Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:07 AM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 12:07 AM #76 of 196
Er ok.. back to the topic.
Seems to be heavily action orientated this title seems.. more like the classic games. I like this a lot! Hope to see some crazy boss fights to go alongside, and wouldn't it be cool if you could ride vehicles (ie. tanks) in a metal slug fashion? Hehe.
But why does Jono still walk like Yoko?!

How ya doing, buddy?
ashaman
Life Animator

Member 964

Level 10.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 08:58 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 06:58 PM #77 of 196
I loved SOTN and am really getting hooked on the hype for this one. I want to try Dawn of Sorrow though just to see how well CV on the DS works.

Does anyone know where I can buy Dawn of Sorrow for a reasonable price ( < $40)? I've purchased it twice online (Konami.com and Mwave) only to have them e-mail me two weeks later saying they are out of stock. And none of the local GameStop/EBgames have used copies either. I know eBay has it but I can't find a game that ends for less than $50 with shipping.

If not I will just have to pick up PoR when it comes out!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:41 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 01:41 PM #78 of 196
You probably know this already but DAMN!
This is a sweet preorder bonus!
Originally Posted by GamesAreFun.com
The bonus is meant to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Castlevania. It includes a music CD with selected songs from the entire Castlevania series, a 48-page art book, a game card case, and a stylus.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:17 PM #79 of 196
Damn I need this collector's set. I think I'm gonna preorder it from the website. That way I won,t get any surprises with my local EB games store, that will announce me "Oh sorry we don't have any info on that collector thing. We suck." For almost the same price as a regular game, why should I bother about the price anyway.

FELIPE NO
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:10 PM #80 of 196
Originally Posted by cubed
Damn I need this collector's set. I think I'm gonna preorder it from the website. That way I won,t get any surprises with my local EB games store, that will announce me "Oh sorry we don't have any info on that collector thing. We suck." For almost the same price as a regular game, why should I bother about the price anyway.
That's what they told me... and they don't know if they're getting the pre-order bonus or if it's Ameircan only... but I did pre-order it a week or two ago... so hopefully they DO get it...

I want it so bad.

(Don't pay attention to ze flag, I am a communist Canadian)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
NES Oldskooler
Faust

Member 768

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 02:06 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 08:06 AM #81 of 196
Where can that set be ordered other than at that EB Games link? I've got pretty much the same concerns as Cubed and Reznor. (Being Canadian and EB Games sucking balls. The usual.)

Most amazing jew boots
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 02:14 PM #82 of 196
Pre-ordered. I can't believe how sick that set is. It's about time America got something sweet like that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 01:41 PM #83 of 196
Check it:
The Music Collection Tracklist (from Wired)

Quote:
Castlevania

1 - Prologue

2 - Vampire Killer

3 - Posion Mind

4 - Bloody Tears

5 – A Requiem

Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest

6 - The Silence of the Daylight

Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse

7 - Prelude-Epitaph-prayer-Beginning Boss

Super Castlevania IV

8 – Theme of Simon Belmont

9 – Beginning

The Castlevania Adventure

10 - Battle of the Holy

Castlevania: Bloodlines

11 – Reincarnated Soul

12 - Iron-Blue Intention

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

13 - Overture

14 - Beginning

15 – Opus 13

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

16 - Dracula Castle

17 - Golden Dance

18 - Marble Corridor

19 - Requiem of the Gods

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

20 - Lament of Innocence ~Leon's Theme~

21 - Admiration Towards the Clan

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

22 - Abandoned Castle ~Curse of Darkness~

23 - Endless Sorrow ~Long ver.~

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

24 – Requiem

25 - Sign of Blood Pulse

26 - A Vision of Dark Secrets

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

27 - Successor of Fate

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

28 – Ruined Castle Corridor

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

29 – Pitch Black Intrusion

30 – Dracula's Tears

31 – Demon Castle Pinnacle

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

32 – Hail from the Past

33 – Jail of Jewels

34 – Behind the Gaze

35 – Piercing Silence

BONUS TRACKS

36 – Beginning-The Legend of Demon Castle

37 – Bloody Tears

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:31 PM #84 of 196
Wow, AWESOME track list! Should please everybody with that!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:19 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 02:19 PM #85 of 196
Damn, I still haven't pre-ordered this, and I was just at Gamestop the other day. Has anyone actually confirmed that the bonus will be an in-store thing as well, or will it be online only? I wanna know for sure before I do go pre-order it.

HylianLink
Wark!

Member 1417

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 02:14 PM #86 of 196
I pre-ordered the bonus pack from Konami as i trust them more than the local eb or gamestop, hopefully they come through. I need to start selling things so i can pay for all these awesome games plus start shopping for Christmas! Anyone want to buy an ibook?

Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:20 AM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 10:20 PM #87 of 196
Preordered the hell outta this yesterday. This is my most anticipated DS game right now, closely followed by Final Fantasy III.

