Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] LOST
Closed Thread

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:13 PM #1 of 1091
LOST

So we're past the halfway mark of Season 2. Despite a rather dull beginning, the most recent episode offered a great number of interesting twists. For example, it's become fairly clear that
Spoiler:
there aren't two groups of others; the Others are normal-looking people in normal-looking clothes who wear disguises to look bummy.
The most recent episode also made previous episodes make more sense and small things seem very significant. I was impressed, after several "filler" episodes and poorly written, pointless scenes.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
rockthepartay
Crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting saner.

Member 693

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:45 PM #2 of 1091
This was easily the best episode so far this season. It was a great twist having the flashback aspect of the show actually occur on the island. I wouldn't mind an episode dedicated to the history/flashback of the island itself one day.

Spoiler:
The most interesting aspect for me this episode were the Oceanic Airlines model planes found in the baby's room. Can we assume that Dharma/the Others caused the crash?

One gripe I had was the whole scene with Locke getting angry over what Henry said. Not only is it cliche, but it makes no sense for Locke to become jealous over Jack. Locke has always done what he wanted to do, so why would he care now?

Sadly, there is not only a two week hiatus, but it seems the next episode will be more filler.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:57 PM #3 of 1091
I started this show a few weeks ago. First time watching it ever. (Started at the beginning with season 1).

I really must say... this entire show is like 5 out of 10 to me. I have seen the first 5 episodes or so and the way that these people act is so inconsistent. 10 minutes after the crash, the chars were being their whiny or happy little selves.

Spoiler:
On the 5th episode, Boone started to drown at the beginning of the episode and about 15 episode minutes later he was YELLING at Jack for rescuing him. I realize that a woman was drowning farther ahead but Jack saved Boones life and much later in the ep he was bitching!

What a loser, and what horrible writing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:39 PM #4 of 1091
Originally Posted by rockthepartay
Spoiler:
The most interesting aspect for me this episode were the Oceanic Airlines model planes found in the baby's room. Can we assume that Dharma/the Others caused the crash?
That's the impression I got. It's pretty weird too, because of the song that played ("catch a falling star and put it in your pocket") and the fact that the planes were circling a silver star. (Also notice that this mobile was seen a dream sequence during season 1.) The mention of a star made me think of "Le Cratere" or the crater that Rousseau had drawn on her map. A falling star - a meteor of some kind - could cause a crater.

One gripe I had was the whole scene with Locke getting angry over what Henry said. Not only is it cliche, but it makes no sense for Locke to become jealous over Jack. Locke has always done what he wanted to do, so why would he care now?
I think it's more than that.

Locke's adult life has been a series of disappointments. His own father stealing his kidney, his failed relationship with a woman, his coworker (or boss) ridiculing him, and his inability to go on whatever hunting trip because of his paralyzation.

Everything about Locke's life sucked until he got to the island. First he regained his ability to walk. He encountered (presumably) the monster and said what he saw was beautiful. He then discovers the hatch. For all of Season 1, Locke felt that the island was showing him his fate and his purpose.

Then he finally gets in the hatch. But inside the bunker, there's nothing truly significant. Just button pressing. Endless days of button pressing.

Remember him searching through all the books claiming he was alphabetizing, although he was flipping through all the pages? I paid attention to Locke on this past episode. He was replacing a lightbulb, but when he was done, you can see him sort of examining the ligh bulbs in his hand.

Locke is looking for something, he's looking for meaning; the next step. And he isn't finding it.

Jack on the other hand, has been pretty nonbelieving the whole time. To Jack, the island is just an island for some fucked up shit is taking place. So what if there's a monster? So what if they're even saving the world? Jack doesn't care, things are the way they are. Nothing has any meaning to Jack besides face value.

Now there's this tug-of-war between Jack and Locke. At the moment, Jack would appear to be winning. Henry, who actually is a brilliant dude (check other LOST forums for how Henry saw a painting of a balloon on a wall in the bunker most likely derived his story based on recent news about a balloon flight), is instigating.

