Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Oh Nintendo you silly goose - homebrew fightin'

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 04:51 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 07:51 PM #26 of 29
Yeah, new HBC update makes it safe from the 4.2 firmware. Not takin' mah ability to play imports away from me, Nintendo! >=| All those... those uh, Simple 2000 games...

Most amazing jew boots
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:23 AM #27 of 29
Why, is that the Maid and the Machine Gun Waggle Port I've wanted so much?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:38 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 12:38 PM #28 of 29
If I'm reading that right, and some of the comments seem to come right out and say it, doing the usual auto-update through the Homebrew Channel will now render it immune to this system update and thus safe since that's the only thing I've hacked onto my Wii? I can't believe Nintendo was so dense that they hardcoded the program ID so that just changing the name of the program fixes it.
Yeah pretty much. You're safe if you install homebrew stuff using the latest version of HackMii before updating. You're also OK to do a fresh install on 4.2 firmware if everything from your old homebrew is gone, as far as I can tell. Nintendo did indeed take a pretty unsophisticated approach to removing homebrew, although I'm not sure if all the various hacked IOS will work after this upgrade. The important ones, sure...

Quote:
Of course, considering the people having their unmodded systems bricked I'm still in no rush.
Seems like that might not even be an issue if you're using homebrew. They did say they fixed up the buggy bootloader, so if you're using their new one everything should be fine. I'm not about to risk it, but it's good to know I'm probably covered...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:49 AM #29 of 29
Well, like I said, I'm not interested in messing with bootloaders or anything else unless I have to, so HBC and not being bricked are all I care about. It's pretty pathetic that a bunch of unpaid hackers were able to whip up a better bootloader in a few days than Nintendo's official one, though. Not only that, but they'd known for quite some time that the boot2 upgrading code was buggy as hell if Nintendo ever decided to use it.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Oh Nintendo you silly goose - homebrew fightin'