Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Problems with Laptop

Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:52 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2008, 03:52 PM #1 of 7
Problems with Laptop

I got myself a new HP laptop around a year ago, all was working fine until my power adater/charger wire broke, so I had to get a new one. It arrived, I plugged it in and the laptop charging light lit for 2 minutes or so, then went, then came on again (this was a while ago, so I can't remember exactly what happened). I was able to turn on the laptop briefly during this time for 15 minutes or so, all was fine, then it turned off again because it had no charge. Then the light refused to show at all.

So I sent it back to Ebuyer, they told me they tested it and it was faulty, OK I said. Got a replacement today again, plugged it in, the light showed straight away, but I couldn't turn on the laptop. I thought maybe I should leave it charging. So I came back after a couple of hours, the light had gone off, and my laptop still dosn't turn on.

I'm not sure what the problem could be. 2 faulty power supplies (from different companies) is unlikely. Could it be the battery being faulty? Maybe even the laptop?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:14 AM Local time: Nov 11, 2008, 12:14 AM #2 of 7
Probably. Go have your laptop tested.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:09 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2008, 06:09 PM #3 of 7
You don't need to attach the battery to the laptop to make it work. At least that's how it works for my laptop.
In general you can run the laptop just like a normal desktop with the power supply attached and no battery at all. Of course you then don't have a grab-and-go system anymore.

So you probably want to find out the faulty component. Try turning the laptop on with only the power supply attached and no battery. If that doesn' work it's either the supply or the laptop (or maybe the battery catridge also houses some conversion electronics that are needed to use the power supply, but I highly doubt that).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:39 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2008, 05:39 PM #4 of 7
Just tried. I put the charger in, the charging light shows for about 2 seconds, then goes off (oh and it starts orange, then goes green). Then nothing happens.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:33 AM Local time: Jan 5, 2009, 02:33 PM #5 of 7
Bump. Still not fixed. Warranty has definately expired. I'm screwed.

Any advice?

Additional Spam:
I have an update.

Just tried charging it again and surprisingly got a light, which turned to green after a couple of hours to show a full charge, got heat from the charger and the battery!

Except... It won't turn on... Just get nothing when I press the power button.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Thalin; Jan 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2009, 07:46 PM #6 of 7
Sounds bad. Perhaps though it's a bad PSU?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:32 AM Local time: Jan 19, 2009, 04:32 PM #7 of 7
I took it in to a repair shop, and they told me it was the faulty adapter Ebuyer sent me as a replacement (after my original one split) which fried the insides, so i'm obviously going to contact them about this.
However, I was bought a new laptop yesterday, which although was a nice gift, I would have rather had been told beforehand so I could do some research on it before being given it! I havn't turned it on or anything yet, i've just been researching the specs. Here is a link to what I was bought - Dell 1545 Laptops - Cheap Dell Laptops.. Buy the Dell 1545 laptop at PC World.

Does this look OK? I would have rather had a larger screen and not intergrated graphics, considering i'm a photographer who will be using it mainly for Photoshop work, multimedia use etc. Also the battery life is only 2 hours. On the other hand the actual tech specs look OK. I could still take it back, but should I keep it? Does it look decent?

Additional Spam:
And the official page - Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop Details

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Thalin; Jan 19, 2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Problems with Laptop