Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Manga] Civil War Discussion Thread

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:45 AM #26 of 231
Alright, so I'm reading the Newsrama interview with the editor of Civil War - Tom Brevoort.

Quote:
NRAMA: So don't leave us hanging here Tom - you can't just walk away here after that ending - got a few teases for issue #4?

TB: Okay, we've already said that issue #4 includes a death, a funeral, a betrayal and a team reborn. So somebody's not making it out of the book in one piece, and you're about to see a major status quo shift for both a team and a book in the Marvel U.

And Thor is the fifth tease.
Predictions - Death & Funeral - Captain America (actually, I have no idea, but he is getting the shit beat out of him in #3...)

Betrayal - Spidey switching sides

Team Reborn - Avengers, obviously.

How ya doing, buddy?

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 02:57 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 12:57 PM #27 of 231
Something tells me that Spider-man might be killed off.

Yes it would be a major upset (As would Cap's death), but it would also prove to be one of the most emotionally powerful reasons for the Civil War to stop (I expect him to be killed near the end of the war).

It would really be some brass balls of Marvel to do this, but its about time somebody that everyone knows gets killed off.

Thor's involvement will certainly be interesting to see.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:02 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 04:02 PM #28 of 231
Originally Posted by Dark Nation

Yes it would be a major upset (As would Cap's death), but it would also prove to be one of the most emotionally powerful reasons for the Civil War to stop (I expect him to be killed near the end of the war).

It would really be some brass balls of Marvel to do this, but its about time somebody that everyone knows gets killed off.

I don't think Spider-Man will die, he's just too well known and loved. If it did happen though, it would be the single ballsiest(?) move in comic book history.

- WraithTwo -

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:35 PM #29 of 231

Never going to happen. He's got his solo monthlies. Ah, it's going to be MJ or Aunt May. That would lead to Parker switching sides for sure.

I was speaking idiomatically.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:09 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 06:09 PM #30 of 231
Yeah, that makes sense.

#3 sure seemed like they wanted to forshadow a breakup of the Fantastic Four too, you know, wake up from a coma and go "what the hell are you idiots doing", etc. It was just short enough to know it will be a major plot point.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
and Brandy does her best to understand
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:21 PM #31 of 231
The FF breakup has been spoiled in the solicitations already. Half of them (looks like Thing and Reed) and Pro, and Sue and Johny are going to be against it. The only question that remains now is will Sue stop being "neutral" and actually fight?

FELIPE NO

deadpool
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9741

Level 2.00

Jul 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:37 PM #32 of 231
I think Ben might go Anti Reg just like Sue and Johnny, based on the way he was acting in the last issue of F.F. I think only Reed is gonna stay Pro Reg

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:40 PM #33 of 231
I agree, but for now he's with the Pro reg people.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:20 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 08:20 PM #34 of 231
Originally Posted by WraithTwo
I don't think Spider-Man will die, he's just too well known and loved. If it did happen though, it would be the single ballsiest(?) move in comic book history.

- WraithTwo -
Well in my defense I only said "Might".

Realistically the chance of losing Spider-man is practically nill, but remember when DC did (For a time) kill off Superman, thier mascot and the number one popular super-hero? (Say what you want about the Marvel Universe, but Spider-man IS very popular in mainstream society and is one of the few characters to be instantly recognizeable, on part with Superman, Batman, Captain America & The X-Men in recognition). That DC Comics were ballsy enough to do that to thier character (Despite that he 'came back' later on), it would make sense that Marvel would do something just as unexpected, or at least I would like for that to happen... that Marvel would kill off someone you never even thought of. There's just a lot of little hints that something is going to happen to Spider-man, subtext clues I think.

BUT: If MJ or Aunt May got killed off, well that would certainly give him a reason to stop supporting the registration act, not to mention would be a serious morale drain & emotional rollercoaster. Hard to say which would affect him worse: Aunt May is basically his only close relative, with his Uncle Dying, and Mary Jane is his best friend AND wife, with Gwen Stacey being killed by the Green Goblin.

Still, I'd love to see the Comic World's reaction if Spider-man is incapaciated, like maybe put into a Coma or something, ... something life-threatening.

As far as the Fantastic 4 go, I wonder what side Ben Grimm will take. His loyalties are probably closest to Johnny Storm (As they are as close as brothers can get without being blood).

Finally, I just read Wolverine #42, and I can't wait to see if he's able to track down Nitro (Or more likely, WHEN he will track down Nitro).

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Dark Nation; Jul 20, 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:39 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 09:39 PM #35 of 231
Originally Posted by joshi
there hasn't been any merchandise made with the new costume. tee-hee.
Heh, actually it's coming.

Source: http://photos.superherotimes.com/sho...y.php?cat=1241

Anyway, does anyone know if they plan on reprinting Civil War #2 or Amazing Spider-man #532? Cause I missed out on both, and tried to get the reprint of ASM#532 but were all sold out when I got there.

Most amazing jew boots
WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:07 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 10:07 PM #36 of 231
Well in my defense I only said "Might".

Realistically the chance of losing Spider-man is practically nill, but remember when DC did (For a time) kill off Superman, thier mascot and the number one popular super-hero? (Say what you want about the Marvel Universe, but Spider-man IS very popular in mainstream society and is one of the few characters to be instantly recognizeable, on part with Superman, Batman, Captain America & The X-Men in recognition). That DC Comics were ballsy enough to do that to thier character (Despite that he 'came back' later on), it would make sense that Marvel would do something just as unexpected, or at least I would like for that to happen... that Marvel would kill off someone you never even thought of. There's just a lot of little hints that something is going to happen to Spider-man, subtext clues I think.

BUT: If MJ or Aunt May got killed off, well that would certainly give him a reason to stop supporting the registration act, not to mention would be a serious morale drain & emotional rollercoaster. Hard to say which would affect him worse: Aunt May is basically his only close relative, with his Uncle Dying, and Mary Jane is his best friend AND wife, with Gwen Stacey being killed by the Green Goblin.

Still, I'd love to see the Comic World's reaction if Spider-man is incapaciated, like maybe put into a Coma or something, ... something life-threatening.

As far as the Fantastic 4 go, I wonder what side Ben Grimm will take. His loyalties are probably closest to Johnny Storm (As they are as close as brothers can get without being blood).

Finally, I just read Wolverine #42, and I can't wait to see if he's able to track down Nitro (Or more likely, WHEN he will track down Nitro).
Oh don't get me wrong, I think Spider-man is fucked. Honestly, by this series end, he'll probably wish he was dead.

- WraithTwo -

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:25 AM #37 of 231
Actually, I just read the details on the Civil War panel at the latest Con and they've stated that Ben will finally decide that he is against Reg and will be moving to Europe instead of fighting against it.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 04:00 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 02:00 AM #38 of 231
A bit of a segue here, but what exactly is the difference between your garden variety superhero and a mutant? Is it that mutants are born with their abilities while super heros acquire them through some other means?

If Superman were in the Marvel Universe, would he be a mutant?

WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 04:09 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 03:09 AM #39 of 231
Originally Posted by Sakabadger
A bit of a segue here, but what exactly is the difference between your garden variety superhero and a mutant? Is it that mutants are born with their abilities while super heros acquire them through some other means?

If Superman were in the Marvel Universe, would he be a mutant?
A mutant is someone that was born with a mutation in their gene pool. Superman wouldn't be a mutant because he was never human to begin with. A mutant, aside from their mutation, are otherwise completely human.

- WraithTwo -

FELIPE NO
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 04:25 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 02:25 AM #40 of 231
Well, that makes sense. And I suppose I asked a fairly obvious question, but in my mind mutants and superheros were kind of the same thing: people (who may or may not even look like people) who can do some interesting things with their bodies. Thus I thought it was interesting that mutants were discriminated against while the regular capes flew around everywhere just fine... but I suppose this is a comparison already being drawn in the Civil War stories.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:40 PM #41 of 231
Originally Posted by WraithTwo

- WraithTwo -
Obviously, you've forgotten the Death of Superman. That took guts. It would have been greater had he stayed dead, but, in this case, neither would Spidey. So it's really not much different.

I didn't like Civil War #3.
There's a paper with a picture of three of the Sinister Six on it. Didn't we just stop Lizard in Sensational Spider-Man? Hasn't Doc Ock been in custody since Millar's run on Marvel Knight's Spider-Man? (I've been noticing this a fair amount recently, but why are all documents and papers in Marvel written in Latin? Look at the one's in this issue. Look at the thing Speedball was supposed to sign in Front Line.)

Spoiler:
I find the whole idea of Emma Frost and Tony Stark having a relationship quite creepy. I do like the School's stance, though. Bishop's decision doesn't suprise me, considering he worked for the government in his time.

The whole identities thing and the continuity with Cable & Deadpool seems a bit off. But maybe the events in Cable & Deadpool happen shortly before that dinner scene.

Cloak can be tranquilized? I was under the impression he couldn't be hit by anything. And how does this stop them from teleporting? Cable has that whole bodyslide system.

Some characters are acting out of character. Sue Richards and Thing working with Tony? In their own mag, Sue expressed her discontent on the issue, claiming she didn't want to fight people she'd worked with. Thing sympathized with the protesters on Yancy Street and also seemed to dislike the idea of fighting other heroes. Doc Samson almost never solves problems with his fists. Being involved in a battle of heroes is really out of character. He usually solves things through psychoanalysis and observing. I mean, it's fine for him to support the Act because he works for the government frequently, but I think it's a stretch to say he'd fight for it.

Spoiler:
Thor works for S.H.I.E.L.D.? Since when? He wasn't working for them in the most recent issue of FF, which is supposedly going on at the same time. How much time has elapsed between that issue and this one to cause all of this change, including the stuff with Sue and Thing?

I would like to point out that there are a few good points. I like the stances of the School (as I've already said), Black Panther, and Dr. Strange. I'd prefer to see Strange end the whole thing by just making the Act disappear and doing a mind-wipe, but I guess that would be cheating. The art's a little better this issue, but I've isolated the problem: it's not dark enough. McNiven's art is too sunny for this dark tale.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:28 PM #42 of 231

that would be the most major mistake Marvel ever made. they wouldn't do it in a thousand years.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 03:10 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 01:10 AM #43 of 231
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Obviously, you've forgotten the Death of Superman. That took guts. It would have been greater had he stayed dead, but, in this case, neither would Spidey. So it's really not much different.
That's what I was saying above, as Superman's death was the basis of my theory that they might kill off spidey. That DC had the guts to kill of supes (At least for a time being) means that Marvel now has an example of what would happen, and could pull a similar stunt.

Not that It's bloody likely to happen, but if Marvel wanted to really pull readers in... well that's one way to approach it.

Quote:
I didn't like Civil War #3.
Its not on the Jetsam site, do you happen to have a way for us 'true belivers' to get it?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:11 AM #44 of 231
Well, I bought a copy at my local comic book store. Other than scanning the comic and then finding a site to store such scans, there's nothing I can do. You could read the synopsis on Wikipedia, I suppose.

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:57 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 11:57 PM #45 of 231
A question, are the planning to release a Director's Cut version of CW 2 and the rest of the issues?

Cause I'd love to get my hands on that issue.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:08 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 11:08 PM #46 of 231
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Well, I bought a copy at my local comic book store. Other than scanning the comic and then finding a site to store such scans, there's nothing I can do. You could read the synopsis on Wikipedia, I suppose.
Well I found a link for it and now I have it. I'll see about uploading it tomorrow at school for the rest of you (Its about 12Mbs unrar'd)

However, I am still missing (In read order BEFORE CW #3):
Marvel Spotlight: Millar/McNiven
Amazing Spider-man #532
Thunderbolts #103
Wolverine #43
X-Factor #8

If anyone has any of those, let me know!

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:11 AM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 12:11 AM #47 of 231
Well I found a link for it and now I have it. I'll see about uploading it tomorrow at school for the rest of you (Its about 12Mbs unrar'd)
Civil War 3 is on Jetsam now, actually. Civil_War_3__of_7__-_Mark_Millar_-_Steve_McNiven__2006___RIP-ODB_.cbr

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 11:18 PM #48 of 231
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Lawl, nevermind then

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:23 AM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 02:23 PM #49 of 231
I just read frontline 4. I really like the adventure of Ben. It's nice to read something about ordinary people in the marvel univserse. Only thing i dislike is that last part where they draw lines to diffrent wars and stuff.
Spoiler:
this one was about the vietnam war and it just reminded me of Muhammed Ali, "No vietcong ever called my nigger" lol.

no homo
joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:10 AM #50 of 231
the little stories at the end are OK, but they could stop putting them in their altogether and I wouldn't notice. it's all the same to me. just a few more pages they could dedicate to Ben or Speedball.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Manga] Civil War Discussion Thread