Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] The Unit

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:18 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 04:18 PM #1 of 70
The Unit

This is the new show from Shawn Ryan (creator of The Shield) and David Mamet, starring Dennis Haysbert (President David Palmer from 24) and Scott Foley. Here's the synopsis from the website:

Quote:
From Executive Producers David Mamet and Shawn Ryan, THE UNIT is an action drama that follows a covert team of Special Forces operatives as they risk their lives on undercover missions around the globe, while their families maintain the home front, protecting their husbands' secrets. Jonas Blane (Dennis Haysbert) leads the Unit on missions out in the field and is responsible for taking new recruit Bob Brown (Scott Foley) under his wing. The Unit includes Jonas, Colonel Tom Ryan (Robert Patrick), Mack Gerhardt (Max Martini), Charles Grey (Michael Irby), Hector Williams (Demore Barnes) and Bob Brown, all highly skilled, trustworthy, brave and dependable soldiers whose ability to rely on each other is what creates their brotherhood. Jonas' wife, Molly (Regina Taylor), is the base matriarch who comforts and counsels the other wives as they cope with the fear and uncertainty they experience when their husbands leave home. Molly and Tiffy Gerhardt (Abby Brammell), a wife hiding her own dark secrets, help Bob's pregnant wife, Kim (Audrey Marie Anderson), acclimate to the stress of her new secret life.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/the_unit/

So who else is gonna watch this? I'm mainly watching this show because Dennis Haysbert is in it, and because Shaawn Ryan made it. I'm also watching it because it reminds me a little bit of Over There, the canceled FX show about the Iraq War.

Most amazing jew boots
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:37 PM #2 of 70
Sounds good to me. It all depends on what time and day it comes on that will determine whether I'll watch it. Right now there's only three shows that I actually make an effort to watch each week.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
[/RIGHT]
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:44 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 04:44 PM #3 of 70
It comes on tonight, actually, at 9/8c. Convenient for me, as it comes on right before The SHield does. And this is its regular timeslot.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:55 PM #4 of 70
But I have to watch Idol. waaaaaaa! ;_; Maybe I'll flip back and forth.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
[/RIGHT]
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:00 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 05:00 PM #5 of 70
Idol only stays on for an hour, from 8/7c - 9/8c (yes, I watch it too), so you can watch both (like I am). My problem is that I also wanted to check out that show Sons and Daughters on ABC, which comes on at the same time as The Unit. But The Unit looks better, so I'll have to check that out another time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:05 PM #6 of 70
Well to tell you the truth my initial react is basically; Meh. I liked the slow motion reaction time sequence with Black, the sky diving scene and the explosion at the beginning of the episode but other then that I saw nothing noteworthy that would encourage me to watch it next week.

Others reactions?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
[/RIGHT]
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:15 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:15 PM #7 of 70
The show actually turned out better than what I expected it to be. I liked how Dennis Haysbert was gonna be on there, and how Shawn Ryan was one of the creators, but other than that I actually didn't think I was gonna like it that much. However, I did turn out to like it a lot. Both plots interested me (the "husbands" and the "wives"), and the show seem to have pretty good production values. I'll definitely watch it again next week (even though I didn't get to see the preview for next week since my stupid local news cut it off for election results).

Plus, President Palmer shot a mule. Best scene ever.

FELIPE NO
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:00 AM #8 of 70
All these shows are too similar. Same kind of characters in the same dramatic situations. I think the best one of its kind so far was Over There.

These shows need to start throwing in some new stuff before I just give up on FX.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:49 PM #9 of 70
I actually watched this by chance since my mom taped it. I don't usually get into shows like this, but it was pretty good. I'd only watch it when she watches it though, nothing too engaging.

I liked the part at the end with stuffed monkey and the "Yaalah Halam." They already throw that mental stability issue into the mix.
I really liked that concept of the wives as well, with how reluctant the one woman was at first.
I was sad when he shot the mule though Poor mule... but I laughed when the missile decimated the car (thumbs up)

How ya doing, buddy?
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:13 AM #10 of 70
I thought that part with the monkey was kinda dumb. Sure it added some "mental stability issues" into the mix but with his seemeingly bullet-time-like reactions, I figured he woulda been able to handle a situation like that better, I mean what if it was just a kid standing there with the monkey toy. oh noes! =o

[/RIGHT]
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:54 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 03:54 PM #11 of 70
Originally Posted by Jan
I figured he woulda been able to handle a situation like that better, I mean what if it was just a kid standing there with the monkey toy. oh noes! =o
But didn't he shoot the mirror? That's the thing I found stupid about that scene. If he truly thought that there was a threat, why shoot the mirror instead of turning around and you know...shooting the threat?

