Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

magi's art dump March to April 06
Closed Thread

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:30 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 04:30 PM #1 of 24
magi's art dump March to April 06

Well, Sass suggested I paint a female pirate, I thought it would be interesting to do something like this, so here it is. There are two draft of sketchs.
Draft 1

Draft 2

Some of the lines and definition seem to disappear when I started to paint, maybe I should correct that...

This is work in progress.

I also work on some other stuff.

Cerberus and Tartarus.

Scarlet Forward image work in progress.

Comments and Criticism are all welcome.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaijima
Squeak the Dragon

Member 313

Level 4.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:02 PM #2 of 24
I think I like the Cerberus and Tartarus sketch best so far. The proportions on the human figure in the scene seem the most pleasing.

Most amazing jew boots
pyrus421
the sky remains the same as ever

Member 597

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:35 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:35 PM #3 of 24
I find the one with the person and the serpents around the guy pretty cool. I would picture the guy with kind of a blue aura around him. The setting is black or probaly a fire, and his and their eyes are glowing evil...Wait, I didn't notice he had a weapon lol.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:46 PM #4 of 24
Blue Aura? O.o

Well, he is a necromancer after all.

Here is an update on the Corsair women. The Necromancer I am still working on its line art.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:51 PM #5 of 24
dear God, magi - what talent. That pirate is so lovely. And I am so happy you're posting the progress as well! <3

Might I add I looooove the color pallet you chose for her. Dear God, you never fail at stunning me.

How many hours have you put into her thus far? I feel like I should be paying you. ^_^

Most amazing jew boots
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:44 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:44 AM #6 of 24

Its probably about 4 hour so far. Although I Dont' really keep procise count. Tidy up a little, but it probably won't look too different from this point. There will be incrimental changes from area to area, but those changes are not going to make a huge impact on the visual overall.

How ya doing, buddy?
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:36 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:36 PM #7 of 24
I know you've told me before that you like doing this, but making everything shiny when in life it really isn't, merely distracts from the things that ARE meant to shine, such as the sword hilt and boots. The proportions and features are great but she looks like she's wearing nothing but latex, and her face is way too shiny too. This could be a futuristic pirate though so if it is, disregard what I just said. Most fabrics/furs don't gleam though.

FELIPE NO
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:37 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 04:37 PM #8 of 24

Well, the process of painting this image (at least digitally) is similar to the real painting, so I do mark my highlight. but you are right, of course.
4 hours 39 minutes.

Edit:
Some new stuff as I experiement with 100lb bristol boards. Deana and Alex

I used digital camera because the board is 11''X14''. It is too large for my scanner. Still at the pencil at the moment. I'll probably cut it up for scanning.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Magi; Mar 4, 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Aeristilheartly
Banned

Member 1650

Level 4.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:53 PM #9 of 24
Oh wow, just looking at the progress you're making and how fast you're able to do it, it's a wonder, it's beautiful work to say for sure and how you keep adding and are able to hide the old colors behind it and stimulate the rest of the painting to pop out is just amazing, very envious work, can't wait to see the rest of your paintings in their finished positions ^_^ And keep posting the progress updates for sure, they are just as amazing as the painting and even gives the painting a more stunning effect comparing them to your finished work ^_^

Are you on Deviantart? If you are please post your works, I would love to favorite them ^_^

ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:42 AM #10 of 24
I love your style of painting. it's very loose and free. adds a lot more character to it than a more mechanical method would.

what program are you using? my computer is some how unable to handle photoshop, so it makes me sad that I can't even attempt stuff like this anymore haha. you're doing a great job~

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:15 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:15 PM #11 of 24
Aeris: Hey, thanks for the comment, and favorite on deviantart, even though I don't frequent there much, but I'll be putting some finishing work on there too, if I ever finish one. >.>;;

ava lilly: Heya ava lilly, haven't seem you for a while. O.o;; Thank you for the comments. I am using OpenCanas 4 with a tablet. Even though much smaller then photoshop to run, it can still be a memoriy hog when running on large resolutions.

Another image from the work in progress rotation. Characters from here. and recently, here.

DCII764II00
Autumn Reign

Member 934

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:13 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:13 PM #12 of 24
Holy smokes..
That's just amazing... truely amazing.. You really know how to capture an image in color... I love it, LOVE IT... Omg that's just priceless..? Have you thought about selling these ? I really think you could make a pretty penny off your work... That's just awsome.. Good job..

.dc

Most amazing jew boots
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:52 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:52 AM #13 of 24
It's nice to see how magi's art improved over time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:50 AM #14 of 24
Magi, thats absolutely beautiful. I love how you have this absolutely uncanny ability to know exactly what I am imagining in my head. ;_;

I love the details you've added - are you doing up cannons behind her?? I wish I put it on a canvas and hang it in my room. All your stuff is wonderful. ;_;

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:38 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 05:38 PM #15 of 24
DCII764II00: Hey, thanks for commenting.

Sassafrass: Hmm, those are not cannons, I was planning to swtich her background to an indoor setting, so those are suppose to be the windows for the ship, although I still not sure what to put behind her at the moment, so it is scratch over for now.

Originally Posted by vemp
It's nice to see how magi's art improved over time.
Sometimes I wish you would be more critical, as I know you could. You know, even though I get kick in the ass by someone who knows what they are talking about once in a while, I'll in end become a better artist because of it. The reason that I post work in progress instead of just completed work (despite the fact that I spend much longer time on specific single pieces then most people here) is that I could get comments and criticisms which makes a difference, particularly from people that I respect. Even though I'll always be the one that decides what is considered to be valid or invalid criticism directed towards me, it is important that, as an artist, to be continually challenged.

Corsair (work in progress, 5 hours)

Its hard to imaging that between this and last one is about an hour of work. Since after I look over it for a bit, the difference is quite subtle. There are some bits and pieces that I am working over to tidy up a little. Although It doesn't look much different afterward. I am still trying to decide whether to put her in an indoor setting or outdoor. Any suggestion on the backgrounds are greatly appreciated.

Arrowyn's Room (sketch)

This is one of those attempt at working on something other then characters. Mostly results of boredom at work. I tried to make the sofa on the left seem tilted to an angle by making it conformed to another vanishing point on the horizontal point, but apparently I failed. It seem like it is pointing in an awkward direction, and so does the table. Those where added after the tile is shaded in though. This is also part of the design work that I am doing for the comic that I am working on.

Pandora(web icon, for my website)

A quick, low resolution image done in a style that seemly consistent of anime style cell shading. The detail does not justify the image to be any larger then what it is now though.

Scarlet Forward (Work in progress, 10 hours)

Another image work in progress, coloring for both the background and character with the line art is at its 10th hour. Its at the point where the detail in the coloring is quite distictive enough for it to go without line art at all, but for some reason it still looks somewhat unbalanced after the line art is taken off.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Magi; Mar 8, 2006 at 12:52 AM.
Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:17 PM #16 of 24
I really, REALLY dig that Scarlet piece of yours, Magi. It's so very dinamic and awesome in just about every way ;_;

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:14 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 06:14 PM #17 of 24
Thank you for your compliment Seris. There are still a lot of work to be done though. >.>;;

Corsair (work in progress, 6 hours)

Continuing some of the details additions and tidying up the edges, works around face a bit. I am trying to kick up the saturation some more without using filters.

Here is something different:
F-22 Raptor(Work in progress, build 10b)

This is a 3D model that work on using a program called anim8or. I have been working on this for couple of months on and off now. I have finally rigged some of the aileron, elevator, the thrust vectors. Although I have not rigged the rudders yet. Someone please tell me exactly how aileron and elevator works, because when I tried to animate it, it doesn't make much sense. ;_;

Hathor Prob (work in progress,
video is about 2MB wmv, click on the image for video, or right click to download.

Its a sort of conceptual thingy. The music really doesn't have any correlation to the action the screen, but I am thinking about adding something to change that.This is a draft rendering, so it is use mostly to work out the timing and the sequence.

Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:31 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 01:31 AM #18 of 24
Basically when your ailerons/elevator goes up, the plane pitches up. When it tilts downwards, the plane pitches to point downwards. If on one side the aileron is up and the other side it's down, the plane rolls. The rudder controls the yaw of the plane (turning the nose left or right). I guess depending on where the aileron is dictates if it is used to pitch the plane up or down. With a fighter plane they are near the tail, so could be used to alter the pitch, but i'm not certain if it's needed in addition to the movement of the elevator.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/alr.html
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/elv.html

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint; Mar 9, 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:45 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 06:45 PM #19 of 24
Originally Posted by Ulysses
I guess depending on where the aileron is dictates if it is used to pitch the plane up or down. With a fighter plane they are near the tail, so could be used to alter the pitch, but i'm not certain if it's needed in addition to the movement of the elevator.
I see. Heh, in the stock sequence I made, I had the vector thrust, aileron and elevator all move in the same direction and the plane pitch up, I guess that's probably incorrect. >.> You sounded like you have seem the video.

Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:51 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 01:51 AM #20 of 24
Which video do you mean? I know from making paper airplanes with flaps at the back ^_^. Those NASA pages are pretty informative too.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:58 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 06:58 PM #21 of 24
I made a video testing the particular sequence where the airplane pitches up, trying to get the timing right, it is suppose to pitch right after the control surface change direction, not at the same time. Although having all the control surface does that probably doesn't make sense in real life, but I don't know how it would work on F22.

How ya doing, buddy?
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 09:06 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 02:06 AM #22 of 24
I think I saw that but it was a while ago. How about some of these video clips?

http://www.f22-raptor.com/media/video_gallery/#

Go for the larger-sized clip called "Dangerous". You'll see the flaps moving. Also bear in mind that the higher the speed of the craft, the less the aileron has to be adjusted to get the plane to roll.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint; Mar 9, 2006 at 09:14 PM.
Clon
Rousteinireā„¢

Member 2435

Level 5.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 09:30 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 06:30 PM #23 of 24
Waahh Magi you have gotten way better the last time I saw you. I'm jealous of your perfect human anatomy technique. (??) Love they way you color too, the pirate is starting to turn out very nice. Keep it up!

Oh yah the first pirate's face look alot like Lust from FMA, which is pretty cool!

- Clon

How ya doing, buddy?
Come visit my DA page
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:23 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 02:23 AM #24 of 24
Wow! The pirate is amazing! Excellent detail and coloring. I also really love the style and feel of Arrowyn's Room. I agree with the sofa, but it actually isn't that awkward.

Most amazing jew boots
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > magi's art dump March to April 06