Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] The Command & Conquer 3!! OMG! OMG! thread!

Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:58 AM Local time: Dec 25, 2006, 02:58 AM #51 of 113
I think i might get the Kane edition just on the basis of its box art. Higgins? Conrad? Is there supposed to be some kind of tie in with the story? And I agree with Indigo-1 about its design, what in hell happened to the nameless soldier with the reflective goggles? Is this change in style indicative of a possible change in gameplay from awesome to undeniably EA-shittastic gameplay?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 25, 2006, 08:59 PM Local time: Dec 25, 2006, 10:59 PM #52 of 113
Quote:
C&C 3: Kane Edition will include an exclusive bonus DVD featuring a behind the scenes documentary, deleted scenes and a blooper reel from the live action video shoots, a series of gameplay strategy videos from the game designers themselves, and more. C&C 3: Kane Edition will also feature exclusive in-game content including five new multiplayer maps and three unique unit skins—one for each of the three factions in the game. Fans will also enjoy five exclusive wallpapers.
I must admit I'm a sucker for the bonus DVD. Depending on the extra cost, I might pick up the Kane Edition. The only reason I'm excited about C&C3 is the return of the live action cutscenes, so these deleted scenes and blooper reel just seem all the more interesting.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nanstey
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

Member 902

Level 10.66

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:59 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 11:59 PM #53 of 113
Well, I just got into the whole C&C thing - got the preorder bonus cuz i was bored - never really tried it before, it's been good for someone who misses good RTS games. I'll probably get C&C3, depenign on what the final requirements are...

I was speaking idiomatically.
That which is, is. Sink or swim. - Wiliiam Shakespeare. There is no ignorange, there is knowledge. - From the Code of the Jedi
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 09:24 PM #54 of 113
I'm pretty much psyched about this new C&C Game. Normally I am quite critical of EA and it's games, but from various interviews, previews, and stories about the game, for once I have a genuinely good feeling about something EA is doing. What brings me to this conclusion are all the stores I've been reading about how the game will be alot more like the originals. Were going back to FMV's, classic factions, and heck were getting the old Kane back, what more could you want? The screenshots look superb, though that's no surprise since EA, no matter how bad a game may be, always manages to look good if it's EA's doing. The biggest of all these factors is probably Kane. The original actor for Kane who was rehired for this sequel recently had an interview with Gamespot. The link can be found here. In it Joe Kucan, Kanes actor, makes referenecs to how devout a fan of the originals the director of this game seems to be. This certainly adds credibility to the series if one of the original guys coems out and works for the new team.

Basically, if your doubting this because it's EA you have good reason and I don't blame you. I do think that C&C 3 is probably going to be worth giving a shot though. I could of course be wrong, but I have a very good feeling about it. The only thing I am worried about is the new alien faction, the Scrin. From the Gamespot preview it seems they will wield some very powerful weapons in the late-game and I'm concerned it may be slightly off-balance. We'll have to see though, they haven't said much on potential new units for GDI and NOD to counter the Scrin.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by KrazyTaco; Feb 21, 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:12 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 11:12 PM #55 of 113
The demo is out as we speak. Got it pre-loaded already and was just waiting on the thing to get decrypted. Installed it, but don't have time to play right now

FELIPE NO
jonathansarrail
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 20274

Level 1.34

Feb 2007

Old Feb 26, 2007, 05:35 PM #56 of 113
Best episodes will always be the first one : Tiberium Dawn

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 06:33 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2007, 12:33 AM #57 of 113
The demo is out as we speak. Got it pre-loaded already and was just waiting on the thing to get decrypted. Installed it, but don't have time to play right now
Excellent. I didn't know that it was out already. I'll have to see about downloading right now. I'll post back later with impressions.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 02:09 AM #58 of 113
I've played the demo...

The demo includes the first GDI mission, as well as a skirmish mode that is limited to the GDI faction on a single map. Fair enough, demo and all.

I started with the campaign obviously.

