Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Learning to read / write music.. Any Suggestions?

DCII764II00
Autumn Reign

Member 934

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 03:28 AM Local time: May 30, 2007, 12:28 AM #1 of 8
Learning to read / write music.. Any Suggestions?

Whasup everyone.
It seems every few decades, I awake from hibernation to greet you all and then go back to sleep hah..

Anyways, I'm really into the whole music thing.. I am a more sample based producer but I'm going more and more into the piano.. I own a Yamaha Motif ES8... (as well as an Akai MPC 2500). I've been producing for about 4 years now, but mostly sample based..

I can play the piano, and pretty well.. BUT Not as good as the members of the GFF concerthall... I can read basic music.. Like that christina aguilera song - Hurt.

But after taking a look at usher - you make me wanna... I felt SO discouraged and almost felt like giving up... But I WONT!

I was wondering how some our resident concerthall members, or anyone else for that matter.. Has dealt with learning this skill..

I'm really motivated to learn, and I've watched countless videos, I play the piano like everyday now.. (My MPC is getting dusty)..

Anyways, what are some of your experiences when trying to learn to play sheetmusic?

Thanks all,
Ar.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 03:45 AM Local time: May 30, 2007, 02:45 AM #2 of 8
Well...it's been a long time since I actually learned how to read music, so I can't really give you any suggestions on that. However, I have struggled through piano (and boy what an ordeal that was...), and basically I have one suggestion: play what you like. It's the simplest concept that many teachers who work with young kids employ -- and I discovered that it's also what I had to use on myself to get down even the most rudimentary of piano skills.

I had to go out and find (ie: download) music that I was familiar with and/or liked in order to make it easier to learn. Pick something you're really familiar with, and try to play it with the sheet music.

Good luck. It's kind of hard to teach yourself, but perhaps that's just because my instrument (the viola) is a little harder to self-teach .

There's nowhere I can't reach.
horseman85
Piano noob

Member 4561

Level 13.38

Apr 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 08:24 AM #3 of 8
I've been learning how to play piano by myself for a year now. The important thing is not to get discouraged. Your skills will gradually improve even though you won't realize it.

Oh, and don't be a perfectionist. If you repeat the same few measures over and over again, you'll become bored and that will kill your momentum and enthusiasm.

Good luck!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 01:06 PM #4 of 8
As a piano teacher, I try to make sure my students at least learn common patterns and such that are evident in many songs, however much they like or dislike a song. Of course, it could be very different now since you are no longer a child, so try to spot patterns like solid and broken chords and such to avoid having to deeply analyze particular sections of a piece over and over again, note by note.

Perhaps that way of thinking is too analytical or sloppy but it does save time. I learned the formal way but picked up patterns without my teachers ever telling me explicitly. It's just something gained through learning all the key signatures and such, which is another handy tip.

At the very least, if you can read basic sheet music, ingrain into your head what note is what on paper, if you haven't done so already. From there, it's just repeated exposure and it'll become second nature after enough time, and you can continually challenge yourself further.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Summonmaster; May 30, 2007 at 01:08 PM.
Giro0001
Custom User Title

Member 677

Level 14.10

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 02:28 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 12:28 PM #5 of 8
First I would recomend you post this in the concert hall... You'll get a lot more comments there.

Learning to read music is a lot like learning a new language. The thing is that you eventually need to do it mindlessly. You will pick up on a lot of patterns as you advance. I usually don't teach all the patterns I use. I do teach students one or two so that they get the idea, and then they can formulate their own later on.

I was speaking idiomatically.
rocketdog
formerly known as Green

Member 483

Level 23.92

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 02:54 PM #6 of 8
What kind of stuff are you trying to play? If you are trying to play late-classical, early romantic+, then it really is a shitload of reading things over and over ie. just read and let time do all the work.

But if you're playing pop or early classical you should learn at least what a scale is, what a chord is, the I, IV, and VI chords are. Then once you know that very small basic information, you will be able to really "see" what a song is -- not as a bunch of notes, but as simple chord progressions with some stuff in between.

I'd suggest here for a quick rundown on theory: www.musictheory.net

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 03:28 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 01:28 PM #7 of 8
Whasup everyone.
Like that christina aguilera song - Hurt.
Is this a cover of the Elvis song?

FELIPE NO
DCII764II00
Autumn Reign

Member 934

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 03:32 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 12:32 PM #8 of 8
Wow thanks everyone for all the supportive comments!

I'm really into R&B with the piano and I like some rock piano riffs and stuff. So that what I usually try to play... I don't really know how to read music that well yet.. BUT I can play the chords pretty well.. Like the minors, majors, sharps and the 7th chords..

I usually end up playing stuff with the 7th chords cuz it sounds so full and rich.. But there isn't much melody when I do that, just a really nice arrangement for someone to put a melody over you know?

Anyways, I think you guys are right.. I really should play stuff that I want to learn... I have this like old school 70's "teach yourself piano" that I've been messing with.. They play songs that are for kids lol... But it's easy so I'm gonna play with it till I feel comfortale with the reading part of music.

Thanks for the encouragement... I really want to be able to play really fantastic arrangements, and really make the music move.. So far I can play melodies that people can sing over.. But I myself am not happy with my limits...

Anyways, I'm def gonna check out that link Rocketdog, thanks!
And thanks summon master, that's a really cool tip.. I kinda get what you're talking about (or at least I think I do).. You mean like when you play like a the bass chord on your left hand..you gradually play like every note of the chord upwards right?.. I didnt even think to memorize something like that! THANKS!

(Rancin Reaver: Lol I dont know, I just downloaded the mid file and the sheet music from a blog.. It's that song when she's in a circus or something lol..)

Back to the piano I go...
Ar.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Learning to read / write music.. Any Suggestions?