Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 02:52 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 02:52 AM #2376 of 3592
Haha wow. For a minute I thought that was you. Didn't you say you were thinking about auctioning off your PS3 earlier?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 02:54 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 02:54 AM #2377 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
That is the scariest thing I've ever seen on ebay, maybe the entire internet.

xman25

How ya doing, buddy?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2006, 07:02 PM #2378 of 3592
Quote:
Haha wow. For a minute I thought that was you. Didn't you say you were thinking about auctioning off your PS3 earlier?
Dude, I don't look anywhere near as hideous. I'm leary of sharing my photo online, but if more comments like that appear, I might have to.

The PS1 games are available now in the online store. There's Crash Bandicoot, Tekken 2, Syphon Filter, and a couple of others I didn't bother remembering. No Jumping Flash, no Silent Bomber. Disappointing, and the other games aren't worth my time (even though they're cheap).

Also, I've experienced PS3 in 1080p. Expect a journal entry on the subject soon.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 01:23 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 10:23 PM #2379 of 3592
Firmware 1.3 just came out for el PS3. Details are still in the air about what exactly it does. But people are complaining about something regarding 1080i. Doesn't concern me, since my monitor can't support that res.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Cobalt Katze; Dec 6, 2006 at 01:26 AM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 04:36 AM #2380 of 3592
Basically it sounds like the system automatically sets HDTVs to 1080i instead of 720p (it's debatable which is technically the best). As a result people are bitching up a storm.

Of course, the simplest method would be to simply uncheck 1080i in the display settings, but I think people prefer bitching about it online instead. I haven't had this problem with my new monitor, as the info still reads it as 720p.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 04:44 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 01:44 AM #2381 of 3592
Well, I actually had a quite glaring issue when I had first restarted after updating...

I had set my resolution setting to "auto", and for whatever reason it included 1080i in that bundle of resolutions. So when it started back up, it attempted to put me in 1080i... Which my monitor doesn't support, and thus I just got an error message on the monitor saying "please switch to a supported resolution." -- And I couldn't see anything at all. I tried shutting down, unplugging my HDMI cable, and starting up with S-video connected... no dice. It doesn't detect that the connection isn't being used, and so it seems you would have to change the setting before switching to a different input or else you won't get any image at all.

Thankfully, my memory of the XMB was pretty faithful... What I ended up doing was using the clicks of the XMB interface to find my way around. Clicked to the far left, moved over one... down to the bottom, then counted up 3 to Display. Then hit X a few more times and switched over to S-video. From there, I switched back to HDMI in 480p and added 720p to my resolution list, taking off 1080i. Now I shouldn't have any issues with it attempting to set my resolution to an unreadable one So, problem solved on my end despite peoples' bitching.

Most amazing jew boots
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 05:55 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 12:55 PM #2382 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
WORDS
Actually, I had the same problem when I had to connect my PS3. However, it seems like you have to 'push' the on/off thing for 5 seconds. That makes the PS3 switch A/V signal. It worked for me, anyway.

How ya doing, buddy?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 01:09 PM #2383 of 3592
Quote:
Jump it up!
Dark Resurrection to light up your PS3
Posted Dec 06, 2006 at 07:22AM by Mabie A. Listed in: News, Games Tags: Famitsu, Japan, Sony, Namco Bandai, PlayStation Network
coming to PS NetworkOkay, before all other speculations fly regarding Namco Bandai's Tekken 6 for the PS3, listen up, 'cause this one here's more imminent. Says Japan's Famitsu Weekly, Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection will be heading to the PlayStation Network's download service. Soon. Very soon.

Now, making it's way to your PS3 from your PSP, this version will be featuring full 1080p visuals, as well as the playable debut of Jinpachi. This boss character wasn't playable in the arcade version. Well, not anymore. Apart from that, the various modes in the arcade game will also get some makeover for the PS3, including arcade battle, ghost battle, and gallery.
-QJ.Net

That's actually pretty awesome. Could this be a new trend of downloading PS2/PSP games with 1080p support?

