Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Hey you! Get in the line up!

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:36 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 07:36 PM #1 of 29
Hey you! Get in the line up!

After reading the gaming forums for a bit and reading up on some details for the PS3 and Wii launch, this has gotten me to think how long some lines up are going to be. I don't know the details and the units and such, but I'm willing to bet people are going to wait a very long time for whatever consoles they might desire.

So, folks, what's the longest time you've waited in line for ANYTHING, whether it be a movie, a hot dog stand, a previous video game console (Xbox 360 comes to mind), a new department store opening up. Whatever!

Furthermore, what would you think would be the maximum amount of wait time that you physically have to stay in line, and for what product/service/item?

I think the longest I've waited in line was about 2 and half hours for some rollercoster ride in Disneyland. God. >_> I think the only thing I'd stand in line for maybe 3 hours are one of those "once in a life time" things, like perhaps a concert featuring which ever my favorite piano concerto might be, especially if it's like a triple A rated pianist or the like.

I’m willing to bet some of you have probably waited the night and wanted to get in the store the next day, c’mon and fess up! What did you wait for and how was it like? I think the people I’ll never understand are those that lined up like a month before the opening of the Star Wars Episode 1 movie. Man oh man.

So, how about you?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

- What we all do best -
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:43 PM #2 of 29
Umm, like 6 hours or so for the midnight screening of Star Wars Episode 2. Then the film was so bad that it made me want to sleep through it.

I'll probably be pulling an all nighter for a PS3 so that I can sell it on eBay. If I consider the waiting work, and sell it for as much as I'm expecting, then I'll earn something like $70 an hour. I'll be with a friend and we'll be making frequent trips to Tim Hortons to pick up coffee or tea to warm us up, oh, and studying for our McGill finals by flashlight/battery powered lamp.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:47 PM #3 of 29
For long time waiting, Two events come to minds. First off was the PS2. I remember when I knew about the release date and I couldn't wait. I wanted to get a new system and in fact I almost got a Dreamcast instead. The second one was when I was waiting for College to start. I was waiting ever since the begining of the spring semester of my high school.

For short time waiting, I would have to say that the longest is a roller coaster ride at Carowinds in NC here. But the thing is that once I was at the coaster, I wasn't able to ride it because it was a little too small. Made me so upset that I just left the park.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

riceonfriday
I'm standing behind you

Member 1405

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:48 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 06:48 PM #4 of 29
Black Friday comes to mind, and I usually spend about 9-10 hours waiting in line at my local Fry's electronics. Although I don't know if you would consider it "being in line" since I'm usually lounging in a lawn chair the entire time.

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 08:08 PM #5 of 29
America and their black Fridays, I wish Canada had something similiar. When are your so-called knock out deals?

I was speaking idiomatically.

- What we all do best -
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:35 PM #6 of 29
I waited in line for 3 hours at Cedar Point to ride on the Millennium Force roller coaster the first week it opened. At the time, the coaster was the first one over 300 feet tall. It was a couldless day in the early summer too, so I was dying. Luckily they had set up fans around the line to cool people off.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:06 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 11:06 PM #7 of 29
Usually, for me at least, if it takes more then 30 minutes, its not worht waiting for. Unless, its something I REALLY love, such as waiting in line for the stock car races or along those lines. I remember going to Valley Fair in Minneapolis and we waited an hour or so for the bumper cars.... snooozzzzeeee.... ( and I didn't even get to drive because I was too short... )

FELIPE NO
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:20 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 10:20 PM #8 of 29
The longest i've been in line was for standing in line for Harry Potter 5. It took five hours for us to get in, but we were 30th in line (in terms of groups).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 11:54 PM #9 of 29
I remember trying to find this restaurant, Big Al's Steakhouse, in the middle of nowhere, and having some really horrible directions on how to get there. I was meeting up with a horde of LARPers. They had to wait for an entire section of the restaurant to open up, so they could all sit together. That bought me a lot of time. I was lost for two hours, and when I ended up getting there, I waited an additional two hours to sit down. LARPers are nuts, but the steak was fantastic.

