Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Borat (The Movie)

Elrasiel
Take A Last Stand - X3

Member 4186

Level 13.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 01:51 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 10:51 AM #1 of 66
Thumbs up Borat (The Movie)

You can now read my Review about this movie HERE.

Heres a short describtion: Sacha Baron Cohen - star of HBO’s hit comedy “Da Ali G Show,” takes his outrageous Kazakstani reporter character Borat to the big screen. In this hilariously offensive movie, Borat travels from his primitive home in Kazakhstan to the U.S. to make a documentary. On his cross-country road-trip, Borat meets real people in real situations.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Elrasiel; Nov 10, 2006 at 05:26 AM.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:35 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 02:05 PM #2 of 66
I'm pretty sure this will become the movie of the year.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:40 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 07:40 PM #3 of 66
It's even getting good review from the critics. I'm damn excited to see my favorite tennis playing, disco dance Kazakh in theaters.

How ya doing, buddy?
cento
Carob Nut

Member 14167

Level 4.31

Oct 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:52 PM #4 of 66
This movie looks good... I don't know why but whenever I see the part where he is trying to learn how to use a "not" joke, I can't stop laughing... I can't wait to see it

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.
-Bender, Futurama
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:01 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 11:01 PM #5 of 66
For me, I am a little scared of it. I find it has a lot of dry humor. I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but not as much as I would think. Maybe I will give it a try some time in the future.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 11:46 PM #6 of 66
I have not even seen upon this movie film, and yet still I encourage watching.

Just the fact that Kazakhstan got paranoid about it is worth $6.50

How ya doing, buddy?
Twikite

Member 331

Level 5.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:41 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 12:41 AM #7 of 66
Just today I noticed an outdated poster for a free Borat screening on campus.

How the hell did I miss that?

Regardless, this movie looks like it's gonna be great.

FELIPE NO
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 03:21 AM #8 of 66
And now's one of those times I will be glad I work at a movie theater and get to see movies for free. I can't wait to see this movie. The humor looks to be right up my alley, and the previews have been hilarious.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 08:56 AM #9 of 66
I plan to see this one, too. I've seen previews as far back as last winter and I've wanted to see it since.

I can't help but to feel embarassed for "Borat" the entire time, though. He's got balls. Which makes this HILARIOUS. I would pay money to see a more sophicated and political version of Jackass, sure.

Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 09:37 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 03:37 PM #10 of 66
What's it about? Heard a lot about how it's gonna be great, not a lot on what it's about.

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:10 AM Local time: Oct 26, 2006, 01:40 AM #11 of 66
Please change the title of the thread to Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan..

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 05:32 PM #12 of 66
Is Borat/Ali G/Sacha doing really well in the States then? We haven't seen hime round our parts for a while now although we've all heard of the film....which I'll be going to see of course.

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:46 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 09:46 AM #13 of 66
His show over here has more of a cult following. His Ali G character was more popular both overseas and in the States, but he still wasn't as widely known (in the States at least). This worked in Sacha's favor, since he was better able to infiltrate unsuspecting politicians and civilians under his numerous guises.

By now, both Ali G and Borat are screwed. I don't think there's anyway for him to continue using those characters without getting caught. Fortunately Bruno is still around for him to tinker with, as well as whatever new characters he might be able to conjure up.

Elrasiel
Take A Last Stand - X3

Member 4186

Level 13.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:52 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 03:52 PM #14 of 66
lol He already has planes in case the movie fails like selling his kids. Read HERE for more!:biggrin:

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Elrasiel; Oct 27, 2006 at 02:41 AM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:54 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 03:54 PM #15 of 66
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit
Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
(Larry Charles)

If you don't know who Sacha Baron Cohen is, you've probably at least heard of his most famous character, Ali G. "Da Ali G Show" was a comedy smash on the BBC and HBO. The schtick is basically Cohen as one of three characters who then intermingle via interviews and such with people who have no idea the characters are put-ons. One of the characters from the show was Borat Sagdiyev, a journalist from Kazakhstan who understands little of the Western world. No matter how absurd or inappropriate the remark, the people not in on the gag usually treat it as a mild misunderstanding born of cultural differences. The Borat movie doesn't really expand on that premise, which after the dull waste that was Ali G Indahouse is a relief. The plot of the Borat movie, such as it is, simply finds Borat traveling across America, ostensibly for his government. But that doesn't really matter. The joy and brilliance of Cohen is winding him up and letting him go. His broken english, complete lack of basic social skills coupled with his natural prejudices against Jews and women make for awkwardness no matter who he comes in contact with. Borat starts with a glimpse of his small hometown in Kazakhstan before he lands in New York City. Going out with a hidden camera for something as simple as trying to kiss Manhattanites hello on the street is great, and when he lets a chicken loose on a subway car...well, it's just plain funny. Soon Borat is obsessed with meeting a beautiful star from television and the travelogue moves to Washington, D.C. and across the South on the way to California. Whether it's hotel staff, a driving instructor, a car salesman, a group of Feminists, politicians or random people on the street, Cohen never breaks character no matter how outraged, befuddled or bemused the unwitting marks are.

In general the unscripted moments are the best, and while Cohen is hysterical the real secret of success is the reactions of the people captured on film, from the host of the society dinner party who has to teach him basic rules of the toilet, the man backstage at the rodeo who agrees with Borat's solution to dealing with homosexuals or the reactions of the crowd of that small rodeo when he addresses them and tells them how he hopes George Bush drinks the blood of his terrorist enemies, it's the unnamed people on screen who make everything truly special. And while most of the smaller bits inbetween Borat interacting with the unsuspecting are less interesting, the single funniest bit and most sustained laughter comes from a wrestling match between Borat and his producer, Azamat (Ken Davitian), that starts in their hotel room and spills out into the hallway and elevator that really has to be seen to be believed.

The character of Borat works great on "Da Ali G Show" in seven and ten minute segments. The Borat movie runs just under 90 minutes, and even though that just barely qualifies as feature length is more than enough. Laughing at basically the same joke for that long is tiring. Not that I ever stopped laughing, there's just nothing else to do with the character that would be nearly as effective and certainly not as funny. Larry Charles, a "Seinfeld" writer turned producer/director on Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is the right man to manage the outrageousness and painful awkwardness, and though by its nature Borat becomes repetative, it continually delivers laughs. It's kind of "Candid Camera" mixed with Larry "Bud Melman from "Late Night with David Letterman" with a dash of "Jackass". The bottom line is, it's damn funny.
GRADE: B
The review of this guy from the Academy who posts on a board I frequent. Looks promising.

FELIPE NO
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:59 PM #16 of 66
I really wanna see this one. I love his sense of humor.

Last edited by *AkirA*; Oct 25, 2006 at 07:02 PM.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:45 AM #17 of 66
While waiting to see this movie, check this out:
How Borat hoaxed America

"Is funny!"

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:25 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 04:25 PM #18 of 66
I am taking a few days off work since I have so many vacation days saved up I have to use before '07, and went to the 12:30 showing of "Borat."

If you enjoyed the trailers and clips, you will really love this film. It's basically more of the same but in a longer format of course.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was inconsistent. Borat suffers a crisis of motivation about 2/3 through the film, and the film tries to get sentimental on us. It's not that this part of the film was "bad" per se but the tone in this segment was so different from the rest of the film that it really threw me out of whack and took me out of the movie. Really, that's my only criticism.

There is full frontal male nudity (and these dudes are hairy ), very explicit references to gay sex acts, some very scatalogical humor, and numerous things that would generally be considered offensive to "middle America." That being said, I didn't find that the film was "mean spirited" in its humor in any way. It was too silly and off-the-wall to be mean. Everyone in the theatre I was in loved it and laughed throughout the film, although I must say the crowd wasn't too large since it was around noon.

I'd rate it at 4.5/5 or A-. The film is a shoe-in for comedy of the year unless something better comes along, which is doubtful...

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:01 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 05:01 PM #19 of 66
Waa waa wee waa! I can't wait to see this movie - hopefully I'll be able to catch it tomorrow. Most of the reviews I've read seem to be really positive.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:28 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 12:28 AM #20 of 66
Been out tonight with some friends and saw this film. Fucking hilarious. Seriously. So wrong and yet so funny. It's not going to be to everyone's liking that's for sure, but if pure silliness is your thing then this should tickle you.

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 02:58 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 02:58 AM #21 of 66
Seriously, is it really that funny? I mean, I watched the first few minutes of the film and stuff on Youtube, but it didn't seem THAT funny. Does it get better towards the middle?

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 04:34 AM #22 of 66
I worked tonight (I work at a theater near the college campus here) and the theater was packed with people seeing the movie. I was hearing good things from the few people I heard anything from. Unfortunately, because I was working, I didn't get to see it. And I work the matinee shows Saturday too. Maybe Saturday night I can see it after work if I'm not too tired.

I've been holding myself over by looking at clips of Borat from Da Ali G Show on youtube. Those are some hilarious stuff, especially the wine drinking one. I hope the movie is more of the same.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 06:21 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 01:21 PM #23 of 66
Originally Posted by The Wise Vivi
Seriously, is it really that funny? I mean, I watched the first few minutes of the film and stuff on Youtube, but it didn't seem THAT funny. Does it get better towards the middle?
It's a guy making everyone look like a retard, how is that NOT funny?

no homo
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 04:57 PM #24 of 66
Saw it last night. One critic summed it up perfectly by calling it a "politically conscious Jackass."

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:39 AM #25 of 66
I just got back from the movie. There was a point where I had thought to myself "This is it, this is how I'm going to die....from laughing to death at this movie."

I'm sure those who've seen it already will know what scene I'm referring to, but I was praying to God that they would take a break from that insanity, at least just for a minute, so I could start breathing again. Eventually there was a break, but my sides are still hurting.

Funniest movie I've seen in a theater since Team America. Not a quiet person in the theater.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Borat (The Movie)