Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Jump! Superstars

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:39 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 07:39 PM #1 of 16
Jump! Superstars

Originally Posted by Siliconera
Jump Superstars had anime otaku on the edge of their seats since Nintendo announced the title. There’s good reason for it, since the game features characters from a myriad number of Shounen Jump manga series. Chances are your favorite character is probably in the game. From the shores of One Piece with Luffy and crew to the tennis courts where Ryoma from Prince of Tennis trains Jump Superstars has the widest selection of anime characters ever. Out of the Dragon Ball universe there is Goku, Vegtia, Gotenks, Bulma and Trunks. Straight from Konhoa are Nartuo, Sasuke, Shikamaru, Kakashi and Rock Lee. Yugi takes a break from the cards to jump in along with Bobobo. Sword wielders Ichigo (Bleach), Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin) and Zoro (One Piece) are ready for battle. Even sports stars like Amakuni Saruno (Mr. Full Swing) and Hanamichi (Slam Dunk) step in the ring. We could go and spoil every single star in the game, but we think you get the idea of how encompassing Jump Superstars is.

Even with an all star cast, battles between spirit detective Yusuke and Shaman King’s star Yoh would get boring if the gameplay didn’t hold it’s ground. Instead of calling in Eighting, who’s known for developing anime fighter games, Nintendo partnered up with Ganbarion who developed some of the One Piece Fighting games. Together, Nintendo and Ganbarion took the Super Smash Brothers formula and scaled it down for the DS. You’ll fight on a 2D battlefield with up to four other characters on screen at any time. The stages layouts aren’t as large or unique as they are in Smash Brothers. All of them have a few platforms to jump on with paper walls that can be broken for ring outs. Unlike Smash Brothers you don’t have to throw characters out of the arena to win, dwindling down their health also scores players points.

Battles in Jump Superstars are intense. A few hits by a well timed combo will drain your health and your character’s color. Players are encouraged to block, do quick one button counters and even switch characters out of battle. On the touch screen is a manga styled menu, that lets you replace the character you’re controlling by pressing on another character’s portrait. Since each character has their own life bar, switching your team in and out is an essential strategy. The same menu also lets you call in an ally to attack and even recover your life. Whether a character can become a playable character or a support ally depends on how many blocks of koma they use.

Unlike any other fighting game before it Jump Superstars has players build a deck of animation frames called koma. The entire rectangular grid can have up to twenty spaces of koma, but not all koma are the same size. Some are one square and others take up seven. The size of the koma ultimately determines what a character will do in battle. If you have just a character’s portrait, they will play the role of boosting you in battle. These are things like healing, turning you invisible for a second or increasing your speed. If you have a two or three frame koma you’ll be able to call in that character to do a super attack. For instance if you use a partner koma with Sakura, she will jump in and throw shiruken in all directions when you tap her on screen koma. Koma that are between four to seven in size let you call that character directly into battle. The size of the koma does vary the "strength" a character has in battle, each different koma size lets you use different special attacks. Also, the more koma a character takes up the more life they have.

The koma system gives players lots of options, but it’s not the easiest thing in the world to use. It wouldn’t be a problem if you just had to set up your deck, but you actually have to put each koma together before you can use them. You start out with two pieces, a character koma and a serif koma, essentially a blank manga panel. To put together a useable koma you need to drag the character koma into the blank manga panel. If you select combination, the koma will get colored in and you can use it in your deck. Sounds simple enough, but with so many different characters and hundreds of blank manga panels there’s a lot of combinations to go through. Often the blank koma have hints, in Japanese of course, like character quotes. However, unless you’re familiar with that series you just wont know where a character will go. This forces players to resort to a FAQ for the easy way out or the arduous task of trial and error. Nintendo does give players another option, pre-set koma decks. If you just find the whole system to irritating or just want a quick fight you can select some of the designed decks for the game. Be aware though that you will be missing a lot of the game, dream combos and even the chance to play as some characters if you don’t build a deck.