FELIPE NO
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 01:26 PM #2384 of 3592
Technically Tekken DR wasn't even a PD2 or PSP game. The PSP one was a stripped down version of the Arcade Tekken 5 2.0 DR, and it never made it to the PS2 as you know. So for die hard Tekken fans like myself, this will be the only version of the best 3D fighting game yet, now I REALLY need a PS3

How ya doing, buddy?
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:01 PM #2385 of 3592
ok I just receive my hdmi-> dvi cable but I can't seem to make it work...

I plug it to my screen, so I have a composite cable and the hdmi cable plug at the same time so I could go change the setting, but when I choose hdmi in the setting my tv goes black(which is normal) and I see my monitor flash but the screen stay black too...

so anyone use his ps3 on his computer screen could explain me how to make it work please.

I think it's a problem with HDCP or something... I know that I can watch blu-ray movie on a tv or monitor that doesn't support HDCP but I thought that game and other things would have work... is it possible that you can play a ps3 at all on a monitor that doesn't support that??

Double Post:
oh well I found the problem... to play with the ps3 on your monitor you must have a monitor that support HDCP, if not than you can,t play at all with your ps3 on that monitor...

well at least I got a good deal for the cable so I didn't waste a lot of money...

the problem now is that I need to buy an HDTV XD

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Inhert; Dec 6, 2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 04:23 PM #2386 of 3592
Anyone here work at an EB or a Gamestop by any chance?

THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:37 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 11:37 PM #2387 of 3592
*raises hand* Sup?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:08 AM #2388 of 3592
Nevermind, I no longer need to ask the question.

I got myself a PS3 today though. A 60 giger. Didn't hook it up yet but looking forward to it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:12 AM #2389 of 3592
Tommorow the PSN Store is expected to update with Go Sudoku 2 (pass) Lemmings 2 (maybe) and a Genji 2 demo (definate). I'm just wondering when that Tekken: Dark Resurrection game will be available (they said "very soon").

Funny how with the announcement of this game being ported to PS3, we're also getting ports of Prince of Persia (not sure which one) and Mortal Kombat Armageddon for Wii. I forsee a new trend coming (do you go for ports with visual upgrades or play style upgrades?).

Most amazing jew boots
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:57 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 12:57 AM #2390 of 3592
Lemmings 2 all the way baybee I'll have impressions once I've played it, assuming it gets added tomorrow.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:42 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 01:42 AM #2391 of 3592
Man, I really hope they fix all the problems the PS3 has within the next couple of years or so, or I may not be getting one, MGS4 or no. The fact that you have to buy a separate piece just to be able to use PS1/2 memory cards and certain controllers (Excluding the guitar, so I hear) is a HUGE turnoff for me. Not to mention the constant freezing during gameplay and...

Originally Posted by http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
When the user's character opens a door, the "warping" sound effect plays overlapped by a static noise.

Final Fantasy IX
Throughout gameplay and FMA's when the user's character walks up or down on screen and the camera pans up or down to follow the movement, four transparent horizontal lines appear across the screen.

Final Fantasy VII
On Disc 1, when the first battle begins at the Mako Reactor, a flashing black square appears around the user's character's pointer.

Final Fantasy VIII
Throughout gameplay, when the user's party encounters a random enemy in the "world map" and the "pre-battle" transistion screen appears, approximately 40 - 60% of the "pre-battle" transition screen appears black, and the remaining portion of the screen appears corrupted. (!)

Silent Hill
Throughout gameplay, when the user's character shoots an enemy, a medium pitched tone plays.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (Normal and Limited Editions respectively)
During gameplay, with 1 PS3 user hosting a Team Deathmatch Game Type, and 5 other users as clients, the host is randomly disconnected, and is unable to reconnect.

