Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Gears of War

Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 08:29 AM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 10:29 AM #76 of 254
Originally Posted by Sexninja
I think and believe LostPlanet is much better than this and needs as equal hype and promotion as GoW.
Altough graphics are not apar with GoW but gameplay and other features surpasses GoW.
I have played LostPlanet demo and all i have to say is that when it comes to Capcom, gameplay always is addictive.
I think it's really just more of a timing thing. The release of GoW is coinciding with their competitors and MS just wants to steal all the attention. I'm sure that Lost Planet could just have easily taken the place of GoW. The demo looked and played great, but I'm not sure that it's fair to say that its gameplay surpasses that of GoW without having given it a try yet.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Haji
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3626

Level 1.60

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:33 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 11:33 AM #77 of 254
So what do u guys think about that Gears of War ad - Mad World?

I think it's a pretty cool commercial. Makes me wanna play it even more so, despite the fact that I don't have a 360, yet.

i'd post a link but apparently i'm just not good enough to

I was speaking idiomatically.
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:55 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 06:55 PM #78 of 254
You can also post a link by starting it with hxxp:// instead of http://

But anyways http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game

I like the fact that they didn't go for an overblown blood thirsty hardcore theme for the advert.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Nov 2, 2006 at 12:57 PM.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 01:08 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 03:08 PM #79 of 254
Originally Posted by Haji
So what do u guys think about that Gears of War ad - Mad World?

I think it's a pretty cool commercial. Makes me wanna play it even more so, despite the fact that I don't have a 360, yet.

i'd post a link but apparently i'm just not good enough to
The ad was cool, and I think it does a really good job of drawing in people who may not have been familiar with the game. I personally wasn't as impressed by it as many others, but this is only because I was already actively following the game.

FELIPE NO
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 12:38 AM #80 of 254
I was moved by the music, the choice of music was great, made me to request the track.

I had downloaded cutscene trailer from gamevidoes(it was first intital hours of story), i was shocked to see the cheesy voice acting.It was really corny.

So had to see and play whole game before jumping on any conclusion about cinematics and shit.

Graphics looking good but i think Deadrising and Oblivion were equally good if not better.I have to give credit to Oblivion even with jerks.
Its scale is so big, clip distance way long , where Gears is using too much depth of field,HDR and Bloom.The over all feel is not what i expected.

Still i have to say again, they could be hiding the real stuff.Few more days to go.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Throwdown
Officer Down

Member 14785

Level 4.68

Nov 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 04:15 PM #81 of 254
Originally Posted by Newbie1234
Maybe I'm just swallowed up by the hype, but I can't imagine why anyone that owns a 360 would not buy this game.
I don't think I ever said no one should buy this game. In fact clearly the opposite.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 04:39 PM #82 of 254
I was moved by the music, the choice of music was great, made me to request the track.
As much as I love the song, it still feels a tad bit out of place for the video. I know they were going for an opposites attract feel, but it just didnt fit the tone of the video.

Quote:
I had downloaded cutscene trailer from gamevidoes(it was first intital hours of story), i was shocked to see the cheesy voice acting.It was really corny.
Gotta agree with you here. The same played out stereotypical voices and attitudes

Quote:
Graphics looking good but i think Deadrising and Oblivion were equally good if not better.I have to give credit to Oblivion even with jerks.
Its scale is so big, clip distance way long , where Gears is using too much depth of field,HDR and Bloom.The over all feel is not what i expected.
I would agree with you on Oblivion if you were referring to it on a PC with settings maxed. As for Deadrising looking better, please. Deadrisings only graphical claim to fame is how many zombies it can fit on screen.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 05:11 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 10:11 PM #83 of 254
I'm just curious, and if this question has been answered already then I apologise but will the GoW for PC ship with an editor like UT does?

On a different note, the more I watch these lovely videos of the game, the more tired I become of GoW. It looks stunning, but they seem to be playing up the "run and gun" aspect of the game. Someone narrating over one of the videos described the plot as very "deep" but the videos show none of that. The soldiers seem very stereotypical in their wooden dialogue and voice characterisation.

Epic in my experience have become supreme when it comes to technology, but judging from previous versions of UT and now GoW it looks like they aren't very skilled at story-telling; something which Dr. Barry Atkins (my teacher on my last degree) told me was very important in games to give them substance. At least, that's what he thinks and writes in his different publications.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 07:19 PM #84 of 254
Originally Posted by Ulysses
something which Dr. Barry Atkins (my teacher on my last degree) told me was very important in games to give them substance. At least, that's what he thinks and writes in his different publications.
Not all games require a deep storyline to have substance, but some would be alot better off with one.

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 08:16 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 09:16 PM #85 of 254
Question concerning the release date of this game. Many I'm sure are aware of this and at times it drive me insane but when is the actual release date. I've seen shops like Gamestop & EB get it in stores (Nov. 7th) but won't sell until a few days later. Emergence Day as far as I know is November 12th so at this point in time I'm hearing mixed dates as to when I can actually walk up to the counter and have that barcode scanned and call it my own.