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:20 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 04:20 PM #12 of 70
This looked like it would be a hell of a show, to me, from the previews. Too bad the reviews are lackluster, at best. I guess I'll watch an episode next week and see if I like it, though.

Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:58 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 05:58 PM #13 of 70
Does anyone just not feel right seeing Haysbert not as the President? I tried watching it at first, but I couldn't take it seriously so I just watched another show.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:09 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 09:09 PM #14 of 70
Originally Posted by Casaubon
Does anyone just not feel right seeing Haysbert not as the President?
It's a little weird, but if he wasn't such a great actor it then yeah, it wouldn't feel right. I think he still managed to play the part well without taking too many elements from the Palmer character.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:45 AM #15 of 70
CBS is now advertising, due to the 20 or so million viewers of the series premiere, that The Unit is the number one new drama. I didn't watch it myself, but found this to be an interesting piece of information. It still won't make me watch it.

Most amazing jew boots
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:55 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 11:55 PM #16 of 70
CBS's advertising is always bullshit. This show only got 18.2 million viewers, yet they advertised 21 million. Not nearly as bad as that one CSI commercial I saw (163 million viewers, or something like that), but still, I don't have much faith in their advertising.

Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:27 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 11:27 PM #17 of 70
Originally Posted by RockgamerXIII
It's a little weird, but if he wasn't such a great actor it then yeah, it wouldn't feel right. I think he still managed to play the part well without taking too many elements from the Palmer character.
Maybe it's just his darn voice, I might give it another chance since apparantly it's actually good.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:24 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 07:24 PM #18 of 70
Well, last night's episode managed to do good in the ratings (17.8 mil), even against American Idol. I still haven't watched it fully yet (I only caught it during commercial breaks on Idol), but it looked pretty interesting. Did anyone else catch it?

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:09 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 08:09 PM #19 of 70
I just finished watching the two episodes. So far, so good. President Palmer is beast. The first episode is intense, and it reminded me a lot of that one Rainbow Six mission. I like the show so far, though I wouldn't risk my life trying to watch it like I often do with 24. Also, them bitches...

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:43 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 11:43 PM #20 of 70
I liked Over There a bit better than this show, but I suppose it's still pretty decent.

I do however dislike that stupid fat black lady that was talking to the shrink. Annoying as hell.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 06:39 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 05:39 PM #21 of 70
Originally Posted by Stealth
I liked Over There a bit better than this show
Definitely. I still wished they hadn't cancelled that show, but at least they're releasing the complete series on DVD.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 10:50 PM #22 of 70
Yet another kick-ass episode. This time a beast solo operation by President David Palmer. I liked it. The show doesn't have the same enticement factor as the gods of TV, like 24, Lost, etc., but this is just another hour to add to the 16 hours of must-see TV I have each week. Glad I don't sleep.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:54 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 11:54 PM #23 of 70
Damn, I missed it (I just saw last week's episode over weekend). I hope someone is making torrents of this show so I can catch this episode.

Most amazing jew boots
AC1
BITCHES LOVE SMILEY FACES

Member 2165

Level 8.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:42 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 02:42 AM #24 of 70
^ Guess what XIII?

The Chinese official (Hahn I think) who wanted to Jack to receive justice last season for capturing the Consulate...was alongside Palmer!

The Unit is 24 Heaven/Purgatory LOL.

I'm beginning to like this show now. I never judge a show by its pilot (Venture Bros., American Dad, this, etc.) because it ends up being good later.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 01:23 PM #25 of 70
Originally Posted by AC1
^ Guess what XIII?

The Chinese official (Hahn I think) who wanted to Jack to receive justice last season for capturing the Consulate...was alongside Palmer!
For real? Man, they just keep bringing in all these 24 people. I'm sure next season Tony and Chase will be joining the unit.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] The Unit