Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Roomba Shenanigans - Vacuum Robot Hacking Adventures!

Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:09 AM #1 of 5
Talking Roomba Shenanigans - Vacuum Robot Hacking Adventures!

Hey guys I'm sure you guys have heard of the Roomba before. That small vacuum robot. Yeah that thing.

Well I was flipping through Technology Review and I saw kind of crazy stuff people were doing with this thing. Apparantly it's an amatuer robot fanatics dream come true. People are adding bluetooth and wifi and cameras and all kinds of fun stuff to it. Some people are even using it as a remote control tank to recreate games like Frogger and Pac-Man. How cool is that?

Anyway, here's a cool snippet of the article:
Originally Posted by Technology Review May/June 2006 pg 33
How It's Been Hacked
The Roomba's low price and SCI port have made it a tempting entry-level platform for robotics experiments. Sites such as roombareview.com and roomba.pbwiki.com have sprung up, where enthusiasts can trade tips on hacks such as cobbling together Bluetooth or Wi-Fi remote controls out of spare parts. One Bluetooth-enabled Roomba was given a green fabric pelt and was used in a real-life Frogger game at the SXSW Interactive conference in Austin, TX, this year (www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2006/03/realfrogger_tec.html), and ThingM's Tod E. Kurt is collaborating on a live-action Pac-Man re-creation, with reprogrammed Roombas dressed up as Pac-Man and ghosts, navigating a maze and vacuuming up tissue paper dots. RoombaNet (people.csail.mit.edu/bpadams/roomba), created as part of a PhD thesis, is a tiny computer that rides on the robot and can be used to control it wirelessly. And if you want to see a Roomba in action www.vacuumcleanerlive.com has hooked a spycam to a Roomba for a first-person (first-robot?) streaming video.
All and all I think this kicks ass. What do you guys think? =D

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:16 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 01:16 AM #2 of 5
That Pac-Man idea is basically the greatest thing anyone has ever thought of. Ever. I wish my vacuum cleaner was this cool.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
kilfrg7864
Syklis Green

Member 1005

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:30 AM #3 of 5
thats friggen awesome. Nutitn better than sneding a small vaccum ove a buzy freeway ^^

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:57 PM #4 of 5
Didn't the Japanese just make a female robot? We seem to be a little behind.

Most amazing jew boots
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:43 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 05:43 PM #5 of 5
Originally Posted by Magic
Didn't the Japanese just make a female robot? We seem to be a little behind.
Yeah, it could speak and move and had super-realistic skin. It was like a persocom, only without the 'com. The roomba has nothing on her.

But still, Pac-Man with a roomba? Friggin' awesome.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement > Roomba Shenanigans - Vacuum Robot Hacking Adventures!