Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:55 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 09:55 PM #1701 of 3592
Thanks Metal, Skills, I'm not very famliar with those types of memory "cards" if you will. Maybe out of those three I know the type that the digital camera uses, but the others I haven't had much exposure too. I guess its just another medium for data storage. Cool.

I was speaking idiomatically.

- What we all do best -
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:17 AM #1702 of 3592
Speculation has it that the virtual console for the PSP to allow it to play PS1 games will use game images downloaded from your PC or your PS3, which might make the card readers useful for gamers, but seeing how you could just use the USB cord it's still not all that needed. Then again on the other hand card readers are only $8 - $12 so I guess it's not really going to cost me all that much for something that I'll never use. (and the reader's only in the premium model)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 12:50 AM #1703 of 3592
Well, don't you need to store the games/images/whatever onto these memory cards to play on the PSP, as it contains no internal storage? Simple connectivity via usb to transfer onto the memory card I guess would also work, but perhaps this is for convenience purposes. I actually do recall seeing a video of the PS3's photo viewer, reading photos from a SD card or something like it...

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:52 AM #1704 of 3592
Originally Posted by BlueBomber
Well, don't you need to store the games/images/whatever onto these memory cards to play on the PSP, as it contains no internal storage? Simple connectivity via usb to transfer onto the memory card I guess would also work, but perhaps this is for convenience purposes. I actually do recall seeing a video of the PS3's photo viewer, reading photos from a SD card or something like it...
You could simply connect a USB cable to the device with the images on it (say, a camera) and it should simply be able to send the images to the HDD. You don't need the cards, but it's convenient not having a card hanging around, I guess.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:57 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 12:57 AM #1705 of 3592
I was just thinking, are memory cards a thing of the past now? I mean like actual PlayStation memory cards. Can all of your saves be saved onto any old card now? Sort of like the PSP? I can't believe I don't know the answer to this...or didn't think about it before for that matter.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:03 AM #1706 of 3592
Originally Posted by BlueBomber
I was just thinking, are memory cards a thing of the past now? I mean like actual PlayStation memory cards. Can all of your saves be saved onto any old card now? Sort of like the PSP? I can't believe I don't know the answer to this...or didn't think about it before for that matter.
Here's as close to an answer as I can find:

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/so...ost278643.html

Most amazing jew boots

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:48 PM #1707 of 3592
So what's the word on selling PS3s on eBay? Will it be ok when the release day comes along or is there going to be a ban on PS3 auctions?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:59 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 10:59 AM #1708 of 3592
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
So what's the word on selling PS3s on eBay? Will it be ok when the release day comes along or is there going to be a ban on PS3 auctions?
It seems Ebay is being pressured to remove all PS3 hardware related auctions until early next year. At this point nobody really knows if they will actually put a ban on the auctions.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Cetra; Oct 13, 2006 at 02:02 PM.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:07 PM #1709 of 3592
Have they made an official statement about this?

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:34 PM #1710 of 3592
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Have they made an official statement about this?
I don't believe so but the reason eBay was removing auctions before was because sellers were breaking eBay policies, IE items being listed must be on hand and ready to ship within 30 days of auction ending.

So technically you can have a listing for a PS3 up on eBay now as long as the auction ends after October 17th because then by the 30 day timeframe the PS3 will be available nationwide.

BTW Did anyone else read Eurogamer's write up about the 'PS3 Online Interface'?
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68677

There's some good stuff there and if Sony manages to pull it all off....Either way I like the option of being able to download PS1 and PS2 titles which would help with some backlogged or missed titles. Maybe this allow territories in Europe and so on to finally be able to experience Xenogears, Chrono Cross and even Parasite Eve without import fees and mod methods.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 03:20 PM #1711 of 3592
Yeah, I read that earlier, and it all sounds very promising. I especially like that they aren't disguising the online fees by calling them "points". Also, I wonder if the downloaded PS1/PS2 games will also benefit from the PS3's enhancements? If that's the case, then the original disc isn't needed to enable the features. Makes me wonder if HD Loader will be compatible with the system, or if someone can create something similar real soon. The system does leave a lot of ports for potential homebrew.

Here's a question I was saving for a Gamestop clerk later on, but let's see if someone here can answer for me. So the system is launching on November 17, which is a workday for me. Since I don't leave work until 3:00pm, nabbing a system would've been a problem if my sister didn't reserve it for me. However, the whole "first come first serve, even with pre-orders" policy has me a bit worried; if one of the reserved systems is lost or damaged, then the remaining systems go out to whoever of the reserved customers pick them up first. That poses a problem if I'm the last reserved client to enter the store.

I'd ask my sister to pick it up for me, but I don't want her to have to wait in line with everyone else. So my question is, if she has a reserve ticket, will the clerk let her bypass the line completely and enter the store? If that was the case, I'd ask her to meet up before the store opened again, and just waltz right in and pick up my system.

FELIPE NO
Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:22 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 01:22 PM #1712 of 3592
No, you'll have to wait in line.

Just take a sick day and tough it out.

How ya doing, buddy?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:56 PM #1713 of 3592
That's seriously not fair. Why would the reservers have to wait in line like everyone else, when they're guaranteed the system? The way this whole arrangement goes, it should go reservers>regular buyers.

