Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Straight edge or not?

blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:47 AM #1 of 92
Straight edge or not?

GFF isn't exactly a haven for straight edge kids, but I was just wondering exactly how many of you there are out there? (Though I'm a little hazy on the exact definition of straight edge, I'll admit.)

If you're straight edge, why? If you're not, why? Did you used to be?

Myself, I am very straight edge in terms of GFF, but I'm usually considered the "deviant" in my close group of friends. I was raised by extremely conservative parents, and I don't regret it. I do occasionally still get smacked in the face with yet another culture shock from the "real world." Coming to GFF was like that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Ronz
Good Chocobo

Member 240

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:52 AM #2 of 92
I would consider myself straight edge.

I also came from a conservative household and while I think part of it does have to do with how I was raised, most of it just comes from my own morals and beliefs on how I want to live my life. The main reason is that I don't like being altered, or simply put I don't like not having control of my actions.

I have to admit, i'm very curious to see how many other GFFers live the "striaght path."

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:00 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 02:00 AM #3 of 92
I had a very religious upbringing. From what I hear, I had a pretty sheltered childhood. School didn't make things easier hence my reclusive nature. Up until middle school, the worst thing I would do was go on cussing streaks with sentences filled with obsenities. Thought it made me one of the cool kids but that quickly got old.

My family however was pretty open with alchohol (open as in wouldn't forbid it). We always had the option of drinking around the holiday's but I could never stomach the stuff even if I tried. When high school came, I went to a couple drink ups, had a few harmless drinks (smirnoffs and 1 or 2 shots of whatever). I'd never drink to get drunk or to "test my limits". Just never felt a need. I will however sample drinks out of curiosity but they all taste the same to me. I've never been pressured into drugs or anything like that, nor did I have a desire to try anything.

Even when I started rebelling against religion and all that, the morals stuck. I've only smoked hookah if it was available but I'd only be able to puff cause for some reason, inhaling through my mouth makes me gag.

So um, as for a reason, I'll just blame my boring personality.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Kazyl; Aug 2, 2006 at 04:03 AM.
starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:23 AM #4 of 92
Well, I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, but I wouldn't consider myself straight edge - I've just never been inclined to do any of those things. I have nothing against people who do, since all of my friends do at least one of the above.

I've never felt out of place, though, mostly because of where I live. Syracuse (NY) is something of a mecca for straight edge hardcore music.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:06 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 11:06 AM #5 of 92
I guess that I could be considered straight edge, because I don't smoke, do drugs or drink, but, if I'm with friends that I trust, I'll try a sip of whatever it is they're drinking. I've never found any alcohol that I really like, though, so I don't bother with it most of the time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
andkeener
Banned

Member 83

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:31 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 12:31 PM #6 of 92
Originally Posted by christinajon
I guess that I could be considered straight edge, because I don't smoke, do drugs or drink, but, if I'm with friends that I trust, I'll try a sip of whatever it is they're drinking. I've never found any alcohol that I really like, though, so I don't bother with it most of the time.

How many people have you ever met that liked alcohol when they first tried it? I can't think of any. Most people that are just starting to drink do it because you get drunk, not because they like the taste. Liking it comes with time. If you are expecting some sort of awesome new refreshing drink, alcohol will never be good.

For all the people that ARE straight edge (im just curious and want to know) how many of you have sex? And how many of you are vegetarian/vegan? I really don't know what the connection is, but i've met quite a few kids that are straight edge and they also don't have sex and most all of them have been vegetarian. Is there some sort of connection between these things?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:42 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 11:42 AM #7 of 92
Originally Posted by andkeener
How many people have you ever met that liked alcohol when they first tried it? I can't think of any. Most people that are just starting to drink do it because you get drunk, not because they like the taste. Liking it comes with time. If you are expecting some sort of awesome new refreshing drink, alcohol will never be good.

For all the people that ARE straight edge (im just curious and want to know) how many of you have sex? And how many of you are vegetarian/vegan? I really don't know what the connection is, but i've met quite a few kids that are straight edge and they also don't have sex and most all of them have been vegetarian. Is there some sort of connection between these things?
The majority of my family found something they liked right away. I'm not too concerned about it, and drinking to get drunk isn't fun for me. I don't mind if other people do.

I think the reason a lot of people that are straight edge don't have sex and are vegetarians/vegans is because they want to keep their bodies pure, or something. I don't know.

FELIPE NO
blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:46 PM #8 of 92
I actually kind of consider being a virgin as part of the whole "straight edge" thing. I wouldn't really consider someone who had sex to be straight edge. I could be misguided in that definition, but that's how it is in my head.

That being said, I'm a virgin and an omnivore. Holy crap, I love my chicken. You've no idea. In fact--this is truth--I have a chick-fil-a chicken sandwich in front of me at this very second.

I don't think chickens would consider me straight edge.

Oh, and by the way... I'm SO MAD at your sig. It made me freak out... "oh my GOSH there are suddenly all these bugs crawling on my computer!"

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Qube
Banninated

Member 23

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 01:47 PM #9 of 92
Well, I don't think I'd consider myself straight edge at all. The wares on my ftp alone well, yeah anyway.

I smoke, I drink when I get the chance, and yeah when I can afford it I always have some weed on hand. Everything can be enjoyed in moderation I figure, so I just live life for what it is.

I've got nothing against people who are straight edge obviously, I don't give them a hard time, all I ask is that they don't give me a hard time about my habits either. I'm not some ass that flaunts my nastiness, it's just something that is.

Hatred on the fact that I lost my old sig, maybe I'll get it back someday. Or not!
blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:02 PM #10 of 92
Hey! Where's your confession that you tried to WIPE ANDKEENERS SIG OFF YOUR SCREEN??

Don't try and hide it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:24 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 01:24 PM #11 of 92
I haven't had sex yet and I don't know if I'm considered "vegetarian" in the traditional sense, but I don't eat meat. I didn't really consider the 2 being straight edge or anything, I just gave up meat cause a friend asked me to do it with her and it just stuck (she gave up after about a week). As for sex, well, I don't think I'd pass up the chance if I wanted to, but I'm not going to go out with someone solely for that purpose.

starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:37 PM #12 of 92
To be considered straight edge, you only have to abstain from tobacco, alcohol, and recreational drug use.

You can take it further if you want, though - staying away from caffeine, or being a vegeterian/vegan. The straight edge/vegan correlation comes from the animal's rights movement, which many edgers happen to be a part of. As far as sex goes, the idea is to have sex only with someone you love, to keep it meaningful. So no one-night stands, but you can definitely still have sex.

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:09 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 02:09 PM #13 of 92
I consider myself a straight-edge. The out of the list made in this thread, the only bad thing I do is drink alcohol. But if I had a woman, we'd be sexxin' it up. :O

The general feeling is that all of this stuff makes you a bad person. With the strong exception of drugs and tobacco, I find all of it to be pretty normal.

Originally Posted by blue
Oh, and by the way... I'm SO MAD at your sig. It made me freak out... "oh my GOSH there are suddenly all these bugs crawling on my computer!"
OMFG. Was reading and I thought 3 little spiders were crawling on my screen! I flipped. :O

nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:19 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 05:19 PM #14 of 92
It's one thing not to drink, do drugs, or smoke. It's another to live under a stupid label which never really had any meaning. The whole "movement" is so ridiculous that the guy who fuckin' started it has disassociated himself from it.

Basically, it's a personal decision, but for the love of god, would everyone stop throwing the term sXe around so lightly because 'hay! that's sort of like me!"

EDIT: Post above for a perfect example. Being straight edge would mean that you have made a serious resolve not to do any of the above.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 03:24 PM #15 of 92
I'm not exactly straight edge, as I do have the occasional alcoholic beverage. I don't go out and get drunk. Or stay in and get drunk. But I don't smoke or do any drugs; never have. I guess I used to be more or less straight edge, since never really touched alcohol until a couple years ago. I'm not a virgin, so if that is a requirement of being straight edge, I miss on that point too. Oh well, nobody is perfect.

FELIPE NO
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 03:46 PM #16 of 92
You could say I was straight edge five years ago. I was a virgin waiting for marriage (haha wtf), I never drank, I never did drugs (still don´t), mainly stayed home and stayed out of trouble.

Now I have two kids I´ve practically lost contact with. I´ve been to city, county and state jails and prisons. I´ve been deported. I occasionally smoke for the hell of it when I get absolutely wasted, and I have two tattoos. Something I would´ve sworn I´d never do back then. Really, it´s a loss of ideals and I just don´t care anymore. I´m just not stupid enough to go over the top.

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:48 PM #17 of 92
blue - I shouldn't even post in here. We talk enough on AIM that you know the story of my "transformation."

blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:46 PM #18 of 92
Originally Posted by nabhan
It's one thing not to drink, do drugs, or smoke. It's another to live under a stupid label which never really had any meaning. The whole "movement" is so ridiculous that the guy who fuckin' started it has disassociated himself from it.

Basically, it's a personal decision, but for the love of god, would everyone stop throwing the term sXe around so lightly because 'hay! that's sort of like me!"

EDIT: Post above for a perfect example. Being straight edge would mean that you have made a serious resolve not to do any of the above.
That's not the way language works, though. If people use a word in a different context enough, it picks up a new meaning... It's not a bad thing. Curse words are an excellent example. They used to all have very specific meanings, but they were used less and less in those contexts and now can be thrown in just about anywhere. Language evolves... so??

Labels aren't always bad things, either. They're shorter ways of saying something, and they help the human brain to organize better. Why get bent out of shape over them?

That being said, I never knew that it was a movement or that there was a specific "guy" associated with it. That's interesting!

How ya doing, buddy?
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:56 PM #19 of 92
I didn't even know the term existed until this thread. If we're going by the whole no drugs, alcohol, and remaining a virgin until marriage idea then I guess I am straight edge. I'm an omnivore, so for those that want to add that into the mix then I am not as straight edge.

I also come from a conservative family, but I have a lot of friends that are probably the total opposite of "straight edge" since my family didn't become extremely conservative until after I was 18. They were conservative before, but back then they would've at least accepted my friends more. I guess I'm the stereotypical "good girl" among the wild girls/guys.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 07:57 PM #20 of 92
Ever hear of Minor Threat? =x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge_movement

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 11:57 PM #21 of 92
I'm not one or the other. I drink, smoke, occasionally do drugs, and I'm not a virgin. But I'm not devoid of morals either.

I don't think you can call yourself anything unless you are without trying. Saying you're straight edge when every fibre of your body is willing you to act out is just stupid.

blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:05 PM #22 of 92
Originally Posted by Bernard Black
I'm not one or the other. I drink, smoke, occasionally do drugs, and I'm not a virgin. But I'm not devoid of morals either.

I don't think you can call yourself anything unless you are without trying. Saying you're straight edge when every fibre of your body is willing you to act out is just stupid.
Hmm, I thought someone would be saying the opposite. I mean, most people have wanted to do those things at various times in their lives, but have had to make an effort to abstain. Isn't that what often makes a certain trait or quality admirable? What I'm hearing you say is, "If you have to try, don't." There are many other reasons people might have for being straight-edge... good reasons--so they make that effort. My family, for example, would be very upset if I began smoking--my mom, in particular. That's a good enough reason for me to put the effort out not to do it (with the exception an experimental cigarette, perhaps).

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:12 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 12:12 AM #23 of 92
Originally Posted by blue
Hmm, I thought someone would be saying the opposite. I mean, most people have wanted to do those things at various times in their lives, but have had to make an effort to abstain. Isn't that what often makes a certain trait or quality admirable? What I'm hearing you say is, "If you have to try, don't." There are many other reasons people might have for being straight-edge... good reasons--so they make that effort. My family, for example, would be very upset if I began smoking--my mom, in particular. That's a good enough reason for me to put the effort out not to do it (with the exception an experimental cigarette, perhaps).
But if you actually wanted to smoke, then you're defying your own personality by being a non-smoker (quite a poor point considering addiction but I think it applies for everything really). I guess I meant it as more of an image point. If I wanted to impress people by being t-total for instance, it would be pointless because I enjoy the things I do.
well, besides smoking, I resent that I ever started =(

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:15 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 06:15 PM #24 of 92
Originally Posted by Devo
I wouldn't consider myself "straight edge" since I'm not a part of any movement or convince myself I'm better than people by keeping clean.
This connotation to the term only really came in the recent relapse in the popularity of being a straight-edger. In the documentary Another State of Mind, Ian MacKaye (founder of sXe, former member of Minor Threat and Fugazi, owner of Dischord records) lets the completely wasted Social Distortion and Youth Brigade stay at his house during a 1982 cross country tour. The first straight-edgers just knew people who were really fucked up from drugs and they didn't want that for themselves. They didn't give a fuck what other people did. Later, it became this great convoluted self-aggrandizing bullshit with Nazi and hardliner affiliations.

Interesting side note, MacKaye (supposedly) got the inspiration for straight-edge from nonother than Ted Nugent.

nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:50 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 08:50 PM #25 of 92
That's what I've been trying to say ;___;

Point 1, and completely irrelevant to this topic:

The people who started it saw firsthand how alcohol and drugs could fuck people up, or experienced it themselves. They made a conscious decision to avoid that stuff for their own health. What it transformed into is utterly ridiculous:

a) As devo said, a bunch of prudish assholes.
b) Rich, white suburbanites trying to be cool and in da scene!!!1.
c) Hardline militants basically who start shit when people are drinking.

Point 2~

Being edge is a decision that you make. It's not really a byproduct of not drinking, smoking, or doing drugs. If someone was once an alcoholic and decides to give all that up, it's not like they're "not allowed" to go edge. Straight Edge is an effort to abstain, and you DECIDE that you're edge.

I guess it's sort of hard to explain how I see it. I don't drink, do drugs, smoke, and haven't had sex, but I don't think I'll ever declare myself edge.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Straight edge or not?