Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Marines cover up massacre in Iraq

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:59 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 04:59 PM #26 of 64
Originally Posted by Wesker
Since so many of you have made up your mind already heres a somewhat different opinion

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060531/...s_iraq_terraza
Dude, what a freakin' surprise; I would not have guessed...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:26 AM #27 of 64
I'm glad to finally see a different side of it.

That seems like an extremely plausible reasoning behind the incident. It saddens me that insurgents would use their own people as meat shields.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Returned
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 01:09 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 01:09 PM #28 of 64
"My son is no murderer!"

O rlly?

All of your posturing and justifications still don't change the fact that this case basically amounts to murder. These soldiers went berserk and took their aggressions out on whatever they could find. When they realized they killed a bunch of innocent people, they tried to cover it up.

We have the facts, and unless the Marines dispute them (which they haven't) you can piss in the wind and bury your head in the sand all you like. Call this a leftist agenda, whatever helps you sleep at night.

I'm starting to wonder why we even let you keep posting in the Palace. We haven't tolerated blind opposition to reason before, and there's no cause not to do so again.

If you're saying that we should wait to draw conclusions when the marines have completed their investigation, then that's fine, but when ballistics evidence isn't sought until after the bodies are in the ground, eyebrows get fucking raised.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 01:18 PM #29 of 64
Originally Posted by Bradylama
"
If you're saying that we should wait to draw conclusions when the marines have completed their investigation, then that's fine, but when ballistics evidence isn't sought until after the bodies are in the ground, eyebrows get fucking raised.
Thats what i am saying. The press and certain political figures have been calling these marines butchers for a long, time, long before any conclusions were reached. the bodies were in the ground long before any investigation was started so thats irrelevant.

As to the so called cover up. If the Marines engaged in a firefight and the insurgents used human shields etc, given the currwent climate, perhaps the commnders thought it best not to say these people were collateral damage, they'd get skewered then too wouldn't they.

As th whether or not you want to let me continue to post thats your decision. i haven't name called, trolled or attacked anybody. if you want to ban me for my opinions then so be it. Tolerance i see seems to only be a one way street. You call it a blind opposition to reason, i see it as taking a more cautious approach and listening to all sides involved.

Of course the administration would NEVER sacrifice a few marines in order to keep their agenda intact and molify their critics.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Wesker; Jun 2, 2006 at 01:23 PM.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 01:26 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 01:26 PM #30 of 64
"Why won't people let me voice my unreasonably insane opinions? DISCRIMINATION!"

Sure thing, Billy. Tons of dead civilians and maybe, maybe one dead combatant, and no investigation takes place. That's totally irrelevant. Yup. Just because the Marines waited to try and investigate the bodies when it basically amounts to desecrating the corpses for their loved ones doesn't mean anything at all.

Quote:
If the Marines engaged in a firefight and the insurgents used human shields etc, given the currwent climate, perhaps the commnders thought it best not to say these people were collateral damage, they'd get skewered then too wouldn't they.
But they weren't involved in a firefight. Ballistics evidence taken from the houses indicate that no shots were fired from the houses. This isn't a liberal media hype, it's a matter of public fucking record.

You're denying truth because of its inconvenience, not out of any objective reasoning.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 02:56 PM #31 of 64
Where is your evidence? Site your sources. The investigation is not over, the Marines haven't been able to give their side or speak in their defense, yet its too difficult for you to give them the benefit of the doubt.

My name is Mark, not Billy, unless you're trying to make some insulting reference.

Here's another alledged massacre, complete with similar pictures and accusations, that has been proved false....but my assertions that the Marines just might be innocent is insane.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...2032795&page=1

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Wesker; Jun 2, 2006 at 02:59 PM.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 03:01 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 03:01 PM #32 of 64
I wouldn't doubt that children and women were being used to watch us. It happened in Vietnam and it happens here. Counter-insurgency warfare, y'know.

But still. It's no reason to kill the people. They should have called it in and blocked off whatever roads they could have and had investigation pass through and what-not for the civvies involved. The ROE say only fire if fired upon. Killing women and children for helping out their husbands because they don't know any better isn't sound logic.

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 03:20 PM #33 of 64
This article highlights by opinions quite well

http://www.chronwatch.com/content/co...538&catcode=13

How ya doing, buddy?
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 03:50 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 10:50 PM #34 of 64
Yes, all the soldiers in our armed forces recieve ethics training. That is part of the soldiers creed, something that every soldier is required to memorize. Giving soldiers more "training" in ethics will do nothing against situations like this. If you want to help these people, give them counceling on how to deal with this sort of stuff. They need to know what to expect from themselves and others when they are exposed to this sort of violence and stress.

Wesker, chances are these Marines have orders not to give their side of the story. I'm not sure you will hear the full story of what they have to say until after they are released from the military or if they are found innocent. If they are found guilty... that could be a long time while they sit in prison.

