Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

eHarmony.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:04 AM #151 of 317
We've already discussed that it's not a meat market. You don't get to choose your matches. With other sites, you go around looking at pictures and you talk to whoever you want. That is a meat market, yes. With eharmony, you get maybe 3 matches at once and you have to deal with those people. You don't get to look for others.

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:06 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 11:06 AM #152 of 317
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I find it sickening too. But you have to do it.
I don't see why. I have to do it in my job, already, but why should I have to do it when I'm searching for someone who will understand me?
Why on earth wouldn't you want to cut out a lot of the unnecessary bullshit, and get rid of the people you know you wouldn't like in the first place?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:14 AM #153 of 317
Originally Posted by Minion
We've already discussed that it's not a meat market. You don't get to choose your matches. With other sites, you go around looking at pictures and you talk to whoever you want. That is a meat market, yes. With eharmony, you get maybe 3 matches at once and you have to deal with those people. You don't get to look for others.
Why SHOULD you? Thanks for proving my point! Everything is laid before you quite nicely, isn't it? "Hello, Minion. These are your three MATCHES! Good luck!"

It is pretty much taking your tastes, right, in say FOOD. And telling you "Well, you like calimari and pancakes! THESE are the GREATEST CALIMARI AND PANCAKE SHOPS IN THE WORLD!"

It IS a meat market, but not in the way that you usually think of the typical proverbial meat market.

You don't get to chose ANYTHING, do you. Heh

Originally Posted by Skex
I don't see why. I have to do it in my job, already, but why should I have to do it when I'm searching for someone who will understand me?
Because thats how mate selection goes. Do you know how much you LEARN from the experience?
Quote:
Why on earth wouldn't you want to cut out a lot of the unnecessary bullshit, and get rid of the people you know you wouldn't like in the first place?
Because you need to learn how to think for yourself. It IS necessary. THATS what I am trying to tell you. ;_;

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:25 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 11:25 AM #154 of 317
Because thats how mate selection goes. Do you know how much you LEARN from the experience?
Not really. But that's how you've accepted mate selection goes, not how it does. It's convention versus invention.

Quote:
Because you need to learn how to think for yourself. It IS necessary. THATS what I am trying to tell you. ;_;
You know as well as I do that I have ready opinions of my own. You can't even fill out the personality profile on the site unless you can talk about what you like and what you dislike. Being antagonized by some bitch that's lecturing me on the finer points of why she likes watching Desperate Housewives, and eating salad, ravioli (and oh yeah, let's get dessert too) off of my dollar doesn't inform me of anything except what I already know, which is that honesty of personality is practically nonexistant in a traditional date setting.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:33 AM #155 of 317
You know, I never thought about that, but the stuff you know going into an eharmony relationship will generally take you about a month to get a feel for otherwise.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:34 AM #156 of 317
Originally Posted by Skexis
Not really. But that's how you've accepted mate selection goes, not how it does. It's convention versus invention.
I really disagree. I think its very important to be able to get out there and not fear failure. Failure is as great as success. eHarmony caters to those who are afraid of failure. I think people need to stop worrying about it so much and learn from failure. Theres a lot to be said about learning from failure.

Thats not to say you CANT fail at eHarmony. Nothing is failsafe.

Quote:
You know as well as I do that I have ready opinions of my own.
Yup.
Quote:
You can't even fill out the personality profile on the site unless you can talk about what you like and what you dislike.
Sure.
Quote:
Being antagonized by some bitch that's lecturing me on the finer points of why she likes watching Desperate Housewives, and eating salad, ravioli (and oh yeah, let's get dessert too) off of my dollar doesn't inform me of anything except what I already know, which is that honesty of personality is practically nonexistant in a traditional date setting.
Your dollar wouldn't buy you that, though. (Chances are, anyways. LIke I said, nothing is failsafe. The INTENT is for your bypass that shit.)

Its important to know that if you DO go out on a date with a woman like this (ahahaha, I would hate it too), you have the right to chose and learn from your decision. You simply either duck out of the date or you never call her again. You have learned something you DISLIKE and you have learned how to DEAL with that.

You're missing that entire experience from eHarmony. You're just given people that you're most likely to have chemistry with. Which in my book is ultimate cheating.

How ya doing, buddy?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:38 AM #157 of 317
If it's cheating, what's the test? To find happiness? And who's grading?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:38 AM #158 of 317
You're just given people that you're most likely to have chemistry with. Which in my book is ultimate cheating.
I totally disagree with you there. You're given people that you're COMPATIBLE with, which is an entirely different thing than chemistry. I'd bet my left arm that the percentage of people who actually experience chemistry with a person they meet on eharmony is less than 1%. I mean, that's hard enough to find meeting someone in person. Compatibility? Things in common? Sure. But chemistry? No way.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:39 AM #159 of 317
If it's cheating, what's the test? To find happiness? And who's grading?
Nice misinterpretation, Minion.

"Selling yourself short by a long shot." Hows that. You want to misinterpret that, too?

Alice, chemistry and compatibility (did I spell that right?) are the same in my book. Sorry. It lines up people you HAVE A GOOD CHANCE of having something with. Hows that?

And "activities you mutually enjoy" aren't always going to score your your perfect mate. (Its hilarious to think so, though!)

FELIPE NO
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:44 AM #160 of 317
Well, it looks like none of us are on the same page.

One thing, though.

Quote:
And "activities you mutually enjoy" aren't always going to score your your perfect mate. (Its hilarious to think so, though!)
It's more than just activities. They ask you a bunch of questions about your personality. Is there something else that's necessary to secure your perfect mate?

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:48 AM #161 of 317
Quote:
It's more than just activities. They ask you a bunch of questions about your personality. Is there something else that's necessary to secure your perfect mate?
It depends on who you're asking. To me, chemistry boils down to purely animalistic sexual attraction to a person. I've dated a ton of guys who I seemed to be very compatible with, but nothing "clicked" physically or sexually or whatever it is. I can't even articulate it, to be honest. But it's something that's either there or it's not, and I can't live without it. Also, it rarely happens (to me, anyway).

Some people can, though, so I'm not knocking you.

How ya doing, buddy?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:49 AM #162 of 317
Well, it looks like none of us are on the same page.
Probably not. Its fun to discuss, though.

Quote:
Depends on who you are, frankly.

Alice, we already know that you and I differ vastly on the topic of "physical" chemistry. I tend to ignore the looks and go straight for whats in the head. Some people seem to look at the barrier of looks before whats in the head. Its all depends on the person.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:49 AM #163 of 317
I really want to figure out what this "chemistry" is. Are you quite certain that it's not just a subtle personality trait that you can't articulate about?

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:52 AM #164 of 317
I really want to figure out what this "chemistry" is. Are you quite certain that it's not just a subtle personality trait that you can't articulate about?
I think "chemistry" is just something that causes two people who have never met before to really....um...jive well together.

I've met people (who I never intended to be my mate) that I REALLY jive well with. You're comfortable just sitting quietly with silence between you. There IS no awkward silence. You just kind of enjoy each other. And it feels like you've known each other a long long time.

A person you can let yourself be REAL with, I guess?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:52 AM #165 of 317
Minion, it might be, because I think it has very little to do with a person's looks, as evidenced by the fact that the guys I've dated who wouldn't be considered conventionally attractive are often the ones I've been the most sexually attracted to. I've often wondered if it's a smell. It could definitely be a personality trait, although if it is, I've yet to put my finger on it.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:54 AM #166 of 317
Now, Sass. What you're describing is the kind of rapport I have with one of my close friends. He's a guy though and I'm not gay. So, is chemistry possible between two people who don't want to have sex?

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:55 AM #167 of 317
No, that's comfort. Not chemistry. Two COMPLETELY different things.

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:57 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 11:57 AM #168 of 317
Its important to know that if you DO go out on a date with a woman like this (ahahaha, I would hate it too), you have the right to chose and learn from your decision. You simply either duck out of the date or you never call her again. You have learned something you DISLIKE and you have learned how to DEAL with that.
That's the thing, though. How do I know whether or not she was being socially open with me? How honest was she being? Was she chatting me up because she was nervous, and there's really a lot more going on behind the scenes?

Do I really want to spend more money to find out? Do I want to waste both of our times and make obligations that don't pan out? Do I want to give her the wrong impression because I'm curious about knowing her a bit more intimately?

And don't try to tell me that these things get easier to recognize with experience. I'm sure to some extent that's true, but what it really boils down to is gut instinct.

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:00 PM #169 of 317
Now, Sass. What you're describing is the kind of rapport I have with one of my close friends. He's a guy though and I'm not gay. So, is chemistry possible between two people who don't want to have sex?
Alice will disagree with me, but ABSOLUTEY.

Chemistry means (in my head) that some things are MEANT to go together. Not necessarily for sex, but for mental health and camaraderie that naturally exists between certain people.

I mean, hopefully, the person you eventually settle down with longterm IS your best friend, right? Thats most important, no?

Originally Posted by Skex
That's the thing, though. How do I know whether or not she was being socially open with me? How honest was she being? Was she chatting me up because she was nervous, and there's really a lot more going on behind the scenes?
You can't worry about it. If you worry like that about every woman you date, you're going to end up wasting a lot of your time.

Off topic, I hate people who aren't honest when they meet you. Just TALK to me. I'll talk BACK. Be true. ;_;

(Also, this is where that EXPERIENCE could help in being able to determine these things! ^_^ )

Quote:
Do I really want to spend more money to find out? Do I want to waste both of our times and make obligations that don't pan out? Do I want to give her the wrong impression because I'm curious about knowing her a bit more intimately?
Wow. You DO need more social interaction. ;_;

How about taking it step-by-step, really slowly, and not worrying about those things. Just show her who you are - if you do, hopefully SHE will feel comfortable to show YOU, too. Not everyone is socially OUTGOING enough to lay everything on the line and take some risks.

Its an art. It really is. Thats why I HATE these dating services claiming to be able to do miraculous things for lonely people. They need to do it on their own. ;_;

Quote:
And don't try to tell me that these things get easier to recognize with experience. I'm sure to some extent that's true, but what it really boils down to is gut instinct.
I disagree. I think you need to know what card game you're playing before sitting down at the table.

If you don't know the rules of the game, you won't be able to do the best you could do.

Don't yell at me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by I poked it and it made a sad sound; Mar 15, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:04 PM #170 of 317
So, in conclusion, Chemistry is another of those words that all women use and yet none agree on. Like "confident".

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:05 PM #171 of 317
So, in conclusion, Chemistry is another of those words that all women use and yet none agree on. Like "confident".
I think "confident" is pretty clear cut. Who the hell decided it wasn't while I had my back turned?!

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:06 PM #172 of 317
Well, some women secretly mean "obnoxious".

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:08 PM #173 of 317
Well, some women secretly mean "obnoxious".
Who the bloody hell are you talking about?

WHO thinks confidence is obnoxious. WHO. I don't think I've seen any GFFing FEMALES say that shit.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:09 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:09 PM #174 of 317
In summary, I think possibly the worst words that I should ever have to hear are "I had a good time tonight."

ORLY. Care to expand on that? Give me more than the normative prerequisite for spending my money.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:10 PM #175 of 317
What he means is that he thinks women secretly prefer the obnoxious, rude types, but they veil it behind the "I like confident men" statement.

Which is retarded.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > eHarmony.