Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] New Super Mario Bros Wii

Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:29 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2009, 02:29 PM #1 of 15
New Super Mario Bros Wii

I know some of us got this early and those who didn't(such as myself) got it today. I've played through the first world at this point. So far I'm having quite a bit of fun. It also brings back memories. Been awhile since I've played a 2D Mario on a system other than a portable. Haven't tried multiplayer yet. Hopefully next time the crew shows up I can try it out. See how far I'm in the game at that point too.

It's great having the Koopalings back. I missed beating the shit out of Bowser's entire family.

So how about everyone else. Is it living up to expectations? Or are you in a state of dissapointment?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:55 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2009, 02:55 PM #2 of 15
I liked New Mario DS, but it looks like they barely put effort into adding new features for this game. Also, online play has become increasingly important for me too, and since this game lacks this feature, I'd probably rarely play the multiplayer modes. Even though IGN gave this a good score, in the video review, the guy comes right out and says that Nintendo is being lazy in many aspects. From what I've seen of the game, I'd have to agree. Too much of a rehash of past Mario games.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:07 PM #3 of 15
No online multiplayer is a disappointment, but the game is still pretty fun. If you can get some local multiplayer going with some buddies, the game becomes more difficult since you can bounce off of your friends' heads or pretty much screw them over. Hey, I thought it was difficult with 2 players, so I couldn't imagine 4 people going through some of these levels.

The sickest part of this game is the fact that you can spend your star coins on movies in the castle at world 1 and while some help out with how to obtain certain star coins in a level, there are movies that are pretty much skill videos in the game showing what kind of stuff can be pulled off in certain levels. If any of you get this game, I encourage you to at least get the skill video from World 1-3.

Overall, if you have a Wii you need to at least give this game a try. It's definitely a lot of fun.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:15 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 05:45 PM 1 #4 of 15
I've had this game since last week, living in Australia and all. Beaten Worlds 1-6 with all the star coins found and I've beaten the other Worlds, but not found all the coins.

First thing, online multiplayer would not work in this game, unless it was in some gimped form, but definitely not the main game. There's just too much stuff going on, especially in the later levels. With the way the game is designed, all the tricky jumps and avoiding enemies, it would be impossible if there was even the slightest lag.

The game is a blast though, especially in the multiplayer. The level design is great, like truly great. Much more inventive and fun than the DS version. The game has a lot of challenge not only in the levels themselves, but with the collection of the hidden star coins in each level (which are pretty important for one aspect later in the game). There's also a lot of replay value, not only in collecting the star coins, but there are a ton of secret exits and levels to discover.

I heard Miyamoto say this game is sort of a mix between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, but there's definitely a lot of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2 and Yoshi's Island thrown in there for good measure. Definitely one of the best games on the Wii and if you can get 3 people to join it's one of the best multiplayer experiences in years.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:43 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 10:43 AM #5 of 15
From what I've seen of the game, I'd have to agree. Too much of a rehash of past Mario games.
That's exacly what I want from it though. I'm happy with the series adapting new ideas through the latest installments such as Galaxy, 2D platforming evolving through other IPs, and letting Mario Bros be Mario Bros.
I was always going to get this game, but Gametrailers' review really got me hyped. Mainly because of the multiplayer, as I'm always on the lookout for new and good co-op (non split screen) console games.
I see how this title might seem a bit lacking if you're not at all into the multiplayer aspect.

I always import my games and save half the price, but it's out friday... the same day I'll be picking up my shiny new Black Wii.
Let's see how generous I feel when I'm actually standing in the store.

I was speaking idiomatically.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:52 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 07:22 PM 1 #6 of 15
I see how this title might seem a bit lacking if you're not at all into the multiplayer aspect.
I'd have to disagree, respectively of course. The game is an incredible Single Player game that becomes a different monster when played with others. The game is best experienced in multiplayer, but the single player isn't "lacking" in the slightest.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:01 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 07:01 PM 2 #7 of 15
Yep, amazing game (whore). It's totally a single player Mario, having friends playing alongside you trying to kill each other is just an awesome extra.

Also, going on a Toad rescue mission in SP, only to throw him down a pit on purpose? It never gets old. Ever.

Most amazing jew boots
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:36 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 11:36 AM #8 of 15
Well that just sounds pure awesome! I had nothing to base it on other than the seemingness of an outsiders' quick glance.

Infernal - "you're wearing him."
!!!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:52 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 01:52 AM #9 of 15
Half way through world 3. World 3 is the first world that I finally started dying. Then again I've always sucked at those levels where you have to jump precisely while on a surface where you slide. Stupid ice. And at this point I have to say, definatley worth buying even though I'm not even half way yet.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:55 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2009, 02:55 PM #10 of 15
I'm finding world 4 much easier than world 3. Like I said, I hate ice levels. I died a fair number of times in world 3. I'm rolling in lives in world 4. Made up the lost ones from World 3 and then some.

And it's very good as single player. Not lacking at all. It is classic Mario though with just some new level designs and one or two new powers(well more like variants of old powers) so if you're expecting radical changes you're going to be dissapointed.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:56 AM #11 of 15
It's actually a lot more difficult than I expected, and I like it. Granted, I've had a consistent supply of about 30 lives, but that's only because there's so many--I still die a fair bit.

Really loving the comeback of the Koopa Kids. Definitely brings back some memories!

Also, Hint Video #5? The one with the Luigi Relay? That was just incredible.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Lauro
incongruous smidgen

Member 34220

Level 5.59

Aug 2009

Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:20 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2009, 08:20 PM #12 of 15
My brother got this game from trading in some used games and I have been really enjoying playing through the maps two player.

I would have liked to see some additional power-ups added though, or perhaps some of the old ones from Super Mario 3 and World brought back (like the racoon, frog, and cape). Also, I'm finding many of the "secrets" to be quite obvious, at least so far (world 5), leading me to wonder how much of a replay value the game will have later on.

That aside though, it is quite refreshing to play a nice relaxing 2D Mario after almost having a seizure watching him play Mario galaxy. Some of those skill videos I've watched are quite entertaining as well, especially that 4 player Yoshi one from the first level. I will have to find two other people to play and try that out myself. Nothing quite beats throwing each other off the map or into enemies either.

...or accidently pressing A when you see your partner about to die (thinking its you) only to have you both end up floating around in bubbles. >_<

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:32 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2009, 01:32 AM #13 of 15
So far I'm finding it pretty easy. World 6 really loaded me up on lives with those bullet bill rescue toad levels(I was getting between 2 and 4 free lives every time I saved Toad on them). Looks like World 3 remains my hardest area.

Although I haven't been going after all the star coins. So I'll have to go back eventually to get them all. Hopefully like New Super Mario Bros DS it'll let you save anywhere after beating the game.

Most amazing jew boots
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:23 PM #14 of 15
After beating the game, it will let you save anywhere so you can get the star coins. I just completed the game 100% with my bro today and I believe this is the best side-scrolling Mario game I've played since the Super Mario World series on SNES. The game lures you into a false sense of security by letting you pass the first couple of worlds with ease, then ups the difficulty a little in the next worlds, and then gets very evil in the last few worlds. Some of the music is a letdown, but the rest is good stuff especially in the castle levels and boss battles.

The hint videos remind me of speed demos on various games in the sense that they're awesome, but they're sickening. There's nothing worse than completing a tough level, then going back to the castle and seeing a "Super Skills" video of that same level you just completed and how easy it can be completed.

How ya doing, buddy?
Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old Nov 25, 2009, 08:53 PM Local time: Nov 25, 2009, 05:53 PM #15 of 15
I just beat Ludwig at the halfway fortress in world 7. So far in all honesty other than World 3 I still haven't found it that difficult. Some worlds look like they'd be difficult in theory(one of the world 7 levels sure looked scary with all the rotating platforms) but in practice they aren't too bad. Although it will take some real skill to get all the star coins though. Some of them are in hard to reach spots that I didn't even try for.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] New Super Mario Bros Wii