Throwdown
Officer Down

Member 14785

Level 4.68

Nov 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:08 PM #86 of 254
Originally Posted by T1249NTSCJ
Question concerning the release date of this game. Many I'm sure are aware of this and at times it drive me insane but when is the actual release date. I've seen shops like Gamestop & EB get it in stores (Nov. 7th) but won't sell until a few days later. Emergence Day as far as I know is November 12th so at this point in time I'm hearing mixed dates as to when I can actually walk up to the counter and have that barcode scanned and call it my own.
I beleive for those who pre-order they can pick it up early. Or at least thats what the gamestop guy said I could do on the 8th. I don't know if it's true. Im guessing stores that dont take pre-orders won't release until the 12th but will get in stock on the 7th or 8th.

How ya doing, buddy?
*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:11 PM #87 of 254
I would like to have come clarity on this myself. My local EB told me the 8th, but alot of sites are saying the 7th, while on the other hand emergence day is on the 12th.

Edit: Thanks Throw.

FELIPE NO
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:35 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 03:35 PM #88 of 254
IGN will definately notify you when it will hit shelves, afterall its Gears.

DeadRising: I personally go for complete screen composition. DR is most higly photorealistic game i ever have played, in other terms most real. Level of detail in Mall, each object, to pixelperfect detail. Zoom in the textures and they never burst out. Specially the roof top alone is most realistic scene/place i have ever experienced. Unbelievably photrealistic, high res texture maps.Try to zoom on pipes and wires they are made sperately, not bumpmapped or merged in one texture.I had taken pictures of many places and showed to many people, gamers and non-gamers, no one can make out if they are real or not , even i can't. Not talking about all of the places but most of them, though character models are not the best i have seen.

I played in HD wonder about SDtv.
Its not eyecandy stuff , its real stuff.

I also think that only game that can somehow surpass DR in photorealistc graphics is, Alanwake.

Originally Posted by *AkirA*
Not all games require a deep storyline to have substance, but some would be alot better off with one.
For me priority is like this

Story(for this voice acitng is most important and good script, can ignore bad motion capturing/direction).

Music.

Graphics(level design, environment aesthetics,great art is more important than great technology).

Gameplay(average gameplay can do).

Life defining,intelligent,emotional stories leave ever lasting mark on Brain whether its Novels,Movies or games. Games being interactive leave more deep scar on brain, isn't it?

Last edited by Sexninja; Nov 3, 2006 at 05:46 AM.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 01:08 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 02:08 AM #89 of 254
This question goes to those who have downloaded the Gears of War ad from the XBL marketplace. I noticed that after the fall update, the Gears of War clip slightly, just very slightly, struggles a bit during the opening seconds. Anyone else have this going on with their 360, same thing happens with the TMNT 720p trailer as the camera works its way down from the high rise buildings to the rooftops. :eyebrow:

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 12:11 PM #90 of 254
Just dropping in to say that the TV spot for this game is phenomenal. The music is amazing, and it all just looks so damned epic. I just might have to shell out for this one, even though I'm not a huge shooter guy.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:55 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 04:55 PM #91 of 254
Well it looks like I'll be using my Sears Gift card for this game, I just hope they have it available on the 7th or 8th. No way on earth am I going to wait until the 12th. I'm passing on COD3 so this game better impress me a helluva whole lot. :ashamed:

*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 04:56 PM #92 of 254
For me priority is like this

Story(for this voice acitng is most important and good script, can ignore bad motion capturing/direction).

Music.

Graphics(level design, environment aesthetics,great art is more important than great technology).

Gameplay(average gameplay can do).

Life defining,intelligent,emotional stories leave ever lasting mark on Brain whether its Novels,Movies or games. Games being interactive leave more deep scar on brain, isn't it?
If story is your main priority with gameplay being your lowest then you should be watching movies and reading books instead of playing games. RPG's might be able to squeak by with subpar gameplay, but FPS/Adventure games are all about gameplay with story only increasing the overall appeal of the game.

Most amazing jew boots
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:40 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 05:40 AM #93 of 254
Brokensword,DeusEx,EternalDarkness,Residentevil,MG S,Soulreaver,Yakuza,Darkearth,Halflife,Condemned etc , they all are action adventure and some FPS with equal concentration of both story and gameplay.I can name even more.

I had harldly missed any game on any console,alteast tried all if not finished.
What i meant, was that i can digest sacrifice of graphics to some level,and gameplay to some level,but can't compromise bad,cliched ,thrown for sake of it story.
Infact all games have same gameplay , its not monthly we get games like Okami or Shadowofthe Colossus, it happens rarely in years.Is Gears an different in gameplay, RE4 and Killswitch bastard child.
Why games you say, its because unlike movies and novels i lead the character and experience the story myself ,its dynamic and nonlinear.More hours , more music, more interactive.

