Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 07:13 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 06:13 PM #151 of 1376
Hey S?ecter, you wanted Winnipeg shows?

MTS Center. July 9. Slayer. Lamb Of God. Mastodon. Children Of Bodom. Thine Eyes Bleed.

The Unholy Alliance Tour is making it to Winnipeg. Finally something like this comes to town. Last year, SOTU went from Minneapolis to SASKATOON! About time.

FELIPE NO
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:02 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 04:02 PM #152 of 1376
Supernal Music has been supposed to release new Drudkh for almost a month now... RELEASE IT ALREADY BASTARDS

I'm going through an Slavic Black Metal phase again. Discovered many side projects from the whole Oriana clan, among which are a few gem.

Special mention to Finist which is as terrible as it's excellent. ^_^;

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
S?ecter
You're a woman, I'm a machine

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:22 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 04:22 PM #153 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Hey S?ecter, you wanted Winnipeg shows?

MTS Center. July 9. Slayer. Lamb Of God. Mastodon. Children Of Bodom. Thine Eyes Bleed.

The Unholy Alliance Tour is making it to Winnipeg. Finally something like this comes to town. Last year, SOTU went from Minneapolis to SASKATOON! About time.
Thanks knkwzrd, I'll have to make note of that...Not too excited about Mastodon and Lamb of God, but Slayer and the rest should be ok.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - W.B. Yeats

Nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:33 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 09:33 PM #154 of 1376
Originally Posted by niki
Supernal Music has been supposed to release new Drudkh for almost a month now... RELEASE IT ALREADY BASTARDS
Bought it this afternoon, and it's fucking awesome. ^_^

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:54 AM #155 of 1376
Angra is so damn good. I mean, the old stuff, the new stuff, all amazing. It's really something when a band undergoes such a radical change as bringing in a new vocalist, drummer, and bassist and remains strong. Not to mention we now have Angra and Shaman.

Has anyone mentioned Pain of Salvation yet? Very good progressive metal, I just discovered them myself. Check 'em out.

Otherwise, I'm into...

Dream Theater
Kamelot
Symphony X
Gamma Ray
Stratovarius
Queensryche
Masterplan
Wolfcry
At All Cost
From Zero
Saxon
Guns N' Roses (basically just Appetite For Destruction)
Vinnie Moore

...just to name a few

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:22 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 11:22 AM #156 of 1376
I just bought two new Dream Theater albums over a few weeks time and they are both amazing cd's. "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" and "Scenes from a Memory"

They are both great cd's and I am glad I purchased them, I love the huge story in Scenes from a Memory. I think I am going to turn into a huge Dream Theater music freak over the next few months. I love their music.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:01 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 05:01 PM #157 of 1376
Kalmah's new album, The Black Waltz is great. However, the vocals are now polar opposites and all of that. Now the deep hoarse voice dominates rather than the screeched one. For all that though, Bitter Metallic Side and One from the Stands are what stands out to me right now. The others are pretty.. uh, difficult to get into but as said, it grows overtime.

I hope.

8.5/10

I was speaking idiomatically.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:09 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 06:09 PM #158 of 1376
My favourite new metal album without a doubt is Age Of Winters, the debut record from The Sword. It's like all the nerds you've ever met made a doom metal album, and it kicked ass (sorry, Rush). Definitely check this out. I posted it in the Music Exposure Club a while back, but here's a link if you didn't catch that. http://rapidshare.de/files/15820014/...nters.zip.html

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:19 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 05:19 PM #159 of 1376
Originally Posted by Terminus
Kalmah's new album, The Black Waltz is great. However, the vocals are now polar opposites and all of that. Now the deep hoarse voice dominates rather than the screeched one. For all that though, Bitter Metallic Side and One from the Stands are what stands out to me right now. The others are pretty.. uh, difficult to get into but as said, it grows overtime.

I hope.

8.5/10

I need to get that album. I love Kalmah.

I listened to a song from the new Decapitated album and was dissapointed by the vocals. The music was great, but the vocals had a hardcore edge, rather than the awesome death growl that Sauron had before. Anyone have this album and can comment on it?

FELIPE NO
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:22 PM #160 of 1376
knkwzrd - This is total Sleep worship, but otherwise pretty good. Thanks for the link.

knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 08:43 PM #161 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
knkwzrd - This is total Sleep worship, but otherwise pretty good. Thanks for the link.
It is Sleep worship, but that's not too bad of a choice IMHO.

Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:26 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2006, 05:26 PM #162 of 1376
Originally Posted by Will
Has anyone mentioned Pain of Salvation yet? Very good progressive metal, I just discovered them myself. Check 'em out.
Yeah, I discovered them just recently myself. Pretty much all of their albums are amazing. I like Dream Theater and all, but it's refreshing to see a progressive metal band that isn't so damn reliant on extended guitar solos.

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:09 PM #163 of 1376
Here is an album i've been enjoying lately for you all to enjoy.

