing, From Russia With Love, The Chronicles of Riddick, Star Wars KOTOR, Racer, Lego, Rogue Leader, Republic Commando and Jedi Power Battle.

Currently Playing: Kingdom Heart II
Waiting for: Nothing this month
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:06 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 07:06 PM #19 of 54
Aladdin for the Sega Genesis was always a great game. The challenging gameplay, graphics drew me in almost instantly. More platform games should look this good.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jawa Podracer
I'm afraid to say but you won't play a part.

Member 1838

Level 1.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:22 AM #20 of 54
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jedi Academy, and Rogue Squadron all stand out quite well in my mind. KotOR for the immersive-ness into the world, Jedi Academy for the multiplayer and Lightsaber-weilding, and Rogue Squadron was just awesome. Especially Hoth.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Just you reconsider playing that message for him!
No, I don't think he likes you at all.
No, I don't like you either.
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:29 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 10:29 PM #21 of 54
True Lies, Terminator 2: Arcade (SNES and Aladdin (Megadrive) are awesome. Haven't played many others (or none come to mind atm).

subferno
Syklis Green

Member 1456

Level 6.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:15 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 08:15 PM #22 of 54
A game I thought was really good was Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth. Its a PC RTS game with great production value.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:32 PM #23 of 54
I suppose you could consider Kingdom Hearts to be a movie-based game; that and some of the better Star Wars games (KOTOR in particular) would take the cake for me. There's no point in splitting hairs, though; 99% of all movie-based games are spiritual successors to E.T. for the 2600.

FELIPE NO
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:39 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 01:39 AM #24 of 54
Hook for SNES - a kinda quirky side scroller based on the 1991 spielberg movie. The game had a kick ass soundtrack straight from the movie. I still pick it up and play through it every now and then. The game was actually put out by sony imagesoft back when sony had ties with nintendo and was propositioning the "playstation" snes cd, add on.

The game as actually inspired me to do concept art and design doc planning for a cool peter pan game. just imagine exploring the island, flying around in 3d, fighting pirates... it would be the shit.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Mar 17, 2006, 01:11 AM #25 of 54
KOTOR is in my top list of games, but since Star Wars is a lot more than movies nowadays it's not fair with the other to put it in the "movie game" category.

About the others:
[b]Batman Begins[b/] is a great Spliner Cell wannabe, I really liked this game especially because I jus recently became a fan of SC.
Spiderman Movie, the 2nd is better, I know, but I played a lot more of the first.
Unfortunatly I haven't played Chronicles of Riddick yet, but I'm working on it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Best Movie Based Game You Have Played