Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Computer won't start after static shock.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2009, 04:49 PM #1 of 4
Computer won't start after static shock.

OK it's the second time I got this problem. Yesterday when I tried to turn off my computer, I received a static shock from the button and my computer turn immediatly off. since then my computer has be dead. It doesn't respond at all when I try to turn it on.

I remember the first time it happen, I just unplug it from the power source and replug it and it started again without any problem. But now when I tried this, my computer do start but only for 2sec before turning itself off again. The only way I can get it to start is by unplug it and replug and again it will start up for 2sec and then dead again.

could something had fried inside my computer from the static shock? because when it turn on for 2sec everything seem to work fine, the fans start up, the video card etc but it stil shut down after 2sec...

any idea?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Mar 14, 2009, 06:48 PM #2 of 4
Sounds like you fried your motherboard with a couple-thousand-volt shock.

Do you know where exactly the shock came from? (i.e. was it from the case surrounding the power switch, or was it from the switch itself?)

You could try swapping out the current power supply with one that you know works, but I am fairly certain that you killed your motherboard. There might be other components that were affected too, so you should look into checking them all as well, but start with the motherboard.

As a long term solution, I would suggest not having your computer in a room with carpeting.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Immortal
I float.

Member 1281

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:03 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2009, 01:03 PM #3 of 4
As a long term solution, I would suggest not having your computer in a room with carpeting.
or if it has to be in a room with carpeting, use fan filters and lift the tower off the carpet. That has been very helpful for me in these situations.

I would suggest trying the PSU like packrat said. Before that though, I would take the tower to a tile surface, ground myself and open the case to inspect for damaged components. Who knows, when you open the case you might see a giant char mark that will tell you exactly what's broken haha

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

While everyone around me is busy drowning, I float.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:36 PM #4 of 4
well we tried changing the power supply, no go, we tried just removing the video card no go. So basicaly my motherboard is dead. Lucky for me we called Asus and it's still on warranty, so they<ll send me another one.

Now let's just ope that when we change it there's not other part that fried...

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Computer won't start after static shock.