Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Politiscience....Global Warming

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 07:41 PM Local time: May 7, 2006, 10:41 AM #26 of 57
Polluters use the untenable global warming argument to shelf every environmental damage. Emission reduction having a negligible effect (even geologically) is by no account an excuse to continue as normal when the same practices that produce those emissions are still destroying other parts of the environment.

It's like a tug-of-war of the same political package. Environmentalists want the global warming issue to stop all pollution and polluters want the possibility of ineffectuality to keep lucrative practices intact.

(This may have already been stated, but some of you occasionally have a case of the Tl;drs.)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: May 6, 2006, 06:50 PM #27 of 57
Originally Posted by a lurker
It doesn't matter whether the planet is very resiliant or wether human ingenuity will make the banana survive the century. What does matter is how expensive the process will be. Certainly an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Well, and I agree. The largest problems are economic, but, as usually happens, when people/companies/goverments jump into a problem without thinking it through thoroughly, they end up spending a fuckload more money in the end, which is what Kyoto would have done (maximum cost for minimal impact).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
and Brandy does her best to understand
How Unfortunate
Ghost

Member 4460

Level 13.04

Apr 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 11:05 PM #28 of 57
Where are all these criticisms coming from? The only ones I ever hear are from Crichton, that guy who typed 700% instead of 70% for icecap mass, and I guess Rush Limbaugh counts ("somehow we're warming up the ice caps even though our cars and smokestacks are here in America, hah-hah").

Someone's got link me up on the doubters news train, yo.

Originally Posted by NYRSkate
Before 1750, the atmosphere, on average, contained 280 parts per million of carbon dioxide. As of February 2005 that number is at about 375 ppm (source), and of course, steadily increasing. Say what you want about man's activities having a minimal effect on the heating of the planet, but hard numbers don't lie.
You can bump the numbers higher if you like! Which is hilarious because the UK was all like "if we go over 400 that's the tipping point and baaad things will happen."

Quote:
...his calculations show the equivalent concentration of C02, taking in the effects of methane and nitrous oxide at 2004 levels, is now 425ppm. This is made up of CO2 itself, at 379ppm; the global warming effect of the methane in the atmosphere, equivalent to another 40ppm of CO2; and the effect of nitrous oxide, equivalent to another 6ppm of CO2.

Originally Posted by Gechmir
An experiment has been performed on the Earth during the past half-century (my old boss was involved in it). It includes all of the complex factors and feedback effects that determine the Earth's temperature and climate. Since 1940, atmospheric Greenhouse Gases have risen substantially. Yet atmospheric temperatures have not risen. In fact, during the 19 years with the highest atmospheric levels of CO2 and other Greenhouse Gases, temperatures have fallen.
Was it this study? Or a similar one? (Controversy bolded)

Quote:
Some scientists who question whether human-caused global warming poses a threat have long pointed to records that showed the atmosphere's lowest layer, the troposphere, had not warmed over the last two decades and had cooled in the tropics.

Now, two independent studies have found errors in the complicated calculations...when the errors are taken into account, the troposphere actually got warmer. Moreover, that warming trend largely agrees with the warmer surface temperatures that have been recorded and conforms to predictions in recent computer models.

The scientists who developed the original troposphere temperature records from satellite data, John R. Christy and Roy W. Spencer of the University of Alabama at Huntsville, conceded Thursday that they had made a mistake but said that their revised calculations still produced a warming rate too small to be a concern.

"Our view hasn't changed," Christy said. "We still have this modest warming."

Other climate experts, however, said that the new studies were very significant, effectively resolving a puzzle that had been used by opponents of curbs on heat-trapping greenhouse gases.
Or of course you can look at recent data, if you like

Quote:
The American Meteorological Society (6), the American Geophysical Union (7), and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) all have issued statements in recent years concluding that the evidence for human modification of climate is compelling (8).

The drafting of such reports and statements involves many opportunities for comment, criticism, and revision, and it is not likely that they would diverge greatly from the opinions of the societies' members. Nevertheless, they might downplay legitimate dissenting opinions. That hypothesis was tested by analyzing 928 abstracts, published in refereed scientific journals between 1993 and 2003, and listed in the ISI database with the keywords "climate change" (9).

The 928 papers were divided into six categories: explicit endorsement of the consensus position, evaluation of impacts, mitigation proposals, methods, paleoclimate analysis, and rejection of the consensus position. Of all the papers, 75% fell into the first three categories, either explicitly or implicitly accepting the consensus view; 25% dealt with methods or paleoclimate, taking no position on current anthropogenic climate change. Remarkably, none of the papers disagreed with the consensus position.

Admittedly, authors evaluating impacts, developing methods, or studying paleoclimatic change might believe that current climate change is natural. However, none of these papers argued that point.

Not only has the global warming hypothesis failed the experimental test, but it is theoretically flawed as well. It can reasonably be said that cooling from negative physical and biological feedbacks to Greenhouse Gases will nullify the initial temperature rise.

Could you explain the negative feedbacks? Most of what I've heard has been positive feedbacks. Which are "supposedly" what scare the scientists shitless.
  • Heating decreses glacier surface area, decreasing white space on the earth, increasing thermal radiation pick-up, which melts further ice...
  • Heating kills plants, which release CO2, which further heats, which...
  • Heat causes summer droughts, which speeds CO2 release from peat bogs, which, causes harsher droughts, which...
  • Heating melts methane hydrates, which...

etc. etc. until you weep for the baby owls or something.

Originally Posted by BlueMikey
I do believe that the planet is very, very resilient and humans can certainly withstand heat increases, what with genetically-altered crops to get us our food. And we'll certainly protect the animals we like.
This goes for the entire 6 billion of us, does it? :eyebrow: It's a good thing farmers are wealthy and dynamic enough to move, or retrain and retool for new crops, if the climate shifts. Then there's the fact that we never get food from say, trees that have to be decades old for harvesting. And it's also good that the moving of sea level or the drying of rivers or the chaning of weather patterns can't impact access to freshwater or good farmland. We're a pretty fucking lucky species.

...But I agree that Kyoto is bullshit

Quote:
One of the most ambitious is the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM). Only just up and running, this allows rich countries which are unable or not keen to cut emissions at home to invest in emission-reducing industrial projects in poor countries and then claim carbon credits for the greenhouse gas reductions achieved.

...an offshore oil production works in South Vietnam and two coal mines in China are hoping to gain more than 17 million credits for capturing and using the methane released as part of their operations.

...The very idea that vast plantations of eucalyptus or palm trees could be used to earn carbon credits for large companies to get rich country governments off the hook of cutting emissions at home appalls many
It's not that Kyoto is subsidizing Chinese coal plants, oh no! It's investing in Chinese efficiency for the good of the planet!!

Bush was completely right to ditch Kyoto, unfortunately. No one is going to cut their air travel, which alone is almost enough to "fuck the planet" (if the enviros are right). The only reason part of Europe even got a good start was because they (stupidly) started building natural gas plants. They stopped doing it, so they're screwed. The other countries are even worse off. Enjoy paying "we failed, we suck" money to a stupid treaty instead of investing it in research or efficiency, suckers! What's that money going to go towards anyway?

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 12:36 AM #29 of 57
Well, and I agree. The largest problems are economic, but, as usually happens, when people/companies/goverments jump into a problem without thinking it through thoroughly, they end up spending a fuckload more money in the end, which is what Kyoto would have done (maximum cost for minimal impact).
Can't argue with that, but at the same time
Quote:
And we'll certainly protect the animals we like.

Animals and plants go extinct every day, ones we don't even know about, so that's not really much of it.
is an exceptionally short-sighted and expensive line of thinking.

I was speaking idiomatically.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: May 6, 2006, 10:50 PM #30 of 57
It's not saying that it isn't a bad thing, but I do believe there are more important things to worry about than Unnamed Bug being able to stick around.

Originally Posted by How Unfortunate
This goes for the entire 6 billion of us, does it? :eyebrow: It's a good thing farmers are wealthy and dynamic enough to move, or retrain and retool for new crops, if the climate shifts. Then there's the fact that we never get food from say, trees that have to be decades old for harvesting. And it's also good that the moving of sea level or the drying of rivers or the chaning of weather patterns can't impact access to freshwater or good farmland. We're a pretty fucking lucky species.
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. You seem to understand that we are talking about global climate which implies not only a wide range of the Earth (all of it) but a wide swath of time.

Again, the biggest problem of warming is that people chose to live by the oceans because you can't move, you know, skyscrapers. And if humans never touched the air, the Earth would heat up naturally at some point. Maybe we accelerated it early. But the natural time for it would have come around eventually and we'd still be fucked.

I'm not sure why you think that farmers are going to be in such trouble. Genetically-modifed crops can be (and not necessarily now, but soon) made to live in all kinds of climates. And if it becomes economically infeasable to grow, I dunno, bananas, then we'll start eating other, more adaptable fruits. Are you saying if the Earth heats up, there will be no crops which will be around? None that can adapt?

Not to mention that people in Africa are starving now. Are you not worried about people eating now? You only care about crops when it might come close (yeah, right) to actually affecting you? So, you're not really worried about global warming, but local warming.

See, this is the environmental lobby's problem: people like you. It's not as extreme as you say; calls of hellfire and brimstone is what led average Americans to not give any shit until very, very recently. It's not as extreme as the people who are crying for no change say; humans can and do need to act better. There needs to be a happy balance, so caving into this notion of fear of the world ending is incredibly dangerous. And the squeakiest wheel gets the grease: there are a fuckload more problems a lot more pressing than global warming, yet somehow people act like someone is raping their child.

I didn't think much of Michael Crichton's book because I don't like being preached to and I just don't think it is good to only show one side of science. But the whole "state of fear" thing is real and, you, my friend, have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by BlueMikey; May 7, 2006 at 12:58 AM.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 10:08 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 10:08 AM #31 of 57
Originally Posted by How Unfortunate
Could you explain the negative feedbacks? Most of what I've heard has been positive feedbacks. Which are "supposedly" what scare the scientists shitless.
  • Heating decreses glacier surface area, decreasing white space on the earth, increasing thermal radiation pick-up, which melts further ice...
  • Heating kills plants, which release CO2, which further heats, which...
  • Heat causes summer droughts, which speeds CO2 release from peat bogs, which, causes harsher droughts, which...
  • Heating melts methane hydrates, which...

etc. etc. until you weep for the baby owls or something.
The biggest negative feedback that comes to my attention is a backlash that'd dart us into another ice age of sorts. As ice melts, you get more and more water percentage on the surface area of the Earth. The evaporation rate would get unreal if things got as hot as folks are proposing. Water would evaporate and a hefty amount of Water Vapor would get into the atmosphere. Now... Water Vapor is a much larger potential troublemaker than CO2, theoretically. It'll insulate heat at first, but as it grows in massive quantities, it begins to mess with the Albedo Effect. It would block the sunlight and cool things down very quickly. Water vapor would continue to accumulate and floods would really shift into high gear on activity. Blocking of sunlight results in things cooling until the water vapor isn't blocking up the atmosphere quite as much.

For another keep-in-check mechanism, read up on CaCO3 production by Plankton (Foraminifera). I'd rather not copy and paste a lengthy glob on it =p

As for plants, they can adapt to temperature change quickly. If not, mankind can always step in and do a little genetic work. But that's an extreme. Warming and Cooling trends have wiped dozens of species off the map before. They can adapt to very severe spikes. As shown in my earlier diagram, some temperature booms were very sharp.

I could name a few more, but that's all I could toss out on the top of my head. There are many more, but that'd require a run on Google. And I'd rather not =I

And I believe you mean plants which release O2. But I'm sure that's just a typo =o

I weep for the owls ;_; I must go chain myself to an owl sanctuary. NOW.

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 10:56 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 09:56 AM #32 of 57
Plants can aspire CO2, and their decay also releases carbon in various forms. I think that's what Unfortunate meant.

Vegetation sequestering is one of the largest sinks of carbon as are producers of carbonates. The effect and scale to which they can offset the increasing output of carbon in the atmosphere is still under investigation.

Still, people need to approach this issue with a clear head and not be swayed by those who wish to manipulate you emotionally, whether it is the doomsday prophets or the people who think it is inconsequential. If one is steered by either complacency or panic, nothing good will come out of it.

It would be interesting to see what GFF thinks of Peak Oil. I wonder if a thread should be made for that.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 11:50 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 11:50 AM #33 of 57
I didn't think much of Michael Crichton's book because I don't like being preached to and I just don't think it is good to only show one side of science. But the whole "state of fear" thing is real and, you, my friend, have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker.
Well I don't suppose I need to ask what you think of Al Gore. I'm curious as to what statistics his book uses, though, and exactly how he makes his argument in this film.

I lean more towards the alarmis state of mind myself, but it is interesting to hear soem of these arguments people are making. What's frustrating is that everyone seems to be acknowledging the problem to one degree or another, but to the best of my knowledge no efforts are being made to research alternatives. Alternative fuels, yes, but not alternative combustion engines, for instance. Funding is being spent on reduction instead of on ideas for prevention/human accommodation.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 12:01 PM Local time: May 7, 2006, 12:01 PM #34 of 57
Originally Posted by Dullenplain
It would be interesting to see what GFF thinks of Peak Oil. I wonder if a thread should be made for that.
Before the crash, I could've forwarded you to an old monstrous thread about Peak Oil. Whitecrab, an former(?) poster was a big fan of Peak Oil discussion, and I believe he made the thread originally.

Maybe we need a new thread on the topic. It was quite a good read =)

How ya doing, buddy?

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 01:03 PM Local time: May 7, 2006, 11:03 AM #35 of 57
Originally Posted by Skexis
Well I don't suppose I need to ask what you think of Al Gore. I'm curious as to what statistics his book uses, though, and exactly how he makes his argument in this film.

I lean more towards the alarmis state of mind myself, but it is interesting to hear soem of these arguments people are making. What's frustrating is that everyone seems to be acknowledging the problem to one degree or another, but to the best of my knowledge no efforts are being made to research alternatives. Alternative fuels, yes, but not alternative combustion engines, for instance. Funding is being spent on reduction instead of on ideas for prevention/human accommodation.
I dunno about Al Gore. I just read this month's article about him in Wired. I don't feel as dismissive of him as I do of Michael Crichton, maybe because Crichton is an author of fiction and Al Gore is pretty well respected on environmental issues. The article made me wish (again) he had won the presidency.

I know Al Gore is not a fearmonger. From what I read, he is on the mindset of for there to be any reliable and workable solutions to solving any environmental problems, there must be an economic reason for doing so, which is a point we're getting to. For example, enough research has been done by companies now that they know they can save money finding ways to create less waste, as disposing of waste is becoming increasingly expensive.

And that is kind of the problem. I wish technology was advancing faster, but how much money has GM poured into trying to get hydrogen fuel cells to work (maybe as much in advertising as in actual R&D, but still)? I heard on NPR Friday that most experts think we are still 20 years away from having reliable fuel cells on the road, and that is after a good solid 10 years of working at it.

Edit: I just watched the trailer for the Al Gore movie. It does seem to use fear as the major motivator, which I don't appreciate, but from what I hear of the film, that isn't the case at all.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by BlueMikey; May 7, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 05:40 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 03:40 AM #36 of 57
Originally Posted by a lurker
Because it's unreasonable to ask people to go on Walden-esque retreats. Nigga's gotta work, nigga's gotta eat. And for all the personal sacrifices someone has to make to unhook themselves from the grid*, it won't make a lick of difference. A larger trend in society would, and efficency changes in industry better still.
You misunderstand me. I'm saying that even if a person went to such lengths to "save the planet" it wouldn't matter. It would just mean more for the rest of us that do consume. In this case, it'd mean more for the Chinese or Indians. A larger trend in society will not take hold. Whether that be in the interests of the environment or economy. Each government motivated attempt has ended up in complete failure. The Kyoto Accords being an example for the environment. Or if you need an economic example look up Gorbachev's Perestroika(sp?) initiatives. Any attempt to slow a decline has only ended up speeding it up.

Originally Posted by deadally
I don't understand what you mean by organic, and I doubt that you understand what the word organic means
What I mean by 'organic' is the absence of derivative hydrocarbon based sustances that assist in the production of our food supply. Whether that be fertilzers, herbicides, pesticides, etc.

Also, if everybody ate only what they grew for themselves, then we'd have a famine on our hands
An acute observation. Not one I'm inclined to disagree with.

Are you for organic fertilizer, too? What is organic fertilizer?
Heh. This question I'm not wholly prepared to answer. I know little to nothing about organic farming. Organic feritilizer is basically made up of compost. Compost could be anything that's of a decaying organic matter. I suspect my retired mother uses shit in her compost pile for her garden. It just smells like it.....

Before the crash, I could've forwarded you to an old monstrous thread about Peak Oil. Whitecrab, an former(?) poster was a big fan of Peak Oil discussion, and I believe he made the thread originally.
I think the debate is over. When the New York Times acknowledges it to the degree of calling it an "almost certainty", and it has congressional support there's not much to debate about. Except how far it has penetrated the public consciousness.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 07:29 AM #37 of 57
Just so you know, "derivative hydrocarbon based substances" ARE organic. Organic means anything made of carbon.

The only difference between "organic" fertilizer (shit) and "artificial" fertilizer is their effectiveness. Fertilizers are generally composed of 3 main elements (correct me if I'm wrong), and they include nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. None of these is organic (because they're not CARBON), but they are all definitely the same fertilizer.

Essentially, man-made fertilizers are the same as the manures used in chemical composition, only more effective (considering that farmers are able to feed a good portion of the world, this isn't a long-shot). Go Fritz Haber!

Next, some could argue that the main reason pesticides are "bad" is because insects can develop resistances. Silent Spring and all that is an argument for another day, though.

By the way, I speak of organic strictly from the chemist's point of view. The other definitions you might find are derived colloquialisms to me.

In terms of that...hey! You want something that's organic AND all-natural and low in fat? Potassium Cyanide!

So, remember, without fertilizer we'd pretty much be up a shit-creek. Manure is effective, but not on a grand scale (look how much more expensive organic food is, when all food is organic). Not all additives are out to kill you (and many many carcinogenic substances are only so in HUGE amounts), and Fritz Haber saved us all from Malthusian wastelands! Then he weaponized poison gas

How ya doing, buddy?
Returned
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 01:23 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:23 AM #38 of 57
Just so you know, "derivative hydrocarbon based substances" ARE organic. Organic means anything made of carbon.
In the context I was using the term "inorganic" was/is originating from a non-biological source.

The only difference between "organic" fertilizer (shit) and "artificial" fertilizer is their effectiveness. Fertilizers are generally composed of 3 main elements (correct me if I'm wrong), and they include nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. None of these is organic (because they're not CARBON), but they are all definitely the same fertilizer.
You're right on the first two. I have no clue about potassium though. Again, it's not derived from a biological source, so it's considered inorganic from a non-chemist's point of view. You seem like someone who really enjoys organic chemistry. (I think I just lost an old bet...)

This probably belongs in a Peak-Oil or a permaculture related discussion, but one glaring difference is how sustainable our current farming infrastructure is given the rising of energy prices. If it isn't sustainable in such an environment, it does not matter how much more effective it is. It will just be more expensive. If people cannot afford it, they'll just starve. They're better off growing their own food. So it's not necessarily the better option when speaking from that aspect eh? Since natural gas is a major component in the production of our fertilizers/herbicides/pesticides. Yet another nonrenewable hydrocarbon resource which we only have so much of.

Next, some could argue that the main reason pesticides are "bad" is because insects can develop resistances. Silent Spring and all that is an argument for another day, though.
You'd be debating yourself. Soooo not going to touch that one. Science as a whole was not a very good subject of mine.

By the way, I speak of organic strictly from the chemist's point of view. The other definitions you might find are derived colloquialisms to me.
That much is obvious. Our interpetations of the words organic and inorganic differ roughly on those lines.

So, remember, without fertilizer we'd pretty much be up a shit-creek. Manure is effective, but not on a grand scale (look how much more expensive organic food is, when all food is organic). Not all additives are out to kill you (and many many carcinogenic substances are only so in HUGE amounts), and
I wasn't talking about "organic" stores selling organic food. Most of that stuff is sold at Safeway for much cheaper. It's just an excuse used to sell overpriced food to ignorant yuppies who aren't smart enough to know what they're buying. Nor, do I think that food additives are out to kill me. Just talking from a generalized individual "organic" food growing aspect.

I'm not the one that said that there would be a famine if we had to grow our food organically.... I just questioned the sustainability of our current food growing paradigm in the face of rising energy costs. Which is in no way related...... right?

Fritz Haber saved us all from Malthusian wastelands! Then he weaponized poison gas
Ahhh, yet another example of "progress" at work.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 03:35 PM #39 of 57
Well, his contribution to science far outweighs his contribution to human death

By the way...potassium is also inorganic. All fertilizer is basically inorganic since they're not really made of carbon. The fertilizer that is chemically manufactured is the exact same nitrate and phosphate (etc) that comes from biological sources

Last note on chemistry, if it's carbon-containing, it's organic. If it has no carbon, it's inorganic. Both are devastatingly important to life sustenance, and fertilizer, no matter where you get it, is inorganic.

Honestly, given your point about famine, it seems like a lose-lose situation if peak oil should strike us suddenly (which is somewhat absurd). We could no longer transport the industrial fertilizer and big farm-grown food to everybody. And people still would not have enough land to grow their own food. Famine would probably erupt either way...but it is nice to note that making nitrogen-based fertilizer, in my understanding, takes no hydrocarbon fuel aside from that it requires through heating. So we could find an alternate mode of transportation to get food and fertilizer to and fro.

Of course, that disregards the need for fuels for machinery and all that, but I'm a student of chemistry! I don't think on the grand scale!

Hope I enlightened!

FELIPE NO
Returned
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 04:00 PM #40 of 57
Originally Posted by Watts
I think the debate is over. When the New York Times acknowledges it to the degree of calling it an "almost certainty", and it has congressional support there's not much to debate about. Except how far it has penetrated the public consciousness.
Oh, I realize it is accepted. I know about Hubbert's Point and all that jazz. And I know that people know about peak oil. It's just that the thread had interesting discussions on alternate sources for petrol or other means of fuel.

But what I meant in that post was that Whitecrab had a real penchant for discussing the topic. Didn't mean it like "he's a fan of that theory" =p Hubbert's Point was for the US and predicted peak oil accurately. It was distributed to a worldwide scale and will possibly hold true. But there are always variables =d

Last edited by Gechmir; May 8, 2006 at 04:28 PM.
SuperBobby
Banned

Member 6282

Level 3.62

May 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 12:01 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 09:01 AM #41 of 57
In general, people are downplaying Global Warming waaaaay too much.
In the Alps, there are now resort type condos where 600 metre deep glaciers were in 1911.

If people want to dispute Global Warming, then they are idiots.
Not too far from now, we will will have ICE FREE summers in the Arctic Ocean. Something that until recently was not even considered.

Schandmaul
lazy bum

Member 1863

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 07:19 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 02:19 AM #42 of 57
I've found a nice little video about this topic.
Honestly, this is what i call brainwashing of the people.

http://interface.audiovideoweb.com/l...h.wmv/play.asx

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 03:19 AM Local time: May 26, 2006, 02:19 AM #43 of 57
Last note on chemistry, if it's carbon-containing, it's organic. If it has no carbon, it's inorganic. Both are devastatingly important to life sustenance, and fertilizer, no matter where you get it, is inorganic.
Props for setting the record straight there. I love getting into arguments with naturalist granola types explaning that I love to eat organic food from Taco Bell or take organic aspirin. "I don't drink pure water as it is inorganic."

Props also for this thread in general. I'm going to a discussion about global warming tomorrow and this thread has been pretty informative.

It seems as though alternative fuel sources have become a high priority among automobile manufacturers. As soon as a market puts a demand on a technology, R&D kicks it into high gear.

I'm curious as to the emissions laws in other countries outside of the United States. From what I know, it seems as though the US has very strict emissions laws comparative to other countries. I know for example, that Japanese cars that are imported (and I don't mean something like a Toyota that you'd buy at a dealership here) will not pass US emissions unless they undergo some modification. Granted the US does it's fair share of polluting through auto emissions... but then again, we are the 3rd largest nation in population, and the wealthiest.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 10:01 AM Local time: May 26, 2006, 10:01 AM #44 of 57
Plus, bear in mind pollutant levels in Japan. In some regions, elderly folks have to have air-tanks with them to breathe through (supposedly). I recall reading an article or two in the past that mentioned this. The US has much higher level activity in some hotspots, like LA, New York, and Houston. Gotta keep emissions tightly constrained for such situations.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 11:53 AM Local time: May 26, 2006, 10:53 AM #45 of 57
Plus, bear in mind pollutant levels in Japan. In some regions, elderly folks have to have air-tanks with them to breathe through (supposedly). I recall reading an article or two in the past that mentioned this.
Goddamn! I've read that in Mexico City it's so bad that they actually have fresh air/oxygen booths that you can pay to sit in for a little while and breathe. This could just be speculation or hearsay though.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 02:42 PM Local time: May 26, 2006, 02:42 PM #46 of 57
Mexico City's air is thin, hence booths and tanks for breathing. That's due to elevation. Pollution isn't a gigantic problem over there, I don't think...

How ya doing, buddy?

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 05:48 PM Local time: May 26, 2006, 03:48 PM #47 of 57
Japan and Mexico City both have oxygen booths, which is more for an oxygen high than anything.

In some regions, elderly folks have to have air-tanks with them to breathe through (supposedly).
Uh, many people in the US have this and completely unrelated to air pollution; it is called "being ill". COPD, asthma, hypoxemia, etc.

FELIPE NO
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 08:55 PM Local time: May 26, 2006, 08:55 PM #48 of 57
Uh, many people in the US have this and completely unrelated to air pollution; it is called "being ill". COPD, asthma, hypoxemia, etc.
I realize that many elderly folks require oxygen tanks. I didn't fall off the turnip truck last week. My point I was addressing is that there are lots of folks in Japan who require O2 tanks solely due to air pollution. The air is too dirty for their lungs to handle.

Asthma is a physical difficulty in breathing due to breathing passages closing up/narrowing and what-not. COPD is caused by smoking and also was caught by coal miners quite regularly. Hypoxemia is what is experienced in Mexico City due to high elevation.

Japan is much smaller than the US, but it growing tremendously in urban areas. There isn't much land, and there isn't much room for trash. As a result, they burn their trash. A LOT of their trash. Lots of what they burn aren't things you want to be breathing. This is a growing problem

A site on the topic:
http://web-japan.org/factsheet/pollution/other.html

For older generations, there were cases of arsenic poisoning.

Quote:
Japan experienced a number of serious forms of environmental pollution from the 1960s to the 1970s. Besides Minamata disease, a series of other pollution-related diseases have surfaced, one after another, such as itai-itai disease, which broke out in the Jinzugawa river basin in Toyama Prefecture; respiratory disorders in the Tokyo- Yokohama, Nagoya, and Osaka-Kobe industrial belts; and chronic arsenic poisoning in the Toroku district in Miyazaki Prefecture. These forms of pollution occurred as a result of the priority placed on rapid economic growth and the downplay of standards to protect people's health and safety. The consequences led to Japan's setting strict regulations to protect the environment from the 1960s onward.
That is a snippette from this site:
http://www.sg.emb-japan.go.jp/JapanAccess/pollute.htm

Another site on random air pollution topics:
http://www.riskworld.com/Profsoci/sr...2/Ps6ae203.htm

The US has its air pollution problems, but for starters, it has the EPA which is rather stringent on its regulations. Japan is a looser. Secondly, the population density in Japan is larger. People are packed closer together. As a result, one small region's difficulty spreads quite a ways.

You have folks from the previous two generations and people of this generation developing respiratory difficulties due to various pollutants. The pollution isn't reducing swiftly even though Japan is pushing for hybrid technology and what-not for fuel conservation and cleaner burning. Air is still rather dirty to breathe and a good junk of elderly cannot handle it.

Last edited by Gechmir; May 26, 2006 at 09:00 PM.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 11:01 PM #49 of 57
"From what I know, it seems as though the US has very strict emissions laws comparative to other countries."

How can you argue against strict polution control when it only brings you back to an example of why strict controls are good?

I hear that emission laws vary quite a bit from region to region in the US as well, such as California and Florida having considerably more strict regulations. I'd be most interested to hear what you learn about how it stacks up to other similar nations. I've always been given the impression that they lag behind places like Britain, France, Canada, Germany, etc. But if this is exageration or propaganda, that'd sure be interesting.

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 11:36 PM Local time: May 28, 2006, 01:06 AM #50 of 57
We all know that global warming is now happening, it is obvious with the warming temperatures in Nunavut.

I personally believe that it is too late, there is no way that billions of people are going to stop their current energy consumption within a few years.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Politiscience....Global Warming