Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

eMule "waiting" problem.

baconharvester
Carob Nut

Member 627

Level 6.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2007, 09:04 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2007, 07:04 PM #1 of 13
eMule "waiting" problem.

I recently started using emule. I opened the ports I needed to on my router and unblocked it from windows firewall so I can connect perfectly to servers KAD and I have a high id. I also used their "test ports" option to make sure that I can connect correctly. However I have a problem downloading files from sources.

Ex. I see 10 sources, but only 1 is sending me the file.

A majority of the time though, I will see 10 sources and not connect to any, and the file just stays in "waiting" mode. I've left emule running for one day and still no change. Do you guys know what I can do to fix this?

Most amazing jew boots
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2007, 09:43 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2007, 03:43 AM #2 of 13
Usually you can't "fix" that, because the system is working just fine. You need to wait your turn before the people who have the file can send it to you. They only have a certain number of upload slots, so if other people are requesting stuff as well, you just need to wait.

This is why eMule sucks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Roan
Chocobo

Member 1565

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 03:17 AM #3 of 13
This is why eMule sucks.
True. But in the end if you cant find it anywhere, its probably in emule.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 01:06 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2007, 08:06 PM #4 of 13
This is why eMule sucks.
Saying Emule sucks because *some* files are slow to get is like saying BitTorrent sucks because some torrents aren't seeded. <_<

Most amazing jew boots
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 02:24 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2007, 08:24 PM #5 of 13
Saying Emule sucks because *some* files are slow to get is like saying BitTorrent sucks because some torrents aren't seeded. <_<
In my experience, every file on eMule requires an enormous wait time to download, even when there are a huge number of available sources. Compare the download time of a well-sourced file on eMule and a well-seeded file on bittorrent of a similar size. I'd be prepared to bet you spend more time just waiting for the download to begin on eMule than the whole download would even take on bittorent.

I suppose I should have said that wait times are just one of the plethora of reasons why eMule sucks. Another good reason is the huge number of fake files and fake servers. Also, in absolute terms, I would say bittorent does suck. It just sucks less than eMule. The easiest downloads to snag are those on IRC.

If you guys get a good experience out of eMule, that's great. I didn't, and I won't ever bother using it again. It just doesn't seem like a very convenient kind of system. Torrents are much easier, as long as they are seeded.

I was speaking idiomatically.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 06:13 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 01:13 AM #6 of 13
It really depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I download a bunch of stuff that you'd never find on torrent, and you would *maybe* find after hours of search on DC or Soulseek. What makes Emule slow is also what makes it so great: it's centralized. You have a constant access to everything everyone connected to your server or the KAD network is sharing. This explains the long waiting queues for poorly available things. However, from my personal experience, without ever being as fast as super popular torrents, Emule has always been pretty fast for largely shared files.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:34 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 01:34 AM #7 of 13
It really depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I download a bunch of stuff that you'd never find on torrent, and you would *maybe* find after hours of search on DC or Soulseek.
I know this is a bit late, but I want to respond. There are only two categories of file that I can imagine you might find on eMule that you would never find a torrent for, and I want to know if I've hit the nail on the head with regards to your download needs. If I'm wrong, then I think there's a chance you might be able to find some private torrent sites that have what you're looking for.

The only things eMule seems to have an advantage over torrents for are:

1) Obscure music. You either look on DC, Soulseek, or eMule for rare and obscure music. Torrents for music seem to be mainly mainstream artists.

2) Anime in languages other than Japanese or English. I've found French, Spanish, Italian and Chinese fansubs on eMule, and never available on torrents.

If not those things, would you might telling me (in general term) what you do find eMule best for? I'm not trying to get confontational and suggest that torrents are always better, I'm just genuinely intrigued.

FELIPE NO
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 05:22 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 12:22 PM #8 of 13
I know this is a bit late, but I want to respond. There are only two categories of file that I can imagine you might find on eMule that you would never find a torrent for, and I want to know if I've hit the nail on the head with regards to your download needs. If I'm wrong, then I think there's a chance you might be able to find some private torrent sites that have what you're looking for.

The only things eMule seems to have an advantage over torrents for are:

1) Obscure music. You either look on DC, Soulseek, or eMule for rare and obscure music. Torrents for music seem to be mainly mainstream artists.

2) Anime in languages other than Japanese or English. I've found French, Spanish, Italian and Chinese fansubs on eMule, and never available on torrents.

If not those things, would you might telling me (in general term) what you do find eMule best for? I'm not trying to get confontational and suggest that torrents are always better, I'm just genuinely intrigued.
haha, no actually you've got it right. I download tons of music off emule, although I also rely on DC for this. And yes, movies, cartoons, animes subbed or dubbed in french, heh. :thumbsup: for the logical thinking. ^_^

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:36 AM Local time: Aug 15, 2007, 07:36 AM #9 of 13
I always thought eMule was full of spyware. That's why I didn't try it. Maybe I'm wrong. . .

Jam it back in, in the dark.
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:50 AM Local time: Aug 15, 2007, 01:50 PM #10 of 13
I always thought eMule was full of spyware. That's why I didn't try it. Maybe I'm wrong. . .
Could it be that you're thinking of LimeWire? That particular P2P app is almost guaranteed to do bad things to your computer.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:20 AM Local time: Aug 15, 2007, 09:20 AM #11 of 13
I may as well have been.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:16 PM #12 of 13
Could it be that you're thinking of LimeWire? That particular P2P app is almost guaranteed to do bad things to your computer.
FrostWire is a open source fork of LimeWire and it seems to be much better.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:47 PM Local time: Aug 15, 2007, 09:47 PM #13 of 13
FrostWire is a open source fork of LimeWire and it seems to be much better.
Yeah probably. There's nothing wrong with the Limewire concept, since it's simply a client for the open source Gnutella P2P network. Pretty much any other client (and there are others) would make the Gnutella network safe and convenient to use.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > eMule "waiting" problem.