Now that you have your deck ready, you can jump in and battle. Pressing "A" lets you jump, "B" does a light attack and "Y" does a heavy attack. If you want to defend you can press "L" or "R" to block, but beware of guard breaking attacks. The system is pretty balanced with a lot to learn about stringing together your combos. You can do a basic combo by starting out with a couple of light attacks and finish with a heavy blow. If you want to get a little more technical you can end with a super attack, like Goku’s kamehameha blast or Kakashi’s chidori. You can also set up a dream combo, which brings together all your battle characters for one ultimate attack. This can lead to some crazy combinations like Yugi summoning the black magician while Naruto is doing his sexy no jutsu. Or even more insane four characters unleashing super attacks in a row. One final special move you can do is a combination attack by having a set koma with two characters. This lets you make all new attacks like Double Final Flash when you put Vegita and Don Patchi together.

Fighting isn’t the only way to win a round. Other than beating down every other anime character in a blaze of glory there are other rule sets to follow. Some matches have you compete to pick up power coins, that are dropped when you smash barrels. Then there are some matches where you compete to see who can break ten barrels the fastest. The strangest challenge has you against the computer fighting to see who can kick a treasure chest the most. You’ll visit all of these challenges in the single player J-adventure mode.

One of the biggest challenges fighting games face is making the game entertaining as a single player experience. Handheld games suffer more since there is no single set up to play with a friend, you’re going to need two systems and maybe two games just for a single fight. To make Jump Superstars last longer there is an entire world to explore in the J-adventure. This takes you across four different worlds in search of battles and more importantly koma. Beating each mission earns you new koma plus the ability to travel further in the Jump Superstars universe to get more missions. Since each mission has multiple objectives and multiple koma pieces, there is incentive to replay stages.

Even with good computer AI and the chance to set up all of those crossover battles, you’ll want to play with a friend. Jump Superstars gives you two ways of doing this. If your buddy hasn’t bought a copy of Jump Superstars yet you can let them download the versus mode for instant playability. Although, they can only use the koma you’ve unlocked. If you and a friend each have your own copy of the game you wont have to count on a single player to unlock all of the koma. Versus mode is really where the game is at. When you have four players in a match Jump Superstars rules, but you really have to ask yourself how often is that going to happen. The single game download gives people a chance to find people to play with, but it’s no replacement for online play.

I'm seriously considering getting this game. I've heard mixed reviews due to the lack of multiplayer, but I'm a fan of singleplayer SSBM. Although I'm not one for cliches (or anime whatsoever, for that matter), this looks promising.

Unfortunately the chances of this game coming out of japan are extremely low due to copyright issues with the characters. Different companies have the import rights to games based on the different manga series, making it hard to license all of them.

Regardless of this fact, the game's still import friendly. What fighting game exists that isn't? The cluster of anime characters is interesting, if only for a select few I'd use, such as Bobo-bobobo, Roronoa Zoro, Train Hearnet and Taki Suzuna. Especially Taki Suzuna, from Eyeshield 21, a japanese take on american football. There's a japanese football game in Eyeshield 21's name where you use the touchscreen only, but that's another story.

In total there's 160 characters with 34 battle characters, 47 support characters, 76 help characters, and 3 special koma characters. I'd probably never get through the entire 160, but the variety in this game is huge.

Owners of this game, speak up. I'd like to know what your impressions of this game are.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 02:03 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 11:03 PM #2 of 16
The game has some power balance problems, some characters are so overpowered that you can come out of stages unharmed... nevertheless, it is fun to play and it is indeed one of the good fighting games on DS.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 02:15 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 12:15 AM #3 of 16
I've had it for a few months. It's really fun, but honestly, I haven't put too much time to it. It wasn't as enticing as I hoped as I kind of over-hyped it up myself. Now with the recent onslaught of DS games, this game's been pushed further down the line of games to play. It is, however, the only fighting game on the DS I enjoy/know of... (don't say DBZ).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 02:27 AM #4 of 16
Hm... damn this game... it never reached North America because of gay lience thingy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 02:45 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 06:45 PM #5 of 16
Well, to compare it to Smash Brothers would make you disappointed in this game...

If you can get past the language barrier and love fightings more than I, then Jump is one of the better games you'll invest in for your DS. Ouendan stays unbeaten for both normal and import games, though.

The sheer amount of characters and WERID ASS cameos are the elements that make this game great, somewhat similar to Kingdom Hearts' drawcard (Disney characters mixed with SquareEnix characters!!).

Most amazing jew boots
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:13 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 10:13 PM #6 of 16
I'm assuming there's difficulty levels in this, right? Because if it's just straight out plain unbalanced, then it really isn't going to be worth importing at all. I'd like a portable Smash Bros, but the "portable" aspect of it is irrelevant. This looks appealing because of the absurd amount of characters available, along with the combos and levels that I've seen.

