Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

a five seven five / origins in japanese / science of haiku

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:17 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 04:17 PM #1 of 22
a five seven five / origins in japanese / science of haiku

After a mild bet with a friend the other day, I decided to write some haiku about various science-y subjects. So far they've all been materials science oriented, but I think I'm going to start branching out into other fields I'm familiar with.

These are the ones I've written so far (most aren't very good ;_; ).

Ice begins to form
Foundries worry of shrinkage
nucleation growth

Transport, atoms drift
High to low it always goes
For a random walk

intrinsic defects
never achieve perfection
entropy will win

Virtual charges
Schottky, Frenkel, they all are
Vacancies abound

Ok, also a note. This is a thread for the things I've written. I don't think it's common here to go and post your art into someone else's thread, so please don't do that here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by RacinReaver; Mar 8, 2006 at 01:30 AM.
mesmeric
Ferret tamer

Member 91

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 05:33 PM #2 of 22
I think they are actually rather clever, but then again I've always thought that one had to be clever in order to write a decent haiku.

I also have to mention how well your avatar goes with doing this. ^^

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Moon
River Chocobo

Member 34

Level 23.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:41 PM #3 of 22
First off, props for using a Washu avatar. Best character in the entire f-ing series.

Second, those are quite good. I especially like the third one as it seems to be the most powerful. Also, I have never heard the orbitting of a electron around a nucleus stated as simply as your second haiku. The fourth one seems rather esoteric, but would probably also be good if I understood it.

Most amazing jew boots
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:41 AM #4 of 22
This shows that nerds can be creative too!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:54 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 08:54 PM #5 of 22
Thanks for the compliment mesmeric.

Originally Posted by Moon
First off, props for using a Washu avatar. Best character in the entire f-ing series.
Haha, thanks. I figured it was about time to bring her back to the limelight.

Quote:
Second, those are quite good. I especially like the third one as it seems to be the most powerful. Also, I have never heard the orbitting of a electron around a nucleus stated as simply as your second haiku. The fourth one seems rather esoteric, but would probably also be good if I understood it.
I kind of want to give a description for each haiku, but I kind of worry that it'll be like trying to explain a joke and it'll just ruin it. Like, the third one isn't actually about electrons orbiting an atom. I'll try to do a quick explanation in the next paragraph.

So, most solids out there are made up of crystal structures. This means that the atoms are arranged in a certain pattern that repeats over and over and over, for any decent sized material over 10^23 times. Inside this structure, there's an atom a certain positions all over the crystal. However, due to entropy (in this case it can be kinda described like a sort of force that pushes towards randomness) there will be a few atoms missing from locations in the lattice. For every 10^23 atoms, there's usually around 10^14 to 10^16 empty spots called vacancies. That they're naturally occurring and want to be there is why they're called "intrinsic" defects (It's a defect only because it takes away from perfect regularity of the crystal, they actually give very important properties to the materials.).

So, does explaining it kill the meaning, or should I outline my thought process a bit for the others as well? =p

Most amazing jew boots
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:09 PM #6 of 22
These are great! I can't decide which I like more, the second or third one.
Oh, please write more!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 11:13 PM #7 of 22
So, sitting here bored and came up with this one as a result of the homework I was doing around this time last night.

Ride the Total Wave.
Sawtooth, Square, Sine; no matter...
Fourier Transform.

FELIPE NO
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:18 PM #8 of 22
Chem class is a joke
The teacher is a moron
Her name is doc T

We never learn there
She is unable to teach
No control at all

What I have learned there
I already knew before
Thank you middle school

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:00 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 04:00 AM #9 of 22
If Thevenin would
not have made his equating,
my circuits wouldn't be.

Op-amps and diodes
are where the fun is at. I
just don't get the math.

Curves and gradients,
abstract thoughts on paper. Oh,
a lab would be nice.

How is that? :biggrin:

Last edited by Fjordor; Mar 4, 2006 at 03:04 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:52 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:52 PM #10 of 22
Sliding down the Slope
Rooting around for a Point
with Newton's Method

Ok, also a note. This is a thread for the things I've written. I don't think it's common here to go and post your art into someone else's thread, so please don't do that here.

Last edited by RacinReaver; Mar 8, 2006 at 01:31 AM.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:06 AM #11 of 22
For the first two in the beginning of your first post, were you thinking about science when you wrote them?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 05:39 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:39 AM #12 of 22
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
intrinsic defects
never achieve perfection
entropy will win
Clever. I rather like this one, don't know why.

Does anyone know if there are more "rules" to haikus, aside from the 5/7/5 form everyone knows? I suppose you're using haiku as a free source of inspiration, not trying to make yours absolutely "true" to their Japanese models, but I figured I'd just ask.

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:19 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 05:19 PM #13 of 22
Miyomi, all of them are based on some sort of scientific principle or mathematical concept.

Face, a common one is throwing in a seasonal reference somewhere (since most are traditionally about nature it gives a bit more mental imagery, I guess). If you google "haiku rules" up you can find plenty of pages about various styles of haiku, though none of them are set in stone (the modern 575 style came about in the late 1800s, I believe).

Also, sorry for no new ones recently. Just got home for spring break and not really having any inspiration going on.

Thanks for the compliments, though, it's nice to see people appreciate them.

How ya doing, buddy?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:30 PM #14 of 22
They have to be nature themed, but the science sorta works.

Just a little tip. If you want to write good ones, make them say something other than "random science fact." The entropy one was the best.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:34 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 06:34 PM #15 of 22
That's just because you don't get some of the other ones. There's a couple of double meanings and plays on words that you'll only get if you're familiar with the jargon in materials science.

FELIPE NO
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:56 PM #16 of 22
Oh, no I get it. It's just not really profound. Careful adopting the attitude of "well, if they don't like, they just don't get it."

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:24 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 03:24 PM #17 of 22
I have to question your familiarity with frenkel and schottky defects.

And I don't really have that attitude, since I know some of my other ones have sucked. I put these things through QC with friends that do get them and see how they like 'em before I go back and revise/ditch various ones.

I also feel that way a bit since most people I've shown them to tend to like the one with entropy while the people I know from materials like the last one from the first post (or the second).

Much like when you watch a kid's movie fifteen years after you saw it, you'll notice there's usually a more mature joke put in now and then that completely passed over your head when you were younger, if you become familiar with the background of the subject material you'll be more likely to get the jokes (not saying all of them are necessarily good).

Hell, just for this line,
Foundries worry of shrinkage
What meaning did you take from it?

The mindset I have when writing these is a sort of conclusion on a chapter of the material in a textbook. It's a bit like a mnemonic device to draw some concepts together (though not nearly as memorable).

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:03 PM #18 of 22
Okay, let me rephrase. The difference between good poetry and great poetry is that everyone can relate to great poetry. If you speak too obtusely, you confine yourself to the realm of not great. I'm not sure if that matters to you, but if you take a random Japanese Haiku, anyone who has stepped out of their house once can relate to it. Art is about sharing the human experience.

Of course, you could just be doing it for a larf, in which case it doesn't really matter.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 01:47 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 11:47 PM #19 of 22
So I was bored in physics the other day and wound up digging up my old book from my backpack to jot this guy down (as well as another one or two that suck).

Am I here, or there?
Once I was everywhere...but!
you just had to look.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 02:36 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 03:36 PM #20 of 22
Materials science,
a class I took years ago.
I learned none from it.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 10:32 AM #21 of 22
You're no longer my friend.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > a five seven five / origins in japanese / science of haiku