Throughout the title, with the PS3 using HDMI out, the screen appears divided horizontally, and both of the divided portions of the screen display out of sync from one another. (!)
I understand a new system will have its kinks to work out, but Sony really needs to get their shit together. As far as I know, Nintendo has always put out a new system and gotten everything (functionality-wise) right the first time. I'm no Nintendo fanboy in the least, but Sony has really shot itself in the foot this time. The PS2's Disc Read Error fiasco is a joke compared to this.

FELIPE NO
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 04:48 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 01:48 AM #2392 of 3592
Wow, can't even get their major PSX and PS2 franchises working properly... Just wait for the lesser known or obscure titles... (Like ICO for one, apparently it flickers as you play or watch cutscenes >_<)

Its obvious from the beginning that almost anyone who buys a Sony PS3 on launch MONTH is gullible or ignorant, or just downright impatient. From past consoles, be it handheld or not, it always had annoying bugs when it first launched, but man, the PS3 seems to really hit it bad. Hasn't Sony heard of the term "testing"? No wait, I forgot, Sony like its fans wants to rush the thing out before they're ready cause they're bloody impatient. While I'm happy for people who got it early cause they really wanted, I see no reason why they can't wait a little longer, unless their PS2 is so busted and the PS3 price seems to justify for the individual for some reason.

Who wants to bet the crap won't be fixed even when big titles like MGS4, FF13 or hell even the unannounced KH3 comes out? I don't think that adding Blue Ray amongst Sony's usual bugs is gonna make things any easier.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Dec 7, 2006 at 04:58 AM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 06:00 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 06:00 AM #2393 of 3592
Here's what I'd like to know -- how are people playing these games? Sounds like a stupid question, but the games I've tried on my PS3 always ask me to plug up a PS2 controller first.

WolfDemon, you're aware that Nintendo's first Wii update caused some of their systems to brick, aren't you? Nintendo's not without their launch kinks either. I seem to recall a few hinges breaking on the DS Lite I believe shortly after its launch.

Kairi, why is it that someone who buys a system at launch is ignorant or gullible? Not everyone's having problems with their PS3s, such as myself. And I think you misunderstand what it means to launch a system. If they kept delaying it just to test every single game they've already got, the system wouldn't be out until 2010. When testing a system, you can't just go through some checklist to get every bug. It's gonna take some random coincidences to find them all.

Honestly, the PS3's come off their launch relatively stable. So what, 200 games out of 8,000 aren't backwards compatible. Is that such a bad thing?

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:07 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 06:07 AM #2394 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
WolfDemon, you're aware that Nintendo's first Wii update caused some of their systems to brick, aren't you? Nintendo's not without their launch kinks either. I seem to recall a few hinges breaking on the DS Lite I believe shortly after its launch.
First I've heard of it.

Quote:
Honestly, the PS3's come off their launch relatively stable. So what, 200 games out of 8,000 aren't backwards compatible. Is that such a bad thing?
Well, I only looked up the games that I own, and that many turned up faulty. So yeah, it kinda is, for me at least.

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:49 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 05:49 PM #2395 of 3592
In any case, it's better than what Xbox 360 managed. That you still can't play Psychonauts is tantamount to a crime.

Am I mistaken if I claim that some of the VC games on Wii have some slight problems too?

Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:52 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 09:52 AM #2396 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Here's what I'd like to know -- how are people playing these games? Sounds like a stupid question, but the games I've tried on my PS3 always ask me to plug up a PS2 controller first.
Really? It just says to press the PS Button when I start mine up. So I do, and then it works. Not sure why it would ask you to plug in a PS2 controller, since to my knowledge you can't

As for me being gullible or ignorant? Not really. I'm not having any major issues, and I'll own this console for quite some time to come, playing whatever great games come out for it. Just like I did with the PS2. What happened of the 3-console rivalry after several years? People just got on with what they had and were content with what was offered for their system(s). The same'll happen this gen, so I don't really need anyone telling me I'm foolish for buying something earlier As far as the price, it's been a year and the 360 hasn't dropped in price even though it's lower to start out with. I wouldn't see the PS3's price dropping soon either though, especially considering that they still need to get to the point where profits are made.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Cobalt Katze; Dec 7, 2006 at 12:55 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:18 PM #2397 of 3592
I have yet to hear anything that major about PS3 problems yet myself. All the issues are just small software issues that Sony is constantly fixing. Ex. Tekken 5 was fixed the first week after the PS3 came out.

Also the failure rate of the PS1/2 emulation rate is 2.5%, whoopdy fucking doo. Can't play FFVII, spend $5 for a PS1 until the next update or go play a game for the $600 system you just purchased.

Most of Wolf's games (Ex: DMC3, FFVII, Silent Hill & MGS3) arn't anything that will really stop you, unless you really don't want to play them that bad and we're once again back to the $5 PS1 solution.

As for the save file issue, better then the 360's solution which is NON EXISTANT!!! Also you don't have to buy the PS3 adaptor, if you have a GameShark or Action Replay for the PS2 you can copy all your saves from your MemoryCard to a ThumbDrive, and then from that to your HDD, 20 second solution. Or spend the $10 for the bloody adaptor, or if you have a buddy who also needs one, split the price and there you go. It's really not that big of a deal.

Finally as Katze said, when it asks you to connect a controller you just hit the PS button on the SIXAXIS and you're set. Which is simpler then the Wii's setup.

Insert Dics -> Use Wiimote to navigate & start game -> Put away Wiimote and switch to wired GC controller... this is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Why can't I navigate the menu with the GC controller, can someone answer THAT one for me?

Katze: Sony never got the the point where they were making money off the hardware until May '05 so I think it's going to be the competition that guides the PS3's price and not profits. But like everyone else, I'm just making guesses based off of trends.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Slayer X; Dec 7, 2006 at 02:24 PM.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:26 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 11:26 AM #2398 of 3592
Originally Posted by Kilroy
In any case, it's better than what Xbox 360 managed. That you still can't play Psychonauts is tantamount to a crime.
I have to disagree with that. I'd rather have the game not work at all than have it work with glaring errors. That's why all those games don't work for 360 yet. Because they haven't fixed it to where it won't have shit like random noises playing over static or "40 - 60% of the "pre-battle" transition screen appears black, and the remaining portion of the screen appears corrupted."

Maybe that's just me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:38 PM #2399 of 3592
I know I rather have it partially work because things like only 1st boss battle of FFVII has missing pointer doesn't really matter to me, and if I found out that that issue is what kept me from being able to play it on my PS3 day 1 I'd be pissed. On the other hand with the more serious issues like FFIX I wouldn't try playing the game, but I'd be happy knowing that they're working on it and that it's soon coming.

The 360 compatibility wouldn't be as big of a deal if it wasn't that about 91% of the games didn't work accompanied by the fact that Microsoft is no longer updating the BC ability from this point on. That doesn't make the failing games on the PS3 100% ok, but at least Sony is open about their issues and are devoted to getting the BC working 100% unlike Microsofts tactics of trying to control the market. (Ex. Madden '06 for the Xbox isn't 360 compatible because they want you to buy the $10 more 360 version... that crosses the line for me, trying to tell me what I can & can't do. Where Sony's like "you can do it, but it'll look like shit in comparison."

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Slayer X; Dec 7, 2006 at 02:42 PM.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:42 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 09:42 PM #2400 of 3592
Originally Posted by WolfDemon
I have to disagree with that.
Approximately 95% of all PS2 games work perfectly fine on the PS3 without errors. The percentage of Xbox games playable on the 360 is significantly lower. What the PS3 manages in terms of backwards compatibility is far superior to the Xbox 360, no matter how you look at things.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread