Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] .Hack//GU

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 04:17 PM #76 of 132
The summer release date is pretty disappointing. The old series only had about a 2-3 month gap between releases, and it's already been about 4 months since GU Vol. 1. The Japanese releases pretty much stayed on schedule, but Namco-Bandai is really dropping the ball for the US releases.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:13 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 09:13 PM #77 of 132
It probably didn't sell too well here, I mean when Gamespot bashed it like the way they did with the previous .hack series, people (those who aren't .hack fans) will probably just avoid it since it's a mediocore game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
MOLD
The Machinator

Member 18017

Level 2.50

Jan 2007

Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:51 PM #78 of 132
Huh? What'd Gamespot do? Giving .hack a bad name??! Grrr.... Well, I'm not sure how it's a mediocore game, but I'm still gonna play it no matter how cheezy it is... (yep, a hard-core .hack fan here...) I want to know what happens! (even if I did read it already)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"What!? I'd never say that! I'd rather die than use emoticons!!! .....Silabus...!!"
~Haseo

yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:48 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 08:48 PM #79 of 132
Huh? What'd Gamespot do? Giving .hack a bad name??! Grrr.... Well, I'm not sure how it's a mediocore game, but I'm still gonna play it no matter how cheezy it is... (yep, a hard-core .hack fan here...) I want to know what happens! (even if I did read it already)
Ever since Infection, Gamespot never gave .hack series above a score of 7... For G.U. they pretty much said how the game is the same old repetitive system with slight improvements on graphics, and the same crappy storyline that get you no where... I know it's a short game, but it doesn't deserved to be bashed like this.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:57 PM #80 of 132
Gamespot bashed G.U. a lot more than it deserved, but IGN never even bothered to review it. I'd say that's a lot worse. It didn't score Namco-Bandai any points to suddenly make the Terminal Disc a pre-order exclusive for Gamestop either. Honestly, it seems like everyone kinda worked together to screw over Rebirth's US release.

Most amazing jew boots
MOLD
The Machinator

Member 18017

Level 2.50

Jan 2007

Old Feb 9, 2007, 07:33 PM #81 of 132
Man, I thought it was awesome, dang it! Even if it WAS short! But that's why there are 3 games!! Maybe they'll make the other ones longer and more improved (somehow). No one said they all had to be the same length. '_^

Wow... nothing above a 7.0 rating? Well, it's not that bad... To tell the truth, you can't really compare it to the Final Fantasy games... (that probably got a 10! ><) However, the story is funny and interesting.

Most amazing jew boots
"What!? I'd never say that! I'd rather die than use emoticons!!! .....Silabus...!!"
~Haseo

yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:23 AM Local time: Feb 11, 2007, 09:23 PM #82 of 132
Gamespot bashed G.U. a lot more than it deserved, but IGN never even bothered to review it. I'd say that's a lot worse. It didn't score Namco-Bandai any points to suddenly make the Terminal Disc a pre-order exclusive for Gamestop either. Honestly, it seems like everyone kinda worked together to screw over Rebirth's US release.
IGN... I don't know about others, but about 50% of their reviewers don't even know what they are talking about, if they felt like bashing a game, they just trashed it worthless without even going into much detail on how it sucked, that's why I stoped reading their articles a while back. I'm actually glad they didn't review this one.

For some reason, people just like to degrade games that have sequels which appeared to have repetitive systems. Games like Dynasty Warriors never made its day since the beginning of the 4th game on GameSpot or IGN, yet others like FIFA200X constantly received praises for reviewers, despite how little each game has changed overtime.

Originally Posted by MOLD
Man, I thought it was awesome, dang it! Even if it WAS short! But that's why there are 3 games!! Maybe they'll make the other ones longer and more improved (somehow). No one said they all had to be the same length. '_^

Wow... nothing above a 7.0 rating? Well, it's not that bad... To tell the truth, you can't really compare it to the Final Fantasy games... (that probably got a 10! ><) However, the story is funny and interesting.
Na... I think Bandai milks on this series, that's why they divided it into 3 DVDs, it could've been made into just 1 disc. However, the Japanese are pleased with what they get, Famitsu gave volume 2 a 32/40. Not like the scores mean anything to me, but I believe it reflects on how eastern and western reviewers look at games such as this.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
MOLD
The Machinator

Member 18017

Level 2.50

Jan 2007

Old Feb 16, 2007, 05:09 PM #83 of 132
I personally like the Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors series... it never gets old to me. (especially now that KOEI added some humor to it)

Hm... maybe there's too many games here that people aren't grateful anymore... bleh... Or, maybe it's just that the .hack series are usually slightly difficult to understand (.hack//SIGN...) and people don't like things like that... I'm certainly not confused, but many people say .hack is just too complex that they don't like it. There's a deeper meaning to it (or maybe I'm just over-thinking)... like the Epitaph of Twilight that is the essential part in every .hack game.

Most amazing jew boots
~Haseo

Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2007, 09:59 PM #84 of 132
I, for one, enjoy this series a lot for it's unique story.

Though, "The World" Itself is probably a terrible game, only successful for the fact that you can interface pretty much directly with it. And Flick Reapers, goddamn Flick Reapers are awesome.

I do wish there was a The World MMO, at least so i can play some of the other classes. Tribal Grappler looks interesting, when was the last time anyone played a MMO with a h2h class?

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2007, 10:16 PM #85 of 132
when was the last time anyone played a MMO with a h2h class?
FFXI the monk class use H2H weapon and they are one of the best DD in the game. (I'm a monk and I love it XD)

anyway back on topic. I so enjoyed the anime hack//sign that I decided to buy the 4 ps2 game and I'm not even half-way through the first one >.< I have some difficulty with the battle system. So how the gameplay in this one? it's seem pretty similar but how much did they improved it?

Last edited by Inhert; May 21, 2007 at 10:19 PM.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2007, 10:21 PM #86 of 132
I beat GU Vol. 2 earlier this week, because I played it almost non-stop once I finished my exams. Definitely worth the wait (thanks a lot for the speedy translation, Bandai-Namco), and I'm still working on filling in the Ryu Books. I just hope it doesn't take them another 7 months to port over the third game. That was ridiculous, especially since FEWER things were voice acted in this one.

Originally Posted by Ashton
I do wish there was a The World MMO, at least so i can play some of the other classes.
There is, it's called .Hack//Fragment. I don't know which classes are included in it, but it doesn't matter anyway since it's Japan-only and will sadly never come here.

Originally Posted by Inhert
anyway back on topic. I so enjoyed the anime hack//sign that I decided to buy the 4 ps2 game and I'm not even half-way through the first one >.< I have some difficulty with the battle system. So how the gameplay in this one? it's seem pretty similar but how much did they improved it?
Um... What's your actual difficulty with the battle system? It was pretty basic from what I remember. Tap X repeatedly for attacking and use the menu for skills, items, and commanding your teammates. The battle system was heavily revamped for GU. Here's a basic list off the top of my head:

- Main character uses twin blades, heavy blades, scythes (vol. 2), and guns (vol. 3).
- Battles are enclosed in a small force field and an item is used to run away.
- Less of a reason to adjust your teammates, and menus less complicated
- Skill trigger allows you to set 4 moves that can be used quickly with an R1 menu
- Instead of Protect Break there's Rengeki. Basically it's a critical hit with your weapon skills and you get extra EXP for doing it.

Last edited by The Plane Is A Tiger; May 21, 2007 at 10:27 PM.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2007, 10:32 PM #87 of 132
well mainly the A.I. of your teammate which I found pretty stupid and where always at the wrong place >.>

oh and I forgot , I didn't really follow the story of this one, is it a sequel of the previous serie?

well I should ask, is the game self-sufficient story wise to understand everything?

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2007, 10:39 PM #88 of 132
You can adjust your teammates' strategies and command them to use skills, but I didn't really find that necessary until .Hack//Outbreak. Just set Wavemasters to First Aid and command them yourself when you need to.

GU's story does require at least some knowledge of the first games, taking place seven years later. You could just look for a rip of the Terminal Disc "End of the World" though. It has 12 videos on it that unlock depending on your GU saves, each one revealing more backstory and the first four videos are good summaries of the first four games. Unfortunately, in the US it was only available as a pre-order gift at Gamestop, but I'm fairly certain there are rips floating around that can be played on your computer.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2007, 12:28 AM #89 of 132
well mainly the A.I. of your teammate which I found pretty stupid and where always at the wrong place >.>
It's been a long time, but i am positive i remember that you can give your party members items and they'd heal when appropiate with an AI setting.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2007, 08:32 AM #90 of 132
I never gave them any items, and somehow they always had new healing items, so I guess they are at least smart enough to keep buying new ones.

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2007, 11:08 AM #91 of 132
Sorry for the double post, but I am curious. I've been trying to get a hold of this game for a while now, but none of my regular import shops have gotten it yet. Is this game hard to get or something? It IS out yet, yes?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 12:06 AM Local time: May 26, 2007, 09:06 PM #92 of 132
Sorry for the double post, but I am curious. I've been trying to get a hold of this game for a while now, but none of my regular import shops have gotten it yet. Is this game hard to get or something? It IS out yet, yes?
It's been out for 2 weeks, yes. I'm sure as with any game like it, the amount of copies being produced is low where most stores will only order 2-3 at a time.

rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 07:30 PM #93 of 132
so, whens the 3rd one due out? Ive gone thru vol 1 & 2 already.. I guess after july.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2007, 12:39 AM #94 of 132
The rumors right now say October, but no one really has any idea. That's probably not too far off though.

rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:13 AM #95 of 132
I wish it would come out next month(my bday, lol)

I guess I should replay both, try an unlock everything.. im missing movies, wallpapers an stuff

Anyone know where i can download the Terminal Disk? Ive tried searching around the web to buy it used or something.. even ebay doesnt have any.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by rpgcrazied; Jun 4, 2007 at 11:41 AM.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 07:21 PM #96 of 132
I saw a Terminal Disc rip mentioned on the dothackers.net forums, but unfortunately they have a strictly enforced policy against talking about downloading licensed stuff. You can mention its existance, but not ask where to get it or encourage someone to use it. I remember they said the files on the disc were in a format that made them really easy to rip and play in WMP. Try googling around for a torrent.

Most amazing jew boots
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:24 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 03:24 PM #97 of 132
God, I love this series.

I've recently gotten back into .hack, and I can't believe I broke away from it.

I can't wait for the third game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:51 PM #98 of 132
me too, im replaying both vols, to unlock everything.

I missed only 1 wallpaper this time from volume 1, it was trying to get all armors/weapons/items an stuff.

trying to find people to trade with, sucked.. cuz they move around all the time.

Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:21 AM #99 of 132
I was so stupid this time. I did everything there is to do, same as in the previous volume, but I forgot all about crimson vs. I literally started it as I finished everything, and it seems like the progress of the game is based on time played, so I have to leave my PS2 on all the time just to make progress. SIGH

To make it worse my deck who had a winning streak of 180 wins 0 losses now keeps losing, so I constantly have to check how these decks are doing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 05:27 PM #100 of 132
I never really bothered with Crimson Vs. In fact, I was using one of the pre-built decks for about half the game and had about a 50% win rate. It just didn't interest me at all. Where's the fun in a card game that plays itself? Aside from looking at the art it was a pretty useless side venture.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] .Hack//GU