Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

RAID Recovery

arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:37 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2007, 08:37 AM #1 of 3
RAID Recovery

So, I had an Intel ICH8R configured RAID 5 system on my computer which crash and burned because somehow the raid table information either got overwritten, or something happened that caused all four hard drives to read "Offline Member."

Any suggestions on RAID software that can help copy over all of the data? Note that all four out of four hard disks are in working condition.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Dec 8, 2007, 06:24 AM Local time: Dec 8, 2007, 12:24 PM #2 of 3
Just to clarify some things:
- Is this hardware of software RAID? I assume it's a fake BIOS-based software RAID, because I doubt these is a full-blown RAID controller integrated into the ICH.
- What kind of operating system? What kind of drivers? At least for Linux it's possible to create a software RAID with a multitude of tools (with corresponding kernel functionality)
- How exactly got the RAID table information overwritten? And where was it stored?

If all four drives are working I suggest you don't touch them while searching for some recovery software. The problem I see with RAID5 recovery is that you won't get far with only one disc (because IIRC RAID5 is only safe as long as only one drive goes down, so you need at least three discs to do the recovery).
The interleaved parity data makes the attempt even more difficult, so you probably have to use some special (non-free) software for this matter.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:57 PM Local time: Dec 9, 2007, 02:57 PM #3 of 3
repaired after approximately 4 days using Raid Reconstructor and Getdataback for the NTFS. I used a destripper and all of my data was intact and recoverable.

Note: it was a fakeRAID system (BIOS based) with NTFS partitions; the raid table data was written into the first sector of each drive and was writtten over.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > RAID Recovery