I think we had enough of this, coming back to Gears talk, check this out

http://download.gamevideos.com/7292/...ow_640x360.wmv

My leveldesign/graphics worries are gone

*AkirA*

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 09:30 PM #94 of 254
Brokensword,DeusEx,EternalDarkness,Residentevil,MG S,Soulreaver,Yakuza,Darkearth,Halflife,Condemned etc , they all are action adventure and some FPS with equal concentration of both story and gameplay.I can name even more.
Residentevil, MGS, DeusEx, Halflife, Eternal Darkness, are all games that are known for their style of gameplay. Gameplay isnt just talking about what genre the game is in, its talking about how well the game plays (hence the name). Its about responsive controls, how the ideas in the game are executed and how those ideas all tie together. Halo 1 had a great story that was even fleshed out in books, but its claim to fame is its tight gameplay and control.

Quote:
I had harldly missed any game on any console,alteast tried all if not finished.
What i meant, was that i can digest sacrifice of graphics to some level,and gameplay to some level,but can't compromise bad,cliched ,thrown for sake of it story.
Some games only have stories to provide some kind of momentum while you play. It seems like your arguing this case from an RPG players perspective. Where alot of times, story is very improtant.

Quote:
Infact all games have same gameplay , its not monthly we get games like Okami or Shadowofthe Colossus, it happens rarely in years.Is Gears an different in gameplay, RE4 and Killswitch bastard child.
Because based solely on what weve seen, GoW is refining those gameplay styles. I hate to keep using Halo to prove my point, but you know why its so popular? Because it refined the shooter genre for consoles. Much like GoW is doing for the next gen round of games.

Checking out the video now.

Edit: Links not working for me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by *AkirA*; Nov 4, 2006 at 09:33 PM.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 03:33 AM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 01:33 PM #95 of 254
DeusEx and MGS atleast are famous for stories more than anything.Look at message boards of MGS, they hardly talk about stealth elements or gameplay.It was always story/cinematics that matters most for fans.MGS caought attention for cinematics,Kojima is famous for direction more. Stealth ideas are'nt his creation they were totally ripped from Thief. Even Splinter ripped the ideas.

DeusEx is best thing that has written uptill now in any medium, it had gameplay issues ,rememberd for story,choices but if you remember the game for gameplay than i seriously can't argue with you further.We will never see eye to eye on this.

Halo was famous for its Highly approchable/accessible gameplay, thats what developers said themsleves. Like Counterstrike it works for everyone even beginners and casual gamers.

Go to gamevideos.com ,Gears video is on top.

FELIPE NO
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 03:34 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 02:34 PM #96 of 254
You hear that, ladies and gentlemen? Thief invented the whole concept of stealth in video games!

I suggest you shut the hell up, fuckstick. Tell me, how could MGS rip off Thief when it PREDATES THE GAME BY THREE MONTHS? Must be TIME PARADOX.

And read some god damn books or other literature if you think Deus Ex is the best story every told on any medium. And I don't mean Sonic the Hedgehog comic books. As great as Deus Ex was, it wasn't just because of it's narrative. Get the FUCK off my internet, you gigantic piece of shit.

Good lord, you're dumb. Stop speaking out of your fucking ass and people won't have to call you on all your bullshit. Akira is completely right here.

El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 04:38 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 10:38 PM #97 of 254
For me this game is about blowing shit up and enjoying it, if that is accompanied by a good story all the better.

Personally I find the most important factor in a game is that I enjoy playing it, story, graphics, music etc.. all become irrelevant if I don't 'enjoy' the gameplay.

Just by viewing the various multiplayer and single player videos it looks like a galatically fun game especially Xbox Live wise.

It seems that Epic have gone for a more complete game rather than concentrating in particular on the mutiplayer aspects as they have done with the Unreal franchise, so it will be fun but also have depth, so I really do have high hopes for this game.

randomwab
Aquila Jama 'oca

Member 494

Level 14.66

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 04:40 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 09:40 PM #98 of 254
Didn't Metal Gear on MSX make stealth back in 87?

ANYWAY, it's kind of annoying how we have to wait a week or so to get it in Europe. It seems like they could have easily had a worldwide launch. But never the less, i'm looking forward to playing this, especially with co-op over Live.

And T1249NTSCJ, the ad does slow down a bit at the start since the last update.

Most amazing jew boots
Welcome to Silent Hill
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 04:42 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 10:42 PM #99 of 254
Originally Posted by randomwab
It seems fine for me pre and post update.

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 04:50 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 05:50 PM #100 of 254
Originally Posted by randomwab
Originally Posted by El Ray Fernando
It seems fine for me pre and post update.
Hmmm, so far that's 2:1. I'll need more people to chime in before calling Microsoft and report the problem so they can ship me a new hard drive.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Gears of War