Personally speaking from what I have see, Marines hold themselves to some rather high standards. The murdering of civilians just don't sound like the well trained and harded soldiers in the Marine Corps. I'm not saying that what happened was impossible, I am however wary of what the media has to say on this as there has been a great deal of negative coverage on our military and no coverage on what is really going on over there 99% of the time. I'll wait to hear what the military investigation comes up with.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 03:57 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 03:57 PM #35 of 64
"The facts we do have tell that a carbomb hit a Marine convoy, a firefight ensued, and fifteen civilians were killed along with eight or nine terrorists."

These aren't facts. Your mouthpiece is pretty much wrong.

Quoted more directly from Murtha's statements:

"
MURTHA: Well, what I worry about, Wolf, is that this happened six months ago.

And nothing -- you heard nothing about it. As a matter of fact, the original story was that an IED killed these 15 people. It became very confusing to the public. "TIME" magazine came out with an article, and they still tried to cover it up.

Now, there were payments made to victims, which aren't made unless we kill them, one way or the other. And, secondly, they knew about it the day afterwards. So, there's no excuse for not having this be more open and know exactly what -- and the longer it goes, the worse it is for us, because it looks like it's the policy of our troops to do something like this."

Murtha is referring to the military's tendency to cover up their massacres, not execute civilians.

Admittedly, my only source on this matter is Murtha himself. Though, Murtha claims that his conclusions are based on what he's seen of the evidence, and nobody is disputing what he's saying.

Your recent example seems to be more an indication of an incident the military was fully aware of wasn't their fault, which led to an expedient investigation.

What happened at Haditha seems to be more an example of the military attempting to silence news of the massacre with hush money while they would attempt to investigate the incident in secret, if at all.

Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 07:32 PM #36 of 64
I'm not arguing that there wasn't some kind of cover up, but that can have occurred for various reasons. It seems more likely to me that after the IED went off there was gunfire directed at the Marines, as this is standard operating procedure for the insurgents. The Marines probably returned fire, perhaps with less discrimination than usual, at the houses and other areas from which, even 1 or 2 gunmen, could keep the squad pinned down. After the action, the Marines may have checked these houses and had an "oh shit" moment when they saw the collateral damage. That scenario is far more believable than insane bloodthirsty Marines bursting into houses and indiscriminatley killing 1 year olds. But again, I prefer to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and refrain from calling this a massacre or a rampage.

Oh yeah, is there a reason why my signature has been removed?

Last edited by Wesker; Jun 2, 2006 at 07:35 PM.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 07:59 PM #37 of 64
The cover up could have happened for various reasons, true. All of the reasons I can come up with boil down to "I (or We) were just involved in something bad. And we don't want to get caught." This right there, is an indication of someone being a bad person.

If it was an accident, and all those people were shot while the marines were trying to shoot the lone gunman behind them, then that'd be bad. If they deliberately shot those people, even worse. Trying to cover up the truth is wrong in and of itself, there is no reason for this, even if one can rationalize it to themselves.

Current climate would excuse neglecting one's duty to report on issues such as this? How so? If things were going well, or you were at least following SOP, you'd have nothing to fear from being open about it. Unless you are openly proposing that bad news, even if it is true, should not be spread because it would hurt 'the cause' or some such thing.

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:31 PM #38 of 64
But again, I prefer to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and refrain from calling this a massacre or a rampage.
No, you prefer to invent situations and apologise for them without any evidence for or against your arguments. That's not at all the same thing as the benefit of a doubt.

Quote:
Oh yeah, is there a reason why my signature has been removed?
Why did you put it back? Mods hate when you do that.

Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:58 PM #39 of 64
Originally Posted by a lurker
Why did you put it back? Mods hate when you do that.
I didn't..it just reappeared.

I'm not inventing scenarios, there is just as much or little evidence to support what I've said as there is to support the rampaging killer marine idea. The whole point is is that all the evidence isn't out there, but that doesn't stop papers like the LA times from running inflammatory articles such as this one.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...ines-frontpage

Uncorraborated witness terstimony obtained by an Iraqi reporter from a hotbed of insurgency is apparently is treated as a true and verified account.

FELIPE NO
Niekon
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Member 52

Level 19.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:47 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 09:47 PM #40 of 64
Originally Posted by a lurker
No, you prefer to invent situations and apologise for them without any evidence for or against your arguments. That's not at all the same thing as the benefit of a doubt.
It seems more likely to me that after the IED went off there was gunfire directed at the Marines, as this is standard operating procedure for the insurgents. The Marines probably returned fire, perhaps with less discrimination than usual, at the houses and other areas from which, even 1 or 2 gunmen, could keep the squad pinned down.

Yeah... not inventing situations...

