Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Audio

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:25 PM #1 of 32
Gamingforce Audio

Hi guys.

You may remember talk of the return of Gamingforce Audio, several months ago. Gamingforce Audio was to return as a bittorrent tracker available soleley to the members of the Gamingforce community.

While there was quite a bit of discussion about it, eventually it sort of just *disappeared*. It looks as if no one at all even attempted at it, we just talked about it (I of course bitched about how releases should be lossless).

I'm here for preemptive bitching for the return of Gamingforce Audio, once and for all.

This is supposed to be a different GFF. I can tell because as I type this, there are different animated avatars distracting me from constructing a well-thought post than there were previously. Right now I am pondering how easily I could turn that animated, head-bopping Megaman gif into Megaman holding two cocks, going down on one, and riding one simultaneously. I have never thought of that before, so this must be a different incarnation of GFF.

So. GFA. Now. Discuss:

Most amazing jew boots
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:27 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 07:27 PM #2 of 32
You just ruined megaman forever

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:31 PM #3 of 32
Zero was always cooler, if not for long blonde hair alone.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:30 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:30 PM #4 of 32
I don't think there is a need for having a BT tracker, really. It's not like we have a releasegroup of our own that would put out stuff a large number of people would be interested in downloading. Especially if it's going to be a private tracker. And for casual filesharing there are definitely better ways to go than BT, should we feel that an alternative to FTPs is at all nessecary. Opening the DC hub again is the best one as far as I can see.

But the thought of a damn comprehensive video game music site, not limited to listing basic album information or the odd lyrics, was the part of GFA5 I was really most interested in personally.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
CileGray
Chocobo

Member 611

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:53 PM #5 of 32
You must have hit your head or something if you think a DC Hub is superior to a torrent tracker.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I'm a zombie.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:14 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:14 PM #6 of 32
I brought this up to bobo and he is still interested in doing this project. He says he even has the code he started on saved to his pc right now. Of course it'll be held off to a later time since right now we're still in the process of restoring the forums to the way they were before.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:28 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:28 PM #7 of 32
Originally Posted by CileGray
You must have hit your head or something if you think a DC Hub is superior to a torrent tracker.
For casual sharing it obviously is.

FELIPE NO
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:40 PM #8 of 32
I'm up for anything other than the 9,000 idiotic FTPs that only let 2 users on every 5 months and require you to pointlessly PM the owners so they can give themselves a little bit of an ego boost.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
CileGray
Chocobo

Member 611

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:37 PM #9 of 32
Megalith... Come back to the tracker then :P

Oh, and BTW... Harman Intl. owns joo I have Infinity Kappa speakers all around in my car... great ass speakers.

Now to be back on topic, if the tracker idea ever works, it could be implemented flawlessly into vBulletin y'know

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I'm a zombie.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:33 AM #10 of 32
Originally Posted by Megalith
I'm up for anything other than the 9,000 idiotic FTPs that only let 2 users on every 5 months and require you to pointlessly PM the owners so they can give themselves a little bit of an ego boost.
It's nice how you waited to say this after you've leeched your fill.

DukeBox
Chocobo

Member 1947

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:14 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:14 AM #11 of 32
I think a GFF bittorrent tracker for all things audio would be a good idea... if anything to offer a solid alternative to downloading with some central organisation ^__~ An additional possibility is having user overall stats stored by the tracker (i.e. seed-to-leech ratio, which then determines queue wait times accordingly). I know they do similar things at places like Box-torrents, and I always thought that was a good idea.

Most amazing jew boots
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:43 AM #12 of 32
Do we even need GFA?

I mean, look at Galbadia Hotel.

They have us beat 20 times over. Hundreds of soundtracks on what appears to be a direct download HTTP server?

I don't know if there are any download limits on that monster, but it's better than anything we could put together.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:55 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:55 AM #13 of 32
Thanks for the link, Jazz ;D Never heard of the place. Quite a nice display.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

DukeBox
Chocobo

Member 1947

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:05 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 01:05 AM #14 of 32
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
Do we even need GFA?

They have us beat 20 times over. Hundreds of soundtracks on what appears to be a direct download HTTP server?

I don't know if there are any download limits on that monster, but it's better than anything we could put together.
Actually, that's a good point ^^; For some reason I had just assumed that Galbadia Hotel either had some sort of download limit or difficult-to-maintain running cost, and so was basing my thoughts purely from the perspective of reducing load on Galbadia to prevent it from crashing.

However, that said, one thing that is sometimes frustrating about Galbadia is that you have to download each track/image/etc individually. A GFA Bittorrent would side-step this problem, since each torrent would line up an entire album for download (and then if you wanted to pick-and-choose files using managers such as Azureus).

Another thing I've noticed is that some albums at Galbadia have tracks which aren't properly named (especially for some OSTs I've come across - e.g. PoP:WW OST). With a GFA bittorrent, I guess we could make sure that all files are properly named and tagged ^^;

Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:31 AM #15 of 32
Originally Posted by DukeBox
Another thing I've noticed is that some albums at Galbadia have tracks which aren't properly named (especially for some OSTs I've come across - e.g. PoP:WW OST). With a GFA bittorrent, I guess we could make sure that all files are properly named and tagged ^^;
Yeah, you have to remember that Galbadia Hotel is a business whose model is to provide as much downloadable game/anime music to the public, while generating revenue with Google Adsense. As such, they focus more on finding as many soundtracks as they can, and putting them up. There is no incentive to accurately identify and label soundtracks, remove duplication, supply good tag information, or retain any experitse on staff.

It fills a niche for the vast hordes of casual VGM fans, however, and in that sense, it's like the old GFA (and I'll admit that I found and downloaded a rare Spyro the Dragon promo on GH.) It's not a site that makes the more hard-core collectors happy though, principally because it's going to increase the amount of incorrectly labeled and poorly documented music floating around out there, and also because they've shown a tendancy to delete the coraborating information (.nfo or .txt files) that we cusomarily provide when we rip something (and then there's the whole profit thing.)

FELIPE NO
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:35 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:35 AM #16 of 32
I thought Google's Adsense didn't fork over cash to places that dealed with various subjects, like MP3s. Heard grumblings about it in reference to using the same ad system on GFF.

They use Ads by Yahoo. Is that tied to Google's Adsense or do they have different regs, or what? =o

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:41 AM #17 of 32
Originally Posted by Gechmir
I thought Google's Adsense didn't fork over cash to places that dealed with various subjects, like MP3s. Heard grumblings about it in reference to using the same ad system on GFF.

They use Ads by Yahoo. Is that tied to Google's Adsense or do they have different regs, or what? =o
Could be yahoo, in which case, my mistake.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:53 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 05:53 PM #18 of 32
A new incarnation of GFA should be a quality compendium of videogame music complete with reviews, ratings, comments and its own BT tracker.

That would be awesome and I'd be more than willing to contribute.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:35 PM #19 of 32
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
Do we even need GFA?

It's run by Sarah; you're not supposed to give him any credit. What's wrong with you?

Anyway, there are a lot of places where one can get sum filez, but I don't think that's adequate reasoning for not making another place where one can get filez.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:18 PM #20 of 32
So, would we be able to create our own torrents and upload them?

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:32 PM #21 of 32
GFA should be resurrected to serve lossless files, with a tracker similar to CileGray's. There would be no other reason to justify the return of GFA.

As it stands, the only incentive seems to be soundtrack labeling and identification. Guess what. ::noonecares::

You gotta have something that nobody else has; something that would have a lot of demand. If you're anal over something as trivial as proper capitalization on ID3 tags, then you might as well serve music that has no loss in quality. Why would you download MP3s, when you could get a lossless copy, burn it, then encode it to any compressed filetype that you wish. The large size of FLAC, APE and other files ain't even an issue.

The bottom line is that there is no major server of lossless game soundtracks, and if you want to return GFA to its former glory (lol yeah ok), then lossless is the way to go.

We already have a guide that can be followed for encoding in lossless. Surely, we have enough members that would be willing to buy some of the latest releases, as well. I'm definitely getting the ACZ soundtrack at the end of May, for instance, so you'd have it right away on the server.

Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:37 PM #22 of 32
BT is horrible for some people though...

The BT protocol filter on some ISP really kills their uploading and downloading speeds. Unless GF community were all to use BitComet and their encryption header, those with ISPs that throttle BT won't get anywhere.

Missing that one music track:
Fire Fight - Mission X // Frostbite

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:40 PM #23 of 32
That's ok.

They'll just have to use the idiotic FTPs in the My Stuff forum.

::sends PM::

::5 months passes::

FELIPE NO
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:43 PM #24 of 32
Originally Posted by Megalith
That's ok.

They'll just have to use the idiotic FTPs in the My Stuff forum.

::sends PM::

::5 months passes::
In FTP owners' defense, not all FTPs are so strict. Most require that you post; not all require a whitelist or whatnot.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:07 PM #25 of 32
Originally Posted by Para
BT is horrible for some people though...

The BT protocol filter on some ISP really kills their uploading and downloading speeds. Unless GF community were all to use BitComet and their encryption header, those with ISPs that throttle BT won't get anywhere.
How many ISPs do that.

If any ISP throttled my bandwidth without stating that they would in the TOS I would go the local co and whack people in the heads with a steel pipe.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Gamingforce Audio