Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

British Chris
Carob Nut

Member 82

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:57 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 01:57 PM #1401 of 3592
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
Besides, Sony (and Microsoft) still hasn't come up with a mascot, and the only way they could ever hope to do it is if they do a launch title along with the system.
one could argue though that Sony did create one in Crash Bandicoot, but then he's kinda disappeared after mario and sonic kicked his ass basically.
microsoft have Master Chief, probably one of the only hugely successful things to come out from them with regards to videogames (on the scale of the others anyway)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:14 AM #1402 of 3592
ZOE3 and SH5 confirmed for PS3:
Scan for ZOE3 but not SH5: http://www.metalgearsolid.org/admin/...sm3_zoe3_2.jpg
Info from new PSM. Someone on the PS3 forums has the mag and says ZOE3 may come out before MGS4 and come with a demo of MGS4 just like ZOE1 did with MGS2. Also the Magazine says SH5 is being developed by a US team and should of been at TGS, maybe Sony held it back?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:20 AM #1403 of 3592
PSM3, the same magazine that broke the ZOE3 and SH5 news has just received a PS3 from Sony along with Motorstorm beta, Resistance and a few other titles:

Source

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:33 AM #1404 of 3592
It's just 'confirmation' that there will be a confirmation on ZOE 3 in the next issue. I'm not immediately dismissing the news as false, I just want to remain cautiously optimistic until the screenshots are revealed.

How long until that PSM3 site updates? I want to read their impressions on the system's bells and whistles, namely how PS1 and PS2 games play and what visual enhancements you can implement.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:37 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 07:37 PM #1405 of 3592
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
I think for six hundred fucking dollars they could throw a short Jak & Daxter game my way. Hell, when I bought my stupid Soundblast 16 card I got six fully functional (and pretty decent quality) games with it.

Besides, Sony (and Microsoft) still hasn't come up with a mascot, and the only way they could ever hope to do it is if they do a launch title along with the system.
Lots of effort was placed into the first Jak & Daxter even though it was terribly short. Then the series seemed to take a really odd turn for the worst with this mutated looking Jak.

Everyone's going to be judging the PS3 by it's launch titles and graphics of them so I don't think anything like that will happen.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:42 AM #1406 of 3592
Here'a a whole slew of photos of RR7 at TGS, again, courtesy of DCharlie from GAF. Notice the "=O" face on one guy playing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:53 AM #1407 of 3592
MAn I just got back from plsying RR6 on my 360 and I was just saying how it's still one of the best looking games for the 360 (wgich is sad). However when I look at these pics it makes RR6 look like a cartoon, lol. Thanks.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:57 AM #1408 of 3592
That's unbelievably close to what DCharlie and Wollan said over on GAF. They kept reemphasizing that while the art direction and overall style of the game remained the same, the lighting, courses and clever use of textures and subtle HDR lighting really makes a difference.

Not to mention the hyper-crisp resolution and 60fps gameplay. In other words, a marked improvement. We don't know if this is just a port up or a "from the ground up" title. We'll have to wait and see if Oblivion looks like the above in photos.

Edit: Confirmation of PS3 XMB OS running at 1080p, Friends list, etc.. Notice the Memory Card Utility (PS/PS2) option in the game area.

Video

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Sep 30, 2006 at 12:10 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 09:42 AM #1409 of 3592
Originally Posted by Elixir
Lots of effort was placed into the first Jak & Daxter even though it was terribly short. Then the series seemed to take a really odd turn for the worst with this mutated looking Jak.

Everyone's going to be judging the PS3 by it's launch titles and graphics of them so I don't think anything like that will happen.
I'm just saying Jak & Daxter as an example, since prepackaged games have traditionally been the platformer type (other than Tetris which is a good enough puzzler that everyone likes it). They could try to make a new set of characters since Jak, Sly, and Ratchet are supposed to be nearing the end of their lifecycles (haven't all the developers said that they only wanted to make 3-4 games for each?).

I'm not asking for a full sized game, I'd just like something that's a little bigger than a demo disk. And besides, if it's a good game, the cost of including it with the console should be evened out by the massive advertising campaign they get out of it for the next game in the series. Seriously, who here didn't want to play the next game in the Super Mario series after they bought it (or Donkey Kong Country if you bought that package)?

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:41 AM #1410 of 3592
First sighting of that famed PS3 Best Boy setup posted earlier. The motto for the U.S. seems to be Play Beyond.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 1, 2006 at 03:40 PM.
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:43 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2006, 10:43 AM #1411 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Do I sense Mii-esque profile images? If you watch the video, all the profile faces have that same simplistic style to them, as if they were put together by little pieces kind of like PSO's face emotes. If so, I'd dig it.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:48 PM #1412 of 3592
If anything, Nintendo is taking the cue from Sony given we saw these rounded icons way back in '05. And again before we even knew what the Wii's interface looked like. One common complaint it's getting is that it's sterile and soulless, even though the solution to that is just put up a wallpaper.

The video basically showed us a rather intuitive and responsive setup.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:53 PM #1413 of 3592
Actually I read that kiosk is for Wal-Mart. I thought the Best Buy one was supposed to be bigger (7.1 home theater connected)?

It's nice that you can choose the TV and Audio input from the start (and I assume, makes it the default setting for all PS3 games), but where's the widescreen option? I'm really hoping that setting widescreen on the console=widescreen for every single PS3 game.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 03:12 PM #1414 of 3592
HD resolutions are widescreen by nature, SOLDIER. And there's another screen floating around that shows the resolution list goes from 480i all the way up to 1080p and then it says "Custom" after that.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:00 PM #1415 of 3592
I know that this is a bit off topic, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

I myself love the OS menu of the PS3. I like it for a couple of reasons, and for lack of a better example of what not to do I'm going to use the 360's dashboard to show what Sony has done well, even though there are good sides to the 360's dashboard too.

First is how easy it is to get around the PS3's menus. Unlike the 360 that has an animation that you have to watch to get from one area to the next, while it looks cool, it eventually becomes annoying and uneeded. Where the PS3 is straight to the point, and still looks good doing it.

Second is the fact that like the 360 you can bring it up at any time, but because it's not as animation loaded it's not going to freeze and cause slowdown do to memory shortages like the 360. This is also one of my largest problems with the 360.

Third, no adds. It's one thing to have adds when you're online, but when you're offline I don't want to be seeing some companies efforts to sell me crap stuck in my face every time I want to just go and listen to music or what have you.

Lastly is the continuation of FULL mouse & keyboard support. Even though you'll more then likely be using your headset for messages to your friends, when it comes to the web browsing you can surf the web just as though you were on a computer. Unlike the Wii, where if you want to do ANYTHING on the net, you have to pick and poke with the damn Wiimote... also the PS3's browser is free unlike the Wii's.

Well that's my rant. Others can elaberate onto this in case there's other points that I have missed.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Slayer X; Oct 1, 2006 at 09:03 PM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:29 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2006, 11:29 AM #1416 of 3592
Originally Posted by Slayer X
Lastly is the continuation of FULL mouse & keyboard support. Even though you'll more then likely be using your headset for messages to your friends, when it comes to the web browsing you can surf the web just as though you were on a computer. Unlike the Wii, where if you want to do ANYTHING on the net, you have to pick and poke with the damn Wiimote... also the PS3's browser is free unlike the Wii's.