So unless you were there... and part of that unit... STFU...
You are trying to defend something that you know nothing except what Scarborough Country has spewed at your skull. And guess what? You drank it up without even questioning anything. Congrats... Jerry Falwell welcomes you to the fold.

Now... I've been following thing story since it broke and have not taken a stance one way or another. I still believe in "innocent until proven guilty"...
But sadly... for the miltary to cover up this information for nearly six months is self-destructive. Why bother hiding something for that long unless you seriously fucked up somewhere?

Oh, that's right... they didn't fuck up... the liberal media and Michael Moore lied. WTFever...
Tell that to the media that isn't based within the US... someone fucked up... and it wasn't the media this time... as shocking as that may seem.

And care to keep just posting up online news articles without any supporting evidence? You'll probably refute this post with something from another online media outlet. But that means nothing in here unless you are coming in here with an honest opinion on the subject matter and are trying to defend yourself with something else than a "but they said this" kind of defense.

EDIT: I did want to state this: unless you yourself have been in a situation like that... don't even begin to think that you know what is going through their minds.
I was in the Gulf War... I was stationed a few miles outside of the Iraqi border... and I'll tell you now.... the thought process was "shoot first, ask questions later"... not "hey, let's check this out" and die...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Niekon; Jun 2, 2006 at 11:57 PM.
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:06 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 12:06 AM #41 of 64
Originally Posted by Niekon
You are trying to defend something that you know nothing except what Scarborough Country has spewed at your skull.
Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember Scarborough spewing anything about Haditha. Perhaps you meant to say O'Reilly.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Niekon
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Member 52

Level 19.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:24 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 10:24 PM #42 of 64
perhaps/probably... I tend to avoid most of the news programs that are based within the US. I'm preferental to non-US based news programs... with the exception of Jon Sewart for his humour...

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:39 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 01:39 AM #43 of 64
It should be noted to Niekon that The Daily Show is not actually news.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:45 AM #44 of 64
But they talk about politics!

Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:46 AM #45 of 64
You are trying to defend something that you know nothing except what Scarborough Country has spewed at your skull. And guess what? You drank it up without even questioning anything. Congrats... Jerry Falwell welcomes you to the fold.
What the hell are you talking about?? I'm just offering a possible alternative. I'm not defending the actions of the marines, I'm saying we do not yet know what those actions were and to call them rampaging bloodthirsty killers before we have all the facts is a reckless rush to judgement. And what the fuck does that idiot Jerry Falwell have to do with any of this?

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:48 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 07:48 AM #46 of 64
EDIT: I did want to state this: unless you yourself have been in a situation like that... don't even begin to think that you know what is going through their minds.
I was in the Gulf War... I was stationed a few miles outside of the Iraqi border... and I'll tell you now.... the thought process was "shoot first, ask questions later"... not "hey, let's check this out" and die...
Uhh okay? Since you seem to be an expert of "what is going through their minds", maybe you can tell me how a couple of well-trained and well-equipped marines could possibly be killed by a couple of elderly women and young children.

Jerrica
Jem is my name, bitch!

Member 1670

Level 4.31

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:48 AM #47 of 64
"If you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners corrupted from birth, and then punish them for the crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded than that you first make thieves, and then punish them?"

Here's a big surprise. A marine experiences one too many IEDs and goes Terminator. Everyone screams murderer. But this government made them go to Iraq to do the dirty work. When they snap and go on a rampage, the public (who elected this government) throws the marines to the wolves. We're asking them to do super-human things, to live outside their own minds, to be in complete control all the time and this IS NOT POSSIBLE IN A PLACE LIKE IRAQ. Yes, they're going to fuck up. They are human. They are in a place they don't want to be, watching their friends die everyday. You can blather on about rigorous training all you want, but most of these kids are as green as Oscar the Grouch. They aren't ready, they don't realise what they signed up for, and they're fucking up hand over fist. I don't blame their superiors for trying to cover uip for them; I would too. Americans can shake their fingers at these guys all they want, but you put them there, so you share the blame.

FELIPE NO
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:54 AM #48 of 64
I'm just offering a possible alternative.

[...]before we have all the facts is a reckless rush to judgement.
It's true, you are. So perhaps you should stop it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:56 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 01:56 AM #49 of 64
Quote:
Americans can shake their fingers at these guys all they want, but you put them there, so you share the blame.
So what, you're saying that we should absolve them of any wrongdoing?

I'm all for the President getting the shaft over this, but the fact of the matter is that these troops still committed voluntary manslaughter.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 02:04 AM #50 of 64
Originally Posted by Jerrica
Yes, they're going to fuck up. They are human. They are in a place they don't want to be, watching their friends die everyday. You can blather on about rigorous training all you want, but most of these kids are as green as Oscar the Grouch. They aren't ready, they don't realise what they signed up for, and they're fucking up hand over fist.
You are not doing this right.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Marines cover up massacre in Iraq