Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - EU/AU get it first! WE HAVE NO GENITALS.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:19 AM #51 of 352
Here's my friend code:

Kiba - 1289-8626-1918

So does anyone here play on automatic? And who do you people use? As for me, I shuffle between Bowser and Baby Mario. What different ends of the spectrum!

But what bothers me the most about the computers is the barrage of items that usually come in on the final stretch. You're just about to win and then you get a Blooper, Red Shell, Blue Shell, and a random banana, all in that order to stop you.

After the barrage, you find yourself in at least 9th place and screaming at the top of your lungs wondering how the fuck that all happened.

And has anyone unlocked any expert ghost times yet?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:30 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 01:30 AM #52 of 352
Also, they do what Brawl doesn't:

They let you do a 2-player WiFi. You and a friend in your living room can race online and the wait times seem to be very low.
Brawl had that as well. Except you had super long wait times.

Friends only though.

Wheel is fun, but my room has issues with the signal the Wiimote sends out so sometimes I end up driving off the course.

The AI has insane items. Items I have never seen, and I have had my fair share of time in last place.

I have to wonder what Nintendo was thinking making GP 1 Player only though. In any case, it is not fun to be in first place and then take 6 blue shells in a row, 2 lightning bolts, get ran over by a giant person, and then get smashed by a bullet bill all in sequence.

Then you grab the item box and get a Triple Green Shell. What the heck? DK makes up for it though with his amazing noises.

FC: 1075-1137-7512

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:31 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 05:31 PM #53 of 352
I'm getting into the single player stuff before I venture into the suposedly awesome multiplayer online stuff. I've yet to play a Wii game online and am hoping everything will go swimmingly. ^.~ But yeah I'm fairly impressed with the single player aspect to the game. There are some insane level designs (Infernal's right, Koopa Cape and Maple Treeway are so awesome (they made me pass out...but I still came first 'cause I got 3 stars in a row lol)) and the new Rainbow Road is absolutely trippy. I also actually like some of the interpretations of old tracks. While the choices aren't the greatest (Peach's Garden? Desert Hills?! lyk worst ds trax evar), the good ones really shine on the Wii. I especially like the two DK tracks for some reason. Really vivid~ (and I enjoy DK's noises, yes I do!) Speaking of noise, the music in this kart installment is actually kinda nice to listen to. I find Koopa Cape's fast-paced-ness when on the rapids an exceptionally nice touch. And I like Mushroom Gorge's music~!

I've been using the Wii Wheel and am actually really pleased wit' it. Smooth turns and nice synchronisation and stuff. I used the Wii Remote by itself and that was so lame I wanted to fall off the edge of Rainbow Road in frustration...accidentally. *cough* The AI cheats something fierce; this one time I was in first place on the third lap and I got struck by POWER!, zapped by a FLYING BLUE SHELL and pwned by a MALICIOUS RED SHELL all in succession. I was still first at the end of this 'cause I'm so awesome but I got cocky and ended up losing the race (but I guess that AI cheating stuff is old news huh guys~~~). I've yet to unlock all the characters but I adamantly rotate between Yoshi, Luigi and Diddy Kong. I actually think Luigi's screams of fear when hurled through the air are more entertaining than DK's...maybe.

Oh yeah and Baby Peach can go die in a horrific stroller explosion or something.

I was speaking idiomatically.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:36 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 06:06 PM 1 #54 of 352
I pretty much exclusively use Luigi when I play online, most of the time in the Standard Kart, but occasionally I'll crank the Wild Wing. Offline though, I'll basically use whoever. Also I've only unlocked enough ghost times to unlock Baby Luigi.

Also LOL @ those who are angry about losing speed when hitting walls. What's supposed to happen?

Most amazing jew boots
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:38 AM #55 of 352
I have to wonder what Nintendo was thinking making GP 1 Player only though.
I questioned that too. Every console version of Mario Kart has had a two player GP mode, but on this one, completely skips out on it.

As for the Wii Wheel, I don't really have a huge amount of problems using it, but I'd prefer to use the GC controller since I could do everything that the Wii Wheel provides with more ease than the wheel itself.

