Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Do you have an idea for a unique game? Share it!

sadikyo
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 12040

Level 1.60

Sep 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:13 PM #1 of 36
Do you have an idea for a unique game? Share it!

If you're like me, sometimes you just get tired of reiterations of the same types of games over and over again, with a few new additions and updated graphics.

Have you ever been sitting around and thought of a really cool idea for a video game that you haven't seen? Share it here, and provide as many details as you want! My hope is that people will share some of their ideas, and then if you are reading through the posts and know of a game that is already out there that is close to the same idea you can post the name or even a link so that people can find out about them.

Also, if you have been looking around and found a game that is quite unique and uncommon, please post that too - hopefully this will introduce people to some obscure and unique games.

For example (and this may sound strange!), one idea that I've had recently is for a unique little game where you start out in a big room, and when you walk toward a wall, you can walk onto the wall and the game around you moves to make the wall like the floor - essentially, the idea here is that gravity takes form wherever you actually walk, regardless of your relation to the earth, for example. In this way, you could access a variety of different places in a single environment, and this could work really well in a puzzle or platform type game.

Like the idea? Think its strange? Or even better, know of a game out there that's similar? Let me know!

Thanks

Jam it back in, in the dark.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 01:04 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2006, 03:04 AM #2 of 36
It's definately nothing new generally speaking, but I think a boxing game for the wii, using two wiimotes, would be sweet.

Your gravity idea would be interesting, I'd definately give it a try if it came out.

I'm not that sort of creative though, so no ideas like that from me :P

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 01:26 PM #3 of 36
Since I'm a roleplaying junkie, I'm always thinking of ways to freshen up the genre that will never come about because I have no programming skill.

One thing that I have often toyed with is the idea of a game that casts the player as a student watch member at a university. It would probably wind up being a sandbox-type game, mission-based, but with plenty of humor--a sort of Leisure Suit Larry meets Grand Theft University, of you will.

One thing I've really been aching for is a Galactic Sandbox type of game--something with a flight-combat-economics engine like Privateer but with planet surfaces explorable in 1st/3rd person. There'd be ship-to-ship combat and missions, as well as ground-based ones, with an economic model to boot. No such game will probably ever emerge, but I keep hoping.

Finally, I think that the gaming world is seriously lacking modern or near-modern roleplaying experiences, especially ones with decent firearms models. Why not have all the statistics, skills, customization, and story of an RPG but in a modern setting? It makes sense, but nothing like it has come up recently.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
sadikyo
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 12040

Level 1.60

Sep 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:01 PM #4 of 36
orion_mk3, I like some of your ideas - I think you're right about most RPGs - they're either set far in the past or far into the future, but it's rare to find one that is set in a current time period (there may be a few, but not too many). Perhaps the reason for that is that people find the other stuff more exciting / different, but I think it would be nice to see a few more 'modern' ones as you put it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the programming skills either to bring some of my ideas to reality, but its still neat to see what kinds of things people are thinking about - and like I said, if someone sees something really close to what you're talking about, they can post about it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 12:38 PM #5 of 36
I've got a bunch of ideas for games.

Of course there's Lizard Squad(c), a Cel-shaded platformer game like Metal Slug except with Lizards and it's in a cartoony environment. I can't really think of anything other than being my personal homage to the Metal Slug series which was one of the games that inspired me to start drawing the Lizards and also got me inspired to try and get into the gaming industry.

I wrote this in my ChocoJournal awhile ago:

There was this idea for a RTS game that I want to make dealing with animals. Basically, these animals are being kicked out of their homes by the humans who keep expanding their development of homes and businesses. You take control of a mountain lion who is sick of seeing the destruction caused by the humans, so he gathers up a few friends and they set out to kick out the humans by planting traps and sabatoging the construction work. You originally start with 8 other friends. If you lose a friend (either by capture or death), you can't get them back. However, if the main character is killed, the game is over. But if the main character is captured, you have an opportunity to save him before he is sent off (that would result in the game being over). I had the idea for this game about a year or two ago while I was thinking about how fast my hometown was growing.

There was a lightgun game that I thought up. It's a bit like Time Crisis and DDR (in terms of the step pad) If you hit one of the arrows on the pad, you can dive out and shoot. You can also use the step pad during cinematic sequences. For examlpe, the boss guy shoots a rocket at you and you have a few seconds to press the left or right step pad before you get hit. You can have the choice of using either one or two lightguns. In fact, the game will even encourage you to use both lightguns, as you could get combos for shooting an enemy multiple times!

I have a few other game ideas but they aren't very organized and detailed. They're very rough ideas of what I want the game to be.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Lizardcommando; Sep 3, 2006 at 02:46 PM.
sadikyo

Member 12040

Level 1.60

Sep 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 03:29 PM #6 of 36
Nice - now getting them to reality might be a little more difficult! Hehe, but ya never know

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 03:45 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 01:45 PM #7 of 36
Originally Posted by sadikyo
For example (and this may sound strange!), one idea that I've had recently is for a unique little game where you start out in a big room, and when you walk toward a wall, you can walk onto the wall and the game around you moves to make the wall like the floor - essentially, the idea here is that gravity takes form wherever you actually walk, regardless of your relation to the earth, for example. In this way, you could access a variety of different places in a single environment, and this could work really well in a puzzle or platform type game.

Like the idea? Think its strange? Or even better, know of a game out there that's similar? Let me know!
kiki the nanobot is a sliding-block game with that basic concept. You push blocks in order to make a path to the exit, but since the game is 3D and the direction of gravity depends on the perspective, it gets to be a brainbuster at times because you have to take into account not only the face of a block you push, but also your orientation because the block could fall in different directions.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
muhuee
Wark!

Member 12049

Level 1.73

Sep 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 04:26 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2006, 02:26 AM #8 of 36
Prey's kinda like that. You should tru it, unless of course you hate FPS's.

I had an idea for a game last year after playing Full Spectrum Warrior. I was frustrated by the game's mechanics so I go to thinking how they could be improved upon whilst being brought to the FPS (my all-time favourite) format.

I came up with something that blended the character stats system of both GTA: San Andreas and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (earning experience points you could earn from completing missions and objectives that you could then use to upgrade skills/weapons or weapon skills), the camera-view of Gears Of War ("Second-person" view) and team-based gameplay of Freedom Fighters, Star Wars: Republic Commandos and Full Spectrum Warrior (supression/cover fire, fire sector, defend, recon, regroup etc). Also, there'd be four different teams to play from the perpective of: Battlefield Soldier, Stealth Squad, Engineer/Spy; I'm kinda working on the fourth one.

I know you're probably going "What the fuck?!" but trust me the end thing would be kickass.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
{..:Void|dioV:..}

+ Minimalism. I likes. +

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2006, 06:46 AM #9 of 36
Second person view?

Viewing you character from the eyes of a different character? I dont understand how that would work in a game...

sadikyo

Member 12040

Level 1.60

Sep 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 07:11 PM #10 of 36
Muehee - i think that actually sounds kinda cool

CHz - thank you very much for the link! That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for in this thread, to find some games like the ideas presented (as well as just sharing new ones) - and that's the concept I was thinking about in the first place.

neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:38 PM #11 of 36
Originally Posted by CHz
kiki the nanobot is a sliding-block game with that basic concept. You push blocks in order to make a path to the exit, but since the game is 3D and the direction of gravity depends on the perspective, it gets to be a brainbuster at times because you have to take into account not only the face of a block you push, but also your orientation because the block could fall in different directions.
Good sir, I am most greateful for this link. I urge everyone to download this game and give it a try. It's insanely fun and just chalenging enough to cause one to pause and think, but not so difficult so as to make one leave the game and come back at a later time.

PS: The "ELEVATE" level gave me so much trouble until I figured out I can shoot the balls. I was manually moving the cogs and I almost got it until I figured to give shoot a try and instantly got it. So, a pro tip: there is an elegenat solution to every level.

Most amazing jew boots
Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:05 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 08:05 PM #12 of 36
Originally Posted by avanent
Second person view?

Viewing you character from the eyes of a different character? I dont understand how that would work in a game...
Kinda when you fight "The End" in Snake Eater maybe. If you get shot with his sniper, sometimes the camera changes to what he sees though the sniper. I think the controls are reverted, and you need to start running to find cover.

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |
daguuy
I am IronMan

Member 3545

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 08:51 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 07:51 PM #13 of 36
here's a game idea: you have an unlicensed big truck. it can be any kind as long as it's big and powerful (semi, bus, dump truck, etc...). the goal is to get across the country (like from new jersey to LA). here's the catch- you're an outlaw and the truc is stolen so you have to avoid being busted.

the only problem is that you'd have to model the entire country and that would be rediculously hard to do with a budget or timeframe.

Most amazing jew boots
Gamboy64 says "AAAIIIIIEEEKKKK!!!!!!" go to DAGUUY.TK! click the pic!
Menzoberranzan
Chocobo

Member 1470

Level 12.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:13 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 01:13 PM #14 of 36
I want to see a space-genre game where there are 2 gaming fronts to it. Say take Freelancer. You can explore space on one end like normal, but when you land on a planet u go into FPS mode like in a decent FPS like Half Life 2 or something. That would really make the game more cool.

How ya doing, buddy?

Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:23 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 09:23 PM #15 of 36
I have somewhat of a basic concept for an RPG. The idea focuses mainly around first-person interaction in the middle of a random battle or whatnot. Battles take place in real-time, and the player has control of the character (pretty basic stuff here). However, when the character wants to cast a spell, that character goes through a series of hand movements using the control stick/pad which sort of mimics spellcasting. If the character is more melee-based, then the control stick/pad could be used to swing the character's weapon. Movement could be used with the same control stick/pad since either character type could press a button to set their status to casting, (mages) fighting, (fighters) or walking.

This idea would be greatly improved with the Wii's controller.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Identity Crisis; Sep 9, 2006 at 11:27 PM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:42 PM #16 of 36
I'd make a first person adventure game. There are no firearms. There are power-ups to collect and powers to acquire by defeating bosses. Each boss holds the information to learn a new skill. It's set on an alien world, that actually has humanoid civilization, and the main character is a demon-looking fellow. The powers to be acquired would include phasing, increased strength, fire-throwing, fire-manipulation, enhanced jumping, and maybe a few items I have yet to think of. The power-ups would include defense bonuses (akin to health boosts) and enhancements to some skills. If enough defense bonuses are gathered, some weaker enemies wouldn't even be able to harm the main character. While picking up these skills, the main character eventually stumbles upon a side quest, to release an old, unfortunate being from his entrapment in another realm. His release requires the use of several items. And, as to be expected, this being will end up being the final boss. There'd probably be a whole cut scene or series of cut scenes where the powerful being begins ravaging the planet, where the people imprison the main character for his involvement, and where our hero confronts the problem.

Maybe that all sounds like it's been done before, but I usually try to blend things when creating ideas.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by avanent
Second person view?

It works like Super Mario 64.

Last edited by Acro-nym; Sep 9, 2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 09:54 PM #17 of 36
You're on a space station about to explore an uncharted planet. You have a crew of about 15, pilot and co-pilot, medic, a couple of scientists, a small military unit and other people. However it is bomarded by an attack, destroying the ship and half the crew, leaving a scientist, some military people and a few others alive. The translation unit is damaged and you do not know the language of the planet to communicate, so you much learn the actions through contextual context and searching for clues in speech.

An alternative to that would to set it on Earth, and make it more of an edutainment game for learning languages. Say you're an explorer and you go to China. You don't know the language but you learn it. I don't know the exact specifics of how it would be done at the moment, however research on early exploration would be key. Just a basic premise that I haven't given much thought to at the moment.

How ya doing, buddy?
Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:52 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 12:52 AM #18 of 36
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
It works like Super Mario 64.
That's third person view (although SM64 also features 1st person view). Seriously, what the hell...?

Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 03:05 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 05:05 PM #19 of 36
Originally Posted by Nintendonomicon
That's third person view (although SM64 also features 1st person view). Seriously, what the hell...?
Yes yes, as Nintendonomicon said, that is third person view. 3rd person view is the most common, 1st person is uncommon as the only option, but a fare ammount of games give the option, so, its farily common overall. Ive never heard of a game in 2nd person. Even books in second person are rare.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:51 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 10:51 AM #20 of 36
I was watching the discovery show future weapons and saw them use the corner shot weapon and thought it would be great in a video game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornershot
http://www.cornershot.com/

If programmed properly it would really add a new dimension to the game play, in stealth game how cool would it be to shot the bad guy from around a corner and since it has a camera it can be used to check the landscape with out leaving cover. While it whould be awesome for the gamer to use what I really want to see is the enemy AI programmed to use the weapon properly as well, it would add an extra challenge to be fighting enemy that can shot at you while fully behind cover. The old and still fairly reliably lure baddies to the end of hallway and mow them down as they rushing in would no longer work. It appear that one game, Nemesis Strike, will use this weapon but it not due out till march. Hopefully they will make good use of it.

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:52 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 05:52 PM #21 of 36
It's called Prey.

I was speaking idiomatically.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:48 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 10:48 AM #22 of 36
Originally Posted by Dan
I was watching the discovery show future weapons and saw them use the corner shot weapon and thought it would be great in a video game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornershot
http://www.cornershot.com/

If programmed properly it would really add a new dimension to the game play, in stealth game how cool would it be to shot the bad guy from around a corner and since it has a camera it can be used to check the landscape with out leaving cover. While it whould be awesome for the gamer to use what I really want to see is the enemy AI programmed to use the weapon properly as well, it would add an extra challenge to be fighting enemy that can shot at you while fully behind cover. The old and still fairly reliably lure baddies to the end of hallway and mow them down as they rushing in would no longer work. It appear that one game, Nemesis Strike, will use this weapon but it not due out till march. Hopefully they will make good use of it.

I believe that Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter has that weapon.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:51 PM #23 of 36
Originally Posted by Nintendonomicon
No, it's not. If you've ever seen a mirror in that game, there's a camera man. The who game is done from the point of view of the camera held by Lakitu.

FELIPE NO
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 04:05 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 10:05 PM #24 of 36
Originally Posted by Grawl
It's called Prey.
Yes. Thank you for your contribution, but muhuee already told us as much, and without being so insolent and pointless.

Here's my idea. The game would be a 2d vertical shoot-em-up, it would work with any control pad that has shoulder/trigger buttons, and at least two directional pads/sticks, one each side of the pad. Your ship in game is quite standard affair at first glance, but can only carry two different weapons at a time. Here's the gimmick; at any time you can seperate your ship into two halves. The two halves would be controlled simultaneously with their own dedicated directional control. Each half would have a single form of fire, operated by the trigger button corresponding to that halfs respective side of the control pad.

Things get more complex when you learn that using one half-ship to manuever behind and fire at the other half-ship, would produce an entirely new form of fire based off what weapons each ship half are carrying (so the one half-ship would be kind of absorbing the fire of the other, combining it with it's own weaponry, and then sending out a third form of firepower).

Imagine the posibilities.

Attacking: an enemy might have various moving organs and such, each with their own changing resistances to various weapons. By careful positioning and continued movement, weapons could be combined in the manner described to form various new weapons that exploit weaknesses. In another scenario, ignore the weapon combination aspect, and think of an enemy with two weak spots either side of its body, both requiring simultaneous sustained firepower to be exploited, thus requiring the ships to seperate and act independently at distance. Outside of specialist scenarios, half-ships would always offer a double rate of fire, and two points of dispersion, but obviously coming at the price of requiring much increased attention and maneuvering skill to keep both ship halfs intact.

Defense: One half-ship, through carrying a particular weapon, might be resistant to a certain form of attack; the player could use the mass of this ship to act as a shield for the other half-ship whilst that lays on the attack.

There's loads of ideas there if you use your imagination.

Last edited by Kolba; Sep 10, 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Rocca
is Finding Forever.

Member 609

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:12 PM #25 of 36
I've always thought that the premise behind a game where all you can do is jump would be great. No attacks, no coins to collect, just jumping around and over stuff. Tons of games have done this before, but one with no real objective except triple barrelling over trees and around a jungle and etc would be really exciting, albeit a breath of fresh air from the archtype construct in game (bosses, scores, etc). Simplicity is best sometimes.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Do you have an idea for a unique game? Share it!