Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

el jacko takes pictures every now and then

el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:59 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 02:59 PM #1 of 15
el jacko takes pictures every now and then

Actually, I'll probably be taking a lot more pictures later on, since I recently came across this DSLR that's pretty cool. Here are some shots I took trying it out.

Spoiler:

I'll post more, and maybe some pre-DSLR photos later.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:42 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 10:42 AM #2 of 15
I like the first three the best, especially the colors.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 12:47 PM #3 of 15
If you find something that interests you, then it'd be wise to bracket your shots. Take like 10 shots or more of the same thing with slightly different angles and perspectives that way you'll have more variety. More shots = more choices = better photos.

With that being said, I like the photo with the chair and the graffiti. There's a lot of subtle texture in it and I'm a fan of texture. I don't know what it is but I feel that with a different composition the photo would be stronger. Which is why it would be beneficial to you to bracket, if you aren’t doing so already.

Most amazing jew boots
Silver Ogre
Turned to Imp

Member 9557

Level 3.20

Jul 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:18 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 01:18 PM #4 of 15
Hmmm, right now I'm mainly concerned about the subject matter, y'all. Or rather, the impact it should have on us.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Run doggy, run...
:doggy:
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 05:18 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 07:18 AM #5 of 15
Originally Posted by Kazyl
With that being said, I like the photo with the chair and the graffiti. There's a lot of subtle texture in it and I'm a fan of texture. I don't know what it is but I feel that with a different composition the photo would be stronger. Which is why it would be beneficial to you to bracket, if you aren’t doing so already.
Usually I do; most of the night shots are taken from a series of ten or so, and others from a series of five or so. I personally really liked how that one came out, so I didn't take more than the one you saw up there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 05:38 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 03:38 PM #6 of 15
And that's fine of course, so long as you like it.

But I mean, consider that the shots that you really feel strongly about usually won't evoke the same emotion from other people. Similarly, the shots you probably like the least may ignite an overwhelming sense of passion in someone else. Just a matter of perception and the level of life experience one brings to the table.

Don't misunderstand, I do like the picture as is. Just wondering if another angle would be more effective.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:05 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2006, 03:05 AM #7 of 15
Originally Posted by Kazyl
Don't misunderstand, I do like the picture as is. Just wondering if another angle would be more effective.
Thanks for the advice. There is this picture, but it's a complete 180° change in angle, as opposed to just slight changes in exposure. I personally like the first one I posted better, but I can definitely see a person liking this one more.
Spoiler:

Also, some photos I took over the past year on a regular SLR. Completely black and white.

Spoiler:

FELIPE NO
gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:34 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 11:34 AM #8 of 15
I really like the third picture in the first post and the picture of the "Rupert Park" sign. I love it when there are random things added to signs.

How ya doing, buddy?
Silver Ogre
Turned to Imp

Member 9557

Level 3.20

Jul 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 02:53 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 11:53 PM #9 of 15
Black and white pictures, they're not always easy to work with. In general, I think you need to find a little more contrast. What mood and subject do you seek? Like, in the second one, are we supposed to look at the car, or the people? Which one gets blurred or frozen? I think the building seems a little fuzzy around the top left area of the image. What resolution are you shooting these pictures with?

Out of all of them, I think the 4th seems clearest in concept. Practice makes perfect, I haven't done much of this myself but should because I know it can be fun. :biggrin:

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Run doggy, run...
:doggy:
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:20 PM #10 of 15
You should take the following with a grain of salt as I've yet to acquire the funds for a camera and actually take photos. Though, it should provide a good insight as to what a normal person seems in your photos.

I'm especially fond of the first shot. The soft light reminds me of the smell of freshly printed newspapers, and the cityscape in the background brings back a stark memories of waiting for a morning bus after a long all-nighter of Calculus. Possibly your best shot.

The second photo is the worst of them all. It urges on a nagging question in the back of my head to the effect of "there's something you're not seeing". No, I am seeing everything, and the shot sucks.
Sorry

The focus of the third photo seems to be confusion, and it is extremely well done. It doesn't feel like a "well balanced" shot, but its key feature is superbly done. I especially like the blurred lights and the plain background - they add volumes to the lack of place and direction.