The DS is surely ending 2006 with a bang!

Now we need a Metal Gear game and a proper Tenchu. And a headless clown. Maybe.

FELIPE NO
Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276

Last edited by Nintendonomicon; Nov 14, 2006 at 12:30 AM.
Jayden
"Superior Tech!"

Member 850

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:43 AM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 11:43 PM #88 of 196
I pre-ordered this as well, something I have never done because I don't believe in paying full price for games. But the bonus is too good of an offer to pass up. Hopefully supplies last.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:28 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 06:28 PM #89 of 196
I just went to Gamestop today, and the guy didn't even know what I was talking about. He said they probably wouldn't even get it (despite not even checking the computer or anything), so I decided not to pre-order it from that store.

I'm gonna try another one and see if they actually know what I'm talking about, but if not I'm gonna have to find some way to pre-order it online. I don't have a credit card or anything, so this might be kinda hard to do.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rockman
アイス ペガサス

Member 55

Level 9.10

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:53 PM #90 of 196
I've been playing the the Japanese Version (Gallery of Labyrinth) on my DS-Xtreme. I have to say it's pretty sweet. Character switching between Jonathan and Charotte couldn't be better, you can make it so the secondary character stays in one position (Had to make the second character stay in one position on top of a statue, then I moved the statue to the ledge I had to get up to, then I had to switch characters, once I was in the second character's position I was able to get to the ledge while the first character's position was teleported up top along side with the first.) Having both characters present at once can get a little irritating and make the game easier, especially when your running through hacking all sorts of things. The Secondary Character AI follows you and attacks on it's own.

Touching the screen while both characters are present allows you to control the second character's movement, I was able to get Charotte to walk and jump with the Touch Screen. The only thing I haven't been able to do is crouching with the secondary character.

The Equip System is like Dawn of Sorrow's in a certain type of aspect, since you have two characters it's basically an alternative set of weapons to choose, as well as things like Spells that only Charotte can use. As for the Up + X techniques. Jonathan is able to use some classic weapons like the Knives and Axe, while Charotte is able to use different types of casting Spells. With Charotte I was able to use a Flame summoning spell and a Bone Thrower Spell. The Spells for Charotte can be charged and in use of more MP, they'll be even stronger through Attack Power or duration. The game also has a Relic so you use the other player's Subweapon | Spell, although I haven't been able to charge up Spells while I was Jonathan calling upon the second player.

The Equip System has Weapon, Subweapon | Magic, Body, Head, Legs, Accessory1&2 (for Cloaks), and Dual Crushes which allow the two characters to do a Special Combo Attack.

Talk is a also a new option in the Menu System when the game is paused, which starts a dialouge between Jonathan and Charotte go into play.

Shop Mode allows one to setup there own shop as well as go browse through other shops through Wireless Mode and Wi-Fi Connection. Co-Op Mode also has the ability to select Wireless Mode and Wi-Fi Connection. Personally, I haven't tried any of these different Game Modes yet since I'm pretty much began my New Game just today. There's also Boss Rush Mode, which I've seem allows you to fight the Dawn of Sorrow bosses in Course 1, so far I've seen the first one. Courses 2 and 3 probably will need to be unlocked. There's also a Ranking Mode for the Boss Rush Mode which does not go online to see other player's rankings, only on the game's data of Boss Rush Mode.

There's also a Mission Mode talking to one of the other character's in the game (Don't know his name). My first Mission was to buy Map1 from the Monk selling items. After my Mission was done I obtained the Relic to slide-kick, which allowed me to go through another area in order to progress through the game.

It's pretty fun. With two characters it definitely makes up for not having the use of Souls, especially the spells for Charotte. I couldn't beat the first boss so easily without using her. Jonathan was pitiful, 3-4 hits and I was finished. I used Charotte's Bone Thrower Spell which summons green skeletons infront of her and they all throw bones. I definitely the rest of my week planned out. I'm also wondering if there's a Circle of Moon Slot-2 Bonuses like Dawn of Sorrow's usage of Aria of Sorrow. Personally, I have not tried this since I just wanted to see how Portrait of Ruin was.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:37 PM #91 of 196
Quote:
Spoiler:
Castlevania

