Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Guitar Hero III

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:29 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2007, 04:29 PM #176 of 230
no Raining blood is full of gay. I think thats the song that will quite possibly turn me off from this series.

so Fuck you Neversoft.

and Fuck you Harmonix for giving the damn series away. I swear...it feels like Harmonix can only put out two games for every series they do.

Frequency - Amplitude (Great games..wheres my third?)
Guitar Hero - Guitar Hero 2 (Great games, why'd ya give it to shitsoft)
now what? It'll be Rock Band, then Rock Band 2 and then what?! They'll give it to like Ubisoft or some shit like that

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 05:41 AM Local time: Nov 6, 2007, 12:41 AM #177 of 230
I'm currently starting on playing the songs on Hard difficulty. It's so hard getting used to shifting my fingers just so I could reach that damn orange button. >_>

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2007, 05:54 PM #178 of 230
I'm currently starting on playing the songs on Hard difficulty. It's so hard getting used to shifting my fingers just so I could reach that damn orange button. >_>
Try moving your entire hand over to those set of buttons when you reach for the orange button, instead of stretching your pinky out just for the orange buttons all the time. For the most part on Hard, if you have to land a orange key, the other buttons before or following will be closer to that end.

Ah, has anyone else seen the South Park episode featuring Guitar Hero? It's full of awesome

Most amazing jew boots

oh my gawddd
lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:25 AM #179 of 230
Some weird shit got into me or something, but I choked up when Stan said "I just wanna play with my best friend."

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 04:50 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2007, 11:50 AM #180 of 230
Try moving your entire hand over to those set of buttons when you reach for the orange button, instead of stretching your pinky out just for the orange buttons all the time. For the most part on Hard, if you have to land a orange key, the other buttons before or following will be closer to that end.
It seems to be working. Managed to start getting 4-5 stars on the first two tiers of songs, but the final two tiers are just beating me sensless (thanks to weird finger positioning to hit the right note combo).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
AlphaDeus
[ IKZ ]

Member 580

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2007, 09:24 PM #181 of 230
Darth do you play on 360? if so, what's your GT? (I dunno if you mentioned what system you play on earlier in the thread :P) We should play co-op sometime. (That offer goes for anyone GT: IKarusZino)

Did anyone else download the free Boss Battle DLC Pack on the Xbox marketplace? (might be on PS3 any day now). It's brutal you have to play BOTH Solos. I managed to pass the Devil once but my hand keeps getting tired at about 60% >.>

I was speaking idiomatically.
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:04 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 02:04 PM #182 of 230
Unfortunately, I own the Wii version. So no battling for us ;_;

I've tried doing the hammer on and pull off tutorials (I assume I'll need top deal with these if I ever hope to do anything higher than a 3-star on hard/expert difficulties). On the tutorial I can do it just fine, but when I try to apply it to a normal song, I just can't seem to get it working right. Anyone have any tips?

How ya doing, buddy?
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:32 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 06:32 PM #183 of 230
It's actually simple to do hammer-on and pull-offs. Just hit the right fret and the game will count it as good.

Keep in mind though, that if you miss a fret, you'll need to hit the strum bar in order to start the hammer-on again.

BTW, beat my first song on Hard yesterday. School's Out by Alice Cooper... easy as hell, but I'm still proud of it. =D

FELIPE NO
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:46 PM #184 of 230
Rule #1
Rule #2
Rule #3
"
"
Rule #99:

Don't panic, just instinctively mash the frets as the notes come. I used to panic everytime a wave came at me (hello "Woman" on hard/expert), but one day I started goofing around and mashed them out and didn't really worry if I missed. I can do them pretty consistantly now...I even FCed "Talk Dirty to Me" and the end HOPO section in a store demo. The three people watching thought I was a GH god. Good times...

I bought GH1 a few days after GHIII and man...World of difference. Seems like a 50/50 shot I get them in GH1, but they come out almost by accident in III. Good luck on "One" though...

How ya doing, buddy?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:39 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2007, 04:39 PM #185 of 230
Apparently you can now download the Halo theme for GH3, for free no less.

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 02:40 PM #186 of 230
Yeah. It's great to see them supporting the game so strongly. Hope they keep it up for a good while. However you can definately tell that the 360 game is the favouriate son.

Co-op patch
Boss Battle Patch
Free Halo song

That's why I'm selling my PS3 GH3 and have already picked up the software of GH3 for the 360 (already own GH2 for it).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 06:22 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2007, 01:22 PM #187 of 230
Ah, never realized only certain notes can be used for HOPO. I was wondering what was the deal with those shining notes. >_>

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:36 PM #188 of 230
You can do pull-offs on any note, doesn't have to be the lit up ones. You just have to plan the finguring correctly.

As for hammer-ons, you're right that you can only do them for the lit up notes as long as you sucessfully hit the note prior to it.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:34 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 07:34 PM #189 of 230
Got my copy today (yay for European release dates -_-) and so now I has two guitars (the new one is awesome, btw) and have been playing some co-op with a mate. It's a lot of fun with two players, I'm very much liking.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 01:45 AM #190 of 230
The Romantics sue Activision - PlayStation 2 News at GameSpot

Not GHIII, but better than bumping the other GH thread.

LOL at stupid lawsuit "Made Famous By The Romantics"...I hate the song ingame (one of the worst patterns in any GH game) and I'm tired of hearing it in every other commercial, but I'd hate it even more if it caused GH: RT80's to get pulled from shelves.

Quote:
According to the Detroit Free Press, the band's attorney has said that copyright <of "What I Like About You">is not the issue, since Activision secured permission for a cover version through the proper channels. Attorney William Horton said, "It's a very good imitation, and that's our objection. Even the guys in the band said, 'Wow, that's not us, but it sure sounds like us.'" He added, "The sales of this game are huge. We're all for good commerce. We just want to share in it."
Solution? Just use this instead and call it a day: YouTube - Poison-What I Like About You!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:50 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 01:50 AM #191 of 230
You can do pull-offs on any note, doesn't have to be the lit up ones. You just have to plan the finguring correctly.

As for hammer-ons, you're right that you can only do them for the lit up notes as long as you sucessfully hit the note prior to it.
Wait, what? Pull-offs can be done on *any* note? Odd, because the tutorial didn't mention anything about this and they had lit notes when I did it.

I hope it's true though, it would let me ace "One" on Medium.

In other news, I'm doing some practice on Hard songs. So far I've managed to beat School's Out by Alice Cooper and My Name is Jonas by Weezer (although I still have a shit-ton of trouble on the hammer-on solos ). Considering that GH3 hard is supposed to be GH2's Expert, I'm quite proud of myself. I shudder to think about what the final boss battle will be like though.

FELIPE NO
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 04:09 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 02:09 AM #192 of 230
Wow...have GH3 on Wii kinda blows...

the only way that It can be made up is if they put Zelda AND Kraids theme on the game

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 05:13 AM #193 of 230
Considering that GH3 hard is supposed to be GH2's Expert, I'm quite proud of myself. I shudder to think about what the final boss battle will be like though.
Eh, not quite...I wouldn't say there's any early hard GH3 song I've had to star power through like I still do on "Mother" in expert in GH2 (a tier 1 song), and there's nowhere near as many 3-note chords or just simply "WTF, why is that $*&#ing note here!?" patterns. You'll be surprised when you make the jump to expert eventually how much of a bastard it can be.

Keep plugging away though and the zen will come. Keep practicing "Talk Dirty to Me", which looks slightly intimidating at first, but it's a great hard training song for fast, continuous strings of notes/chords, orange fret usage, and one that doesn't almost require double-strumming (but you can still practice it for later songs, where you practically need it to hit everything). I always use to warm-up/impress people at store demos()

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 07:40 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 05:40 AM #194 of 230
Thanks for the tip. I'll practice some right now.

And pull-offs on any note, confirm deny y/n?

EDIT: Hmm. Talk Dirty to Me is a pretty good song, but it doesn't test me on where I'm having the most trouble with: quick hammer-ons/pull-offs, notes where I need to double strum to hit them all, and fast shifts between the GRYB and RYBO sets. I actually think I'm gonna work on "One" there. I'm about 61%... I can sorta get through to the fast part where you need the double-strut without star power, but I wanna nail them, so it'll be something for me to practice.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by The_Griffin; Nov 24, 2007 at 08:03 AM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 07:58 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 05:58 AM #195 of 230
And pull-offs on any note, confirm deny y/n?
Pretty much. I noticed that the hammer ons/pull offs were infinitely easier this time around. Even my cousin, who could never so much as do Carry Me Home in GHII was all of a sudden pulling out 100% on songs like Lay Down in this game. THey are RIDICULOUSLY easy but I guess that's a welcome change.

Most amazing jew boots
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 08:05 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 06:05 AM #196 of 230
Hmm. I'll have to do some tests on that. That'd be a MAJOR help in the faster songs if it's true.

Oh, and I feel your pain, Slash. No DLC for me because I only have a Wii.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
AlphaDeus
[ IKZ ]

Member 580

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:39 AM #197 of 230
You can't do pull offs on every note. In fact, you shouldn't even be concerning yourself with them because they were only really important in the first guitar hero.

A hammer-on is when you see a series of notes, let's say 3 for example. G-R-Y. The first note is regular while the next two are shining. You can strum the first note and tap the next two notes without strumming.

Pull-offs are the reverse concept. If you see Y-R-G and the Y is regular, to pull off, you have to hold down all three frets before the notes hit the line, Strum yellow and pull each finger off one by one (Strum Y and release, then release R after you hit the note, then stay on green). Every regular note in the entire game has to be strummed regardless of where it is, while shining notes can be both strummed and tapped if you strummed the regular note and are maintaining a combo.

What made GH2 easier was that you didn't have to hold down the lower notes to do parts that descend. So if you saw Y-R-G in GH2, you could Strum Y, release, Tap R, Release, and Tap G. if you managed to hit the notes accurately you would have hit all three.

What makes GH3 easier is they seem to have removed timing with Hammer ons and pull offs. The best example of this is the Halo song or any shining long notes. If you look at the last set of notes on expert (find a video on youtube :P) you'll see they are all shining held notes. If you strum the regular note, and press the next note coming up AT ANY POINT before it reaches the line, as soon as it crosses the line, it'll still count. You can break the current held note (without breaking combo) hold the next note for any length of time before the note reaches the line, and it'll count when it hits the line.

What this means is that for fast hammer-ons you really don't have to be as accurate as you did with GH2. In GH2 you had to tap the hammer ons as soon as they were crossing the line.

You can't pull off any note, if you could, the intro to Take This Life would be a cakewalk, but since you have to strum every single note in most of the beginning, it's very challenging.

How ya doing, buddy?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:42 PM #198 of 230
Pull-offs are just as relevant in this game as any. Thing is unlike hammer-ons where they show you where to use them. Pull-offs are left to the creativity of the player.

Example, whenever tou see two notes that switch back and forth. Let's say R & Y. Instead of moving your fingures to hit R then Y then R then Y... you can instead hold R and just push Y and then release and then press again. But like I said though, the player has to intergrate this themselves. They don't do it for you.

Also some will use Pull-offs more then others.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Luceid
Persona

Member 127

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:03 PM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 08:03 PM #199 of 230
Slayer's Raining Blood can go fucking die. After trying that song in Hard for at least 4 hours, I couldn't beat it until I practiced the notes slower and kinda got the hang of it. I still hate it with passion and wish it was never added.

The soundtrack is decent, with a few great songs, like Knights of Cydonia, Number of the Beast, One, Talk Dirty to Me, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Avalanca (Fuck yeah for Heroes del Silencio), and a couple of others.

I mean though, fuck, the difficulty is ridiculously high for Hard, and tried Expert and wasn't really fun. This is something I really dislike about the game, and ruins a lot of the fun for me. Guitar Hero 2 was the first rhythm game I have picked up in a long time since my dancepad for DDR died, and Hard had its difficulty, but wasn't ridiculous like this game is. I do way better on Expert at GH2 than this one. Have seen videos of Youtube of people doing all these crazy feats like beating Through the Fire and Flames, and all sorts of shit. God damnit, I can hardly do it on Normal, and Hard feels like Expert at some point because it's just stupid.

I enjoy the game at certain point, but perhaps I'll try Rock Band out. Been checking the soundtrack, and the gameplay videos, it looks more fun than this one, because I'm sure it won't be frustrating to play when I don't know how to play a real guitar for shit (when I really want to learn later on).

These are my two cents.

FELIPE NO
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:16 PM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 03:16 PM #200 of 230
At least you can beat Raining Blood on Hard. I can't get past Mosh I. I'm starting to 4/5-star the songs on Hard, but the tier 7/8 songs are just insane. Not because of the speed, but songs like Before I Forget and 3's and 7's have ridiculously insane note patterns that come at me way too fast to react to.

And don't get me started on Through the Fire and Flames on Hard. Best I could do is 24% through the song, and that's if I can achieve Star Power when Post Insanity comes around.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Guitar Hero III