It's hard to pull off a wheelie for some odd reason with the Wheel... For the GC controller, I just gotta tap up on the D-pad. Makes my life ten times easier!

Additional Spam:
Also LOL @ those who are angry about losing speed when hitting walls. What's supposed to happen?
I get pissed off when I hit a wall also. I'm clearly in first by a good twenty seconds, and the moment I hit a wall, everyone and their mother decides to pass me up!

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Chaotic; Apr 28, 2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:50 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 06:20 PM #56 of 352
I get pissed off when I hit a wall also. I'm clearly in first by a good twenty seconds, and the moment I hit a wall, everyone and their mother decides to pass me up!
I'm assuming you are making a giant over-reaction, but here's a solution for you. Don't hit the walls. The tracks are even made much wider for you, it's almost an achievement to hit a wall in this.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:59 AM #57 of 352
It's not just this game though. I just get pissed whenever I hit a wall because I shouldn't! I'm too good of a player to be hitting a wall at this point!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 03:01 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 01:01 AM #58 of 352
In previous Mario Karts, unless you hit a wall perfectly dead on it wouldn't result in a total loss of speed. More often than not, you just ricochet off the obstacle or bounce backwards a bit before continuing forwards. The change in Mario Kart Wii, coupled with supreme AI item gangbanging, can be pretty frustrating late in a race.

But hey, I guess we can't all be VIDEO GAME PRODIGIES.

EDIT: Took the liberty of making a wiki page for MKWii FCs. I only put in a handful of FCs, so someone else can dump in the rest if they'd like.

Guess I should also mention the usual "PM me if you add me so I know to add you back" bit here.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Sakabadger; Apr 28, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 03:23 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 06:53 PM #59 of 352
It was like that in MK: DS, but if you hit a wall there it was alot more debilitating. Also I really haven't been affected by "Item Rape" at all, I've been hit by an item at a inopportune time and fallen into lava or something. But it's nowhere near to the extent where I find it a problem.

One more thing, if you think the sounds DK makes are something, unlock Funky.

Most amazing jew boots
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 03:29 AM #60 of 352
Since I noticed this in Brawl also... Do profile (Mii) names serve a big deal here? Just thought we should add profile names again just so we know who we're facing when we all race together.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:28 AM #61 of 352
Yeah, I'll be going around and throwing in profile names. I'm not using my default Mii, I'm actually using lil' Nanoha, so those who add me will see TAKAMACHI NANTOKA.

In other news, we need to get some MP racing on sometime tonight. TONIGHT. Who is down and when.

#654: Braixen
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:46 AM #62 of 352
Given I don't have to write any papers tonight or anything, I'll see if I could pop in online. I'm up for a nice race.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:40 AM #63 of 352
Has anyone here managed to triple-star a GP cup yet? I've been trying and trying to get THREE STARS on 50cc, but I haven't succeeded yet--maybe I just suck

Anyway, this is turning out to be one of my favorite MKs, but the CPU AI is severely frustrating. Item rape, as others have mentioned in this thread, seems to be entirely inevitable; the game uses it as an artificial increase of difficulty to some degree. Get far enough in first place and I can guarantee there will be a cavalcade of blue shells (and who knows what else) raining down upon you. Suddenly ::12th place::

I have consistently enjoyed the single player aspect of all the other Mario Kart games, but that might not be the case with this one when I finally move on to 150cc. Unbalancedness be damned, but I really don't see how getting hit with seven items in a row for doing nothing more than having the audacity to keep first place for long enough is all that balanced. Though, I think that sort of unfairness is something of a strength for MKW; the fact that I can't do everything from day one is enticing. If I could, what reason would I really have had to purchase this game other than to get a free hunk of plastic that resembles a miniature steering wheel? Then again, the ostensible depth seems more than a bit artificial given the issues the game has with CPU AI insanity. Maybe I'm just belaboring the casualfags argument.

It's going to take some work to get fully accustomed to the new drifting system. Personally, I'm glad that they've removed the ability to powerslide/drift your way into snaking, but my initial thoughts on the new system generally involve use of the adjectives "lumbering" and "geriatric" and the phrase "like your car is the size of a bus." I'm optimistic that my feelings toward this will change over time, as I remember that similar thoughts were eventually alleviated after I initially played MKDD on the Gamecube. It's interesting, though--despite the lack of snaking, MKW feels very much like MKDS did with respect to drifting.

Yes, there are sixteen new courses to choose from in MKW, and I do like a good number of the new ones. At first, I was adamant that Toad Factory was the most horrible thing to happen to the game. Eventually, I got used to the thing, but I am generally shocked by the number of course hazards that are on each course. Indeed, this challenges players to pay attention to what they're doing; however, it seems to go against Nintendo's beloved make-it-easier-for-beginners-to-play policy. Yes, you'll generally get used to the hazards if you play courses enough, but the initial frustration of not noticing a hazard until it's impossible to avoid might be a big turn-off for some people. I can't really reach a decision regarding hazards. On the one hand, I've found myself murmuring curses at the game when I accidentally ran into a retractable piranha plant, for example; but I know that I will be able to avoid it better if I keep playing the course. Consequently, I begin to think there is even more credence to the notion that difficulty is perhaps dynamically enhanced in order to artificially lengthen gameplay.

Some course hazards require pure luck to avoid, creating an issue with the idea that players will eventually learn to avoid all the hazards. Take, for example, the Shy Guys skating (or whatever it is they're doing) on DK Summit. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to figure out exactly where they're going to be when you're attempting to avoid the deeper snow in that area. There are too many times that I have gone up the halfpipe on the right side of that section--near the second section of deeper snow--only to fall directly on top of a Shy Guy. This is less of a problem for me in 50cc, because I'm generally far enough ahead of the competition that my position isn't contested. In 100cc, however, this is a bigger issue, as the races are generally a lot tighter than in 50cc. I can only imagine 150cc might make those random hazards even more irksome.

That being said, I've managed to get at least one-star rank on all of 50cc; I have all but three cups in 50cc two-star'd. I've hardly played any of 100cc, but I have a one-star rank on the two cups I've completed on that difficulty level/engine size.

Controlling with the Wii Wheel works amazingly well in comparison to other games, but I don't think that it's altogether possible to do spectacularly well with it; I switched to my Gamecube controller after about two or three GP cups with the Wii Wheel. Again, the wheel works great for standard playing (whatever that means), and I'm very glad they've improved control over Excite Truck, a game whose controls I always found to be slightly too touchy for me--a single minute gesture would often cause me to turn too far in one direction, and I would crash into a wall. Granted, as with most other things, I did become acquainted enough with the control in Excite Truck that I was able to race successfully, but I'm glad to see that the primary Wiimote-based control for MKW is easy to use from the outset, even if I don't actually use the thing anymore. Yes, yes, just as with Brawl, I've found myself using a controller for another system entirely, albeit the previous generation's Nintendo console. I'm glad they've provided the option for multiple control methods, particularly given this game's ridiculously wacky difficulty level both in the single and multi-player modes, but it will remain consistently hilarious that the control method that makes best use of the Wiimote as an exemplification of the activity of automobile operation is likely the one that I'll use least. Then again, I've been told you can get a golden Wii Wheel emblem if you play online long enough with the wheel/solo Wiimote. Still, the Wiimote was designed with the ostensible purpose of requiring players to recreate the motion of some activity to achieve some feat in a game, and it is continually proving itself somewhat useless at that purpose. I'm not saying "the Wii is doomed" or anything, but more and more often I am finding that the controller made for the thing probably isn't the best choice or only provides marginal improvements over a more traditional controller. But, hey, I guess the appeal of the Wii is in its universality; maybe the ability for anyone to pick up a game and play it is the direction things should be going in. If that's the case, Nintendo ought to better configure the controls for the Wiimote in order that all players are encouraged to use them over other possible implements. As it stands, the only thing I'd consider using a solo Wiimote for in MKW is performing tricks easier.

I do like MKW a lot, don't get me wrong, but I realize it's got flaws that seem to be increasingly consistent among first party Nintendo games. At the same time, I don't think that their newfound desire to appeal to more casual players is entirely a bad thing. I just wish there would be a better middle ground. In any case, I'm probably going to be playing MKW for quite some time to come.

I'll put my FC on the wiki later.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Snowknight; Apr 28, 2008 at 10:41 AM.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:53 AM #64 of 352
I only got as far as a star on the first cup in the new courses in 50cc.

Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:00 AM #65 of 352
Since I noticed this in Brawl also... Do profile (Mii) names serve a big deal here? Just thought we should add profile names again just so we know who we're facing when we all race together.
Since they use your Mii name for your profile I guess that should be included too. I named my Mii BigCN401 because who wants to know my real name?

And hopefully I can post my FC later tonight!

NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:04 AM Local time: Apr 29, 2008, 01:34 AM #66 of 352
Has anyone here managed to triple-star a GP cup yet? I've been trying and trying to get THREE STARS on 50cc, but I haven't succeeded yet--maybe I just suck
I've managed a few, but they have basically come out of the blue. Other times, when I have been miles in front of my opponents, I can only manage 2 stars. It's pretty perplexing.

How ya doing, buddy?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:43 AM #67 of 352
I've heard that star rankings are more dependent on how well you avoided course hazards in the like, as is perhaps evidenced by the fact that I've gotten a few star rankings after coming in 2nd place on one or more of a GP cup's races. GOD, NINTENDO, PUBLISH SOME CRITERIA....

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:41 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 10:41 AM #68 of 352
Ranking is based on (unofficially, but generally proven through numerous tests):

Additions

Power Boost at start of race
How long are you in 1st place?
What is your time compared to the Preset time (the time Nintendo feels it should take to beat on average)?
Mini-Turbos
Tricks
Successful hits with Items

Subtractions

How long are you off track (dirt roads and such)?
Crashing into Walls
Crashing into Hazards
Falling off the Course

For * * *, you are only allowed to hit the wall twice, and you cannot fall off. Falling off is the equivalent of hitting a wall 3 times. Someone said you were forced to finish 1st all the time and thus have 60 points but it is not true. Finishing place only has a minor effect on it, it's the performance during the race itself that counts.

The subtractions take off more than all of the additions put together, so on average player is only allowed to crash into the wall twice. I suppose someone who knows the courses better (especially the ones you can "Snake" on) can take a few more hits.

Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:06 PM #69 of 352
I'll eventually get this game but I already know what is still the greatest in the franchise.

YouTube Video

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:39 PM #70 of 352
KART TIME, FAGGOTS. I'm hopping on with Turnip and Tritoch right now. I've added everyone whose number is in the wiki, add me and join in if you can.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:59 PM #71 of 352
Here's my FC:
2191-8071-2297 (BigCN401)

I'll go add it to the wiki page and add everybody FC too.

FELIPE NO
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:02 PM #72 of 352
Here's my FC:
2191-8071-2297 (BigCN401)

I'll go add it to the wiki page and add everybody FC too.
Right on. We're in a Balloon Battle currently, but we'll stop to add you after this.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:07 PM #73 of 352
SD and I played this together and I must say its quite a blast! He's trying to get a hang of the wii wheel controller while I was just bumrushing him with my gamecube controller. xD He opted to get a cart with better handling and still have a bit of problems although he's doing better (finishing earlier).

What controller do you guys use so far? I like my GC controller so far (now that it obviously got me to finishes and etc).

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:13 PM Local time: Apr 29, 2008, 01:13 PM #74 of 352
I've added you all. But my intranets are capped at the moment (LOL AUSTRALIA), so it's like playing online with half a 33k modem coated with shit in outta space until the start of next month.

Which is two days away I think!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:42 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 09:42 PM #75 of 352
Yo, did I miss the party? Just got Mario Kart earlier today and after trying out the wheel I have to say. I am terrible with it! Maybe I just need to keep using it but for now I'm sticking with the wavebird for online play.
I'm already beating a couple staff ghosts too =D

Well I'll add everyone I see here and in the gfwiki page. Also added mine to that page so feel free to add me.

FC: 4425-1917-5386 (Kairyu)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Mario Kart Wii - EU/AU get it first! WE HAVE NO GENITALS.