Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How to make your own font?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:39 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 03:39 PM #1 of 5
How to make your own font?

I dont know where to put this question, either at creator cafe or at the OS/Software forums, so feel free to move it at proper place if I posted this in wrong place.

Just recently I'm being obsessed with typography and Tolkien's alphabets. I wonder if there is a program to create font for yourself? I'm currently planning to make a constructed language for the sake of my novel and I think, creating a font even for nonsensical language could support the fantasy realm of my novel.

Any help would be appreciated ^__^.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:05 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 10:05 AM #2 of 5
I started working on a font myself, based off Kairyu's awesome handwriting, though I couldn't get the hang of it

I used macromedia fontographer, I forget which version. I don't have it any more, I've formatted twice since then ><

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:58 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 02:58 AM #3 of 5
I spent the better part of my graphics classes in college making fonts using Illustrator and Fontographer. I wish I could tell you that I had a copy of it for Windows, but I do not.

It was simple enough to do since it was just creating each individual letter in Illustrator and exporting the compound (or completely closed and non-overlapping) paths as EPS files then importing and arranging them as needed in Fontographer to prepare a font file of whatever format you chose. (.suit for Mac or .ttf for Windows)

I really REALLY wish I still had this tutorial I wrote on the subject back in college but I had a hard drive crash in 2003 and I lost EVERYTHING that I had in my computers back then.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:09 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 11:09 PM #4 of 5
Sorry to hear about the tragedy, both of you. But it seems clear now, Macromedia fontographer and adobe illustrator are the essential progams I'm looking for. Dont worry, I will try to find a copy as soon as possible. ^__^

Also, does anyone else have experience on creating beautiful ortography for made-up language? I wonder if someone could possibly share tutorial how they made their own font for their constructed language.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:24 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 08:24 PM #5 of 5
I made a font called dinrai which was based on a clay+stylus style of writing I'd invented as a teenager. It was fun to do, I used a free program called FontCreator. Sadly it has dissapeared into the abyss of un-indexed backup cds.

The language itself I'm still working on, (the grammar is mostly done but I have a few glitches to work out to make it truly agglutinative ... and the vocabulary is fairly small too.) It seemed appropriate to finish a script first so that I could *see* how a word would look.

Since then I've changed the script from a very angular one meant to be impressed with a wedge to a handwritten one, but havn't made a font for it yet.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > How to make your own font?