Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Anybody here listen Electronica? (Trance etc)

param
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2575

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:20 AM #1 of 38
Anybody here listen Electronica? (Trance etc)

Or am i here the only hardcore fan of the genre??

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:53 AM #2 of 38
I'm slowly getting into some kinds of electronica. There are way too many subgenres and it's confusing as hell. Right now I find that I have a preference for Ambient stuff like Boards of Canada and Brian Eno. I really haven't listened to much though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:01 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 08:01 AM #3 of 38
Yeah, it seems there are even more electronic subgenres than there are metal subgenres.

Anyway, I don't listen to much electronica, but there is Aphex Twin. And the Rapture, if that counts.

How ya doing, buddy?
batgnome
Carob Nut

Member 1588

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:29 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 08:29 AM #4 of 38
I mostly like Psy Trance stuff. Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, 1200 Micrograms..shit like that. I occasionally listen to downtemp ambient stuff like Saafi Brothers, and every now and then I'll listen to Goldfrapp or Aphex Twin. Boards of Canada, Air, Orbital, Amon Tobin; I have a few selected tracks that I listen to while completely ignoring the rest hah.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:35 AM #5 of 38
Electronica, when done well, can be extremely satisfying. I mean, technically speaking, most VGM is electronica, but the earlier chiptunes especially. As long as there is a decent structure and melody, electronica is welcome on my hard drive. A good example of this would be the score to "K-PAX" by Edward Shearmur.

However, if by "techno" you mean "trance" or "eurotrash dancebeat," I would have to say that I am among that genre's mortal enemies, hunting down listeners and composers alike and killing them like dogs. [/hyperbole]

The repetitive nature of most trance, with hardly anything in the way of variations or interludes, provides a good cue to stomp your feet or shake your thang, but little else. In a dark and sweaty nightclub, where the object is not aesthetic appriciation of music but to collide and score with members of the opposite sex, trance serves its purpose. But I would never listen to it for enjoyment unless it was connected to a very strong, very positive memory.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:32 PM #6 of 38
Since I do not like to classify genres, I'll just say that yes, I like Electronica. There isn't a specific reason, if it is satisfying to listen to, then I like it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 05:11 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:11 AM #7 of 38
Since we're talking about this, I enjoy music from an artist called Amon Tobin. I have no clue what genre it is, is it like ambient and electronica? Someone should know? Schadenfreude?

Also, I do enjoy stuff like Das Ich sometimes, but that's called EBM right?. Other than that, electronica is not my thing really.

FELIPE NO

xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 05:57 PM #8 of 38
Nah, you're not the only fan of this genre. I love electronica too as well as Eurodance/hard trance/tribal and some Happy Hardcore. The strong repetitive beats just appeal to me I guess. =)

As for Amon Tobin, he's under many genres like dark ambient, drum and bass, electronica, downbeat, etc.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by xSummonerYUnax; Mar 10, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:30 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 04:30 PM #9 of 38
Meh, I listen to some electronica.

In the form of VGM remixes.

If you do not go download the Bound Together project, you deserve to DIE.

Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:01 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:01 AM #10 of 38
Originally Posted by xSummonerYUnax
As for Amon Tobin, he's under many genres like dark ambient, drum and bass, electronica, downbeat, etc.
His music is just awesome. Do you know any other similar artists? Preferrably with free downloads on their website or something.

Most amazing jew boots

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:38 PM #11 of 38
Does Juno Reactor count? They have a few good tracks. Overall I find this to be a pretty shitty genre in general.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:55 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 05:55 PM #12 of 38
Boards of Canada is Electronica?! This is news to me. I always placed them in Ambient and downbeat (Same as with Amon Tobin).

Favorites in Electronica include: Aphex Twin, DJ Tiesto, Daft Punk, DJ Liquid, Oakenfold (Some of his stuff anyway, not all of it), The AyuTrance Remixes, Everything But The Girl, System F, and some others.

I've also enjoyed Goa from time to time, but some of it gets annoying real quickly.

Can anyone recommend other artists that are kinda like Boards of Canada or Amon Tobin?

Most amazing jew boots
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:40 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:40 PM #13 of 38
Ooooh is this going to turn into another shitfest where the so-called "hardcore" fans rag on the less hardcore for not being hardcore enough? I hope so.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:49 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 08:49 PM #14 of 38
I really like Electronica music. One of my friends had a burned mix of some of that style of music and I loved it. I would try to get into that style of music more, but I am really shooting for nothing if I were to go out and buy an album of that sort.

I don't have any idea about any of the bands that create the music, but I do know from what I have heard, I really enjoyed.

Most amazing jew boots
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:11 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:11 AM #15 of 38
I enjoy electronica music. Big fan of Daft Punk, Iio, DJ Tiesto, Darude, and Armin Van Buuren.