I remember waiting three hours in line to see the movie "The Mummy". After that, I became a lot more particular about what movies I can't wait to see.

"I can make a scalpel sing, but that is my gift. The gift is not in my hands, for you see, I can play the notes [on a piano], but I can't make music."

~ Major Charles Emerson Winchester III
4077 M*A*S*H
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:19 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 05:19 AM #10 of 29
Black Friday at 6-8 in the morning at Best Buy. Had to get up early as hell to get there and get in line but man was it worth it.

Flatscreen monitor for the super cheap = <333333333333333333333333

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Craze
~Need a break~

Member 2021

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:35 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 07:35 PM #11 of 29
I think the longest would be 2-3 hours waiting up for that stupid lottery game organised by a supermarket. These people had like 30 cards in hand and held up the line forever.

I usually don't wait for more than half an hour for most stuff, no matter how much I want them.

Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:29 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 06:29 AM #12 of 29
The longest I waited in line for something was an X-Box 360, and it wasn't even for me. -_-;; Trogdor and I got to an electronics store at 6:00 pm the night before the release so she could get one, and since the store wasn't doing a midnight opening, we had a fourteen hour wait ahead of us. We were second and third in line, and it didn't start picking up until about midnight, so I guess we jumped the gun a bit. This was unfortunate, because it was freezing, and we had doubled up on socks and coats to stay warm. It was fun, though. We had chicken soup in a thermos and everything, and the people around us were fun to talk to. Most of them were parents, surprisingly.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:54 AM #13 of 29
2 hours at the doctor's office, since her was particularly late in her schedule one day. Either that or patients were coming late. Strangely, we're always the last ones to go in out of all the people that come in, regardless of whether the other people come in before or after.

Also 2 hours at a couple of debut(ante ball)s. Literally, if you tell a filipino family "5:00", they will honestly come at "7:00" or later, and I'm not even joking. So there's no point in ever coming on time since the actual event will start a minimum of two hours later.

For theme park rides, I can only bear to wait an hour, and only for the newest rides. I can have just as much enjoyment on older rides in the same amount of time. At Canada's Wonderland I got out of the line for the Italian Job stunttrack to go somewhere else, and my friends waited for an hour. The ride closed down before they ever got a chance to get on because of heavy rain.
>=)

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:03 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 02:03 AM #14 of 29
We stood in line for the Manifest 2006 convention last month so that we could get the weekend pass. We were supposed to have it all sorted out in 30 minutes because we pre-registered for the tickets, making the process even faster.

BUT NO. After 6 hours of WAITING in line because THEY DIDN'T PREPARE THE PASS CARDS, we FINALLY got to get it. Even screwed up was, they didn't show any anime or start any events on until 6 at night, when it was 6 hours later than scheduled.

The delay was because of the Pass Cards. SEriously, WTF cares about it? Just give us a piece of paper saying we payed!

Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:52 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 09:52 AM #15 of 29
The longest I stood in line for was to view Ronald Reagan's casket when it was in his library in Simi Valley. One of my friends and I spent five, six hours waiting in the parking lot of my community college for busses that were driving people up to the library proper, only then to wait another hour as we filed through the hallways to get to the room it was in.

Other episodes of milling around were mostly for rollercoaster rides at various theme parks, the longest being Space Mountain at Disneyland after it reopened from it's renovation. It was about two and a half hours wait, but worth every minute.

FELIPE NO
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:21 PM #16 of 29
3 hours for 3 min for The Riddler at Disneyland.

Thanks to Fjordor for the funny image!
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:57 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 06:57 PM #17 of 29
I've never stood in line for all that long. The longest that I can remember was probably 20 mins for the log flume at my local theme park, and it wasn't even that good.

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:34 PM #18 of 29
I am very much anti-waiting in lines. I think it is just so juvenile and pathetic. Unless it is something you never have a chance at again, like Superbowl tickets or something. But for game consoles that will ship more and more eventually, waiting in line to me is pathetic. Someone who is above 17 and mature should be able to wait for something.

Maybe it's just me, but to me it is just so childish and juvenile that they HAVE to have their little toy now. They are too spoiled that they can't wait. I have really never waited in line for anything other than lines(pedestrian traffic) walking out of a sporting event or something like that.