Locke is pissed because Jack seems to be on top, physically and philosophically, and also because Locke is on the verge of facing yet another huge disappointment in life. This one is greater than any of the past disappointments. Once again, what he thought was his purpose is being stripped from him, but this time it's more real than its ever been. If your flight crash-landed on an island and not only did you survive but you regained the ability to walk, you might feel the same way as Locke. Right now, the island is Locke's God; it's his religion. But like everything else, it's turning out that what he thought had meaning is meaningless.

Sadly, there is not only a two week hiatus, but it seems the next episode will be more filler.
What?! There's a week break in between every goddamn episode, it seems. The only time the episodes seem to run consistently was at the very beginning of this season. And they damn well should have, considering how the first few episodes seemed to cover hardly any ground whatsoever.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
CloudNine
#ABCDEF

Member 43

Level 18.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:05 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:05 PM #5 of 1091
Originally Posted by Borg1982
Spoiler:
On the 5th episode, Boone started to drown at the beginning of the episode and about 15 episode minutes later he was YELLING at Jack for rescuing him. I realize that a woman was drowning farther ahead but Jack saved Boones life and much later in the ep he was bitching!

What a loser, and what horrible writing.
Spoiler:
That's because Boone figured he would have been able to get back to land by himself and he was in much less need of help than the other woman was. He was just angry because the saving of his life ended in the death of someone else who seemed to need the help more.

I was speaking idiomatically.
stormshadow
Syklis Green

Member 171

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:09 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:09 PM #6 of 1091
I am a huge Lost fan. This and Invasion right after it are my 2 favorite shows on TV right now. The mystery of the island is slowly starting to be unveiled.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:44 PM #7 of 1091
I am a die-hard fan of Lost, in case no one had noticed. ^_^

To be honest though, last night's episode was forseeable. I mean, yea they threw in a nifty twist with the whole uh....
Spoiler:
disguise thing with the Others.

And I am not completely convinced that Danielle and Alex are the good guys. I want to know what The Other's intentions were with trying to obtain Aaron. It seems apparent that they only want "good" people, based on what Goodwin said. I imagine they're good people too. I don't know.

Also, Alex is fucking hot.

FELIPE NO
Agent Olive
Desert Rose

Member 249

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:00 PM #8 of 1091
Last night's episode was awesome, one of the best for season two. I didn't expect them to reveal so much in one episode, the show has really picked up the pace lately.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:49 PM #9 of 1091
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
And I am not completely convinced that Danielle and Alex are the good guys.]
I dunno, is anyone "good"? It seems like every character has done some shit in their past, or if they haven't done it directly, they've been associated with it. Those who appear good now seem to have the potential to do something bad.

The only people I could vouch for are perhaps Rose, Sun, or Hurley. And even at that, any given flashback could totally change our perception of them. (Unless they're Sawyer, in which case the writers seemed to make an effort at him being the most two-dimensional and single-minded character EVER.)

I think the Others, at heart, aren't really "bad". I don't think their plan is to take over the planet or some obviously sinister stuff like destroy it. They just need to get something (they at least think is) important done, and they're willing to do some pretty nasty things to do it.

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:53 PM #10 of 1091
Originally Posted by Legato
The only people I could vouch for are perhaps Rose, Sun, or Hurley.
Spoiler:
Ever looked at the extras on the S1 DVD? They marked Hurley as a redshirt. ;_;

Quote:
I think the Others, at heart, aren't really "bad". I don't think their plan is to take over the planet or some obviously sinister stuff like destroy it. They just need to get something (they at least think is) important done, and they're willing to do some pretty nasty things to do it.
Spoiler:
I am of the school of thought that the end of the world has already been brought about. Theres some huge theory out there that link 108 to a very real satellite (did I spell that right) which sends images back and forth every 108 minutes - much like the button. There are names that are related to this theory. I wish I had a copy of the theory on hand. Its a really interesting one.

But I think the end has already come, and Dharma or the Hanso Foundation (benefactor) has hand-picked a selection of people to start it all over again.

Who knows.

