Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Bridge Collapses in Laval near Montreal

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:29 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2006, 09:29 AM #1 of 10
Bridge Collapses in Laval near Montreal

Originally Posted by CBC

Five people were killed when a highway overpass collapsed in Laval, north of Montreal, sending tonnes of concrete onto two cars, police said on Sunday.

Three of the victims were in one of the cars, while two were in a second vehicle.

Crane operators recovered the wrecked cars early Sunday after crews worked for nearly 15 hours to clear tonnes of rubble.

They loaded the vehicles onto a flatbed truck and took them to a municipal garage. They were crushed so badly they barely reached the knees of one firefighter on the scene.

Debris fell ahead of collapse

Reports say people saw chunks of concrete falling from the overpass, about one hour before it crumbled around 12:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Transport Quebec spokesman Mario St-Pierre told a Montreal newspaper, the Gazette, a maintenance crew was dispatched to the scene to clean up the pieces of concrete that had fallen.

"Portions of structures like this fall off all the time and most of the time that does not affect the stability of the bridge," he told the paper.

A stretch of three lanes of the viaduct, part of Boulevard de la Concorde, gave way, dropping onto Highway 19 below, causing six vehicles and a motorcycle on the overpass to plunge 15 metres.

Spinal column injuries

Six people were injured, two critically. Three of the four adults undergoing treatment at Sacré-Coeur Hospital in Montreal suffered vertebral fractures, Dr. Jacques Laplante told reporters.

One of the injured underwent surgery Sunday morning, while another was to undergo an operation later in the day, he said.

Robert Hotte of Laval was driving east on Boulevard de la Concorde when his car fell to the highway below. He and his girlfriend escaped with minor injuries.

"It was like a roller-coaster ride. I saw just in front of me the bridge collapsing," he told CBC News. "Then it became all dark. We managed to get out from my side window."

Renata Isopo, who lives a few houses away from the overpass, said the collapse sounded like an earthquake.

"It was something like a huge rock rolling down, just making one enormous thump — making the houses shake," she said.

Laval Mayor Gilles Vaillancourt told CBC News the bridge was 35 years old and there was no reason to suspect problems.

"Buses were going on it, trucks, everybody was going on it every day. The bridge had been inspected less than a year ago."

This is the second bridge to come down in Laval in seven years. In 2000, an overpass under construction collapsed, killing one man. Inspectors are now checking all bridges in the area to make sure they are sound.
SAUCE:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/...e.html?ref=rss

This was also in this morning's paper. Mucknuggle might probably get better coverage over this. That's pretty freaky and sad. I've been to Montreal and most of the time I generally felt safe on the roads. Interestingly I've also been to Laval as well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

- What we all do best -
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:35 AM #2 of 10
Ya, there's a HUGE part of the front page of The Gazette dedicated to this. The picture of the broken overpass doesn't look very nice... I don't really know much else about it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:37 AM #3 of 10
Quote:
"Portions of structures like this fall off all the time and most of the time that does not affect the stability of the bridge," he told the paper.
Really? How big were these portions of structure? Dime-sized? Fist-sized? Basketball-sized?

My thoughts are who is going to be held accountable for this. Two bridge collapses in the same place in less than a decade seems too much. Was it the DOT? Contractors? Inspectors? Someone was cutting corners here...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
---
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:36 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2006, 10:36 AM #4 of 10
Quote:
...sending tonnes of concrete onto two cars...

They were crushed so badly they barely reached the knees of one firefighter on the scene.
That's really awful.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 02:04 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2006, 12:04 PM #5 of 10
That's .... really awful. Dunno what else to say. It kinda makes me feel queasy too, though I've never been to Laval and don't know anyone there.

Most amazing jew boots
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 02:27 PM #6 of 10
Meh, it's not that big a deal. It's not creating that big of a buzz around here. I think people have been de-sensitized a bit since that shooting a few weeks ago.

How ya doing, buddy?

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 04:06 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2006, 04:06 PM #7 of 10
Yep. .. People seem to be able to be sensitive to only limited things. I think its horrid that this happened. I could not imagine being crushed by tonnes of concrete when driving home, or to work....

How ya doing, buddy?
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 04:08 PM #8 of 10
in Le Journal de Montréal, there are tons of pages talking about it. Nothing really interesting to read though. What a waste of 1.00$ I tell you!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
Phoque le PQ
Présentement en ligne

Member 1886

Level 9.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 05:19 PM #9 of 10
a reporter from LCN (a continous news network) was on his way home when it collapsed. he was toatlly panicked when he spoke on TV!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:30 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2006, 12:00 PM #10 of 10
Yeah I was shocked to hear it too, I have been to Montreal many times, so it feels close to home. In a way I was not suprised that something finally gave way, when I enter Quebec city for the first time all I could see was a spagetti display of road brigdes tangled in each other, those bridges can't be very young.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Bridge Collapses in Laval near Montreal