Prologue Spoilers
Spoiler:
GDI has recently lowered NOD's threat level to "Low", the lowest it can be. GDI believes Kane is dead, and that the Brotherhood is falling apart internally, and so they begin decommissioning GDI outposts and turning more focus towards curtailing tiberium. Unfortunately for GDI, NOD movement is detected in North Carolina. Some crap happens, and essentially NOD disables GDI's anti-missile system on some random flying space station. NOD fires a missile and blows it up on live TV, and Kane makes his great re-emergence

The game begins you with a standard tutorial'ish first mission. You learn about how to construct things and train units and all that jazz. EA has returned C&C to it's original formula, that is there are no mobile construction dozers or whatever like in Generals. You start with an MCV and deploy that, which will then allow you to begin building structures within your build zone. You are quickly introduced to the basic infantry unit, and to engineers as you are ordered to go and destroy a small Nod outpost in the area. If you have played any C&C besides Renegade and Generals you will feel right at home by this point already. Once the Nod outpost is destroyed, you are given a view of the full map which will reveal a rather huge, well defended Nod base to the north of your base. Upon making your first futile attack, your mission coordinator will give you access to the Ion Cannon. Super weapons are interesting in C&C because they keep changing from version to version. Originally the Ion Cannon was fired and forgotten. Then in the next C&c you fired it and could guide it with your mouse. Then it went back to the old formula. What's interesting to note is that the ion cannon was always a directed beam that destroyed what it touched. In C&C 3 though, the Ion Cannon is deployed, and after 5 seconds or so of pretty graphics, blows up an entire area with ought supervision, kind of like a huge bomb. That's a tad disappointing for me, as the Ion Cannon loses a bit of uniqueness and becomes just a generic super weapon. Well have to see what they've done with Nod and the Alien super weapons and how those operate.

On any case, there are no 'generals' that will give you skills. Rather, as you build certain structures, support items are given to you. For example, building an airfield will allow you to, for a price of about $1000, deploy 4 Orcas on any target, even if you haven't built any. This can be done once every 5-10 minutes or so. Another example, once you have built these new infantry units I have forgotten the name of, you can randomly deploy them for a fee and every so often to any explored area on the map. So EA has essentially combined the Generals features into the classic formula, but tossed out the arbitrary "you need this general to do this" thing. It's all on you now to build the right stuff, and it does cost a small amount of money to launch these 'special attacks'.

The FMV's, to wrap this all up, are pretty well done it seems. The actors all seem to be giving it some effort, though I suppose no matter how hard anyone tried nothing will live up to my nostalgic memories of the original Tiberian Dawn FMV's. Who knows, those things could have been the crappiest FMV's ever, and yet it's been so long all I can remember were my impressions as a 12 year old watching them for the first time >_> Kane as I said earlier is back with the same actor as in Dawn and Sun. He appears briefly in the demo, and we can only look forward to alot more of him in the full release.

I'd say the game based on the demo was certainly not a screw up or a tried and true "milk it and dump it" strategy EA has come to been known for. It seems the developers have honestly tried to bring C&C into the modern day with impressive graphics, sound, and game play mechanics.

My only complaint as of right now is that all the infantry units blend in with one another, and it can at some times be hard to distinguish a rocket trooper from a standard infantry dude. I'm sure more playing will help develop an eye for it though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:29 AM Local time: Feb 27, 2007, 04:29 AM #59 of 113
This game is awesome, it is made of win and god. That is all.

But no, seriously its an awesome game, its been a long time since I've heard "We require more silos" or "low power" and having my mini-map blank out on me, its good to be hearing those things again, even if in-game they are bad news. But its 4am where I am (up playing the game, duh) so I gtg. I'll come back to this later though.

Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:21 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2007, 07:21 PM #60 of 113
I have been playing this pretty much all day, and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Looks as if EA have done it right this time.

The graphics look really good, there is a good selection of units at hand (I only had GDI to choose from though), and the AI seems to be very good. I had a skirmish game on easy, and the enemy kept attacking different parts of my base. Nothing much you might say, but it impressed me.

And the FMV sequences are back, and they are brilliant.

Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 02:43 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2007, 11:43 AM #61 of 113
So after having toyed around with the game for quite a bit I think EALA has done something right for once and has successfully revived the old C&C games (despite them being a different crew than from Westwood). The gameplay is fast-paced just like previous titles, it really feels like C&C again.

Unlike most other EA titles C&C 3 has an amazing amount of polish to it. For example units when selected visibly are at ease, grenadiers do jumping jacks, riflemen and snipers do sit-ups, and zone troopers apparently take part in some shows of strength their suits lend them. And most interestingly enough, Juggernaut's, when not selected act very bird like. I've caught a few of my Juggernauts scratching themselves (really just raising a leg and scratching a place underneath their pilot cockpit) or using their cannons like a beak and pecking at the ground. I don't know if the pilots are delusional or if these are just them showing off their piloting prowess.

In anycase if you select these units while they're slacking you'll see them immediately snap up to attention and ready to move. And while Company of Heroes is best known for its context sensitive unit speech I've seen a few instances where my units have said something rather related to what I want them to do, for example when I order my mammoths to pull back during an attack they smartly acknowledged saying "pull back to base" I was rather surprised. And their replies sound a lot more frantic and rushed in battle. Although I have to admit their new way to deciding when the play the music (faster paced music during battle, bit slower paced during base build-up) irked me a little since I've always like its fast paced music regardless of what I was doing. Who knows maybe they'll change it for final release.

I don't think anything needs to be said about its live-action sequences, whatever there is to be said has been said, its good to see them follow tradition than buck to the trend like they did in Generals with in-game sequences.

As for game balance, I think they did a fair job here. GDI really has no need to field infantry late game, NOD simply has too many answers to infantry later on (Black hand, flame tanks, confessors w/hallucination grenades, the work of the devil) GDI infantry simply can't do much later on, only units of remote use are the sniper, grenadiers and zone troopers, but ultimately they're all still rather useless, either burned down or killing themselves. Then you factor in the fact that GDI's panzers can pretty much do what they do but without the vulnerabilities seals their fate beneath GDI's tank treads.

NOD meanwhile really has to rely on the stealthy tricky tactics most people don't seem to grasp (although the AI does). Just a few mammoth tanks can totally blast through any NOD defense that doesn't sport Obelisks of Light. Even NOD's avatar warmech, their much talked about walker unit, cannot go toe to toe with the mammoth (even when I had the avatar pick up a laser beam from one of those beam trucks). But I have to admit, many of NOD's powers can really help make sure the GDI player is pretty damned confused.

It also appears in C&C3 NOD has the upper hand in aircraft as well. While GDI is limited to 4 air slots per airfield, NOD's Venom doesn't take up an airfield slot, meaning they can have as many venoms as they can buy. Which in my opinion really shifts things to NOD's favor in the air. NOD's lighter units now are also able to call in Carryalls which for me has always really been an exclusive part of GDI's arsenal. Previously since NOD units were so fast the only way GDI could even come close to matching such mobility was using a transport or their orcas, but now that NOD has both their own carryall and Venoms (which hit both ground and air) things are now different.

Some of my whinings aside its still a great game. Just a shame it takes the form of a wall of text.

Last edited by Yggdrasil; Feb 27, 2007 at 02:46 PM.
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2007, 08:26 PM #62 of 113
Today Evil Avatar featured a way to play as Nod in the demo withought hacking the game.

Originally Posted by http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26167&
Our very own captainstrombosis points out in our forums a nice trick to play as NOD in the recent Command and Conquer 3 demo.
Quote:
You can easily play as Nod, without modding the game in any way. However Scrin are still not playable. This was something posted on the Gamespot forums so I don't take credit for it.
Goto Skirmish:
Click the [army] selection tab, but do not select any. Move your mouse over the Nod selection and at the same time press N and click the mouse. It may take a few tries but it does work! Can also make the enemy GDI.(G + Mouse Click)

You can also use this trick to select the AI traits. Just use the first letter and click the mouse while it is highlighted.

Sweet! I absolutely loved the demo. So many good RTS games lately.
I've tried this and it works. The only thing wrong is that the computer voice lady doesn't come on for Nod (The one that gives you tidbits like "silos needed" and such.

evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2007, 09:19 PM Local time: Mar 1, 2007, 03:19 AM #63 of 113
The music guys, what about the music? It must not be anything short of fuckawesome megawin in a C&C game.

FELIPE NO
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:22 PM #64 of 113
The music guys, what about the music? It must not be anything short of fuckawesome megawin in a C&C game.
I think the demo is to early to base an opinion on the music. That said, what I have heard from the demo:

The main menu music features soft, sort of apocalyptic relaxing music. There is only one music track in-game for the demo. This music will speed up or slow down based on what's happening on the map. What's funny is I turned my music level all the way up and the music is still kind of quiet no matter whether it's in slow or fast mode. Unfortunately, this particular track is forgettable at best. You probably won't even really realize it's there.

evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 1, 2007, 08:33 AM Local time: Mar 1, 2007, 02:33 PM #65 of 113
Thats true... I did the first demo stage and I barely noticed the music. That will be one of my beefs with the game.

The second are the controls. They need to revamp that bigtime, or at least make the mouse customizable too. I want my classic C&C style left-button-select-and-move and not left button select right button move. The hotkeys are also stupid, but those are at least configurable (I tried opening the build tab with Q and I ended up selecting every unit on the map, etc).

Otherwise the demo was solid. A lot of eyecandy, the graphics feel like an Xbox360 game which isnt bad. Was running it at full speed in 1280x960 with medium quality settings, on a Radeon 9600. It needs a lot of ram though, 512mb is a very optimistic minimum config for the game, I'd say you need 1gb for smooth gaming.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by evilboris; Mar 1, 2007 at 08:37 AM.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:27 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2007, 09:27 PM #66 of 113
Anyone here have any luck whatsoever with Brutal AI? There are a few people on EA's C&C forums who have claimed to have beaten brutal AI. However for the most part it seems for the average player Brutal AI is just too much. Anyone here above the curve and has been able to take down brutal yet?

How ya doing, buddy?
Prons
Syklis Green

Member 19963

Level 7.40

Feb 2007

Old Mar 3, 2007, 01:09 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2007, 11:09 PM #67 of 113
This game is dope, but it keeps crashing on my piece of crap machine. I'd love the 360 version.

Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:48 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2007, 04:48 PM #68 of 113
Anyone here have any luck whatsoever with Brutal AI? There are a few people on EA's C&C forums who have claimed to have beaten brutal AI. However for the most part it seems for the average player Brutal AI is just too much. Anyone here above the curve and has been able to take down brutal yet?
I just tried Brutal, and I got slaughtered. They had over 200 units, I managed a measly 20. I think I managed to destroy two of their tanks before I died. I think I'll be sticking to Easy and Medium for now.

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 02:29 PM #69 of 113
I'm hearing that C&C3 is using an updated version of the Generals engine. That doesn't bother me any because it's C&C... come on. What does concern me though especially with the more recent posts is the stupid AI settings. Since Generals the AI always had a steep curve from Easy to Medium and then like no difference from Medium to Brutal. Easy was way too boring and Medium you would have the 7th Nation Army coming at you before you got your barracks up. But yeah, has the curve been flushed out in this one?

(I'm trying to get the demo to find out but FileFront's demo is corrupted and FilePlanet is.. well... FilePlanet)

KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 04:38 PM #70 of 113
I've played Easy and Medium so far, and basically:

Easy - Computer probably won't build air units, will not build superweapons. Finally, the computer will not build large tanks, such as the Nod Walker and the GDI Mammoth and Juggernaut. Computer will try and attack you every so often with light tanks and infantry though, so you do need to have some defenses. I can beat easy in under a half hour.

Medium - Computer builds air units and large tanks, and will also build superweapons, but the superweapon is built at a reasonable, not exaggerated speed. On the demo map, the computer will more than likely manage to get a second smaller base built at one of the tiberium fields before you have time to prevent it effectively, but if you play it right you can still destroy it before it get's to beefy. On the other hand, the computers main base will actually be somewhat difficult to crack, but certainly doable if you just get a squad of about 6 or so large tanks and some air support. Average time it takes me to beat medium is 30 minutes to an hour.

evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 04:44 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2007, 10:44 PM #71 of 113
Well, on Easy Balanced, I got 1-2 attacks every 5 minutes or so. Nothing special, it was just a question of time till I won.

On Medium Turtler, the cpu actually went and took one of the tiberium fields in the corner, dropped minebombs every once in a while (mainly only at the beginning), put at least 1 infantry squad in most buildings, had Stealth units hiding in obscure corners of the map, sent in suicide squads and gunner copters regularly, and built a Temple of Nod. By the time it built the temple though, I already had 10 mammoths, ORCA bombers, Juggernauts (did anyone else notice the Juggernaut, bitch meme making way into the game?), and an Ion Cannon blast ready for discharge.

Man, whats with the Ion Cannon anyway? It's pretty, but its not the instant death sniping from the heavens like in the previous games. Just a regular base nuker.

On Brutal Turtler, I lost my harvesters by the time I managed to build a second mammoth, had my Tiberium Spikes bombed, got minefields on my tiberium fields every 4 minutes, and got a bunch of other nasty shit (buggies with lasers equipped, wtf) after which I quit the game. You could say I got my ass kicked. I'll try Hard Balanced, maybe that ones still beatable.

To people who have the game crashing, I got that only when I had Virtual Memory disabled and run out of RAM (I have about 500 mb free most of the time, and that was NOT enough for the game).

C&C3 looks like an average rts game so far, puts a lot of emphasis on combining units (at least for the Nod, GDI can just chunk out railgunner Mammoths endlessly), has a TON of nuisance superweapons, but not much else. The controls are missing a ton of things (pressing building tab to instantly place a completed building, or hiding the menu tab altogether), there's NO DEFORMABLE TERRAIN (this was one of the best things in Tibsun, really), not much music to speak of so far, and I wouldn't mind being able to zoom out the camera more.

Additional Spam:
OK, I've run a fight against Hard Balanced. It was the first time my base got penetrated and I actually had support units lost. I don't remember any Mine Airstrikes, but I got a lot of Scorpion tanks at the beginning, troops of 6-7 of them. They didn't manage to do any series damage though, only destroyed a few minor buildings (secondary barracks, armory, one tiberium spike), and once I had Sonic Towers and Mammoths out, I got nothing but suicide squads and random bombers attacking. And a bunch of War mecha patrols and an occasional Commando (they got killed pretty much the instant they got in firing range).
Mental note: the AA turrets are pathetically weak. 6 of them barely scratched a bomber, while 2 Mammoth rocket volleys obliterated them on one go.
The AI didn't build any superweapons this time, but its outpust was a lot more massive in size, and used infantry in buildings a lot more creatively.
Once I survived the initial few attacks, I just had to march through the map with Mammoths though.

Mammoths are way overpowered by the way, and NOD doesnt seem to have ANY units which are interesting AND effective. Tiberian Sun had Cyborgs, UNDERGROUND flame tanks and apcs, mutant vehicle hijackers, artilleries... this game has weak prism tank ripoffs and mechas with gimped weapons on them.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by evilboris; Mar 3, 2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:09 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2007, 08:09 PM #72 of 113
I just managed to beat the living shit out of fucking Brutal AI, took me a whole day of gameplay + theorycrafting but I pulled it off. It is only now that I type this that I realized I didn't take screens shots. Now I just have to say this:

Brutal AI can be beat.

In anycase while I cannot produce any verifiable evidence of my great feat there has been a slew of videos at http://forums.ea.com/mboards/forum.j...0&forumID=2381 with people with videos showing them showing brutal AI who's boss.

Originally Posted by evilboris
Man, whats with the Ion Cannon anyway? It's pretty, but its not the instant death sniping from the heavens like in the previous games. Just a regular base nuker.
I for one am glad the Ion cannon can effectively kill things now. In the game I managed to beat brutal AI with it was instrumental in clearing the path for my mammoths the start the steamrolling.

Originally Posted by evilboris
Mammoths are way overpowered by the way, and NOD doesnt seem to have ANY units which are interesting AND effective.
While this isn't totally direct at you, but it seems Nod players have this wierd idea in their heads that tells them Nod is supposed to be able to go toe-to-toe with GDI in terms of tank treads. Unfortunately for them they quickly find that is not the case at all. Instead try harassing GDI's expansionary and tiberium harvesting efforts (nailing surveyors, harvesters and refineries) and seeing to it that GDI doesn't get mammoths or doesn't get enough of them to smash you in the face.

Originally Posted by Slayer X
But yeah, has the curve been flushed out in this one?
Compared to Generals I think the AI's curve is much smoother, although in all honesty each level merely dictates how often the AI attacks, how fast it techs, how long it will really try to bring you down, and as always, how great of a money hack it has. From my gameplay I'd break it down like this:

Easy= relatively few pathetic attacks, techs rather slowly, economy on par with the player. Turns into a veggie after you cripple it.

Medium= throws a few fairly decent attacks, techs faster than easy, economy effectively on par with the player. Turns into a semi-veggie after you cripple it.

Hard= throws far more attacks towards the player, techs fairly nicely, still slower than the average player (especially a GDI player reaching for GGtanks) Economy better than player's. Basically turns into Easy AI after you cripple it.

Brutal = This is where the AI gets interesting , Brutal throws nearly endless attacks of low tech units at you (imagine trying to hold back a swarm of locust with a MG) money hacks economy is jumped up on crack, techs according to the player. What do I mean by this? Early on (read: pre-tech-center units/defenses) the AI will throw hordes of militiamen, rockets and scorpions with a few raider buggies thrown in the mix. This will indefinitely continue until you start pulling out sonic emitters (imagine having your fly swatter being replaced with a flamethrower) and the mammoth (imagine dual wielding flame throwers against the locust swarm). At that point the AI techs up a bit to flame tanks, black hand infantry, a few avatars and the occasional beam truck. All this with still a few low tech attacks thrown in. Give it more time and it goes up to stealth tanks, more avatars, more black hand and eventually it will plop down a temple of Nod. Still puts up a fight after you cripple it.

So while easy-medium-hard this a rather nice curve Brutal AI seems to be a slightly different animal. It should also be noted that a few people on EA's forums have reported Brutal AI "learning" or adapting and I myself have seen a few incidents that could be passed of as "learning."

All in all brutal AI has been for me at least one of the better AI's I've faced. Even if it can really be boiled down to a Hard AI with a fat bank with a "Kill player" command line constantly running through it.

Last edited by Yggdrasil; Mar 3, 2007 at 11:11 PM.
ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:11 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2007, 06:11 AM #73 of 113
I just tried Brutal, and I got slaughtered. They had over 200 units, I managed a measly 20. I think I managed to destroy two of their tanks before I died. I think I'll be sticking to Easy and Medium for now.
If your bored or just out for a interesting way of play, try setting it to Brutal and Steamroller, but add a -95 penalty for the opponent. Your units will be insanely powerful but the enemy will still have a massive headstart and will try to "steamroll" you with armies, which you'll cut through like a hot knife through butter

I was playing this with another friend today and we tried to beat each other by trying to improve the stats/outcome each time. We we're aiming for a short completion time, collect the highest amount of credits, most kills and using the lowest amount of structures/units.

=

As for the game music, I found it to blend more into the background and sounded boring most of the time. Ofcourse it's too early to make a final conclusion since the demo doesn't contain all of the tracks but currently, I find it to be far from memorable and epicness like we're used too. The style of the new composer feels pretty amateurish but this could be linked to the fact that he never worked on a game before. He did do soundtracks for a nice amount of movies and series but it feels like he hasn't mastered the right technique for pleasing the ears of a gamer. The CnC main theme sounds like a remix from the one used in Tiberian Dawn, I hope his other tracks are not trying to copy Frank Klepacki's style. This however could also result in some nice suprises so who knows.

The game itself is pretty good and well balanced. I really liked the introduction of training entire squads instead of solo soldiers, it does make battles more intensive and exciting as more units get ingame within shorter periods of time. The tech tree is impressive and "to be expected" like from the classic CnC games and I was also pleased to see all those upgrades and other additions for both buildings and units, it's well thought out. Graphics are top of the line as expected from a new game and the physics are particulary noticable with all kinds of destruction. Tracers for weapon fire make things more easy to follow. Most of the features are taken from Generals, this works really good and offers a wide range of new tactics and strategy when planning your move(s). The revamped UI and the addition of a left side-bar for specials is awesome as it saves alot of precious time to search for things you need. It does the job for rapid decisions.

Some naming mistakes, bits of the tech tree and game art does annoy me as a CnC veteran. For example, the GDI have the ability to train grenadiers AND rocket soldiers. Wtf? The latter was always a NOD thing, the GDI are not supposed to have any rocket soldiers. Also, some GDI units possess the stealth ability which is another trait only meant for the NOD as it made them unique. The NOD Airstrip is also nowhere to be found. What happened to the sub-terranean ability of the NOD flame tank? I hope to see it return in the full version. Also, many units we got to know in Tiberian Sun/Firestorm are missing in CnC3 but they are probably in the full game, or maybe planned in future expansions.
As for the naming errors, the only thing noticable so far was the "War Factory" which should be called "Weapons Factory" since War Factories are a thing of Red Alert.
Regarding some of the game art, I found most of the unit/structure pictures to be slightly cartoony but it's nothing critical though one of the NOD units, blackhand soldier, looks like a fucking joke. He is a cheap impression of Darth Vader with a pair of red eyes/sensors sticked on his forehead and doesn't look original at all. Could have been done better. Other noticable things we're the missing protective gear/armor for NOD soldiers but this could be related to a increased knowledge of Tiberium in the 3rd war and thus they do not fear it as much unlike the GDI. Back in Tiberian Sun they al wore protective suits except for the cyborg units who are infused with Tiberium. I think it was better to stay with this idea.

All I mentioned above is nothing critical really, new players would have absolutely no problems with this but these are such small and simple details... why didn't they bother? I mean, CnC is a pretty big title especiall for the $$$. This could always be updated in the full game and if not, future game updates or fan mods will always be available as second options.

I'm probably whining too much now but I really believe it will become 99% perfect when they fix all of this, atleast in my eyes and those of many fans. As a non-Westwood produced game i'm thoroughly impressed and I hope that future CnC games, hopefully Red Alert 3, will get the same quality treatment from now on.

Most amazing jew boots

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!

Last edited by ApOcaLyPSe_1985; Mar 4, 2007 at 05:21 PM.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:09 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2007, 09:09 PM #74 of 113
C&C3 looks like an average rts game so far, puts a lot of emphasis on combining units (at least for the Nod, GDI can just chunk out railgunner Mammoths endlessly), has a TON of nuisance superweapons, but not much else. The controls are missing a ton of things (pressing building tab to instantly place a completed building, or hiding the menu tab altogether), there's NO DEFORMABLE TERRAIN (this was one of the best things in Tibsun, really), not much music to speak of so far, and I wouldn't mind being able to zoom out the camera more.

Mental note: the AA turrets are pathetically weak. 6 of them barely scratched a bomber, while 2 Mammoth rocket volleys obliterated them on one go.

Mammoths are way overpowered by the way, and NOD doesnt seem to have ANY units which are interesting AND effective. Tiberian Sun had Cyborgs, UNDERGROUND flame tanks and apcs, mutant vehicle hijackers, artilleries... this game has weak prism tank ripoffs and mechas with gimped weapons on them.
I'm not a big fan of the controls as well. They're missing a lot of important hot key functions. The current ones aren't that well placed either.

I never liked the deformable terrain in TS. To me, it was a complete mess, and it screwed up unit movement.

I like how they took the Company of Heroes format for SuperWeapons. They made them cost money, which is a good idea considering that the ones in Generals / BFME were completely overused. Particularly BFME2, where timing the use of the Powers at the right time was becomes the whole point of the game later on.

I hear a lot of complaints about the Rail Guns, but in my opinion the EMP blasts of Nod's Raider Buggies is just as dangerous. Those buggies cost only 400, and can shut down vehicles / structures with good radius. 2500/400 is 6.25 Buggies per Mammoth. I'm sure with 6 buggies, you can charge a Mammoth and shut it down.

Avatars are also looking to be very good units. I can see myself combining units that are about to die to not "waste" them.

I for one am glad the Ion cannon can effectively kill things now. In the game I managed to beat brutal AI with it was instrumental in clearing the path for my mammoths the start the steamrolling.

While this isn't totally direct at you, but it seems Nod players have this wierd idea in their heads that tells them Nod is supposed to be able to go toe-to-toe with GDI in terms of tank treads. Unfortunately for them they quickly find that is not the case at all. Instead try harassing GDI's expansionary and tiberium harvesting efforts (nailing surveyors, harvesters and refineries) and seeing to it that GDI doesn't get mammoths or doesn't get enough of them to smash you in the face.
The new Ion Cannon is definitely impressive, so good in fact that it makes the Nuke look like crap.

I agree about Nod. People expect to just build tanks and run the other guy over. That isn't what Nod is about. Their units are faster, and better for harassment. I can't wait to abuse those Stealth Tanks. Probably my biggest complaint, is their lack of a infantry transport outside of the air unit. That air transport is terribly annoying to use.

Some naming mistakes, bits of the tech tree and game art does annoy me as a CnC veteran. For example, the GDI have the ability to train grenadiers AND rocket soldiers. Wtf? The latter was always a NOD thing, the GDI are not supposed to have any rocket soldiers. Also, some GDI units possess the stealth ability which is another trait only meant for the NOD as it made them unique. The NOD Airstrip is also nowhere to be found. What happened to the sub-terranean ability of the NOD flame tank? I hope to see it return in the full version. Also, many units we got to know in Tiberian Sun/Firestorm are missing in CnC3 but they are probably in the full game, or maybe planned in future expansions.
I was also disappointed in Nod losing the Airstrip. I'm glad that the subterranean abilities are gone, because they were just absolutely ridiculous in TS. I don't see a problem with GDI having a bit of stealth, as Nod is still far superior in this category.

Overall, I enjoyed the demo. I've always been more focused on the singleplayer side for C&C3, and I'm relieved that it looks to be awesome. The gameplay itself is solid, but after Generals, BFME1 & 2, I have no faith in them producing a truly "competitive" multiplayer experience. It's been proven that EA doesn't update their games, so I don't expect them to start now. I think it's hilarious that the game's going to be in WCG 2007.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Newbie1234; Mar 11, 2007 at 07:11 PM.
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:34 PM #75 of 113
Played the demo, can't really decide if it's going to be WOW like the original C&C. The FMV's look promising. I'm looking forward to that at least.

Gameplay wise I'm not sure yet. I mean we are talking EA here, so I kinda expect shake my fists when the time comes. I'm at least happy I'm able to run the game. When I saw the system requirements I was worried I wasn't able to run it at all, but it seems to run alright.

So far what I don't like is the cooldown abilities cost money, and quite frankly don't seem all that great. Not too happy about how all the buildings look either. I often had to hoover over a building and wait for the tooltip to show up just to figure out what that was. Can't help but wish Frank Klepacki was back either. This music doesn't stand out at all.

I think i'll go buy that C&C collection and go play all the previous games before I start the new one. I don't remember much of TS, but didn't Kane die? err...twice?

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] The Command & Conquer 3!! OMG! OMG! thread!