Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

KIDOU KEISATSU PATLABOR

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:48 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 10:48 AM #126 of 166
Is this a Pat Fan quiz or something?

[EDITED FOR CONTEST] WILL POST MY ANSWERS AFTER CONTEST IS OVER.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Apr 27, 2006 at 02:05 PM.
Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:56 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 06:56 PM #127 of 166
Originally Posted by Spatula
Is this a Pat Fan quiz or something?
No, it's a chance to score a free copy of the LE. And by giving away the answers you've effectively lowered your own chances of winning. (Although I think you may have gotten one or two of them wrong anyway.)

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Pyocola; Apr 27, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:03 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:03 PM #128 of 166
#4 and # 9 I don't know about.

Also for # 8, Of course it's the BLAH BLAH, I thought this was asking Pat questions in general, but I was wondering how come it's so focused on the 1st movie trivia.

Also, is this open to US only or internationally. I tried to look at the rules and stuff but can't seem to locate it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Apr 27, 2006 at 02:08 PM.
Boo-kun
boo u

Member 311

Level 20.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:28 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:28 PM #129 of 166
I really should get everything included in this serie.
but
Legally expensive, hard/impossible to find. And I somehow doubt there's a torrent for all this.
So my best bet is to let Q collect them and then confiscate.. loan them.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:26 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:26 PM #130 of 166
Also, is this open to US only or internationally. I tried to look at the rules and stuff but can't seem to locate it.
I'm fairly sure previous contests have been open to US and Canada only (Region 1.)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:36 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 07:36 PM #131 of 166
Perhaps I should take another watch of the movie again. But I hope they're basing their questions off the subbed stuff, however unlikely. I'm guessing there's a few details which were in the dubbed track not included in the subbed track. I don't recall the answers to # 4 or # 9. Perhaps it's during the opening scene where the helicopter pilot says shit about how labors help society but there's crime, and SHI is based somewhere (HINT HINT) and then talks to Noa and Asuma. Maybe I shouldn't be typing this. (-_-)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

- What we all do best -
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:18 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 08:18 PM #132 of 166
It's finally here~

It sure took a long time to get here, but man is this a sweet package <3
I can't wait to get to watch this tonight, though I need to watch the Eurovisions 2006 finals first. THEN it's Patlabor time!

More pictures here in case anyone's interested.

EDIT:
I took a little peek of the film, just to see how the picture quality is and there's quite some changes.

[21:12:04] <Q-chan> Wow, they've completely reworked the film
[21:12:16] <Q-chan> the picture is so good, and they've redone the sound
[21:12:43] <Q-chan> the music is arranged. Same composition, but slightly different arranegements and a lot more instruments in use
[21:12:53] <Q-chan> a lot of new sound effects where there were none
[21:13:12] <Q-chan> and they must have removed something as well, at least the parachute sounds at the very beginning weren't there

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; May 20, 2006 at 01:14 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:06 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 12:06 PM #133 of 166
GOD DAMN! I'm trying to save up money here...;_;

PATLABOR 2 gonna eat my wallet liek wut.

I was speaking idiomatically.

- What we all do best -
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:16 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 10:16 PM #134 of 166
I've already decided I'm not going to go through this again and I'll just order the Patlabor 2 LE directly to Finland and just pay whatever it costs me.

Oh and my LE box is number 1845 out of 10000 ~

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; May 20, 2006 at 02:23 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:18 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 12:18 PM #135 of 166
Herm...... God damn Q, now I feel so bad. I'd be funny if I get like 9912. But no. Not gonna happen.

Somehow now, I'm not so inclined to go to the upcoming local anime fest to spurge on useless anime figures. >_>

And I'm only like 50% done through building my Alphonse. Just you wait, Q.

EDIT:

Amirite. ::notgonnahappen::

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; May 20, 2006 at 02:31 PM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 06:41 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 02:41 AM #136 of 166
Man, they've really revamped everything about the film. I didn't think they'd redo the voice acting as well.

It's a subtle change, but the atmosphere and mood in certain scenes plays out differently now. It's still an amazing film by any standards and I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could seriously call this movie dull =/

Still, I wish they hadn't redone the ending theme, I liked the old version so much better. Now if there was a (easy) way to watch the film with the new picture and the old audio, that would be interesting~

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 07:43 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 05:43 PM #137 of 166
Quote:
I didn't think they'd redo the voice acting as well.
You gotta be kidding me for the Japanese cast. The English I couldn't really care about, but I don't want to hear how Briony Glassco/Mîna Tominaga sounds 15 years later. She now sounds like some obaasan. LOL. But of course they hired a whole new voice cast, amiwrong.

Quote:
Still, I wish they hadn't redone the ending theme
You gotta be fucking kidding me that they took out ASAHI NO NAKA. Heads are gonna roll.

- What we all do best -
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 03:12 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 11:12 AM #138 of 166
You gotta be kidding me for the Japanese cast. The English I couldn't really care about, but I don't want to hear how Briony Glassco/Mîna Tominaga sounds 15 years later. She now sounds like some obaasan. LOL. But of course they hired a whole new voice cast, amiwrong.
No, I'm not sure what they did here, but it's the same voice cast (as far as I can tell), but a lot of the dialogue was pronounced slightly differently than what I remember. so I assume it must have been rerecorded at some point (probably not specifically for this release in the US). Take for instance the Kanuka Clancy arrival scene:

Original audio (Manga Video)
New audio (Bandai)

Quote:
You gotta be fucking kidding me that they took out ASAHI NO NAKA. Heads are gonna roll.
Pay attention >=0 I didn't say they removed it. I said I wish they hadn't redone it and that I like the old version better, meaning they rerecorded the ending theme just like the rest of the music. It's the same theme, only differently arranged and more instruments so it sounds a bit different. It sounds more comical, closer to the Minipato parody version of the theme than the original style.

If there's some kind of Sound Renewal version of the Patlabor Movie OST like there was of P2, I'm pretty sure this Bandai version uses the same music, or something very similar.

Double Post:
As I should have expected, the Patlabor The Movie Archives book sheds light on this whole thing.

Basically, DVDs came, Dolby Digital was all the rage, so Headgear was encouraged to remaster the two movies into better shape, but because the original audio of the movie was, well.. old, they had to recreate the audio from scratch. So all of the dialogue was rerecorded, with the original cast, in 1998.

Kenji Kawai re-arranged the music as well, adding and using more instruments etc etc.

Soo, basically, once again, the US publisher fucks up.
As the last paragraph states, the Japanese release included both the original audio and the Sound Renewal version. I'm guessing the original audio "had" to be left out because of the english dub track.

Now, what the VAs and designers say in the text I agree with. The new mix is fascinating, making the experience richer, new, with such small subtle changes. More emphasis on sound effects in moments that used to be more or less silent, and vice verca, it's a wonderful new look into an old masterpiece, and because the original crew made it, you know it's close to their intended vision.
However, being denied the option to hear it like it was originally made, which should have been there anyway, is kinda ticking me off.

Like the text says, Patlabor 2 did not require rerecording, so I shouldn't be worried about there, but right now I am extremely tempted to try and find a DVD image rip of the Japanese LE, take the original audio track, and then compile and burn a DVD of my own with the Japane LE original audio and the US LE video and subtitles. Trouble is, I've no idea where to start looking.
Pyocola, any help? ;_;

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; May 22, 2006 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 10:32 AM #139 of 166
Q,

1) Rapidshare is being a bitch and not letting me get the new audio - I got the old one. email plz? ? ;__;

2) It sucks with them tampering with how Asahi no Naka sounds like. I want it to have been kept with a serious tone, ala the first way.

3) It's a good thing they did the re-recording in 1998. You Inoue, the seiyuu for Kanuka passed away in 2003, so it would have totally sucked for them to withhold doing the voice overs another 5 some years later. I'm guessing if they bothered to do a recording so many years later, perhaps there is still some hope for another Patlabor TV series (ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG, plus well...they did XIII)

Originally Posted by Schaft Enterprises
Kanuka is a Police Officer on loan from the New York Police Department. She is half Japanese-American, and yes it has been noted by western fans that she is the most Asian looking of the cast. She is a competent officer who does everything by the book and is often disgusted by the tactics used by the SV2. In Division 2 she acts as Ota's backup. The creators of Patlabor named Kanuka Clancy after novelist Tom Clancy. Kanuka appears in all versions of the anime except the second and third movies. She is voiced by You Inoue. She has also played Sayla Mass in "Mobile Suit Gundam" and Gepelnich in "Macross 7". You passed away at the age of 56 from Cancer on the 28 February 2003.

Most amazing jew boots

- What we all do best -
Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:19 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 07:19 PM #140 of 166
Hey, you got yours too! I got number 1775 by the way. And yes, unfortunately they didn't include the old 2.0 track, and no it was not because of the dub, it could easily have fit there anyway. I'm not exactly sure why they would want to leave it out, maybe it was just a dumb decision. Still, I think you're being too negative here, at least if you have a capable sound system the 5.1 track is totally the better experience! Flipping between the tracks (on the R3) during the final storm the old one is like 'pssshuu' and the new one is like 'KSHSHSHSH, WIND BLOWING, RAIN EVERYWHERE, IT'S A STORM!!!1'

*ehm*

And what's this thing about the ending? It was re-arranged just like all the other tracks, and it should be the same arrangement that's on the 1999 / Sound Renewal version of the soundtrack. Changing between that version and the one from 'Inquest' I can't say I really hear much difference in 'seriousness', the old version has just as many cowbells, those 'clack-clack' instruments and weird passages. The new one is mostly just louder and much clearer.

Anyway, if you want to compile a custom version why do you need the Japanese disc, didn't you have the old disc from Manga? You should be able to extract and use the old 2.0 soundtrack from that one.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:25 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 09:25 PM #141 of 166
Originally Posted by Pyocola
Anyway, if you want to compile a custom version why do you need the Japanese disc, didn't you have the old disc from Manga? You should be able to extract and use the old 2.0 soundtrack from that one.
Well, I guess I just assumed the Manga Video 2.0 is somehow inferior to the Japanese LE 2.0 =/

And again, since I use headphones, 5.1 in itself is largely irrelevant for me.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:32 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 11:32 AM #142 of 166
Originally Posted by I love IKEA
'KSHSHSHSH, WIND BLOWING, RAIN EVERYWHERE, IT'S A STORM!!!1'
Somehow, that just made me laugh uncontrollably.
Noa's in your arc, taking out your labors.

Seriously now, I want Patlabor 2 LE. ;_;

- What we all do best -
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:47 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 09:47 PM #143 of 166
I'd also argue that of course a 2.0 mix is going to sound quiet on some weedy home theater speakers that are like ten feet away from you, since usually the sound gets distributed on at least 3 more speakers =/

I've watched the Manga Video release plenty of times wearing headphones and the howl of the wind is massively powerful in either version. However, the 5.1 mix emphasized music over sound effects in some scenes (which it did not do in the 2.0) so the howl gets lost, while some scenes emphasized sounds over music. These are only noticeable because I'm so used to the 2.0 mix, though.

The horns in the 5.1's ending theme sound entirely different from the original version though. I don't have the Sound Renewal OST for P1, so I haven't gotten used to it like you have, apparently.
Similarly, I feel that the original version of Heavy Armor (the theme that plays at the start during the runaway crab labor incident) has a bit more oomph to it because of the "hardness" of the synth, while the new instruments soften the tune a lot in the 5.1. This is what happened to In the Morning Sunlight (the ending theme) as well.

But that's obviously just me, I never like listening to the Sound Renewal OST of P2 either.

How ya doing, buddy?

Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 03:36 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 09:36 PM #144 of 166
Originally Posted by Qwarky
Well, I guess I just assumed the Manga Video 2.0 is somehow inferior to the Japanese LE 2.0 =/
I don't think it is, but the 2.0 track doesn't sound very good anyway so I think any minor differences wouldn't matter much.

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 11:19 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 09:19 PM #145 of 166
Not quite Patlabot 1: LE, but I did pick this up today at the anime fest.

- What we all do best -
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 06:16 PM Local time: May 24, 2006, 04:16 PM #146 of 166
I just looked up Amazon to see what the cover of the Patlabor 2 LE looks like:

I personally don't like it. Now it looks like some sort of anime action movie that's full of HOLY SHIT ACTION that's gonna rock your socks. It gives a totally wrong impression in my opinion. Plus it's too busy looking.

The Manga Entertainment cover looks like this which was much more visually appealing and gave a sense of uneasyness as Shinobu's struggle with her duties as a police officer and that of her former lover:

See how visually appealing it is? It's not too busy and yet still holds quite well.

- What we all do best -
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 04:09 AM Local time: May 25, 2006, 12:09 PM #147 of 166
The Manga cover isn't even that good, but the LE cover is pretty awful. But then so was the P1 LE as well. They just take two figures from two different covers (probably the front and back of the Archives book like with P1) and then stick them together in a shitty photoshop job.

Ah well, I'm buying it for the film and books anyway.

Incidentally, I had no idea P2 was coming out in July already, I better ask my aunt again if we can order it, I thought it was coming out later in the fall.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 08:53 AM Local time: May 25, 2006, 06:53 AM #148 of 166
Speaking of Pat 2 covers, here's my favorite:

I think I've seen a VCD of this using this cover, and it looked quite nice. There's also the one with the tank and the Tokyo Metro building, but I think that was for a promo poster.

And here's my favorite for the Pat 1 cover from the Korean version:

- What we all do best -
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 06:38 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 04:38 PM #149 of 166
Giving this thread a casual bump:

It looks like this is the regular edition Patlabor 2 cover. Still, pretty meh:

Is that even supposed to be Shinobu. She looks like a housewife.

- What we all do best -
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:08 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 07:08 PM #150 of 166
LOL Model Kits LOL

Finally, I got the "regular" Master Grade 1/35 Alphonse about 90% done and thought to post it here as well.

And to think I still have Ingram 2 and 3 to build, plus the Command Car and the EXTL.

I'll be updating this regularly in this Hanger Bay 42.2 Thread to keep things nicely together.

- What we all do best -

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > KIDOU KEISATSU PATLABOR