Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Considering this card

SunGod
Carob Nut

Member 442

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:21 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 05:21 PM #1 of 6
Considering this card

I'm considering getting this graphics card: http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/scripts/pr...idproduct=1456

Mainly because of the price, now I'm guessing that it's cheap for a reason. Is it a really rubbish card? All I really want it for is the TV-out option and to play a few games: Counter-Strike 1.6, Guild Wars and for ePSXe use. I don't think my PC could handle any of the newer games anyway (Athlon 1Ghz, 256 SDRAM :lolsign

So basically; should I get this card? and if not, why not?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by SunGod; Jul 26, 2006 at 12:24 PM.
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:50 PM #2 of 6
i'd go with at least a radeon 9600 for guild wars. counter-strike 1.6 isn't bad (easy to render) and ePSXe will be limited to your CPU more than your graphics card, assuming you don't turn on all sorts of quality stuff.

also for guild wars, i'd recommend buying more memory, at least 512.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 01:13 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 12:13 PM #3 of 6
I agree with RushJet1.... Guild Wars is a graphically intensive game, especially so if you have Factions. Finding AGP cards can be difficult these days. One place that I have found for AGP cards is ATI's Refurb AGP Cards w/ Warranty are great buys. Specifically the X800XL is about as good of a AGP card as you can get for only $119 is a steal. This could get ou by fairly well with Oblivion. However, there are others like the 9800SE for $59 that would get you by ok too. This might make more sense if you plan on computer upgrading in the next 1-2 years. If you dont think you'll upgrade for 2-4 years, I'd definitely recommend the X800XL.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
SunGod
Carob Nut

Member 442

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:59 AM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 10:59 AM #4 of 6
Ah ok, yeah I've played Guild Wars on a friends PC and the graphics are pretty amazing (he has a nice computer) but even on the lowest settings Guild Wars wouldn't run on this card? I'm seriously not considering playing any other games and CS 1.6 and ePSXe should run fine on it, if Guild Wars will actually run then I would go and buy this card today.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:26 AM #5 of 6
i bet it would run, but really choppily. i have a friend who played it on a 6600GT on medium and ie was still a bit choppy.

I was speaking idiomatically.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:58 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 11:58 AM #6 of 6
You are looking at a card that is about $50 US. I really think that the other alternatives (9800SE or X800XL) will do you 3x or 10x (respectively) more for your money. You don't have to take the advice, but if you are going to buy Guild Wars, dont try to save $50 bucks because that difference will be the difference between you being able to enjoy the game. A great graphics card is rarely something you will regret buying later.... I suggest saving up a bit more and getting something (6600GT, 6800GT, X800XL, etc.) in the $100 range. It will be worth it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Considering this card