The fourth shot is odd. A plaque like that should be within a classroom, or perhaps an office - not near a cold steel fence with a daunting bridge in the background.
Why is her name printed? It would seem more natural to have a generic plate with the caption "A+ Teacher" and the name written in cursive, child-like letters as if it had been presented to the teacher by her students.
I don't like it. Wherever did you come across it?

The angle of the fifth shot seems wrong. I think your intent was to make it seem as if a mother has, in the midst of her conversation, turned around to check up on her children and is amazed to see what the children have drawn. And in that instance, the angle is wrong. Though the chair is is beautiful (neat texture <3), there should be less focus on it, and perhaps even less on the drawing. This is to make it seem as if the mother were truly turning around and could mostly see the cement, and only a bit of the drawing that has caught her eye. The plain-looking cement would serve to focus the viewer's eye toward the chalk-drawn figures.
(THAT IS IF THIS WAS YOUR INTENT - IF NOT DISREGARD THE ABOVE.)

At first, the last photo, like the second, seemed to be a generic snapshot in time. However, at the last moment, my eyes caught the lettering of the graffiti, and I thought it had said "slurp". Noticing that and the pipe below it that seemed to ooze the white pavement below, I was greatly amused.
Too bad the graffiti actually says "sulk"

Hope that helps.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:18 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 12:18 AM #11 of 15
Out of the first set, I like the first best, and I dislike the last and the third. There could be improvements done on the first as I think it can be the strongest. First, the angle is not straight. That is easily remedied with PS. Second the newspaper does not seem to be in focus. If this is your intent for it to be in focus, with night shots, especially night shots, use a tripod with long exposure and take several shots to get the right exposure. I would also suggest using the largest (smallest number) aperture possible.

Now the reasons why I dislike the streetlights and the graffitti is that I feel like it lacks something. When I see it, it's not striking to me.

As for the b&w set, are these developed or negative scans? I'm never a fan of negative scans, and if you have any developed ones I would love to see them. If these are developed, I take back that statement. Usually developed photos do not have black edges since the edges are completely marked off with the metal frame. That is unless you didn't enlarge the negative enough.

Out of these I think the second has the most potential if only the building was in focus. I like movement shots.

Most amazing jew boots
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:43 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 03:43 AM #12 of 15
Yes, this is quite the mega-bump. Sorry about that. But thank you for your comments! neus, that wasn't my intent with the fifth picture, I just thought it came out very well. And A+ apple is in front of a townhouse/school, not a bridge. And Dee, the b&w shots are negative scans. If I can get my hands on a scanner, I'll scan some of my prints. Anyway.

I recently set up a website. Specifically, there's a page with some photos I've taken. Some of them are in this thread already, but everything on that page has had some post-processing done to it (which hasn't happened in here).

Finally, some new pictures I've taken in the last month or so. None of these have any post-processing.

Spoiler:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:28 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 04:28 PM #13 of 15
I think the clock maybe a tad over exposed which is weird cause while there is very little detail in the clock, there's simultaneously very little detail in the background. I'm assuming that was sky? Maybe you could stop down a few and prolong the shutter speed, although, with lighting conditions like that, you'd need a tripod or something equivalent.

I like the textures in the third one and the repetition of the windows. However, that object in the bottom right foreground is really distracting. Also, composition-wise, I don't think it's very strong. I do like the blue, yellow, and white doors though. If you could have somehow cropped it in such a way as to bring attention to those primary colors I think it would be a bit stronger. Another thing about this photo is that the sky is really white. It's a bit distracting because white is such a strong color that it draws the eye to all this empty space. You could take a meter reading and stop down maybe two f/stops to get some detail in the highlights.

A similar issue in the fourth photo is the light source in the background. It draws too much attention away from your subject.

And the last photo, it's a really enticing piece but it's pretty dim. You could take a meter reading and opened up the aperture one or two stops to get some light in there.

Over all you have a good eye in terms of subject material, but be mindful of your negative space.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kazyl; Oct 11, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Hot Pink
Banned

Member 14183

Level 4.68

Oct 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:53 AM #14 of 15
I love the angles each of the pictures are being shown. It takes away from the ordinary view to a more interesting aspect. Great job.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dryer
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 15676

Level 1.21

Nov 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:20 PM #15 of 15
I like the first one the best.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > el jacko takes pictures every now and then