Patience people, patience. You'll get your little toy eventually. You don't need it right away.

Most amazing jew boots
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.

Last edited by DragoonKain; Oct 10, 2006 at 09:36 PM.
Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:33 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 09:33 PM #19 of 29
Originally Posted by DragoonKain
I am very much anti-waiting in lines. I think it is just so juvenile and pathetic. Unless it is something you never have a chance at again, like Superbowl tickets or something. But for game consoles that will ship more and more eventually, waiting in line to me is pathetic. Someone who is above 17 and mature should be able to wait for something.

Maybe it's just me, but to me it is just so childish and juvenile that they HAVE to have their little toy now. They are too spoiled that they can't wait. I have really never waited in line for anything other than lines(pedestrian traffic) walking out of a sporting event or something like that.

Patience people, patience. You'll get your little toy eventually. You don't need it right away.
Sometimes it's the experience of waiting in line that's fun. I waited in line for a long time for something I wasn't even getting myself. There are many other reasons people wait in line for certain things; how that automatically makes them spoiled is beyond me. Only ones I find spoiled are the ones that make their parents go out, wait and line, and buy the system for them. That's pretty nuts.

Last edited by Max POWER; Oct 10, 2006 at 10:36 PM.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:54 PM #20 of 29
To each his own. I can't for the life of me see how waiting in line can be an experience other than a bad one. Either out in the cold or the heat all day with the possibility of bad weather conditions, etc. Having to piss in a bush and not able to take a smash until you get home.

I've never waited in a long line to buy anything. Hell, I don't even wait on phone lines. If someone puts me on hold for more than a minute I hang up. Appointments were a great invention. You go in at your convenience and go out. Department stores and electronic stores should take appointments. Tell them you are coming in 2 weeks ahead of time to pick up a game and walk in and go right to the front of the line.

How ya doing, buddy?
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:09 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 09:09 PM #21 of 29
Quote:
Sometimes it's the experience of waiting in line that's fun.
That's true. I mean, I do think waiting in line overnight is a bit on the extreme for me, but I think that waiting in lines with friends or with chatty and nice people would highten the experience just for an hour or two at most. The only thing I'm looking forward to wait in line for is like the new FF game or something, which probably there'll be a line up where I am. I wish I could go with a friend ;___;

In a way it's funny that you're about talking about patience, DragoonKain, while you're not waiting for phone lines. I don't want to start anything or quarreling, just saying ya know.

- What we all do best -
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:17 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 09:17 PM #22 of 29
The longest I've waited in line would be when I had to stand around for two hours at the Department of Motor Vehicles. The weather was nice, but people at the DMV aren't very chatty. That was a very dull experience. The worst part, though, was that I was standing in line just to take a number so I could wait even longer, but after that point I wasn't technically standing in line. I was sitting in a chair and thankful I could finally sit down.

I had to earn my driver's license, no doubt about that.

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:23 AM #23 of 29
I went to Black Friday last year with my best friend and his older brother at Best Buy, and it was awesome. There were so many crazy people out there, we just brought a GBA and played Advance Wars, but some people had tents and a Risk game set up. I definitely want to do that again this year. Once a year I can handle, and I won't have to work the day of this time like I did last year.

FELIPE NO
JammerLea
Chocobo

Member 13045

Level 11.78

Sep 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:50 AM #24 of 29
I don't remember exactly how long I waited, but I know I waited a hell of a long time to get my badge when I went to Anime Expo 2003. Part of this may have been that we got confused and were in the WRONG line for a while. SIGH. Anime conventions. *shakes fist*

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:27 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 08:27 AM #25 of 29
In 1997 I waited three and a half hours to ride Space Mountain at Disneyworld Florida. Subsequently, the ride broke down and we had to wait another 45 minutes to finally get a look in.

In 2003 my brother, my father and I waited two hours to ride the Riddler's Revenge rollercoaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain. By the time we were in view of the boarding platform it had broken down, at which point dad embarrased the shit out of us by standing on a guardrail and screaming at the guys operating the ride. :/

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Hey you! Get in the line up!