Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Mortal Kombat 8 - GET OVER HERE!

Kanzaki
Chocobo

Member 16476

Level 9.00

Dec 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:27 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 10:27 PM #76 of 91
As long as MK is Ed Boon's baby and he doesn't quite grasp what makes for a good fighting game, it's never gonna be good.

And the last few MK games still sold well enough to continue the illusion it was actually worth something as a game.
And it is something they fail to understand, no one sees MK as a good game , at least on the fight mechanics department, and everyone wants MK for the blood and gory moves. Just check past MKs, many characters share punches, kicks (And this one is not different) and only special moves are different, some moves are broken and can be spammed, and it is not even fluid animations/moves.

What's with the stop on air while attacking, ok, it's to open new combo possibilities, and I like that, but it feels weird.

I like this MK, cause I was never too fond of the blood and gore excess, but I guess that "real" fans are disappointed cause in the end it has the same problems all the other MK had.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 07:50 AM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 12:50 PM #77 of 91
Its the principle of censoring a product for one region while keeping everything intact in another.
If you're going to stand up against this principle you better be ready to not play a shit-ton of game. If you go have a read around you'll find games get censored in various territories all the damn time, so more often than not a game will be released somewhere with elements censored. So have fun sticking up for that principle.

Unless, of course, it's only a principle you care about if it's affecting you; because there's some solid moral high-ground to be standing on.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 08:01 AM #78 of 91
I can understand where DN is coming from because if you pay for the game, you wanna get the full value of what you pay for or at least the same gameplay that everyone else in the world does.

I feel that it's unfair that alot of games that are here in the states are censored compared to their European/Japanese counterparts but it won't stop me from getting the game if it's a good game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 05:43 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 03:43 PM #79 of 91
Unless, of course, it's only a principle you care about if it's affecting you; because there's some solid moral high-ground to be standing on.
Well, I was kind of upset when Square Enix gave Japan + Europe the International version for FFX, but what could I do? The game had already been released here, and it was a case of having extra stuff added, instead of stuff removed, which upset me, but it wasn't quite the same thing. Xenosaga had the same problem. It was only for a few minor scenes that I am aware of, and it didn't affect gameplay; it was only a story cut-scene so I could watch it on youtube or something.

This time though, I can actually object to a game that IS getting a release here that has content removed for the sake of a lower rating, and it has content that is (superficially) a part of the gameplay, namely the fatalities. I don't have the patience or energy to stand up for EVERY SINGLE example of censorship, but when its this obvious, I gotta say something. *Shrug*

FELIPE NO
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:13 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 03:13 AM #80 of 91
Just check past MKs, many characters share punches, kicks (And this one is not different) and only special moves are different, some moves are broken and can be spammed, and it is not even fluid animations/moves.
If you mean past MK games as in MK1-2-3, those were actually very good. Gameplay wise too - remember, the old MK games invented juggling.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:24 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 07:24 PM #81 of 91
MK2 was good. MK1 and MK3 were shit. Ultimate MK3 was good... I think that about does it.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:06 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 09:06 AM #82 of 91
I don't have the patience or energy to stand up for EVERY SINGLE example of censorship, but when its this obvious, I gotta say something. *Shrug*
No, what you mean is when it obviously affects you then you've got to say something. Don't talk about standing up for a principle when it's nothing but a petty complaint because you are the one losing out this time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:08 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 03:08 AM #83 of 91
No, what you mean is when it obviously affects you then you've got to say something. Don't talk about standing up for a principle when it's nothing but a petty complaint because you are the one losing out this time.
I guess I chose the wrong words, because by "obvious", I mean the censorship wasn't for a cult-release game or for a game that wasn't released in America in the first place. It was for a... for lack of a more specific wording, MKvsDC has a large distribution and is well advertised, so the censorship was easy to spot.

*sigh* Look, I don't feel like arguing over semantics. If by objecting to the censorship it means that I have an interest in the game then so be it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:34 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 12:34 PM #84 of 91
Well, I was kind of upset when Square Enix gave Japan + Europe the International version for FFX
I was kinda upset that we had to wait six months longer than the US for the game to be released so it's swings and roundabouts with an example like that.

If you don't like the censorship you can always import a foreign version. Until America gets over this weird thing you have where an 18 rated (Or M is it over there?) product must for some reason be the spawn of satan, you're always going to produce kiddie-centric games (And movies too, I can't remember the last time I saw an American film that got an 18 rating over here). In the UK that stigma simply doesn't exist, if anything an 18 rated game will sell much better than a 15 because all the kids want to play it (And despite our BBFC ratings being legally binding rather than your pointless voluntary ESRB things, shops will still sell 18 rated stuff to kids).

We do have the problem of the German government censoring basically everything though which has occasionally affected pan-European products. In Soul Blade, Li-Long had a three point staff instead of nunchucks because of the Germans and the G-Con accessories had to be blue with a bright orange end because the Germans were worried people might try to commit armed robbery with them.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:42 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 11:42 AM #85 of 91
*sigh* Look, I don't feel like arguing over semantics. If by objecting to the censorship it means that I have an interest in the game then so be it.
No, wrong. We're not arguing over semantics in the slightest, I'm arguing that you're trying to claim some moral high-ground whilst actually only caring because you're personally affected.

I dislike censorship, and agree that it is annoying when a game you were intending to buy, or have bought, has stuff censored. However, it's part of life and you deal with it an move on. You said "I'm not getting this game because it's censored", which is fair enough. Rotor called you on the bullshit of that statement, and to try and sound like some sort of hero you came back with "Its the principle of censoring a product for one region while keeping everything intact in another." If that were the case, if you truly believe in taking a stand and not purchasing games on that principle then, as I said, you'd better be not buying other games that are censored in other territories. It's about the principle right? No, it's not, what it is actually about is that you, you personally, are a victim of this censorship and it has annoyed you. Fair enough, that's a valid stand point (though I agree with Rotor, somewhat silly), but don't come in here making grand statements about principles when it has nothing to do with principles and everything to do with selfish reasoning.

If you think we're still arguing semantics then I suggest you find a dictionary and start looking up some shit.

I was speaking idiomatically.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:58 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 02:58 PM #86 of 91
If you don't like the censorship you can always import a foreign version. Until America gets over this weird thing you have where an 18 rated (Or M is it over there?) product must for some reason be the spawn of satan, you're always going to produce kiddie-centric games (And movies too, I can't remember the last time I saw an American film that got an 18 rating over here).
The thing is, M ratings are much closer to 15. An equal of the 18 rating in games would be the AO, and every single publisher balks at those because Walmart won't sell them. As hilarious as that is. Can you imagine if 18 rated movies in the UK were suddenly not sold?

As for the censoring thing, surprised to hear we're getting uncensored versions. I didn't read the news link, did it mean the whole game is unedited or just Joker's fatality?

As for the censoring itself, I've seen the edited fatalities and they mostly apply to when a character shoots with a gun. The camera focuses on the shooter and they shoot offscreen. A little lame, but it's more than clear what happens. It's apparently fine to show a playing card lodge itself in someone's forehead, but not ok to show a gunshot hit.

I suppose they've removed some additional gore from some of the more visible fatalities, but nothing really stood out. I imagine there's no difference in the European release.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:16 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 01:16 PM #87 of 91
The thing is, M ratings are much closer to 15. An equal of the 18 rating in games would be the AO, and every single publisher balks at those because Walmart won't sell them. As hilarious as that is. Can you imagine if 18 rated movies in the UK were suddenly not sold?
The ASDA in Brighton (Owned by Walmart) was having a sale of horror films for Halloween, most of which were 18's. If memory serves there was a big old banner out front proclaiming the sale. I'm pretty sure I bought my copy of Vice City from an ASDA too, did Walmart not stock that in America? I guess it's a cultural thing though, Americans are rather prudish as a collective.

Quote:
It's apparently fine to show a playing card lodge itself in someone's forehead, but not ok to show a gunshot hit.
Have you ever tried to kill someone with a playing card though? Even if you hit them square in the eye it'd probably do no more than sting briefly.

I have to say I agree with your surprise at Europe getting the uncut version though.

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:21 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2008, 05:21 AM #88 of 91
Jesus. Okay fine: I am not getting the game because the censorship annoyed me. Satisfied? I still think that there's a moral high-ground that should be taken by not supporting this popular release in the US for the above stated reasons IN ADDITION to me not buying the game since the censorship personally annoyed me.

However, since apparently I can't do that on the internet, have multiple reasons for not buying something, fuck it. I'm done.

--edit--
But hey, if you like the game and are going to get it, more power to you.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Dark Nation; Nov 25, 2008 at 08:50 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Mortal Kombat 8 - GET OVER HERE!