Well that's my rant. Others can elaberate onto this in case there's other points that I have missed.
Oh, the web isn't free, your more than paying for it. Thats one of the things I DONT like about sony. I just want a damn game system. Stop selling me other crap ;.;

Wii browser will be free for the first 6 months or so, not that I'll be using it, just saying. While the Wii also seems to have alot of extra crap in it, I don't mind so much, because it doesn't feel like I'm really paying for it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:34 PM #1417 of 3592
Originally Posted by avanent
Oh, the web isn't free, your more than paying for it. Thats one of the things I DONT like about sony. I just want a damn game system. Stop selling me other crap ;.;
Quote:
Wii browser will be free for the first 6 months or so, not that I'll be using it, just saying. While the Wii also seems to have alot of extra crap in it, I don't mind so much, because it doesn't feel like I'm really paying for it.
Huh? The web isn't free, period. Just because Nintendo is more adept than Sony at pulling the wool over your eyes by making you feel like you aren't paying for it, doesn't mean that's actually the case.

And comparing the features of the two, it's painfully obvious which one is duping you. BTW, what resolution does the Wii's browser run at?

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:17 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2006, 12:17 PM #1418 of 3592
Huh? The web isn't free, period. Just because Nintendo is more adept than Sony at pulling the wool over your eyes by making you feel like you aren't paying for it, doesn't mean that's actually the case.
Yes, I'm aware of what I was saying.

And comparing the features of the two, it's painfully obvious which one is duping you. BTW, what resolution does the Wii's browser run at?
600 usd to play fun games, no game included
250 usd to play fun games, wii sports included

yep.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:30 PM #1419 of 3592
$550 (for the standard)is more then worth it to me. I paid $500 for the PS2 when it came out and I have 85 games for it now and have beaten 76 of them, and am still playing it 4X more then my 360 and NGC put together.

This is due to the fact that I like fighting, music and RPG games... as well as the odd shooter. Therefore the Wii's platformer and sports games have no appeal to me what so ever.

Also I don't feel that the Wii is worth $300. Seeing how the NGC launched at $200 and the Wii is just a NGC with some more RAM and an overpriced controller with it as well as a game that I'll never play, the Wii to me is just a total rip.

In the end it all comes down to what kind of games you play. And when it comes to the types of games that I like, there's no contest.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:38 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2006, 12:38 PM #1420 of 3592
Originally Posted by Slayer X
$550 (for the standard)is more then worth it to me. I paid $500 for the PS2 when it came out and I have 85 games for it now and have beaten 76 of them, and am still playing it 4X more then my 360 and NGC put together.

This is due to the fact that I like fighting, music and RPG games... as well as the odd shooter. Therefore the Wii's platformer and sports games have no appeal to me what so ever.

Also I don't feel that the Wii is worth $300. Seeing how the NGC launched at $200 and the Wii is just a NGC with some more RAM and an overpriced controller with it as well as a game that I'll never play, the Wii to me is just a total rip.

In the end it all comes down to what kind of games you play. And when it comes to the types of games that I like, there's no contest.
I waited for price drops on the PS2, not only due to not wanting to spend the money, but also not wanting to recieve a unit that'd be messing up within a year or two.

Hardwares nice and all, but really I just want games I'll enjoy. Which is the reason why I still buy old PS1 games when I run across one I want and dont have. A good game is a good game is a good game, and should remain a good game even with the graphics become pathetic in comparison to modern graphics. Amazing graphics are only a plus, not a requirement.

And since the Wiis graphics are pretty nice to start with, spending all that extra is very hard for me to justify for the graphical improvement which I really don't care about.

Seeing how the PS3 is just a fancy PS2, without rumble, but borrowing nintendo's newest idea, as well as a marketing ploy to try and force Blu-ray... The PS3 just seems like a total rip to me.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by avanent; Oct 1, 2006 at 10:45 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:50 PM #1421 of 3592
You want to know something?

I think that audio doesn't matter.

Shocked? Why's that?
Is it because you think that good audio makes a better experiance?

Same goes for graphics my friend. Though gameplay is what keeps you in the game, it's not the part that creates emotion, and without emotion there is no "experiance". Audio and video are the only two components that game developers have to work with. No smell, no feel (slightly with rumble) and no taste. Therefore saying that graphics don't matter is like chopping another limb off of the ability to create feeling. Sometimes art style can counter this (ex. Okami) but when it comes to things like Gears of War and Call of Duty, art style doesn't work. For my final example if I were to play a game like Condemed but on the PS3 with graphics like the Suffering I can tell you that it wouldn't have even been half as scary. Therefore graphics matter.

As for the motion detection, both companies announced it at the same time so I don't know how people think that Nintendo came up with it first. It's a technology that's been around for years, and long before Nintendo. Therefore motion detection is just simply the next logical step. It's like saying that the Ps3 copied the 360 by having better graphics then the last system, it makes no sense.

Last edited by Slayer X; Oct 1, 2006 at 10:52 PM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:59 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2006, 12:59 PM #1422 of 3592
PS3 announced it at the same time? thats intresting, because no one knew about it till earlier this year. I knew about nintendo's developement in technology for I think nearing two years now, maybe longer, I can't even recall anymore when I first heard nintendo talk about it.

I really don't care that much about audio either...

Silent Hill 1 still creeps me alot, despite its archaic graphics. If you can't get into a game with lower specs, that due to your own limitations.

Also, there comes a point where you reach a threshold, where it costs significantly more to make minor improvements. We are rappidly approaching that threshold. Theres also a threshold, where the improvements are no longer worth the money required to improve the more minute ammounts. We are also nearing that threshold I believe.

Last edited by avanent; Oct 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:13 PM #1423 of 3592
You do realize that more power doesn't only mean better graphics... right?

Examples;

AI:
FEAR has some of the best AI to this day. They actually use tactics like distract and flank. As well as other manuvers that are quite impressive. To do this though you need more power.

To make levels larger and more interactive you need more power.

To do proper movements like the sword fighting in Assasin's Creed and White Knight Story you need more power.

Seeing a theme here? What's also interesting is how all these things are key to gameplay. You did say that you like great gameplay right? So why should we settle for the crappy collision detection and the ally AI that get's us killed if we can eleminate these things? Perhaps we are coming to the pinicle where graphics may not be able to advance much further. However there are many other things that have a long way to go.

When we get to the point where all these things have been mastered then I'll agree that we won't need to go any further, but until then, there are still many things that need to be done.

P.S.
About your question "Why does the PS3/you need a Blu-Ray player?". Resistance is already clocking in at about 20GB, therefore if it wasn't on Blu-Ray, you'd already have your first 2 DVD game... at LAUNCH.

P.S.S.
Metal: The Wii is maximum 480P, with a resolution of 640*480.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Slayer X; Oct 1, 2006 at 11:26 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:24 PM #1424 of 3592
Originally Posted by avanent
Yes, I'm aware of what I was saying.

600 usd to play fun games, no game included
250 usd to play fun games, wii sports included
Unforunately, when you throw in the $500 unit into the mix, it just makes the Wii look that much worse. It's also the one to be used in comparisons given the barebones nature of the Wii.

You pay twice as much, gain over twice as many features present in the Wii, it's easily more a value. And if the rumors pan out, it may well include a PSP-like demo disc.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2006, 01:26 PM #1425 of 3592
I care about having fun first and foremost.

If I can have the same fun at 250, why pay 500-600 usd for it?

Dual Double Layered Capactiy DVDs can hold upto 17gig according to wiki. Yes, that would still require two discs though, as it is currently. Also, coding is small in comparison to the graphic aspects. The game is so big because of the graphics. Blu-ray is not required for making Resistance a great game (if it is turns out to be a great game).

Unforunately, when you throw in the $500 unit into the mix, it just makes the Wii look that much worse. It's also the one to be used in comparisons given the barebones nature of the Wii.

You pay twice as much, gain over twice as many features present in the Wii, it's easily more a value. And if the rumors pan out, it may well include a PSP-like demo disc.
Paying _merely_ twice as much to have the same ammount of fun does not equate as making the Wii look bad. The feature that matters to me is enjoying playing games, have to pay twice as much for that does not sound like a good deal to me.

Last edited by avanent; Oct 1, 2006 at 11:29 PM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread