Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Xbox 360 Discussion. Thermal paste, the delicious and nutricious snack of the future.

Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:55 PM #801 of 851
Has anyone here ever used MS' disc replacement program? I got a busted up Halo 3 disc here that refuses to load and I was considering sending it in, but it looks like it's $20 a pop, if the send off paper is to be believed.

Worth it?
I've never heard of this. What does it cover? How does it work? It seems to me that buying one of those Disk Doctors or buying games used would be just as good with the former being a reusable investment.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:04 PM #802 of 851
I'd have thought you could pick up a second hand copy for less than that.
Of Halo 3? It's still like $35 used and $40 new.

Additional Spam:
I've never heard of this. What does it cover? How does it work? It seems to me that buying one of those Disk Doctors or buying games used would be just as good with the former being a reusable investment.
Disc Replacement
Disc Replacement Plan

Not trying to buy a Disc Doctor. The disc isn't so much scratched as the film on the back or whatever is actually separated from the disc.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; Mar 22, 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:37 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2009, 11:37 AM #803 of 851
Seems some ESRB ratings might have let slip that Max Payne 1 and 2 are on their way to the Xbox 360, probably as Xbox Originals:

Quote:
Max Payne and Max Payne 2 may be on their way to 360 courtesy of Xbox Originals, judging by an ESRB posting dug up by Destructoid.

The recently updated listing has both games down for Xbox 360, in addition to their original platforms.

PEGI hasn't caught up yet, and Rockstar/Take-Two hasn't said anything, but followers of such things point to parallels with past Originals.

And given that Max Payne 3 was announced last week, it wouldn't be all that big a surprise either.

Xbox Originals sell for 1200 Microsoft Points (GBP 10.20 / EUR 14.40) apiece, and the line-up includes the likes of Halo, Fable, Ninja Gaiden Black and Psychonauts.
[ source ]

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:30 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2009, 12:30 PM #804 of 851
Seems Microsoft have decided not to try and screw their consumer base again and are now including the E74 error in the three year warranty:

Quote:
Microsoft has extended its three year Xbox 360 warranty policy to cover E74 errors.

The company said that the E74 error message some users have encountered “can indicate the general hardware failure that is associated with three flashing red lights error on the console”.

As well as extending its warranty coverage, Microsoft will refund customers made to pay an out of warranty repair charge after running into the fault.

“While the majority of Xbox 360 owners continue to have a great experience with their console, we are aware that a very small percentage of our customers have reported receiving an error that displays “E74” on their screen,” the company said in a statement on the Help and Support section of its website.

“After investigating the issue, we have determined that the E74 error message can indicate the general hardware failure that is associated with three flashing red lights error on the console,” it added.

“As a result, we have decided to cover repairs related to the E74 error message under our three-year warranty program for certain general hardware failures that was announced in July 2007. We have already made improvements to the console that will reduce the likelihood of an occurrence of this issue.”

Back in July 2007 Microsoft upped its warranty coverage for Xbox 360 from one year to three years for the well-publicised three-red-light hardware failure, a move resulting in charges of over $1 billion for the firm.
[ source ]

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:50 PM #805 of 851
Great news for me, as that's the very error I was suffering from. I just requested a coffin earlier today.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chen
Posting in the speed of sound!

Member 33479

Level 4.40

Apr 2009

Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:37 PM #806 of 851
Well since it a 360 disscusion i think it'll be okey to ask here.
anyone here ever got an E74 ? what were you doing thet might have caused the problem ?

How ya doing, buddy?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:48 PM #807 of 851
Well, I did just mention that was the problem I suffered from.

I had a few graphical glitches around when Gears of War 2 came out. My display would change colors and shake a bit, but a reboot fixed the problem and it was fairly uncommon. I just chalked it up to the Component cable freaking out.

It didn't start happening consistantly until Star Ocean 4 came out, and then one time the system just failed to boot with an E74 error and one red light. We tried getting a new component cable, but that didn't fix anything. We had to result to overheating the system to get it to work again, which was producing less and less results recently. Good thing that they decided to expand the warranty.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2009, 02:47 PM #808 of 851
Oh, that's what an E74 error is? I guess this warranty extension is a good thing, because I've been having small graphical glitches for a few months now. Every now and then a purple line will flash across the screen for a second in a random spot. It kind of worries me, but it hasn't gotten worse.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:54 PM #809 of 851
Well, I did just mention that was the problem I suffered from.

I had a few graphical glitches around when Gears of War 2 came out. My display would change colors and shake a bit, but a reboot fixed the problem and it was fairly uncommon. I just chalked it up to the Component cable freaking out.
Loool guess I'm not too far behind then. Every once in a while during Gears 2 my screen will go all PURPLE DISCO mode for a round or two, minus the shaking. It's very rare though, so it may or may not be the same thing you had.

Shame to hear there's more broke shit that they just can't get right going around.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Chen
Posting in the speed of sound!

Member 33479

Level 4.40

Apr 2009

Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:26 AM #810 of 851
I didn't have any glitches , just died on me.
i'm not a big expert when it comes to the 360 techincal side but im thinking the cable I used was defective or something wich caused my 360 to E74 . of course thet's just what i think , probably wrong tho.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:12 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 08:12 PM #811 of 851
New myxbox xbox.com is slick looking, but sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:25 PM #812 of 851
It's pretty annoying now that they've designed it to be as irritating as possible to check friends' achievements and such. I used the site mainly for comparing achievements and checking who was online. Now the friend list is a separate page and I've yet to find an easy way to compare achievements unless the friend happens to be one of the three whose avatar pops up on the main page. No idea why they removed that handy box for comparing.

Of course, that wouldn't be so bad if the whole site didn't take forever to load anything.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:48 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 06:48 PM #813 of 851
I used the site mainly for comparing achievements and checking who was online. Now the friend list is a separate page and I've yet to find an easy way to compare achievements unless the friend happens to be one of the three whose avatar pops up on the main page.
Not only that but, apparently, none of my friends "completed any achievements yet" at random times. I like how it looks but it's somehow less functional than it was before.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2009, 05:52 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2009, 05:52 PM #814 of 851
I will tell you what. The shit is slower now then ever before. Horrendous.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:11 PM #815 of 851
The new site hasn't been slow for me, but I may be missing out out on any Silverlight features. I don't have it installed on this machine.

Quote:
It's pretty annoying now that they've designed it to be as irritating as possible to check friends' achievements and such. I used the site mainly for comparing achievements and checking who was online. Now the friend list is a separate page and I've yet to find an easy way to compare achievements unless the friend happens to be one of the three whose avatar pops up on the main page. No idea why they removed that handy box for comparing.
I can compare games with my friends on this page by hovering over one of my friends' icons and choosing "compare games" from the dialogue that appears. Again, I can only speak for the non-Silverlight aspects of the site.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:52 PM #816 of 851
Ah, so the feature is there and just very well hidden. Still, I've pretty much stopped bothering with the site now that the bookmark only works maybe 10% of the time. Usually it tells me the page is broken until I go through a roundabout method of logging in, rendering the bookmark pointless.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:45 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 11:45 AM #817 of 851
Some information on the new Xbox dashboard, which has some a bit of a 'what the hell' going on, as apparently some of the updates (such as the party system improvements) are available to the US only.

Quote:
The list [of updates] is somewhat disappointing in that many of the big features touted at this year's E3 are yet to be introduced. So there's not a hint of last.fm, Facebook or Twitter support. Xbox 360 Games on Demand is still "coming soon" despite a listing, and the "instant on" 1080p movie streaming we talked about has still yet to implemented. More than that, a great many of the new features are currently for US gamers only (the party enhancements, puzzlingly so).
Read the rest, plus a full run down of the updates, on Digital Fountry (EuroGamer): [ source ]

There's mention of possible perks for long-time Xbox Live Gold members, which will be interesting to see what that turns out to be. The whole Avatar Marketplace can get fucked. I'm all for games being able to reward you Avatar stuff, tied into achievements or however they choose to do it, but paying even 80 MS points for Avatar stuff, not a bloody chance.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:33 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 01:33 PM #818 of 851
How long has that Digital Display Discovery thing been up? I was checking my settings the other day and noticed it wasn't set to 1080i and instead showed my resolution as 1444xsomething. I couldn't remember if it had always been like that or not. It certainly doesn't look any different and switching to 1080i made it look worse so it might always have been like that and if so, it'll be interesting to see if this update changes things at all. Apart from that, there's nothing hugely exciting in this update is there. The chances of me ever buying anything for my avatar, other than to burn off an odd number of MSpoints are pretty slim.

On a sort of related note, does anyone know if I buy a prepaid year's gold membership and activate it now, will it kick in now or wait until this year's subscription runs out then kick in? I only ask as my subscription expires while I'm on holiday and I don't want them charging my credit card really.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:56 AM #819 of 851
On a sort of related note, does anyone know if I buy a prepaid year's gold membership and activate it now, will it kick in now or wait until this year's subscription runs out then kick in? I only ask as my subscription expires while I'm on holiday and I don't want them charging my credit card really.
It only kicks in once your current subscription expires. You can stack several years' worth, as far as I know.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:04 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 02:04 PM #820 of 851
Cool, I'll pick up a card before I leave. Do you still have to have a credit card tied to your account? Mine expires later this year and I wasn't planning on getting another to replace it, especially if it's just to keep my Live account active.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:07 AM #821 of 851
As long as they don't try to charge anything to it, I don't think it matters.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:51 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 11:51 AM #822 of 851

So for those of you who are fans of fighting games, TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE* was released onto Live today. 1200 m$ points is the price. Its pretty much a faithful recreation of the original dreamcast game (As that is the version upon which it was built from), and the main attraction for the long term is online multiplayer.

*Marvel Versus Capcom 2

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:52 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 06:52 PM #823 of 851
In more important news, IL-2's demo is up on the marketplace, and oh thank Jesus it's actually EXTREMELY AWESOME.

Go try it, stall out into a spin, and come complain in here about it, please!

FELIPE NO
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:07 PM #824 of 851
I think you mean get hit by debris and get back to us.

[20:40] <&Colonel_Dicknigger> first time I popped a bomber some part of it flew back, hit my wing, and ripped it clean off.
[20:41] <@Tails> Hahahaha
[20:41] <&Colonel_Dicknigger> I started spinning, not knowing what the fuck was going on, till I looked out the window at it
[20:41] <@Tails> GOING DOWN
[20:41] <&Colonel_Dicknigger> it was pretty fucking awesome
[20:41] <&Colonel_Dicknigger> "shit"
[20:41] <@Tails> I tried to hit a flight of bombers top speed, rolled and caught one as it was going down
[20:41] <&Colonel_Dicknigger> owned
[20:41] <@Tails> ^

I'm stoked. We're gonna be playing the fuck out of this, I can see it already. Also:

[20:16] <@Tails> I need a video of that first landing attempt
[20:18] <@Tails> "pfff landing this aint shit"
[20:18] <@Tails> :: overshoots and skids into something at the end of the field ::

Last edited by Tails; Jul 29, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:37 PM #825 of 851
You've gotta be so pro first.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Xbox 360 Discussion. Thermal paste, the delicious and nutricious snack of the future.