Gorguts - Considered Dead ( 1991, Roadrunner, metal )

Track Listing:

1. ...And Then Comes Lividity :43
2. Stiff and Cold 4:25
3. Disincarnated 4:28
4. Considered Dead 3:33
5. Rottenatomy 4:45
6. Bodily Corrupted 3:41
7. Waste of Mortality 4:37
8. Drifting Remains 3:43
9. Hematological Allergy 4:10
10. Inoculated Life 3:55

Overview:

One has to wonder if French Canadians Gorguts didn't actually intend to name their debut album, 1991's Considered Dead, "Considered Death" (no, not "Deaf"!), as its contents surely embody the purest form of old-school death metal. Or at least old-school death metal as defined by pioneering efforts like Beneath the Remains : hyperfast, very technical, ultrabrutal, but also characterized by healthy injections of melodic guitar harmonies and slower doom sections. More importantly, Gorguts were talented enough to pull this complex death gumbo off convincingly, using the potent double whammy of "Stiff and Cold" and "Disincarnate" to kick start both their album and career in great style. Ensuing eardrum grinders like the title track and "Bodily Corrupted" aren't as immediately successful, but hardly disappoint in the long run, either; and with frequent bright spots continuing to surface throughout the disc (check out the particularly melodic instrumental "Waste of Mortality," the word-inventing "Rottenatomy," and monstrous closer "Inoculated Life," featuring a guest guitar solo from Death legend James Murphy), it's easy to see why Gorguts were considered sure-fire candidates to lead death metal into a bright future. Sadly, the band's record company, Roadrunner, felt otherwise, inexplicably dropping Gorguts after just one more album, and consigning them to a long ramble through the underground metal wilderness before eventually resurfacing, almost unrecognizable, as a death-jazz outfit five years later. Regardless of that, Considered Dead remains a notable, if not exactly groundbreaking example of death metal's glory days. [Note: Considered Dead was later remastered, reissued, and paired with its successor The Erosion of Sanity as part of Roadrunner's Two From the Vault series, in 2004.]

Those Metal-Jazz heads before they met Zombie Mingus

[ "Talisman" ]
S?ecter

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:59 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 01:59 PM #164 of 1376
Wow, I listened to Dream Theater for the first time yesterday...

I had never heard anything they did (for some reason), but they're amazing!

I dl'd Glass Prison, Under the Glass Moon, As I Am, and two others that I don't remember, but they were all awesome!

Anyone have suggestions on a good album, because I'll probably pick one up when I have cash?

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:08 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 03:08 PM #165 of 1376
Quote:
Anyone have suggestions on a good album, because I'll probably pick one up when I have cash?
To tell you the truth, I haven't heard a bad album of theirs besides "Awake" which you shouldn't buy first.

Metropolis II Scenes from a Memory, by Dream Theater is my favorite release by them. I reviewed the cd on this site on another board. Dream Theater Review

If you are going for something heavy, then try and buy their album "Train of Thought" it's also another great album.

Octavarium and 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulance are good also, just I wouldn't buy those first though.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Living Legend; Apr 4, 2006 at 06:10 PM.
S?ecter

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 08:04 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:04 PM #166 of 1376
Originally Posted by Living Legend
Octavarium and 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulance are good also, just I wouldn't buy those first though.
Hmmm... I was told Octavarium was a good introduction to Dream Theater, whatever, I'll probably pick up one of the other ones you mentioned...

knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 08:52 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 07:52 PM #167 of 1376
I've listened to Octavarium all the way through once or twice, and to me the low points outnumber the high points (though they are high points). Out of everything I've heard by them, I recommend Change of Seasons. It's a covers album, but it's pretty interesting to hear the way they do Zeppelin and Elton John.

Most amazing jew boots
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:06 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:06 PM #168 of 1376
I started on Dream Theater with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I would recomend that album first, or Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory. Those two albums should give you a solid base in how they sound the majority of the time. After that, i say go nuts. They have a wide range of sound to them, so you might end up liking some stuff better than the rest if you have a preference.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:07 AM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 10:07 PM #169 of 1376
I started with Dream Theater with Images and Words bought Train of Thought when it came out. I dig the stuff so far and would like to get more DT.

JesperStromblad
Brazilian Jespão Putão

Member 2465

Level 1.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:08 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 02:08 PM #170 of 1376
I remember Dream Theater's show last night, second night, here in Sao Paulo was one of the best concerts I've ever been...

They played The Glass Prison, Just Let Me Breathe, The Mirror / Lie + some new songs... than the 'classic' album part was Scenes From a Memory... after that Pull Me Tropolis to finish the show...

Damn, this was memorable

On the other hand, I couldn't go to Pain Of Salvation's concert w/ Evergrey, DAMN IT

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:01 PM #171 of 1376
The show I went to, they played Metropolis, As I Am, Panic Attack, Never Enough, Glass Prison...maybe something else, I didn't know all of their songs at the time.

Octavarium is a very solid album, overall more palatable than the rest, which is probably why it's the only one I can listen to straight.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:13 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 09:13 PM #172 of 1376
Man, i wish Dream Theater would just come to Winnipeg already.

To the people who've seen Dream Theater recently:

How did James Labrie sound? I've noticed his performance in some live shows can be a little questionable. Budokan he was fine, Music in Progress was fine, but yesterday i saw good ol' mr. cam quarter's rendition of the song Octavarium. Seeing as how it was just a guy with a cam quarter, the sound isn't gonna be all that special, but from what i saw, Labrie would just stand at the front of the stage stalk still and sing slightly off key.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:29 AM #173 of 1376
When I could actually hear him over the loud ass guitars, he was spot on. But when you go to a DT show, you're not going to be watching Labrie.

Finally got the Pain of Salvation (it'd be easier to say "PoS" but that's just wrong XD) discography. That shit's bananas.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:00 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 08:00 PM #174 of 1376
I've never been much of a fan of Dream Theater/similar bands. They're good musicians, certainly -- but I'm no big fan of their compositions. Not all that bad, but I much prefer other styles/genres.

Sometimes the solos just irritate me too.

I've recently started really getting into Isis and Pelican. I like them a lot. Pretty good stuff. I guess you could say listening to noise music has helped me in "getting" both bands -- I can definitely see why people would call them "boring" or whatnot.

Of course, not many people would call noise music "boring". More like "THAT'S NOT FUCKING MUSIC!"

knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:08 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 07:08 PM #175 of 1376
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
Of course, not many people would call noise music "boring". More like "THAT'S NOT FUCKING MUSIC!"
I've heard that about Isis.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)