Was I the only one who was REALLY SAD when Locke didn't push the button on time, it flipped to red hieroglyphs, and then went back to 108? Man. I was pissed. I wanted to see that fucker go. There was a lot of mechanical noise when it happened - probably from the magnetic reactor or whatever - inside the Swan.

rockthepartay

Member 693

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:10 AM #11 of 1091
Legato, I agree that his frustration stemmed more from other things i.e. his relationship with his father, but I just felt that it was pretty sudden with no real build up to it. Yeah, Jack and Locke argued earlier in the episode, but they've done that dozens of times.

I guess what I was really waiting for was Locke to say his famous line "don't tell me what I can't do" to Henry. It would have made the scene great.

Quote:
Henry, who actually is a brilliant dude (check other LOST forums for how Henry saw a painting of a balloon on a wall in the bunker most likely derived his story based on recent news about a balloon flight)
Spoiler:
Yeah, I'm hearing that Henry Gale is a fake name, and that he took it from The Wizard of Oz (Henry was Dorothy's Uncle). That would explain the whole balloon story as well, but I did not notice the painting of the balloon so that could be an explanation as well.

So, yeah. It's pretty obvious Henry's story is bogus. He was more than likely going to the camp to make another "list" that Ethan never accomplished. Or not. Who knows.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:47 AM #12 of 1091
Spoiler:
Ever looked at the extras on the S1 DVD? They marked Hurley as a redshirt. ;_;
I watched it, but 20+ hours of video quickly gets compressed in the brain. I don't know to what you are exactly referring.

Spoiler:
I am of the school of thought that the end of the world has already been brought about. Theres some huge theory out there that link 108 to a very real satellite (did I spell that right) which sends images back and forth every 108 minutes - much like the button. There are names that are related to this theory. I wish I had a copy of the theory on hand. Its a really interesting one.

But I think the end has already come, and Dharma or the Hanso Foundation (benefactor) has hand-picked a selection of people to start it all over again.

Who knows.
At this point in the show, I take any theory with a grain of salt. You weren't the only person who thought that
Spoiler:
there were two groups of Others
. Lots of people thought that. I didn't think that to such an extent, I thought there were multiple groups of survivors with varying levels of understanding of the island. But yeah, how many theories have turned true? Fuck, think about the things that have been revealed that are significant but haven't been theorized about. Then think about the things that were theorized about that NOBODY got right. NOBODY thought what is true about the others. I haven't heard a single theory that even came close. In the end, the answer was so simple and obvious it was very difficult to guess. LOST seems to be complex where it could be simple; simple where it could be complex. It's what you least expect. The first time we heard the monster, first thing pops into most of our heads is "dinosaur." It turned out to not be a dinosaur or anything LIKE a dinosaur.

Although Season 2 has mostly sucked and I feel that no season will be as great as Season 1 (maybe the last season, I dunno), I have to give props to the writers for making it this way. Even knowing this now, I bet that our theories will continue to be pretty bad. Even though some of them bring up valid points.

Was I the only one who was REALLY SAD when Locke didn't push the button on time, it flipped to red hieroglyphs, and then went back to 108? Man. I was pissed. I wanted to see that fucker go. There was a lot of mechanical noise when it happened - probably from the magnetic reactor or whatever - inside the Swan.
I was sad that it didn't mean anything.

They hyped it to be a huge deal, and even though something might have happened, nothing appeared to have happened. Not only that, but it was seemingly 100% reversible.

There was a lot wrong with this part. For one, if something BAD happened or something GOOD happened or NOTHING happened, let the audience know. Let them anticipate. Right now I don't know what to think. Maybe some bad shit will happen later? Maybe Locke fixed it. Maybe they're about to get rescued (doubt it, but still.) But nothing told you. Nothing let you know either way. This is bad mystery, this is anti-suspense.

And then, hype. The numbers are important. Or at least we've been told this. We're supposed to believe they're the difference between the survival or destruction of the planet. We are left to wonder whether this is true or not, but this is what we've been told. The button is important. So if you hype the timer running out, we expect something. Either the end of the world is going to come, or we find out the numbers don't mean shit, or we find out something that at least leaves us thinking. Basically, it moves the plot at least A LITTLE.

Heiroglyphics only leaves us wondering, "Hey, I wonder what they mean?" Cut to a few hours after the show has aired and you'll find that on a forum. (I'm SURE the writers are taking into account the discussion of every last frame of their show on the internet.) Heiroglyphics leave us wondering, "How the fuck is this practical at all? Who put that there? So what?"

Answering a question with a question isn't bad. It can be fun, if it moves the plot even a smidgen. But this is a dead-end question. It cannot truly be discussed or theorized, because it's so obscure and vague.

I have been disappointed so much by false hype that I didn't think "Maternity Leave" could actually be good. I figured, "Oh hay, they're going to find another bunker, maybe see some stuff in it. No one's going to ask questions about it, or tell anyone about it. Might be some stuff in there that will be theorized about." I didn't expect an actually complete episode.

Last edited by Eleo; Mar 3, 2006 at 12:50 AM.
rockthepartay

Member 693

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:29 AM #13 of 1091
I don't think explaining the relevance of the heiroglyphics will be a problem for the writers.

Explaining the origin of an intelligent mass of smoke that runs around reading people's minds, destroying trees in its path, and sometimes killing people, on the other hand, will be the most difficult task.

And if that is not answered in a satisfying manner to the audience, I wouldn't be surprised that a large amount of fans will give up on the show. Because, at least for me, the monster was one of the most intriguing aspects of the show when I first watched it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:23 AM #14 of 1091
I personally think that when the others are taking "good people" they are talking about "good" for experiments they might be doing. I dont know, who knows what twist they will throw out there next.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:10 AM #15 of 1091
Because, at least for me, the monster was one of the most intriguing aspects of the show when I first watched it.
Same here, actually.

And I was expecting... A monster. I was actually expecting a bionic beast of some sort; some terrible experiment gone wrong. But most of all, I was expecting something to always fear. I was expecting that every trip into the jungle was accompanied by the tension of whether or not the monster was going to come and kick something's ass. At the earliest point in the show, the monster was the enemy.

As time went on, it became more like a "weapon" or a "device" and less like a monster. You'd almost think this would make it more interesting. I guess the huge uncertainty in its nature could make it so, but the fact that it's only ever actually harmed one person makes it seem less and less malevolent and more and more of a joke.

The setup didn't match the payoff. The recently reran the pilot. If you watch the scene where they first hear the monster on the beach, you see the tallest trees shaking, the loudest of a roar. I expected something massive and terrifying, but...

Locke faces it. It falsely kills Shannon in a dream. It tries to capture Locke instead of catching it. Eko faces it. For a season and a half it's been pretty lame. I feel cheated.

I'm hoping there's more to it. I'm hoping that maybe it can grow to be massive or maybe we'll see it kill something in real time (or fuck, see it more than twice a season.) Dunno about that, though.

JJ Abrams has a serious problem of turning simple shit into sci fi. I remember when Rambaldi popped up into Alias. It was believable within a this-can't-be-how-the-real-CIA-operates context, and yet out of place at the same time.

LOST was probably the same way.

"So they crash on this island... Hmm wait, what if there's a monster... Hmm... Not a dinosaur, that's too obvious... A giant bionic lab experiment... Hmm... No... SMOKE. I GOT IT. SWIRLING SMOKE. Hmm... Needs to be a reason for that though... Some kind of research group... Yeah... The island produces unique electromagnetic emissions which drew them in... A bunker... Maybe some random numbers... Psychics... Need a couple psychics... And... A sickness! There's gotta be some kind of sickness! Random whispers.... Okay... It feels like I'm missing something. Hmmmm...

"I got it.

"Heiroglyphics.

"Gonna need 10 million bux for this one."

FELIPE NO
Top Dollar
Still Alive And Kickin'!

Member 546

Level 9.70

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 07:56 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:56 PM #16 of 1091
Just a little heads-up on the soundtrack. Varese Sarabande updated its site with detailed information about it:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/detai...D066%2D721%2D2

Rejoice!

BTW, it's good to be back.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:05 AM #17 of 1091
I'm also curious as to what happens if and when...

Spoiler:
They let the timer in the hatch run out. When it ALMOST did in one of the latest episodes, we saw symbols from the DHARMA Initiative station's logos. Like the Swan, from their hatch, and the Arrow from the room that Ana Lucia's group was hiding in. Wonder what happens...

Interesting, very interesting...

The latest episode was really creepy too. I love how they did it.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:07 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 02:07 PM #18 of 1091
39. 2-15 215 1 Mar 06 Maternity Leave
40. 2-16 216 5 Apr 06 The Whole Truth
41. 2-17 217 12 Apr 06 Lockdown

O_O

Oh well, second season was okay so far, there have been a lot of episodes which were terribly boring, and some people, especially Jack, became sort of super assholes. Haven't watched the recent one, but the one with Sayeeds flashback was pretty good after all.

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:33 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 03:33 PM #19 of 1091
This last episode really made up for some of the rather boring parts of season 2.

Spoiler:
I particularly loved the scene where Eko enters the holding cell of that captured guy and has his stick taken away by Locke:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8...31429279gk.jpg

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:45 AM #20 of 1091
Originally Posted by Sousuke
Spoiler:
They let the timer in the hatch run out. When it ALMOST did in one of the latest episodes, we saw symbols from the DHARMA Initiative station's logos. Like the Swan, from their hatch, and the Arrow from the room that Ana Lucia's group was hiding in. Wonder what happens...
Negative on symbols being stations.

As I said earlier, the heiroglyphics translated are causitive for "to die", as in "you gon' die".

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:04 AM #21 of 1091
Originally Posted by Musharraf
Oh well, second season was okay so far, there have been a lot of episodes which were terribly boring, and some people, especially Jack, became sort of super assholes. Haven't watched the recent one, but the one with Sayeeds flashback was pretty good after all.
I have a theory the camp is going to completely split off into two sects. The good and the bad. Charlie is going to lead the dark and Sawyer will lead the light. (Shut up.) The producers said a few week ago on a podcast that Charlie is going to get more and more dark as time goes on.

And don't even get me STARTED on Jack. I fucking hate him.

I was REALLY pissed when Sawyer decided to put himself in the position of Island Sheriff. I didn't like the episode, I didn't like the point, I didn't find any of it particularly pertinent. "A tiger can not change it's stripes." Thats nice. Charlie did, but whatevs~

Also, does Claire REALLY ANNOY anyone else? I want to punch her in the face. I am glad Danielle did it for me. <3

How ya doing, buddy?
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:40 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 04:40 PM #22 of 1091
Okay can anybody tell me why everyone is getting totally annoying and retarded in this series? What the hell, even John Locke (MY FAVORITE JOHN "OPEN THE DOOR NOW, JOHN!" LOCKE!!) started to act like a retard.

What happened to my favorite series? ;_;

How ya doing, buddy?
VermillionFF7
Syklis Green

Member 58

Level 7.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:58 AM #23 of 1091
Do you guys think the writers and Locke are that stupid?

I think it's pretty obvious Locke was just ACTING that way in the end and hit the plates on PURPOSE to get Henry Gale to think he was being played.

He's probably going to even pretend to get played by Henry and let him go, then track him back to wherever he goes (most likely Othersland).

FELIPE NO
Dishonorably discharged from the Belkan Air Force.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:13 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 05:13 PM #24 of 1091
Originally Posted by Vermillion
I think it's pretty obvious Locke was just ACTING that way in the end and hit the plates on PURPOSE to get Henry Gale to think he was being played.
Okay i think i can't follow...

Blanka
Syklis Green

Member 1209

Level 8.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:15 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:15 PM #25 of 1091
I watched the first season, and liked it, but I really don't like the second season. Most of the characters annoy me, and that's something I just won't stand for. So.. I stopped watching.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] LOST