FELIPE NO
Shinka
Supercop

Member 1946

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:19 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:19 PM #16 of 38
I'm a big house and ambient fan. Some of my favorite artists are: Daft Punk, Armand Van Helden, Olav Basoski, Basement Jaxx.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:19 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 09:19 AM #17 of 38
Trance is awesome as long as it's not too hardcore. Scooter would be the maximum I could deal with. I just hate hardcore trance that doesn't make any sense anymore, if you know what I mean. But as for ordinary trance, my favorites would be Paul van Dyk, Armin van Helden, Gouryella, 4 Strings and ATB =D

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:41 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 04:41 AM #18 of 38
I am not too informed on the "who's who" in the electronica genres, but I definitely like the stuff. When I list the types of music that I like, I usually just say "classical, jazz, and techno/electronica."
Also, when I need some help staying awake while at work, I put on my headphones and just stream some trance or techno from Germany. It really works wonders for me. Almost like caffiene.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bronze
z0mg Oblivion

Member 2659

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:55 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 09:55 PM #19 of 38
I'm a huge fan of Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Darren Tate, Paul Van Dyk, ATB, and many more artists who've already been listed in here.

I'm also loving Above & Beyond's new album at the moment.

How ya doing, buddy?

Now Listening to Monkey: Journey To The West
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:12 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:12 PM #20 of 38
I'm a decent fan of trance/dance/house/that sort of shit. I used to be really keen on it but I just lost my appetite for it. I still listen to some of it though, and I do still like it.

I prefer drum'n'bass, though. Very much so. I guess when you're talking about "conventional" electronica (meaning the stuff more typically associated as being "electronica"), drum'n'bass would be my favourite genre. With hardcore/gabber a close second.

All that lounge/jazzy electro stuff is nice too.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:18 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 04:18 AM #21 of 38
This may or may not tickle the fancy of many electronica heads, but a while ago I stumbled upon this group called Birdy Nam Nam. It's 4 DJ's who mix all their songs using nothing but turntables and mixers. To the average ear it sounds like something that would be made by your standard-issue electronica band so maybe some of you may be interested. You never know.

I posted the album for download in the GFF Music Exposure Club if you guys want to give it a spin your MP3 players.
http://gamingforce.com/forums/showth...2847#post22847

Traumatized Rat
Final Fantasy VI

Member 294

Level 31.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:01 AM #22 of 38
Originally Posted by param
Or am i here the only hardcore fan of the genre??
Well, I've listened to Electronica here and there but I'd hardly qualify as a hardcore fan. I'm more schooled as a classical musician but I appreciate many genres ranging from Jazz to Fusion to rock, to blues, to punk and yes, Electronica. Within this wide Genre, I think my favorite sub genres are pre-trance techno, if that makes sense. I also like trance (yes, I know trance is wussy techno) as well as jungle and drum 'n bass. I especially like the jungle that is more jazz influenced with the sax, keyboard and vocal work.
Another kind of Electronica I find interesting and engaging is goth / industrial. I find the driving rhythms and energy to be motivating and great for pumping irons to. Ambience is also cool.

How ya doing, buddy?
gaara-chan
Bonkler

Member 73

Level 10.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:38 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 04:38 PM #23 of 38
Originally Posted by Traumatized Rat
Within this wide Genre, I think my favorite sub genres are pre-trance techno, if that makes sense.
Not really.

Quote:
I also like trance (yes, I know trance is wussy techno)
Trance and techno are nothing alike, fortunately. You people really have a hard time defining "Techno", methinks.

Quote:
I especially like the jungle that is more jazz influenced with the sax, keyboard and vocal work.
That would be Liquid Funk. And yes, it is in my opinion the best sub-genre of DnB. Try some stuff from Hospital Records sometime. If you're interested, I can hook you up with some.

So uh, yeah. Currently my favourite genre is Drum and Bass and all its sub-genres, like Jungle and Liquid Funk. Also enjoy listening to techno from time to time, and Early Rave. (Shin probably knows what i'm talking about, here).

I used to go to those huge raves and stuff, but I've kind of lost interest in them. Dunno why, maybe it's the crowds that don't appeal to me. Meh, maybe I should go get a ticket for some event again sometime.

FELIPE NO
xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:03 PM #24 of 38
Originally Posted by Syndrome
His music is just awesome. Do you know any other similar artists? Preferrably with free downloads on their website or something.
Hmm...if you're looking for free downloads, this is the best I can do.

http://www.audiostreet.net/genres.aspx

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:29 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:29 PM #25 of 38
More liek Candle Tree's FTP amirite? I'll check it out when I can.

Infected Mushroom and Massive Attack are good shit too. IM is Goa and MA is... well I'm not entirely sure. I do like how one of thier songs was used as the 'theme' song for House.

Also, I still never got an answer to my question: Artists to check out based on that I like Boards of Canada & Amon Tobin, and Massive Attack as well?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Anybody here listen Electronica? (Trance etc)