Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:05 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:05 PM #176 of 1376
As in "boring" or as in "THAT'S NOT MUSIC"?

Because, if it's the latter, the person(s) that said that must never have listened to any Merzbow (or any other noise act).

Also, Godflesh is awesome. As might be evidenced by my new avatar/sig.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 08:09 PM #177 of 1376
I saw Morbid Angel and Behemoth earlier this week. Fucking AWESOME show. The sound could have been better for Behemoth (and thankfully crisp and sharp for MA), but Krisiun didn't make it so they played a bit longer. And while I wasn't a huge fan of Morbid Angel, it was impossible not to headbang furiously the whole time. ALL classic songs, mostly from Altars of Madness (my favourite by them). Insane!

And now my latest haul:

* Gamma Ray - Majestic
* Bathory - Blood on Ice
* Immortal - Battles in the North
* Behemoth - Satanica
* Forsaken - Dominaeon (The band from Malta: powerish doom, similar to Solitude Aeturnus. Great stuff)
* Pharaoh - The Longest Night (USPM, similar to Jag Panzer and Iron Maiden, with the Control Denied vocalist - excellent leads on there too)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 10:27 PM #178 of 1376
Pharaoh is pretty cool. I definitely like the singer in there than in Control Denied. However, Control Denied wasn't too much different from Sound of Perseverance Death. Chuck Schuldiner just has to distinctive of a sound....which is not really a bad thing, just doesn't really make it different enough to warrant a side project.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 08:42 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 01:42 PM #179 of 1376
So has anyone heard the new Korpiklaani album Tales Along This Road? Its the same old Korpiklaani sound with a great track called Happy Little Boozer.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:35 PM #180 of 1376
Yep. "Happy little happy little happy little boozers, happy little happy little happy little boozers!"

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:03 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 06:03 PM #181 of 1376
What's Korpiklaani sound like? Never heard of them until now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:19 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2006, 10:19 AM #182 of 1376
After a hell of a long time going without any black metal, I've gotten re-acquainted with it via Ildjarn's "Strength and Anger". And I like it lots.

Production is actually total crap, but I can actually discern all the instruments involved. Besides, listening to noise "music" has helped me keep my "edge" in terms of tolerating/enjoying bad production.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Schadenfreude; Apr 16, 2006 at 11:09 PM.
XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 08:12 PM #183 of 1376
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
What's Korpiklaani sound like? Never heard of them until now.
Folk Metal. Like Finntroll except without the black metal influence. Its like beer drinking metal.

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:29 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 07:29 PM #184 of 1376
Originally Posted by XtremeDJW
Folk Metal. Like Finntroll except without the black metal influence. Its like beer drinking metal.

So metal for the Irish eh?

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 08:55 PM #185 of 1376
XtremeDJW's description is accurate. I would compare them more to Otyg than Finntroll, though, with the fiddle and all.

I got the new Summoning last week. \m/ And, non-metal related, but two game soundtracks in the mail today, after over 3 weeks of waiting. Finally!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 11:18 PM #186 of 1376
Which soundtracks?

Most amazing jew boots
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:19 PM #187 of 1376
Hey guys, I've had some time to digest the body of Pain of Salvation's work, and I have to say that I'm in awe. Seriously, check them out NOW.

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 02:28 PM #188 of 1376
I'm probably about to get shot for having bad taste, but my metal listening lists:

Rhapsody
DragonForce
Parakletos
Haggard
Immortal Souls
Thy Majestie
Sonata Arctica

A few others, but those are the main bands I listen to. Also, I'm not into black metal anymore because I used to be naive enough I didn't know about its theological roots but if you ARE into that, you DEFINITELY need to check out a band called Tvangeste. They have some free tracks on their website. It's symphonic black metal. I still haven't found any bands that sound like them, very unique sound.

Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:08 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 10:08 PM #189 of 1376
So metal for the Irish eh?
More like finnish.

SUOMALAINEN PEIKKO!

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:18 PM #190 of 1376
DarkLink, so you like flowery sympho metal eh? Well, that's already better than the corecrap, so there's that at least.

Which soundtracks?
Wild ARMs: Alter Code F OST, and Genso Suikogaiden Vol. 1 OST. Animenation took some time, but it got there at last.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:02 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 04:02 PM #191 of 1376
What's some good metal sung in their native language? I know bands like Vintersorg, Brujeria, Sex Machineguns and early Dimmu Borgir sung in their native tongue, what are some other bands like them? I don't mean musically like them, it can be whatever style of metal, just as long as it's non English.

FELIPE NO
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:41 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 05:41 PM #192 of 1376
I've recently been exposed to Sonata Arctica by a friend. They're much better than i initially expected. The speed is a nice departure from alot of the stuff i listen to.

I also recently picked up Helloween's first album. Drastically different than all of their other stuff. It's good, but i must say i like Andi Deris better than Kai Hansen as a vocalist. I like Hansen in Gamma Ray, but in Helloween he was a little... i dunno, not as good. Michael Kiske is hovering somewhere inbetween.

Also picked up Chameleon by Helloween. I'm not sure why this album almost destroyed them, i like it quite a bit actually. I like alot of the different sounds they play around with, and i really enjoy the melodic feel the album puts across.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:58 PM #193 of 1376
Walls of Jericho >>>>>>>>>>>>> all the other Helloween. Fuck, Kai Hansen isn't the best vocalist (and he's much better now than he used to be), but the passion, the fury and the energy in this album outshines anything else they've done. Don't get me wrong, I love the Keepers to death, and I also love The Time of the Oath and The Dark Ride, but for different reasons, and they are still too... flowery compared to the rawness of Walls of Jericho.

Sonata Arctica... haha. A good joke I read recently. On a metal forum, there was this thread that went, "if _____ grew a huge pair of balls, they'd sound like ____". Example, "if Poison grew a huge pair of balls, they'd sound like WASP".
And then there was one that won the thread: "If Avenged Sevenfold grew a huge pair of balls, they'd sound like Sonata Arctica".

What's some good metal sung in their native language? I know bands like Vintersorg, Brujeria, Sex Machineguns and early Dimmu Borgir sung in their native tongue, what are some other bands like them? I don't mean musically like them, it can be whatever style of metal, just as long as it's non English.
Metalucifer. Kidding, but the Engrish is amusing. Hmm, since you know Vintersorg I assume you already know Otyg. So, try these:

Hantaoma (folk metal; Occitan)
Arkona (folk metal; Russian)
Finntroll (folk/"polka" metal: they sing in Swedish though, not Finnish)
Moonsorrow (folk/viking; Finnish)
Mägo de Oz (folk; Spanish)
Dantesco (doom/power; Spanish)
Killers (speed metal; French, a bit of English)
Haggard (a bit of German, latin, some French; symphonic/baroque)
Storm (folk; Norwegian)
Lumsk (see above)
Månegarm (black/viking; Swedish)
In Extremo (weird folkish/medieval metal; German)
Misanthrope (err... symphonic doom? avant-garde? ; occasional French)

...Yeah, they're mostly folk metal bands. I guess it's those that are really close to their home culture.

Most amazing jew boots
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:03 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 08:03 PM #194 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Walls of Jericho >>>>>>>>>>>>> all the other Helloween. Fuck, Kai Hansen isn't the best vocalist (and he's much better now than he used to be), but the passion, the fury and the energy in this album outshines anything else they've done.

YES! I've been thinking this since I heard it. Sorry Helloween, I know it's not your favourite, but Morrigan's absolutely right.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:25 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:25 PM #195 of 1376
Got hold of Evergrey's newest effort, Monday Morning Apocalypse. It's got some decent riffs, and as always, some good, catchy choruses, but there's a disappointing trend I've noticed, so that I'll find a few songs I want to keep, but for the most part the rest are so average that I never feel justified in buying one of their albums.

I wish they'd do a bit more of the male/female voice dynamic, like they did on "Wake of the Weary." The contrast between his voice and hers is what makes it work so well, in my opinion. Same reason I like "Phantom of the Opera" from Iced Earth so much.

In any event, "Monday Morning Apocalypse," "Unspeakable," and my personal favorites "Still in the Water" and "The Dark I Walk You Through" are good enough for a look.

They really need to drop the piano/vocal interludes in my opinion, though. His voice really isn't refined enough to work in a minimalist piece like they keep doing.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:26 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 10:26 AM #196 of 1376
"Onmyoza" dude! They're Japanese, their music is like a fusion of heavy metal and traditional japanese themes. It's awesome.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:00 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:00 PM #197 of 1376
As far as Japanese metal goes, it doesn't get better than Boris in my opinion.

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:02 PM #198 of 1376
Does anyone listen to Fear Factory? It's been a while since I listened to them. Hear they have a new album out? What do you think of it?

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:13 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:13 PM #199 of 1376
Well, new may not be the term for it anymore. Their last album, 2005's Transgressions was not as strong as the previous year's Archetype. Whereas the 2004 offering dished out more straight up metal, their latest kind of panders off as they return to Industrial, with a low point being an out of place U2 cover which is strangely like the original. I don't think highly of industrial/metal crossovers, really. It hasn't been pulled off well yet.

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:11 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:11 PM #200 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Metalucifer. Kidding, but the Engrish is amusing. Hmm, since you know Vintersorg I assume you already know Otyg. So, try these:

Hantaoma (folk metal; Occitan)
Arkona (folk metal; Russian)
Finntroll (folk/"polka" metal: they sing in Swedish though, not Finnish)
Moonsorrow (folk/viking; Finnish)
Mägo de Oz (folk; Spanish)
Dantesco (doom/power; Spanish)
Killers (speed metal; French, a bit of English)
Haggard (a bit of German, latin, some French; symphonic/baroque)
Storm (folk; Norwegian)
Lumsk (see above)
Månegarm (black/viking; Swedish)
In Extremo (weird folkish/medieval metal; German)
Misanthrope (err... symphonic doom? avant-garde? ; occasional French)

...Yeah, they're mostly folk metal bands. I guess it's those that are really close to their home culture.

Cool thanks! I'll have to check them out!

I like Fear Factory though they get a little repetive after awhile since they don't have many riffs, just rhythm patterns that can sound similar.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)