Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] A Boy and his Blob - now in sexy 2D goodness

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:03 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2009, 11:03 AM 5 #1 of 13
A Boy and his Blob - now in sexy 2D goodness

"Oh look, another Wiimake"

Yeah, shut up. It's WayForward studios, and who are you to complain about remakes when they look like this.

Look at this motherfucker. And the animation is absolutely beautiful.

So you know the deal. It's a remake/sequel of the old NES game, you guide a boy through multiple levels of platforming and puzzle solving, throwing jelly beans for your elastic buddy to eat and transform into different shapes and sizes in order to pass obstacles and defeat enemies.

And you use the dpad to either hug or scold your adorable blob buddy, depending on how you're feeling. Game of the forever.

I thought this was going to be a Wiiware game but no, it's retail. No excuses now, everyone is buying this right now. HUG BUTTON.

Screens and pics:

<=

Game is out now in the US, November in Europe. Play.com has artcards if you preorder. Cause I sure as hell did.

Check out Gametrailers review of the game to see it moving.

Hell yes, I can't wait for this ;_;

EDIT:

GFF SAYS:

[10:58] <CHz> the vastness of my want of this game cannot be described with our current mathematical system

[16:22] <\sleep\> I figured you were talking about ABAHB, but I was like "I'll ask anyway"
[16:27] <Kishin> habahaba

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Oct 14, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:34 AM #2 of 13
O__O

.... I LOVED that game. I have got to get this as soon as I can.

So amazing looking.

Most amazing jew boots

I am not a clever pony...
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:45 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2009, 12:45 PM #3 of 13
It does look beautiful. I sincerely hope that the recent stylish 2D platformers, the likes of Muramasa and Braid, are not just a fad of these times. God, I would absolutely adore a game made entirely in Tsukushi Akihito's art (not Elebits).

Watched the Gametrailers review yesterday with slight anticipation, but having not played the original, I didn't know what to expect. This is a game I'll most probably be looking up when I once again can sink into a patient state of mind. Right now I just wouldn't enjoy this game the way it's meant to.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:39 AM #4 of 13
When I first saw screenshots for this game, I was sure it would feature that ugly Flash-style animation that's popular in indie 2D games these days. Really glad to be wrong about that. It looks great.

As a fan of the original, I do miss some things like the flavor names of the jellybeans (Punch = Hole, Tangerine = Trampoline, etc.) and a single contiguous world to explore instead of discrete levels, but whatever. Looks like a ton of fun.

How ya doing, buddy?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:06 PM #5 of 13
Can't wait to play this too. I have no idea if it's a present for me or still a rental. Knowing SD he'd surprise me.

In the original, and I replayed some decade back again too (via emulation), I could never get past the cherry bombing fields. :\ I couldn't tell if I was being killed by a glitch or I'm just horrid at timing. Anyway, yeah, I'm looking into this game with some degree of anticipation for fond memories (and rather unsatisfied) of the original.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:50 PM #6 of 13
I had both of the original games. That's right, both. The NES one that everybody knows and loves, plus the far more obscure, black & white Gameboy sequel "Rescue of Princess Blobette."

The sequel was much like the original, except it began on Blobolonia, featured better puzzles, and offered a few new jellybean flavors like Banana, Mint and Lime. It was more creative, definitely, but the controls were even wonkier than the original NES title. Controlling the boy while bouncing on a trampoline was next to impossible.

Fortunately, this looks a lot better, and these days there's no excuse for the poor controls experienced in the first games. I'm most curious to see what the new blob transformations are and how relevant the jellybeans will be to gameplay. Not having them would be inexcusable, of course, but I have this nagging feeling that the developers will have downplayed their importance somehow.

Might be a good reason to break out the Wii again.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Worm

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:49 PM #7 of 13
Lime = Key was in the first game. Your old-school status has been called into question.

Seriously though, it's clear from the Gametrailers video that there's a greater emphasis on action elements, as opposed to straight puzzle-solving, and IGN says there are Blob-less sections that are pure platforming. Still quite puzzle-heavy, though. If you haven't already watched the video, you can see some of the new transformations there.

The number of changes seem enough to make the "remake" label incorrect; it's definitely more like an alternate-reality sequel or something. But whatever.

Listening to this trailer again, I have to say, although the "updated" Wii music sounds pretty cool, the old NES music is one of those tracks that never got annoying, even after looping for the hundredth time.

YouTube Video
NES composers seemed to have a knack for that.

Also, after seeing the black, sludgy monsters and the factory-looking levels, I'm hoping this game doesn't try to deliver some ham-fisted message about saving the environment or fighting pollution or something.

FELIPE NO
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:17 PM #8 of 13
Lime = Key was in the first game. Your old-school status has been called into question.
Yes, you're correct, Lime = Key (Key Lime, get it?) was in the first game. But to be fair, how many people actually got far enough to acquire it? The vast majority of players got to the cornfield or the cherry bombs and died a repetitive, frustrating death that made no sense. Very few people got past there, to the near end where the Lime jellybeans were kept.

So for those, the bulk of players, using the Lime = Key transformation at the beginning of the sequel was their first exposure to the tool.

My old school status is intact. I was using an edit that would've made sense for most people though. Otherwise they may have been "Lime = Key what? That wasn't in the first game. I never saw it, at least."

Interestingly, there was originally supposed to be Grape = Well in the first game too, but it was removed. I don't really know what a well would've accomplished anyhow, but it was featured as a transformation in Nintendo Power's two-page preview of the game back in 1989.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:24 PM #9 of 13
Originally Posted by Worm
and IGN says there are Blob-less sections that are pure platforming.
Another review I was reading (I forget where, maybe 1up) mentioned that there was only one area like that. He specified because he was disappointed, since he liked the variety.

I only remember playing the NES game for about 15 minutes, and I don't think it was until after I had a PSX. I've got ROMs of both the NES and GB game that Crash mentioned that I've been meaning to try, though. It's good to hear that the Gameboy game is a sequel rather than a port, because I wasn't clear on that. Hell, like most people I didn't even know it existed until I went looking for Gameboy ROMs a few weeks ago.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Worm

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:26 PM #10 of 13
Lime jellybeans were in the bag at the end of the caverns on Earth, actually. Of course, you didn't actually use one until the very end of Blobolonia, but still.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how many players immediately rode the root beer rocket to Blobolonia instead of taking the completely intuitive step of punching a hole in the bottom of the subway so they could find abandoned treasure in caverns beneath the city. And then trading like 20 giant diamonds and glittering chests of gold for, uh, ~300 vitamins? Yeah. How could anyone have missed that.

How ya doing, buddy?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:12 PM #11 of 13
+1 Purchase. It was only 35 at Toy'R'Us but its free when I also bought Katamari Forever and M&L:BIS.

When Q say he thought it'd be for wiiware, does it mean that the game is pretty short overall? I thought I ask before I plow through this gem for the day (setting Blue Dragon massive grinding aside).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 17, 2009, 05:13 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2009, 12:13 AM #12 of 13
I wouldn't know anything about the length outside what the GT review said about the levels. I merely thought it'd be Wiiware, because really, would you publish a 2D title like this on a disc on this day and age?

I am grateful they did, I really am, but it was an honest mistake that anyone would make~

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2009, 04:47 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2009, 03:47 AM 9 #13 of 13
I went to buy athis and goy made fun of.

stupid shits.

someone tells me I'm not old ghbnouhg to play this game. what. fuck you shitface.

then I tryu yo leave and BAG CHECK
and all WHAT THIS FIVE YEAR OLDS PLAY THIS

FUCK YOU BITCH

but then someona was like "i played this years ago"

so there are still pepople in this world who are not douchenozzesl

+1 buy

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] A Boy and his Blob - now in sexy 2D goodness