My job is still new, so I don't really want to lie. I guess I'll have to either send my sister out around noon (2 hours after the store opens, so the line should die down. keyword is "should"), or just leave it up to fate and check the store later at 3:00pm.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:09 PM #1714 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
That's seriously not fair. Why would the reservers have to wait in line like everyone else, when they're guaranteed the system? The way this whole arrangement goes, it should go reservers>regular buyers.

My job is still new, so I don't really want to lie. I guess I'll have to either send my sister out around noon (2 hours after the store opens, so the line should die down. keyword is "should"), or just leave it up to fate and check the store later at 3:00pm.
You should be lucky you was even able to reserve it. There won't be any "regular buyers" because the number of preorder units your GameStop store was allowing to be reserved is the total number of units they'll be receiving and that'll be available. Period.

For example my nearest EB store is only getting 8 units and all 8 were preordered so if I was one of the lucky 8 then I shouldn't have to worry. If you're really that paranoid about the small chances of lost or broken units then sure, go in as early as possible and pick it up but I wouldn't really see a need to do so.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:21 PM #1715 of 3592
Okay, that makes more sense. So in other words, there shouldn't even be a line aside from the 8-16 people who pre-ordered it in the first place, because they'll only have systems for the reservers and nothing for regular walk-ins?

In that case it shouldn't be a problem for my sister to pick up mine when the store opens while I'm at work. Or again, I can just wait after work. The chance that something will happen to the shipment is small, but it's not something I'd want to risk.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:37 PM #1716 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Okay, that makes more sense. So in other words, there shouldn't even be a line aside from the 8-16 people who pre-ordered it in the first place, because they'll only have systems for the reservers and nothing for regular walk-ins?
Correct.

You'll be seeing lineups at the likes of Best Buy and Wal-Mart because they have no reserve system, that I know of, and they're only supposed to be getting a maximum of 10 units while EB/GameStop has a max of 16 depending on store location. There's no harm in going early though to pick up your system but then there should be no problem in going at 3pm either.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:59 PM #1717 of 3592
Very nice. Although I still hope GS will put some sort of sign indicating that the systems are for reservers only, to cut down on any potential idiots who think they can camp out and get lucky.

Only thing left to decide now is which launch game to get. I'm still leaning towards Resistence, but I want to read the first couple of reviews before I fork over the money. I'm also waiting to see if there might be any store specials like Best Buy that will cut the price down to $50, or any other bonus deals.

So far the plan is to get Resistence at launch, rent something later on (Ridge Racer maybe), then grab another game by christmas (Oblivion or FEAR).

Most amazing jew boots
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:25 PM #1718 of 3592
I imagine they will just because your average consumer won't know about the preorders which is surprising how fast that all happened. EB/GS didn't even have a time to announce it and all it took was a couple of message boards to spread the info like wildfire.

I'm trying to get our work to stock PS3 titles for rental. I'm not sure if Blockbuster is going to jump on the wagon just yet given they waited with the 360 so it'll give us the edge and it'll help for those who spent $600 on a machine but had nothing for a game.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:59 PM #1719 of 3592
Yeah, I'm not sure if Blockbuster will have PS3/Wii games available by then, and even if they did, the possible cost (current games cost $8-$10 a rental) might put me off. Good thing there's Gamefly and its free trials.

Another possibility regarding the launch is that they might distribute the systems the night before, at midnight. They did it for the PSP, so it's possible they'll do the same for PS3, in which case that would be the best option for me.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:21 PM #1720 of 3592
Looks like we were right, there's a PS3/PS2 Controller adapter:

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?c...ct%5Fid=802566

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:57 PM #1721 of 3592
I was hoping you wouldn't need an adaptor to use a PS2 controller, but for 5 bucks, whatever. As long as the adaptor is double-sided (for two players).

randomwab
Aquila Jama 'oca

Member 494

Level 14.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:41 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2006, 11:41 AM #1722 of 3592
That's good news. At least I don't have to shell out for more Sixaxis to play Timesplitters with friends.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Welcome to Silent Hill
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 03:41 PM #1723 of 3592
Resistance Online Blowout.
Quite a bit of Resistance's online MP has come up online. A lot of this is courtesy of the folks over on GAF (and jetjevons, apparently an employee of Insomniac)

Edit: Ted's a real cool guy it seems, too bad his ass keeps getting roasted trying to explain things. =)

Game Informer Resistance MP videos

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3 (stat tracking)

Breach Gameply Mode Part 1

Breach Gameplay Mode Part 2

Playing as a Chimera

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 14, 2006 at 03:47 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 04:23 PM #1724 of 3592
I'm freaking sold. A detail-oriented guy like me goes crazy over all those stats and options. Also, that guy's TV makes me jealous.

The subject of headsets reminds me that I'll have to upgrade to something better than the one I'm using now (came with SOCOM 1). Anyone have any recommendations for a durable wireless headset (that's also affordable; nothing fancy, just good reception and volume control)?

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 05:26 PM #1725 of 3592
There used to be a really good one made by logitech and approved by Sony that had volume control, a mute button and all of that for like $30CAD. Don't know if they still make them, but they were good. I myself will probably use the same Socom 1 headset that I used from Killzone to Metal Gear Online, and soon to be Resistance.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread