Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Failble 2

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:17 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 07:17 AM #1 of 51
Failble 2

OK so some people got pissed off with Lionhead over Fable. I never got round to playing it so I didn't suffer the disappointment (if indeed it would have been since I know a few people that loved Fable). Ignoring all that though, I've been keeping an eye on Fable 2 and it's shaping up to be a really fun game. I've got enough confidence in the guys over at Lionhead that I've layed down a pre-order for the Collector's Edition of this bad boy:

And speaking of, they've announced recently what we'll be getting in said Collector's Edition:

Quote:
* Bonus DVD – Includes new 'Making-of Feature' with Peter Molyneux and the team at Lionhead Studios and concept art viewer
* Bonus In-Game Content (Requires LIVE account) – Includes "The Hall of the Dead" Dungeon, "The Wreckager" Legendary Cutlass Weapon and Otherworldly Bonus
* Collectible Hobbe figure with accessories – From the Qee Collection comes this one-of-a-kind Hobbe figure. Nasty, brutish, and short, he roams the countryside, preying on travelers and spiriting away the children of the unwary.
* 48-hour Xbox LIVE Gold Trial Card – With Xbox LIVE Gold, players can show off their individual hero by inviting friends into their unique version of Albion or they can visit their friends' Albion, and earn additional gold, experience and renown to take back into their own.
* Five printed Fate Cards – These five beautiful cards foretell the Hero's great destiny to journey across all of Albion, encountering deadly enemies and enigmatic allies. The path leads to a choice that will change the world forever.
One of the bits of 'otherworldly bonus' stuff looks to be some clothing, or a character with a rather familiar look:

So, who else is excited for this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:37 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 03:37 PM #2 of 51
I loved the first Fable. Didn't have an Xbox, so I played it on the PC. By the sheer variety they dumped into the gameplay for this one, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Not to mention the whole, joining a friend in their world or my own, which would also be unique to a certain degree. Another awesome factor about this is the customization. I heard there will be gender selection for your own hero this time.

I'm getting a 360 later on, but I doubt this Collector's Edition will be cheap. And I'd love to get one. ;__;

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:49 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 01:49 AM #3 of 51
I played it on the PC. By the sheer variety they dumped into the gameplay for this one, I can't wait to get my hands on it.
That's just it. A mile wide and an inch deep.

If this is anything like the first one, I'll be even more annoyed. The first was one of the largest letdowns EVER, with so many dropped balls, incomplete ideas, and things that just didn't have a point, that I'm hoping that even 5% of what's promised for this one actually, y'know, comes to fruition. Last time we got far less than that, so even such a small fraction would be an improvement.

Co-op could save it, if the rest of the game is at least a step above gutter trash. Here's hoping.

Bravo on the visual bonus though, that's pretty funny.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:50 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 03:50 PM #4 of 51
I can understand where you're coming from Skills as The Peter does have a tendency to let his excitement run away with him. Speaking to the guy I know at Lionhead he's been a lot more restrained this time round and it's shaping up to do what they've been saying it'll do. Of course you Molyneux will have said something or lead people to think something will be in there that isn't, but this is looking pretty good. The co-op for one looks pretty awesome. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed, that's for sure.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:33 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 11:33 AM #5 of 51
Definitely one of the reasons I've still got my 360. Glad the bonus material for the LE version isn't only some "making of" garbage; actually some pretty decent stuff in there. Kudos on the Halo armor get-up though.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:39 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 01:39 PM 1 #6 of 51
No, I agree, Omagnus. This IS looking better than the typical Molyneux crap, and it IS shaping up, at least, to be a far better looking product than it's predecessor. I've just been fooled too many times by Pete and the rest of Lionhead to really care anymore. I honestly haven't liked any of the things they've done at that studio. Hopefully this will change that.

Being an LE, I'll probably get it anyway, despite my better judgement (see: MGS4), but wether or not I like the game within will have to be seen.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Aug 8, 2008 at 02:54 PM.
DesertEase
Carob Nut

Member 5573

Level 5.90

Apr 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 06:27 PM #7 of 51
Getting day one for the medieval Master Chief. Plus, the game is looking pretty damn good with that awesome art style.

FELIPE NO
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:24 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 07:24 AM #8 of 51
For those who care, and a little insight into the sorts of things you'll be getting up to, here's the rumoured achievement list:

Spoiler:
The Paragon -15g
Reach 100% Good or Evil.

The New Hero -50g
Defeat your first great opponent.

The Whippersnapper -25g
Collect 5 gold pieces during the Hero's childhood

the Pooch Pamperer -5g
Play fetch with your dog.

The Archaeologist -5g
Dig up something your dog has discovered

The Dog trainer -5g
teach your dog a trick.

The persuader -5g
Convince a villager to give you a present

The Show-off -5g
Impress a villager with a perfect expression

The Romantic -10g
take a villager on a perfect date.You will need the right location and expression.

The spouse -10g
Marry a villager.

The Parent -10g
have a child.

The hunter -5g
Kill a sweet,innocent,fluffy bunny rabbit(remember,safety's off!)

The Gargoyle -25g
Find the gargoyles Legendary Treasure.

The Chicken kicker -5g
kick a chicken a respectable distance. As if kicking chickens was remotely respectable.

The Cliff Diver -5g
Cliff dive 500 feet.

The Workhorse -10g
Get a high enough chain while performing a job.

The Hero of Many names -5g
Change your heros title

The Teaser -5g
Get bandits to respond to expressions with fear,anger,mirth,and confusion. During combat!

The property magnate -10g
Sell a property for twice the price you paid for it.

The Rogue -5g
something undetected from a building while there are people nearby.

The Illustrated hero -5g
Tattoo every part of your hero's body.

The Executioner -10g
Sacrifice 10 people in the Temple of Shadows.

The Gambler -10g
Win 500 gold at a pub game in one sitting, having tried each game type at least once.

The Bigamist -10g
get married a second time, whilst still married to your first spouse.

The Swinger -5g
Take part in a orgy, responsibly

The Pied Piper -10g
Start a party where at least 5 villagers are dancing.

The Party Animal -10g
Get 15 villagers drunk in under three minutes

The menace to Society -5g
Commit an act of public indecency

The Black Knight -10g
Shoot the weapons from a hollow man's hands, blow off his head and then kill him for good!

The Duelist -10g
String together a full-speed chain attack

The highwayman -10g
hit 3 enemies with one shot.

The Archmage -10g
Kill 5 human enemies with one spell.

The Ruler of Albion -100g
Increase the value of your real estate holdings to over 2.5 million gold!

The Hoarder -25g
Collect every silver key.

The Goth -5g
Dye your hair black, wear an outfit made entirely out of black clothes, and wear some black makeup.

The Completionist -50g
Get all expressions, pet tricks, titles and abilities.

The Extremist -15g
Reach 100% purity or corruption.

The celebrity -50g
Reach 50,000 Renown.

The Artisan -10g
Succeed at one job to Level 5

The Dollcatcher -10g
Collect all the hero dolls.

The Muse -5g
Inspire the Bard to compose songs celebrating your great deeds.

The Companions -10g
Perform a perfect co-op expression.

The blood brother -10g
get a co-op combat bonus.

The Philanthropist -10g
Send a gift to an xbox live friend.

The Hero of strength -100g
Complete the Hero of Strength

The hero of Will -100g
Complete the Hero Of will.

The hero of Skill -100g
Complete the hero of Skill

The Sacrifice -25g
Choose "The needs of the many"

The Family -25g
Choose "The needs of the few"

The Egomaniac -25g
Choose "The needs of the one"

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:13 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 12:13 PM #9 of 51
I'll think I'm going to try to combine The Swinger, The menace to Society and The Parent. It should work out, somehow.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:13 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 01:13 PM #10 of 51
From that list it looks like the game is going to be less action rpg and more like the Sims.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the first game but it was a total dissapointment after reading all the stuff that was supposed to be in it. The way the pre-release interviews were you could be forgiven for thinking the game would have ended up like Oblivion only with even more customisation. As such, I have a horrible feeling they've spent all their time working on adding the Nintendog and making the people more realistic behaviour-wise and will have left the meat of the game as a very linear, thin paths through the forest hack and slash with different coloured versions of the same weapons effort, much like last time.

I'll probably pick it up anyway because once you got over the dissappointment, the first one was a good game. I won't be rushing out to get it though, I'll wait until everyone takes it back in rage and buy a second hand copy.

Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:38 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 10:38 PM #11 of 51
Don't hold your breath though, people might not take it back in rage. Apparently, OP kept emphasizing that he knows someone, who promised that the promises are kept for this game. The game is an action RPG, just that it's played from your character's cradle to grave. Hence the getting married and all that. Throwing in a dog to make fetch errands traveling less boring I suppose.

Just be grateful they didn't add a hygiene/potty gauge below your life bar.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:51 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 03:51 PM #12 of 51
Yeah, I know, it's just that all the developer diaries seemed pretty dog-centric and my only other experiences of having a pet dog in an rpg are Fallout (Works well, mainly because you can shoot him), A Bard's Tale (Works well, mainly because you don't have to do anything gay to make it work, it just follows you around and bites things) and FFVIII (Utterly pointless). I liked the combat and dungeony bits of Fable, even if it was far too easy to constantly retreat and cast spells/shoot arrows and win every fight whereas the social interaction crap felt really tagged on and was largely pointless for me. I'm just concerned that the desperation to add a Nintendog as good as Nintendogs and social interaction that is actually relevant will have come at the expense of actually making your character customisable, designing some areas that aren't long corridors and sorting out the ageing thing so you don't spend the majority of the game as a 70 year old. A bit of depth to the story wouldn't hurt this time out and some weapons that were actually different to each other would be nice too. Let's be honest, the benchmark for exploring, action games with a bit of social interaction now is GTAIV which is fuck of a target.

Also I can guarantee there'll be a second hand copy in my local GAME store before the week is out. There seem to be couple of gamerpoint whores in town who buy everything on day one, rape out the easy achievements and bring it back a couple of days later. Also the staff copy gets sold after a week of all new games.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:00 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 03:00 PM #13 of 51
Apparently, OP kept emphasizing that he knows someone, who promised that the promises are kept for this game.
I do know someone. A friend of mine from university is employed at Lionhead studios and has been working there for the last 5 or so years. In fact, he appeared briefly in the most recent developer diary video. I speak to him from time to time, and when we've discussed Fable 2 the stuff he tells me sounds very promising, and of course he's also had the chance to play it. I don't think he's working directly on the Fable 2 project* since he provides audio programming across all their tech (I believe), so he should be a little more impartial.

Basically I trust him not to bullshit too much about stuff and be fairly honest, and he says it's looking on course to do what they said it will. It could all be proven to be false hope, but I've got my fingers crossed and I have faith that it's going to turn out alright.

* Actually, one of his main claims to fame on Fable 2 is a video he showed me of various people throwing and shoving him into the wall and floors, which was to be used as reference for the context sensitive combat.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:11 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 11:11 PM #14 of 51
Don't get me wrong, I didn't doubt the truth in your words even for a minute. But I just hope that they don't scrap things out last-second, or like Shin said, biggest feature being the dog as a pet. Which is quite pointless if that's all there is, in an action RPG.

Nevertheless, I'll be getting this game no matter how good or bad it will be. I really liked the first game, especially since I didn't even know about what they promised back then. Nothing was let down for me. I'm just hoping for the best for this one.

And yeah, I really hope they touched up a little on the aging process among other things. Kinda retarded to play the entire game as a 70-year old folk.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:19 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 04:19 PM #15 of 51
Just like Skills said, I'm always careful to restrain my enthusiasm for anything Molyneux is involved in. He's a brilliant ideas man, but the implementation of those ideas tends to fall short of what he originally promised.

FELIPE NO
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:33 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 07:33 PM #16 of 51
And yeah, I really hope they touched up a little on the aging process among other things. Kinda retarded to play the entire game as a 70-year old folk.
Heh, yeah. After having exploited some potions, the shield magic and the Hobb's Cave, I ended up with this old fart with scars all over. Not the ideal hero, but then again... Perhaps Hideo Kojima has made it fashionable to have a very senior hero!

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2008, 02:59 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2008, 02:59 AM #17 of 51
Am I going to be able to play the Pub games in the Arcade title in the pubs in the real game? without owning the arcade game that is.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:11 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2008, 11:11 AM #18 of 51
Am I going to be able to play the Pub games in the Arcade title in the pubs in the real game? without owning the arcade game that is.
I thought that was the idea, yes, though I could be wrong there.

Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:31 PM #19 of 51
I played the first fable game and I didn't really like it nor did I hate it. It was fun, but it was lacking a lot of features you could put in a game like this, it was way too short with an obvious and short storyline. I hope Fable 2 will be better, I don't expect the storyline to be any better but I'm hoping the gameplay will be better.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:44 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2008, 01:44 PM #20 of 51
Been a little while since the last update, and I thought I'd post a link to this rather interesting interview with The Peter:

Joystiq Interview: Peter Molyneux on Fable 2, Too Human, and Lionhead's 'shocking' next game - Joystiq

Joystiq also have a hands on up, which is worth taking a gander at if you're interested in this game:

Three hours with the finished Fable 2 - Joystiq

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:12 AM Local time: Sep 17, 2008, 02:12 PM #21 of 51
Well the review makes it look promising enough although I fear that outside the main story arc there's going to be a lot of GTA:IV style fetching and carrying. So far as the characterisation and the whole good or evil thing goes, obviously one can't pass judgement without playing but it does all sound a bit too black or white to me. In my opinion, KOTOR 2 is one of the best games ever in terms of moral decisions. It really explores the concepts of light and dark side and very few of the important decisions you make are clear cut good or evil (In fact none of them are really, they avoided good or evil cliches pretty much entirely). One wonders if the Fable development team have taken time to play games like KOTOR or Fallout before making this or if Pete's arrogance has led to them just running into development head-first.

This is probably the kind of thing I'll pick up after a couple of months. The multiplayer appeals to some extent but my experience of things like GTA and Burnout onine is that once you make something free roaming, nobody ever plays the actual game any more, they just run in circles chasing each other.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2008, 02:21 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2008, 07:21 AM #22 of 51
Seems online co-op from day 1 is happening:

Quote:
Remember a couple of days ago (or was it a week) where on a blog it was mentioned that Fable II would be shipping 'without' Online Co-op? And remember we said we were busting our balls to get it ready in time for a 'Day One' release? Well - news folks! It looks like we've done it...for all of you who are connected to Xbox Live, when starting up your copy of Fable II (on 21st October in USA, 24th October in Europe and 18th December in Japan). So all of you getting upset and all, you wouldn't even have noticed... Sort of. Well done to the team.

Taken into account we don't fail certification!
[ source ]

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2008, 06:24 AM #23 of 51
Did anyone else pre-order the limited edition from Ebgames? I just checked the status of my pre-order and it says back-ordered. I want to know if this is common before I start bitching.

How ya doing, buddy?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:34 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2008, 01:34 PM #24 of 51
If anyone plans to get this, there's free in-game stuff available if you trawl through the micro-site apparently. What it is I couldn't tell you though and the way the email was worded suggests to me you can pick it up in-game anyway. Given that I ordered Last Remnant the other day I won't be getting this for a while but I might just play through the micro-site anyway.

Oh dear God. If the voice actors they used for the microsite are the same as were used for the full game then this is going to be a fully Mary Poppins interpretation of English accents. I'm not sure if I can take ten minutes of this, let alone several hours.

OK so I played through the site. Essentially you watch a short play on screen which presents you with about four very obviously good or evil choices which affect the story. I took the evil route throughout and now when I buy Fable 2 I'll have a Nasty Expression Book and a Vial of Apocalyptic Pink Dye waiting for me in the game now apparently. You can replay it to get different stuff if you want but you only get one prize in total.

The voice acting is uniformly terrible but that could just be the people making the site hiring idiots so is no concrete indication of the final game. Also, the moral choices are really clear cut so that doesn't bode well for any complexity or subtlety in the final game but again, I'm making assumptions based on a dumb promotional website. Worth five minutes of your life for the free stuff though I guess.

Last edited by Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss; Oct 21, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:15 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2008, 01:15 PM #25 of 51
Oh dear God. If the voice actors they used for the microsite are the same as were used for the full game then this is going to be a fully Mary Poppins interpretation of English accents. I'm not sure if I can take ten minutes of this, let alone several hours.
Unlikely. The voice cast for Fable 2 (the proper game) includes the likes of Stephen Fry, Zoe Wannamaker, Julia Swahala (however you spell their names), who all appeared in one of the more recent dev diaries. I'm pretty sure they've got a decent British voice cast together for this.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Failble 2