Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Burger King of Fighters XII - Free with large Whopper meal

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 01:15 AM #51 of 141
No doubt. Some.... A LOT of the better players in my local arcade (chinatown fair) are actually dickheads when it comes to a lot of things. Better players tend to have a hard time judging how good people are, so they automatically assume that the person is a random scrub, and act accordingly. I have called them out in the past, but it fell on mostly deaf ears. It's a large part of what turns off a lot of possible new players that want to learn at my arcade. I mean, why do I wanna spend $10 worth of tokens only to get my ass kicked, and hear you belittle me? So yeah, the whole pride thing on the real good players is another large part of the problem here. Anyway, that's enough of that off subject ranting. >_<

I just hope KOF XII is able to pick up as much steam as some of the older games. I thought KOF XI was a blast, but a lot of the old school players (including the majority of the asians in my area, who are really good at the old ones ) look down on it. I just want some good competition. What's the point, otherwise?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Mar 8, 2008, 01:25 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2008, 11:25 PM #52 of 141
Best believe, I want KoF XII to have some kind of online component when it's released.

((You know, trash talking is a part of the experience... but I can't describe the feeling I get when I beat a person who has been owning me for so long. That measure of progress just can't be beat as you just completely surpass a person who didn't think anything about you. And if you think about it, that 10 dollars worth of tokens is just another investment. It's funny to see how many high level players literally have their skills bought and paid for, heh.))

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Yamigarasu
Ace P.I.

Member 22229

Level 7.28

Apr 2007

Old Mar 8, 2008, 05:52 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2008, 07:52 PM #53 of 141
Indeed having your "family jewels" handed to strangers is a part of the arcade gaming, it's pretty much what drives people to get better, the whole competition thing.

Heck, the only reason I know how to play every single 2d fighter out there is because I was tired of having my ass handed every time I was at the arcade, It's annoying, but exciting as well, It's cool when you do kick some ass and people look up on you.

Which reminds me of a time, when Marvel VS Capcom was the hype, my local arcade had this huge ass 70" projector, right up front so everyone would stop to see the epic fights, and I managed somehow (I still don't really know, lucky I guess) to beat the dude who had just won an small torney there, the feeling man, it's awesome, heck, I won several small torneys after, and managed to get better than my rival (another friend who also loves fighting games and was a lot better than me when I started) but the feeling of that victory, is still the best one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 08:54 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2008, 02:54 AM 1 #54 of 141
Well, you just did a fine job of discrediting yourself to anyone who really understands these games. I'm not really looking to bash you, but I feel that not pointing these things out will lead to other readers getting the wrong idea about the subject at hand. I'll go into further detail when I get a chance.
That's nice. Can we rename the topic to "Serious fighting game discussion, casual players stay out" while you do that?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Mar 8, 2008, 09:30 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2008, 07:30 PM #55 of 141
You started it, man.

FELIPE NO
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 09:49 PM #56 of 141
Indeed having your "family jewels" handed to strangers is a part of the arcade gaming, it's pretty much what drives people to get better, the whole competition thing.

Heck, the only reason I know how to play every single 2d fighter out there is because I was tired of having my ass handed every time I was at the arcade, It's annoying, but exciting as well, It's cool when you do kick some ass and people look up on you.

Which reminds me of a time, when Marvel VS Capcom was the hype, my local arcade had this huge ass 70" projector, right up front so everyone would stop to see the epic fights, and I managed somehow (I still don't really know, lucky I guess) to beat the dude who had just won an small torney there, the feeling man, it's awesome, heck, I won several small torneys after, and managed to get better than my rival (another friend who also loves fighting games and was a lot better than me when I started) but the feeling of that victory, is still the best one.
I fully agree with this. I enjoyed online fighters with the Xbox for a time, but there's simply no comparison to going to an arcade with 20 or so game junkies watching you pwn/get pwned. My favorite times were spent in a dark hole at our local mall, racking up win streaks in mid-late MvC 1 and early-mid MvC 2 (back before everyone used more than four characters). I learned MvC 1 from the ground up (and I was only one to constantly play Megaman...no one understood how to use him, besides the rockball trap). We never did get any "traditional" SF games or SNK ones though.

The early 90's were cool too. I learned Chun Li really well and I remember being 11 and beating a lot of guys twice my age (this was at another arcade that had closed by the time MvC had come out). My favorite victory was doing a spinning bird kick through a fireball and killing this one guy's Ken. This was after a load of shit talk from him in front of his girlfriend. He left after that.

And I still remember one time, this hot Asian chick just came into another arcade and started destroying people in 3rd Strike. Didn't say a word, just Chun Li beatdown after beatdown. Wasn't even close. Now THAT is something I'd like to see online gaming provide!

How ya doing, buddy?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:03 PM #57 of 141
That's nice. Can we rename the topic to "Serious fighting game discussion, casual players stay out" while you do that?
Feelings hurt much? You brought up the points, I merely decided to counter them. I apologize for all that off topic banter before. I did think about starting a new thread about it, but it probably wouldn't have even gone for more than 5 posts.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:14 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 02:14 PM #58 of 141
ÂFamitsu KoF XII Systems Explanation and Screenshots

SNK-CAPCOM.com SNK Gallery :: King of Fighters XII: High Resolution Pix from Famitsu's Website

These are the latest shots of the game, and goddamn does it look amazing.

Edit: Just so you know, the second link's description appears exactly as I pasted it. The shots aren't Halo 3 hueg rezolushun type pictures, so don't kill the messenger on this one.

Originally Posted by TRIEU
Famitsu Details KOF XII Gameplay
The latest issue of Famitsu magazine has detailed the gameplay system for KOF XII, with some new screenshots and feedback from the development team.

Source: mmcafe.com from Spoonman

Go to this link to read more: KOF XII Article/Discussion

According to Famitsu magazine, SNK Playmore JP is doing a location test for KOF XII in April, just one month away, but this may change as the printing of the magazine is normally two months before release, so the dates still need to be confirmed by SNKP JP.

Obviously, we expect more characters to show up in the game, which at the time of the Famitsu report, did not note, probably due to the early stage of development.

From what we've heard, here are some additional characters that are expected to be in the game, but of course, the total line up of how many characters is unknown at this time :

Raiden (not Big Bear)
Ryo
Robert Garcia
Andy (looking like a thug)
Keith (from Matrimelee)

Let's just say that the animation of each and every character will just awe you, as well as the game play system. We wouldn't comment on this blindly, so just take our word for it and when it's released, you'll most likely agree that KOF XII will be the fighter to beat in 2008.

Update 3.20.08 Famitsu has just uploaded the original KOF XII High Res. images on their website:

KOF XII Famitsu High Resolution Shots

Side Note: At GDC 2008, I had the pleasure of meeting the Director of SNK, Mr. Soichiro Hosoya. He was describing the artistic style that was used in KOF XII. (Hopefully I am explaining this correctly). The amount of hard work and time that is put into creating KOF XII is much more time consuming than creating a full 3-D character. In KOF XII, to create a 3-D effect while maintaining the true 2-D aspects of the gameplay, each frame has to be hand drawn, unlike a polygon model which, one textured, is rendered on the fly and takes less time to produce. The unique characteristics of KOF XII is that each character uses a 3-D model as a guide (to hand draw in the shades) for the artist to painstakingly draw each frame over it . What this does is give the 'sprite' a 3-D effect instead of an image that looks flat (e.g. Guilty Gear sprites).

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Rotorblade; Mar 21, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:26 PM #59 of 141
Whoa, Keith is gonna be in KOF? AWESOME. He kind plays/looks like Garou Terry but excellent choice since kizuna and buriki 1 had their shine with 11. Also, welcome back Andy O.o. Hey, I'd like to see that thuggish look!

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:20 PM #60 of 141
Andy does need a makeover indeed; his look has always rubbed me the wrong way along with his playstyle. I guess it would be silly to have included Clara or Kanji over Keith, but you have to admit that Hikaru could totally fit into XII as well, not to mention look awesome in the process.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:33 PM #61 of 141
Are you talking about that kid with the sword? Blah he's ok but I think I'd prefer Buntaro over him any day =p. I guess anything's possible. Which means we might get Pepe in this game as well. *hopes for Billy*

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:46 AM #62 of 141
The only things that can make this news more awesome are Olof and King Lion appearances!

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 09:59 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2008, 04:59 PM #63 of 141
Thanks a lot for the info Rotorblade, it's killing me that this thing is still so far away and so much is unsure. And yes, Olof should be in there. Olof is awesome.

Did you guys notice the sprites in the shade were actually dark? I hope that's not just my imagination, I really want to see that in motion, with the sprites coming out in the sun and becoming brightly-lit... That would be sick. Also, the effects (fire and lightning and whatnot) have always been by far the best in SNK games, so I'm glad to say that these live up to that legacy judging from the screenshots. Very original and kick ass, hope they look as good animated as they look in the stills.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 22, 2008 at 11:38 AM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:28 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 12:28 PM #64 of 141
First link is for those of you who will "WTF" toward Athena's current look. Of all the nostalgia nods to make, they choose "Psycho Soldier" Athena. Anyway, there's your news fix, pulled from High Voltage Online.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ho_Soldier.png

Originally Posted by Shin ATproof
If I read the article right...
- Clean hits show characters have specific animations for high/mid, low and overhead attacks.
- The game uses real-time lighting effects
- More characters will be announced/shown during the first playtests at Namba and Akiba this April.

So SNKP is really putting some serious effort in the graphics...
I really hope the gameplay is as good as this game looks.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:47 AM #65 of 141
Gameplay vids :

1st:

「THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIIã€ÂÃ¥ˆÂã®プãƒÂ¬Ã£‚¤ã‚¢ãƒ–ãƒÂ«Ã©Â «˜Ã¨Â§Â£Ã¥ƒÂ度ãƒ.ãƒÂ¼Ã£ƒ“ãƒÂ¼Ã£‚’大å… Ž–‹ in 第46Ã¥›žAMã‚·ãƒÂ§Ã£ƒÂ¼ - GIGAZINE

I was able to snag a high quality file of it from my brother. If anyone wants it. let me know. It's a big difference when playin it on the ps3 for those who own a big hdtv >=p.

2nd:
¥¶¡¦¥.¥ó¥°¡¦¥ª¥Ö¡¦¥Õ¥¡¥¤¥ ¿Â¡Â¼Â¥ÂºXII¡¡AM¥·¥ç¡¼¥×¥ì¥¤Æ°²è - Æ°²è - ¤Ã¤Æ¤Ê¥À¥¤¥¢¥ê¡¼

I'm impressed... It definately is the " Ultimate 2d fighter " this year. Anyway, I can't wait.

EDIT: Btw : Someone's on ROID-RAGE

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:51 AM Local time: Sep 18, 2008, 08:51 AM #66 of 141
chato: I was wondering if someone still cared, the information just hit GAF and I caught glimpse of stuff through Highervoltage.

Frankly, someone already theorized we're seeing more information on the game now that Street Fighter IV's major hype has slowed a bit. SNK was on the verge of losing my interest and they come out with this location test/picture set finally. Good move on their part.

Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:01 AM #67 of 141
I gotta be honest. I dont know if I like the new KoF look. Don't get me, the animation is great [lawled in the first video with the fat white chick in the background constantly headbanging], but the characters look slower as they're moving. Plus, the graphic interface [if thats the term im thinking of] that shows you "ROUND 1...READY..GO!" Looks very boring for such a game as KoF XII. Hopefully that's just beta shit, and the fonts and text will be different in the final game.

Overall, i'm not that impressed.

EDIT: Ralf looks like he's had too much Weight Gainer supplement. Lame.

Most amazing jew boots
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:03 AM #68 of 141
rotorblade: Well you already know the number of fighting gamers here, so.. someone's gotta do it ;p.

Honestly, these vids gave me more hype than what SF4 offered. Not like I'm going to bash the game but SNK answered back with their REAL 2d graphics. Not 2.5d. I only want to know the reason behind creating Ralf's sprite. Ryo I'll understand because it reminds me of Art of Fighting.

EDIT: Well it is the first beta test. I mean for one thing, there's no super gauge or anything but the lifebar being present. The small character boxes aren't really necessary.. I prefer KOFXI's.

Last edited by chato; Sep 18, 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:05 AM Local time: Sep 18, 2008, 09:05 AM #69 of 141
Hopefully? Whoa, Karasu, slow your role a bit! We're not exactly looking at expert players and it's gonna be difficult to draw any final conclusion as to how the game is going to play when there are things blatantly missing from this build, which clearly ISN'T FINAL. This is basically just to get the public reminded of the fact that the game does exist and is coming. Though it will more than likely not be in the near future given the development that's being put into the game.

The slower movement would definitely stem from players, mainly the gaming press, not knowing the game and the slower gameplay itself to possibly highlight the greater detail of animation put into the game.

Edit: OUTSPONDED BY CHATO!

Hey, chato, if you play GGPO or 2DF, let me know.

-----------------------------------------

Shamelessly taken from Ultima at Highervoltage:

Originally Posted by Ultima
I can't watch vid until I go home.

I'm loling at everyone's reactions to Ralf on various forums:

"It's like Ralf ate Alex"

"ralf look like big momma from shock troopers!"

"Didn't know Franco Bash started cosplaying as Ralf."

"Insanoflex does wonders."

re: new art style

As with Ralf, Leona also looks like the got ran through a Falcoon filter - she's far too waifish now.

I think part of the problem here is that we were expecting HD versions of classic characters, with maybe some new details thrown in. While we're getting that (see Robert), they're also subtely (and in the case of Ralf, not so subtlely) redesigning the characters, which wasn't really expected. And not just with a new costumes either. Terry's basically OG Terry, but now his pants are melting and he's bulked up to Ralf's old size, while Ralf has gone up to Insanoflex size. And Athena has become a pudgy school girl who almost looks out of place because her style is mor exaggerated than the otehrs.

As I said before, I wouldn't say any of this is bad. It's just... really unexpected. I would have thought, since they're likely going to be stuck with these sprites for the next ten years, they would have been a little more conservative in their redesigns, but oh well. I'm sure people will get used to it, especially if it looks good in motion.

Last edited by Rotorblade; Sep 18, 2008 at 11:08 AM.
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:14 AM #70 of 141
Its not the players im looking at, its the animation of the characters. It looks slower to me than XI's or prior KoFs. Plus the interface. And I never gave a final impression, I gave a first impression as to what I think so far, which is not that stunned but willing to let the game grow and get out of it's beta shell.

Roto, I play GGPO. we should play, im playing it now with a friend.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:16 AM #71 of 141
LOL I honestly can't disagree with everyone's thoughts on Ralf. It's just too obvious. However, I don't think I notice anything wrong with Leona unless I missed a screenshot somewhere. We need vids for both of these characters before criticizing them otherwise ;p.

I think we might need a slight modification on the thread's topic but I'll leave it to the expert.

As for the movements in characters, it was sorta pointed out in the very first vid a few months back. I'm sure SNK's aware of that and the character select screen looking alot like 2k3's. But then again, it is the first beta testing. Maybe they just want to see what the players have to say from their perspective. I know I would've.

rotorblade : I have ggpo. Never heard of the other one.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by chato; Sep 18, 2008 at 11:24 AM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:22 AM Local time: Sep 18, 2008, 09:22 AM #72 of 141
Its not the players im looking at, its the animation of the characters. It looks slower to me than XI's or prior KoFs. Plus the interface. And I never gave a final impression, I gave a first impression as to what I think so far, which is not that stunned but willing to let the game grow and get out of it's beta shell.
If the final product plays well, I'm sure we can forgive it. I remember the flak Street Fighter IV was catching early on with a few aesthetic decisions. Like child rapist face on Ryu, as well as the slow speed of the overall game. It's a concern, but I guess I'd argue for it being understandable at this point.

And you're right, it wasn't final, my bad on that.

While I did say that, I would have rather implied and meant that it's just early for a heavy judgment like that. Not necessarily final, but something that could stick a bit too well given the stage of development and what we're seeing.

chato:

2DF FreePlay

Not quite as good as GGPO, but there's a large selection of games and the netcode is still fairly comparable to what GGPO offers. I'm currently practicing my DP in Super Turbo, but I tried getting some interest going for GGPO in the Multiplayer subforum and it went to shit. Bleh.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:46 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2008, 09:46 PM #73 of 141
I'm glad they're seemingly not going for the hyperactive PARA PARA fighting stuff that seems to be the trend lately, but instead creating a proper classic 2D fighting game where you can still think and strategize. I don't really see any problems with the designs (other than Ryo looking a bit EVIL), I really like that they're a bit "spicy" and not so conservative as many of the old KoF sprites were in my opinion, and all the preliminary issues I see in the interface and such are hopefully due to it being an early build.

Most importantly though, the sprite animation and effects look sick. I'm stoked!

Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:02 PM #74 of 141
Holy shit, I am impressed. Never liked the actual game that went beyond '97 (I think its '97...). The whole new "3D" crap they tried before was epic fail.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:42 PM #75 of 141
Uploaded 2 vids on a rar file.

Terry/Leona!

Judging by Terry's movements, I must say there is nothing slow about this (maybe cuz of the low-quality vid from before.). Leona's sprite is just pure awesome.

EDIT : haha , you can notice Terry straightening his hat after every move ;p.

More info :

Originally Posted by cfx

- Ryo Sakazaki
- Robert Garcia (back in his pre-KOF2003 costume)
- Ralf Jones (Slightly different costume)
- Kim Kaphwan
- Kyo Kusanagi
- Benimaru Nikaido
- Goro Daimon
- Athena Asamiya (New costume)
- Terry Bogard (back in his pre-KOF2003 costume)
- Iori Yagami (New costume)
- Leona Heidern (New costume)
- Shen Woo
- Ash Crimson (New moves)
- Elisabeth Branctorche (Slightly different costume)

Last edited by chato; Sep 18, 2008 at 03:45 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Burger King of Fighters XII - Free with large Whopper meal