...but there's no real point if I'm not going to play the game a week after I've purchased it. I'm not made of money. The problem here is that it'll never be released into america due to all of the different characters being owned by specific companies in america, so it's really a one-off kind of thing.

I don't want to miss out on the opportunity of buying this game, but I don't want to make the mistake of buying something I'm not going to get value for money out of. The amount of characters is absurd, and I'm curious to know if the characters are very developed, or whether they only have a couple of moves each.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Elixir; Apr 15, 2006 at 04:16 AM.
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 02:30 PM #7 of 16
I have my own copy and I unlocked all of the characters in about two and a half weeks after starting. The actual fighting is more like a standard 2D brawler, so there isn't much depth but you do have to keep in mind certain things like recovering from a double or triple jump will take longer than just one jump. After you unlock all the komas the replay value is almost gone unless you have a friend with a copy to do any multiplayer battles. You can do VS. Computer matches but even on the hardest difficulty setting it's still kinda easy because the AI still runs at you while you ready your special move but they can be kinda tricky if you mess up in anyway. I can only advise getting this only if you have a friend who has it or will get it because the fun will last almost forever if you have a friend to fight with.

FELIPE NO
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 09:47 PM #8 of 16
Yeah, I agree. This game is excellent IF you know at least one other person who has it. It really shines in multiplayer. You can play the game multiplayer with a single cart, but you can't use your own decks then, and that's not really all that fun.

The single player part of the game IS fun and there are excellent GameFAQs that allow you to play the game even if you don't know Japanese (Koma unlocking guide (JIS), Mission translation guide). But it's quite easy, and for the long-term enjoyment, a friend to challenge is almost mandatory.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 09:11 AM #9 of 16
Well, I definitely know for a fact that I don't have anyone with a cartridge of this, or any interest in this game, but I know someone with a DS. So yeah, basically single cart is the only option I'll have if I decide to import this, and I can't even guarantee I'll be using single cart with the person I know who owns the DS.

It really isn't sounding that promising now. If there isn't any replay value then it's pretty much a useless SSBM attempt. The language barrier isn't really the concern here, but it sounds like the rest of the game is.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:52 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 05:52 AM #10 of 16
w00t! Fans are attempting to translate Jump! Superstars into English, probably because a release outside Japan is most unlikely to happen. They aren't far yet but give it some time and we can finally understand the Japanese blabber

More screens here

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:00 PM #11 of 16
impressive.. but i dont really have mucht o say about it. I completed all missions.. it was fun but im not playing it that much like i used to. i only wish the music was alot better.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:03 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:03 AM #12 of 16
How exactlywould the translation work? Do you have to download something, or they have to hack into the actual cart or something? I wasn't really considering importing this game, but this may change my mind.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:51 AM #13 of 16
You'd have to download the game and burn it to a flash card after patching the rom, or use the rom in a non-existant DS emulator. Basically, it would really only benefit evil pirates like myself atm.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:58 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:58 AM #14 of 16
Oh, that wouldn't help me then. I'm not that willing to play it in English.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:09 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 08:09 PM #15 of 16
Originally Posted by Forsety
You'd have to download the game and burn it to a flash card after patching the rom, or use the rom in a non-existant DS emulator. Basically, it would really only benefit evil pirates like myself atm.
Uh, you can't burn stuff to flash cartridges. I didn't have one very long, but from what I understood it basically consisted of transferring the files via a program, USB cable from your PC to our GBA, and some time. It all sounds very complicated to someone who doesn't have the first idea about flash carts or how they work.

I've decided not to buy this, simply because the replay value just isn't there. I guess I'll have to wait awhile before a proper SSBM game and/or multiplayer brawler clone comes to the DS.

FELIPE NO
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:16 AM #16 of 16
You burn/write/"flash" them to the cart and load it through a passme/passkey device. It's not as complicated as it comes across at first glance... but it is a little more difficult than GBA flashing. Of course I didn't mean burn with nero or anything, but with the correct hardware and software that comes with the cart. I figured this was a given to anyone who owns one already.

gbatemp.net has some decent tutorials on how to use them correctly and reviews on which cards are worth your time and which are simply expensive piles of trash.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Forsety; Apr 23, 2006 at 02:18 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Jump! Superstars