1 - Prologue

2 - Vampire Killer

3 - Posion Mind

4 - Bloody Tears

5 – A Requiem

Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest

6 - The Silence of the Daylight

Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse

7 - Prelude-Epitaph-prayer-Beginning Boss

Super Castlevania IV

8 – Theme of Simon Belmont

9 – Beginning

The Castlevania Adventure

10 - Battle of the Holy

Castlevania: Bloodlines

11 – Reincarnated Soul

12 - Iron-Blue Intention

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

13 - Overture

14 - Beginning

15 – Opus 13

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

16 - Dracula Castle

17 - Golden Dance

18 - Marble Corridor

19 - Requiem of the Gods

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

20 - Lament of Innocence ~Leon's Theme~

21 - Admiration Towards the Clan

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

22 - Abandoned Castle ~Curse of Darkness~

23 - Endless Sorrow ~Long ver.~

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

24 – Requiem

25 - Sign of Blood Pulse

26 - A Vision of Dark Secrets

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

27 - Successor of Fate

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

28 – Ruined Castle Corridor

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

29 – Pitch Black Intrusion

30 – Dracula's Tears

31 – Demon Castle Pinnacle

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

32 – Hail from the Past

33 – Jail of Jewels

34 – Behind the Gaze

35 – Piercing Silence

BONUS TRACKS

36 – Beginning-The Legend of Demon Castle

37 – Bloody Tears
As much as I know the other tracks are going to kick ass, Im dying to listen to Successor of Fate. It's been too long since we heard a remix of it (Or will it be the original? ) . Nice find,Matt.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by chato; Nov 14, 2006 at 09:42 PM.
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 07:43 PM #92 of 196
Originally Posted by Rockman
There's also Boss Rush Mode, which I've seem allows you to fight the Dawn of Sorrow bosses in Course 1, so far I've seen the first one.
Wow, I'm already loving this game more than I already did. In the first course, however, did you see if Malphas (demon that summons crows) was included? I was kind of disappointed that not all of the bosses were in Dawn of Sorrow's Boss Rush mode, and Malphas was one of the bosses that was excluded.

Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 03:01 AM Local time: Nov 19, 2006, 02:01 AM #93 of 196
I've beaten this and I must say this is one of the best Castlevania games. PERIOD.

First off, I'm glad the soul system from AoS/DoS is gone. I hated it. Second, the difficulty level is right on target. And if you find it too easy on the main game? Come back on Hard Mode with a Lv cap (50/25/1!). Boss Rush has 3 different factions that make for some interesting strategy.

And probably the best part? The bonus characters. Yes, that YouTube video wasn't a hoax after all! Playing as them is absolutely fantastic, though admitably they're overpowered. I completely obliterated one boss in seconds at Lv 1 (gaining 5 levels in the process).

Ending Battles notes:
Beating the two sisters wasn't too bad, unless you're going for the GOOD ending, then it's a royal PAIN IN THE ASS. The only spell in Charlotte's book that takes forever to cast and you have to use that one. Lovely.

The Dracula battle wouldn't be so bad, if you didn't have to fight him and Death AT THE SAME TIME. Plus there's three wickedly powerful attacks that if they hit, you're toast. One's pulled straight from Lament of Innocence. You can guess which one I'm getting at.

If you want a chance at beating Dracula, you need Vampire Killer. It'll make all the difference between winning and losing. You don't HAVE to have it to win, but you probably won't. Holy properties make up for its lower strength levels.

Quote:
Malphas (demon that summons crows) was included
He is not in boss rush, but I did see him in the main game. Balore and that freaky laser guy from the tall tower are both in Boss Rush. Medusa got a nice revaming too.

boss note:
I also saw about every boss from Rondo of Blood included. Most were regular monsters, but that headless spear guy was a boss.

Last edited by Sir VG; Nov 19, 2006 at 03:12 AM.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:42 AM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 12:42 AM #94 of 196
Not one store in St. Louis has the pre-order goodies. Lame.

cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:50 AM #95 of 196
Sir VG, mind to rip the sound test for us ?

FELIPE NO

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
Doppelganger420
Slim

Member 15719

Level 1.02

Nov 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 07:38 PM #96 of 196
I know this is my first post but it might be of some information for those who are wandering if they can still get the bonus when they preorder the game.

This is a reply from gamestop concerning the bonus;
"Thank you for contacting GameStop.com. It appears that we have run out (bonus) and you are only receiving the game. Would you like to cancel?"

This is what i asked them;
"Im double checking to make sure that I am definitely getting the Bonus along with the game, i need to make sure of that, its the whole reason why Im buying the game online, please respond"

This is the dissapointment of the week for me along with not being able to get Twilight Princess. I'm def still getting the game but the bonus was one of those things i couldn't pass up, F@$K!!! now im gonna have to look on ebay until someone auctions it, I dont mind paying triple the price, I want all the goodies.

Most amazing jew boots
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 02:24 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2006, 12:24 AM #97 of 196
Was also looking forward for the pre-order bonus (due to the artbook man. ARTBOOK. Jesus!) and found nothing.

But I pre-ordered anyway and will be getting my copy at the 13th next month. Fucking hate this shit without the bonus.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 03:25 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2006, 02:25 AM #98 of 196
Quote:
Sir VG, mind to rip the sound test for us ?
I'll try. I don't know if I have any cables handy to do it but I'll see what I can find.

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 04:57 AM #99 of 196
I think you can already get all the music rips here;
http://www.persona-world.net/cve/downloads.html

How ya doing, buddy?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 05:18 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2006, 04:18 AM #100 of 196
Of course, somebody finds it AFTER I'm like halfway through ripping it. ;_;

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin